PDA

View Full Version : The Broncos need more than Ayers to improve their defense - Michael Lombardi

titan
06-23-2009, 11:54 AM
The Broncos need more than Ayers to improve their defense. Michael Lombardi

Monday, my colleague at the Post and lover of the Houston Texans, Matt Bowen, went over potential impact players in the AFC West. I loved some of the names on his list, especially Robert Ayers of Denver, who, if the Broncos are going to get any pass rush, is going to have to have an impact. But I see mathematics as the most important part of any player making an impact (more about that later).

Can one player have an impact on a defense that was as bad as the Broncos were last year? That’s a fair question. Certainly, Ayers is expected to provide an upgrade, but the Broncos need to get back to basics. They must get good on defense in one area -- the red zone -- before their defense can be impactful.

When you look at the great turnarounds in recent years, the Dolphins of 2008 provide a tremendous blueprint for the Broncos to follow. The Dolphins realized they were not going to become good on defense in just one game, or in one month. It was an evolving process that started with their ability to practice. Yes, Allen Iverson, I said practice. The Dolphins improved on defense last year because they practiced their fundamentals and their techniques, and as the year went along, they improved.

Training camp is a really a mathematical problem for coaches. There are certain amounts of predetermined practices in which fans can come out to watch their favorite teams. In those practices, there are a defined number of plays -- or repetitions as coaches call them. Practice repetitions are directly tied to the time allowed for each period. So there might be a two-hour practice, 120 minutes, but in that time, there are 60 repetitions in all phases of the game. For example, if a team is working on its inside run drill, it might want to get 12 plays/repetitions in that period. In camp, there are normally three groups of players -- three teams of offensive and defensive players -- so some players might only get two repetitions. Before the assistant coaches leave for vacation, they must know how many repetitions each player will be able to get before the first game, in all phases of the game. Clearly, the more reps, the better chance a player has to either improve or, in some cases, fail to meet the challenge.

When injuries become a part of the above equation, the amount of repetitions is reduced, resulting in limited progress for the player and the team. This is why Miami was able to keep improving last season. Its mathematical numbers worked. The players who needed repetitions were healthy enough to get their reps, which allowed them to improve. As practice starts, you’ll read about players discussing the limited repetitions they’ve received in practice, thus limiting their chances to learn the scheme and improve in the scheme. This is why, as a personnel director, you must know how many reps each player receives -- and at times urge the coaches to give a certain player more. Or urge them to give less.

The challenge for head coach Josh McDaniels and defensive coordinator Mike Nolan is not to improve the overall defense but to become proficient in one area -- the red zone. They need to overload their team with every situation it will see in the red area, making them “game ready” as soon as possible. The ability to hold teams to field goals will a determining factor in their success this year on defense. The Broncos will have to come to grips with two facts before the season starts: One, teams will successfully move the ball on them, and two, teams will be able to exploit their weaknesses once the season starts.

Let us touch on the second factor first. The Broncos, I’m sure, are currently optimistic about their defense; they’ve been able to work on certain areas within their scheme against one common opponent. Once the season starts, the new scheme and new designs can mask any problems the defense has for the first month. When October rolls around, the scheme, the talent and the weaknesses will come to the forefront, allowing teams to attack them with vigor. How will the Broncos handle this? I hope the same way the Dolphins did last year, by relying on good techniques, good fundamentals and the best red-zone defense in the NFL.

Teams will move the ball on the Broncos because they’re a work in progress on defense. They have too many new parts, new schemes and new players. Their challenge will be to remain disciplined, keep the scheme simple, keep working on the same fundamentals and principles and, most important, run what they practiced all summer. Too often, teams (many I’ve been with) practice one kind of scheme all summer, then change it once the season starts, losing all the repetitions and losing the mathematics game. Trust me, this didn’t happen in Miami.

Ayers alone can’t make an impact, but he can make one if his mathematics grade is passing -- along with many of his teammates.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-morning-news-Getting-back-to-basics.html

Northman
06-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Despite the fact that this team really doesnt have a pass rusher i think the new scheme will bring some fresh blood to mentality of what happened the last couple of years. Although i dont expect us to be a top 10 defense i do think we will surprise some people with an major improvement both in execution and mentality.

CoachChaz
06-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Is there anything in this article that is new, revealing or even remotely thought out?

powderaddict
06-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Is there anything in this article that is new, revealing or even remotely thought out?

I thought it was interesting, and provided a good angle as to what to expect.

