PDA

View Full Version : Bates says he has no ill will toward Pack

TXBRONC
10-26-2007, 06:53 PM
I for one hope that Bates can get his troops worked to a controlled frenzy. And I highlighted a little tidbit from last Sunday night's game. ;)

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2007/oct/26/bates-says-he-has-no-ill-will-toward-pack/

Bates says he has no ill will toward Pack
Broncos aide was finalist for Green Bay job in 2006
Associated Press
Friday, October 26, 2007

ENGLEWOOD — Jim Bates has no animosity or hard feelings toward Green Bay.

The Broncos defensive boss is at peace with the team's decision.

Share your video, photos and news tips.
Bates was a finalist for the Packers head coaching vacancy in 2006, before losing out to Mike McCarthy.

"Life goes on," Bates said Thursday. "I just moved on."

With Green Bay coming to town on Monday night, Bates has a chance to show the Packers that their decision not make him head coach is Denver's gain.

Yet he doesn't view it like that. It's simply another game, nothing more.

"You can't get that way," Bates said. "Green Bay counts one game."

Bates spent the 2005 season in Green Bay as the team's defensive coordinator. When the Packers fired coach Mike Sherman after the season, Bates interviewed for the vacancy. But after he wasn't offered the coaching job, he elected to sit out of football for a year rather than return.

"I had a great opportunity, didn't get it," Bates said. "I was disappointed. I just moved on."

It was the second time Bates was passed over for a head coaching position. Bates served as the interim coach of Miami in 2004 when Dave Wannstedt resigned. But the Dolphins hired Nick Saban the following year.

The Broncos came calling last January, and Bates was hired to help run the defense, replacing defensive coordinator Larry Coyer.

The transition, though, has been far from seamless.

Bates had no problems implementing his concepts at other stops, but the Broncos have been slow to pick up his concepts. The team's run defense has ranked near the bottom of the league all season.

Bates' defenses in Miami finished no lower than 10th in the league in total yards allowed. The Dolphins didn't allow an individual 100-yard rusher over the last four games of 2002 and the entire 2003 season.

That hasn't been the case so far in Denver. The Broncos have allowed three 100-yard rushers through the first six games.

The Broncos run defense showed improvement against Pittsburgh last Sunday night, limiting the Steelers' explosive rushing attack to just 119 yards.

"We made some strides," coach Mike Shanahan said. "If you don't stop the run, I don't care what level you're at, you're going to have a hard time having success."

Now, Denver draws a Packers team that's at the bottom of the league in rushing offense. Green Bay is struggling to find consistency on the ground, averaging just 65.7 yards a game.

Henry update

Broncos running back Travis Henry didn't practice Thursday due to sore ribs.

"We'll see how he is (Friday)," Shanahan said. "Hopefully, he'll get some reps."

omac
10-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Very nice article, TXBRONC! :cheers:

It's a good thing Bates is acting a little low key about this. It's always better not to give the opposing team something to be fired up about; it's something Belichick regularly does, it's something Unitas' Colts used to do, and it's something a young San Diego team has to learn. Never give an opposing team fuel to play harder. :D

Like Mikey says, "If you don't stop the run, I don't care what level you're at, you're going to have a hard time having success." Hopefully, our defense can continue to play as consistently as they did against the Steelers. :cheers:

TXBRONC
10-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Very nice article, TXBRONC! :cheers:

It's a good thing Bates is acting a little low key about this. It's always better not to give the opposing team something to be fired up about; it's something Belichick regularly does, it's something Unitas' Colts used to do, and it's something a young San Diego team has to learn. Never give an opposing team fuel to play harder. :D

Like Mikey says, "If you don't stop the run, I don't care what level you're at, you're going to have a hard time having success." Hopefully, our defense can continue to play as consistently as they did against the Steelers. :cheers:

I do hope the fact that we are playing three consecutive teams that are weak running the ball will help to get this defense into a good groove.

Lonestar
10-27-2007, 05:34 PM
good find and if any really believes that the defensive pressure will not be tweaked up this week is smoking something..

TXBRONC
10-27-2007, 05:42 PM
good find and if any really believes that the defensive pressure will not be tweaked up this week is smoking something..

That should be a given considering they are going up against a future Hall of Fame quarterback.

Stargazer
10-29-2007, 02:03 AM

It will. He's human. And he will do his best this week to stick it to the Packers offense.

sneakers
10-29-2007, 05:43 AM
If I remember correctly Bates got fired from the Packers as the scapegoat for "4th and 26".

The playoff game where the Packers had to stop the Eagles on 4th down and 26 yards to go and they would have taken over on downs and run out the clock, and gone off to the NFC championship game. The eagles got 27 yards on a post play over the middle...and the eagles finished off the drive with a touchdown, and the eagles won the game.