I just want to see improvement, a sign the defense is going in the right direction. I'm not expecting the Baltimore Ravens, I want to see better tackling, teamwork, and more turnovers.

Obviously Ayers isn't going to carry the defense - but he can be a big part of the long term solution. The draft this year IMO was more slanted towards long term solutions rather than instant or short term, which I'm fine with, as long as it is a solution.

WARHORSE
06-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Well, if anything, we know Ayers is getting reps..........and hes making plays.

Thats in shorts.

But I believe hes gonna be the real deal, and I caint twait to see the pads go on this guy.

Learning curve yes.........but my man is all about FOOTBALL. He is HUNGRY.

And hungry people eat things.......

I remember the media and the team early on whispering about Eddie Royal and how he stood out last year.

And now we got the same thing going on with Ayers. People are noticing him.

I love the kid and if I only get to see him paste Rivers face first in the dirt a couple of times for me this season, the season will be a plus.:coffee:

titan
06-23-2009, 12:35 PM
I thought he made a good point about sticking with the defensive scheme you practice with in the summer. Under Shanahan that wasn't always the case (two years ago the broncos changed defensive scheme midseason)

NightTrainLayne
06-23-2009, 12:39 PM
I thought he made a good point about sticking with the defensive scheme you practice with in the summer. Under Shanahan that wasn't always the case (two years ago the broncos changed defensive scheme midseason)

Two years ago they changed virtually everything (offensively) in week one and lost the opening game at St. Louis. . .. and the team never got back on track.

This per the Stephan Fatsis book and several quotes from upset players therein.

It makes perfect sense, but too many coaches, including Shanny outsmart themselves sometimes. Here's hoping that McDaniels and Nolan don't fall into that trap.

weazel
06-23-2009, 12:42 PM
"The Broncos need more than Ayers to improve their defense. Michael Lombardi"

This guy is a freakin' genius!!

man, I'm cranky today.

powderaddict
06-23-2009, 12:45 PM
"The Broncos need more than Ayers to improve their defense. Michael Lombardi"

This guy is a freakin' genius!!

man, I'm cranky today.

And unable to read the article apparantly :P :D

WARHORSE
06-23-2009, 12:51 PM
How about Ayers and an entirely new secondary lookin at who played the most last year?

Bell played a little more than Champ did last year, so the secondary is totally new.

How about having safeties that tackle? Does that help a defense?

Corners that tackle?

30 lbs of muscle added to two LB spots?

How does Ayers fit into that equation?

I caint twait.:coffee:

weazel
06-23-2009, 12:53 PM
And unable to read the article apparantly :P :D

I read it, just didnt find anything worth while in it. If you didn't know that players need practice to get better, than you might want to know some other surprising things!

1. sky is blue
2. Tuesday follows Monday
3. the sun is the center of our solar system

I can give you more, but I think this will be enough for you for now. :elefant:

broncofanatic1987
06-23-2009, 01:12 PM
The article is in line with a thought I had a few days ago about the defense. Improving the red zone defense is the most important thing for the Broncos to do. I think we often get distracted by the idea that the defense should become dominant in all phases right away. The fact is, the way things look now, we have to expect that offenses will be able to move the ball between the twenties. I think we are going to have to hope the defense is similar to the days of Mecklenberg when the they were one of the best red zone defenses in the league, at least until they got to a Super Bowl anyway:tsk::mad:. If the Broncos can stop offenses at the edge of the red zone and keep them out of the end zone by taking advantage of the shortened area to cover, they stand a good chance of helping the team win some games.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Lombardi, you are stupid as shit. The Denver Broncos drafted Smith, Bruton, McBath and brought in a bunch of other young players as UDFA rookies in hopes to help improve this team now and for the future. Piss of an article, IMHO.

topscribe
06-23-2009, 01:32 PM

I'm not sure if much of anything I have read or heard in the media has been
very well thought out, Coach. It seems all these gurus have been basing their
opinions on last year's defense, then implying that it has been made worse by all
these "new players."

What they seem to overlook is that last year's front seven was small. Very
small. Although their DTs were 300-pounders, their DEs ranged from 260 to 275.
That is tiny by today's standards, and it takes a very special player (e.g.,
Freeney) to overcome that lack of heft, and that is usually one guy, not the
entire position.

LB was much the same with Webster (230) at MLB and Winborn (230), Green
(228) and Woodyard (219) outside.

All the sudden, with the Broncos going largely to the 3-4, they are BIG. Last
year's 260-275 DEs are now at OLB, and the DEs are now 300+ lbs. When this
is paired with an extreme upgrade in the backfield, we have a defense that
resembles last year's in NO way, shape, or form . . . and it is led by a hard-
nosed DC in Nolan, as well as LB coach Don Marindale from the Raiders and DL
coach Wayne Nunnely from the Chargers . . . in both cases which were
strengths of those respective teams.

Come to think of it, I hope everyone keeps thinking the Broncos' defense will
be a walk-over this year. I believe they will be in for a surprise, which is what
I want. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

-----

outdoor_miner
06-23-2009, 01:34 PM
What are you guys complaining about? It's not a negative article at all... Are you guys only looking at the title? He talks about some ways that the Broncos defense could actually become a good defense this year. Most specifically - he points to the red zone, and stopping people from scoring touchdowns. He points out that due to a new scheme, they will likely give up some yardage between the 20s... But, if they can improve in the red-zone, they can still be a much improved defense. Not a bad way of looking at it, and certainly not an overly pessimistic view.

I also thought that the "reps" angle was interesting, as it speaks specifically to something the Broncos have done each of the past 2 seasons. In 2007, we basically gave up on Bates system mid-way through the year. In 2008, we started "experimenting" with a 3-4 when things weren't going so well. Is it any wonder that we completely sucked both years? Perhaps a dedication to Nolan's system throughout the year will allow us to have a defense that improves as the year goes on, rather than one that fades down the stretch.

Anyway - I guess I just don't see the reason for the hate... Seems like a article where he is basically "rooting" for the Broncos D to improve, and then he provides some reasons as to why they have reason to be optimistic.

rationalfan
06-23-2009, 01:42 PM

are there any comments on this board that are revealing or even remotely thought out?

topscribe
06-23-2009, 01:53 PM
are there any comments on this board that are revealing or even remotely thought out?

In a word, yes.

Coach, in fact, has posted many such comments, as have several other posters here. :coffee:

-----

Traveler
06-23-2009, 01:54 PM
When looking at the team from say the last 3-4 years, one had to wonder how many reps the defensive players actually were alloted, if any. Did they even practice against the type different scenarios mentioned in the article?

From what I've been hearing from defensive players say this offseason, they are finally doing those types of things. Maybe even for the first time. Who knows? Glad to say it, but it sounds like we finally have coaches that preach fundamentals. Thank goodness!

T.K.O.
06-23-2009, 02:20 PM
oooh ooh...i know....what if we add ayers and....teach everybody else to TACKLE !:defense:

CoachChaz
06-23-2009, 02:52 PM
What are you guys complaining about? It's not a negative article at all... Are you guys only looking at the title? He talks about some ways that the Broncos defense could actually become a good defense this year. Most specifically - he points to the red zone, and stopping people from scoring touchdowns. He points out that due to a new scheme, they will likely give up some yardage between the 20s... But, if they can improve in the red-zone, they can still be a much improved defense. Not a bad way of looking at it, and certainly not an overly pessimistic view.

I also thought that the "reps" angle was interesting, as it speaks specifically to something the Broncos have done each of the past 2 seasons. In 2007, we basically gave up on Bates system mid-way through the year. In 2008, we started "experimenting" with a 3-4 when things weren't going so well. Is it any wonder that we completely sucked both years? Perhaps a dedication to Nolan's system throughout the year will allow us to have a defense that improves as the year goes on, rather than one that fades down the stretch.

Anyway - I guess I just don't see the reason for the hate... Seems like a article where he is basically "rooting" for the Broncos D to improve, and then he provides some reasons as to why they have reason to be optimistic.

I wasnt "hating"...just simply stating that this article was straight from the files of Captain Obvious.

LRtagger
06-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Wow that article was NOT insightful

oops...I mean

Wow that article was insightful

NOT

weazel
06-24-2009, 01:22 PM

I know mine aren't! :eek:

WARHORSE
06-24-2009, 01:49 PM

What do you consider to be "thought out"?

:D

Dirk
06-25-2009, 05:49 AM
The fundementals are of course essential.

One of my biggest concerns this year is the conditioning. Did they get a new staff for that? If they did I must have missed it.

Traveler
06-25-2009, 08:42 AM
The fundementals are of course essential.

One of my biggest concerns this year is the conditioning. Did they get a new staff for that? If they did I must have missed it.

I'd like to see an article done on the conditioning regimen for the team.