PDA

View Full Version : Champ Bailey on Knowshon Moreno and more..

WARHORSE
06-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Champ interview by 2LiveStews

Asked about drafting Knowshon high in the first round.

"Last year I thought he was the best player in college football, I mean, regardless of who won the Heisman. That guy can play football. And hes shown me, every reason why we drafted him in the first round.

That guy can play football. He loves the game. He understands it. I mean, hes got a lotta learnin ta do, but yeah, I guarantee you by the end of the season this boys gonna be doin good things for us."

Sounds good to me Champ.............oh and uh.......Cicero too.:coffee:

http://football.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=football&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.orangemane.com%2F

GEM
06-22-2009, 01:43 PM
I dunno about anyone else, but just the thought of a RB of this type behind THIS oline.....WOWSA...is it August yet? :D

WARHORSE
06-22-2009, 01:57 PM
I dunno about anyone else, but just the thought of a RB of this type behind THIS oline.....WOWSA...is it August yet? :D

Yeah, makes ya go: BAMBINGO!

.......huh? :D

I caint twait.:elefant:

CoachChaz
06-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Probably the main reason I feel better each day about Orton. Defenses cant play nickel all day against a dynamic RB and cant play 8 in the box all day against a spread offense.

cuzz4169
06-22-2009, 02:43 PM
I said before Denver even thought about drafting him that Knowshon is the next LT.

Northman
06-22-2009, 03:10 PM
I expect good things from Moreno but i also know both he and Champ are Bulldogs but who better to know right? Good find Warhorse.

HORSEPOWER 56
06-22-2009, 03:33 PM
I really hope Knowshon can stay healthy because the guy is a force. I got to watch almost every Georgia game the past two years and there were few defenses that could stop him. Even in the SEC where he got to play pro caliber defenses almost weekly.

I also think the Lions got a good one with Stafford. Georgia's O-line wasn't exactly spectacular (in '07 it was all freshman and sophomores) and both played very good defenses and had a lot of success. A lot of folks underrated both Stafford and Moreno coming out. I think they're going to be STUDs for a long time to come.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-22-2009, 03:51 PM
I wish I would have had my friends recording me while we were watching the draft to get my reaction. You'd of all loved it, but you will all love Knowshon more. He will be the running back to ever sport the Broncos colors.

pnbronco
06-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Woo Hoo, I love it. I'm just like a little kid and can hardly wait till Aug and camp here I come. I want to see this kid and everyone else too.....

T.K.O.
06-22-2009, 05:36 PM
moreno will bring back balance to the broncos attack ,if torain gets healthy we will have an awesome 1-2 punch at rb that weve never had.
throw in a touch of hillis here and there and ,i think we should have the one of the top running games in the league.
and orton may not be the next elway,but he is a smart qb with a very good understanding of what he needs to do to win games ! and thats all we should need !:salute:

rcsodak
06-22-2009, 06:24 PM
I wish I would have had my friends recording me while we were watching the draft to get my reaction. You'd of all loved it, but you will all love Knowshon more. He will be the running back to ever sport the Broncos colors.

I'm thinking Every Denver running back has wore the colors. :rolleyes:

BroncoWave
06-22-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm thinking Every Denver running back has wore the colors. :rolleyes:

I think he meant to put the word "best" in that phrase.

LRtagger
06-22-2009, 07:20 PM
I hope he can stay healthy because he is going to be special.

Shazam!
06-22-2009, 09:30 PM
The Broncos have been missing a feature-type Back for YEARS. Whether they are a run-first team or not by design doesn't matter. They needed a guy capable of being the workhorse. They got one finally. Very happy with the drafting of this guy, and he can help balance all the other questionable draft choices if he turns out to be a star.

WARHORSE
06-22-2009, 11:15 PM
I said before Denver even thought about drafting him that Knowshon is the next LT.

I'll settle for the next TD.............

............and the one after that.........and the one after that.........and

the one after that................

:salute:

Dirk
06-23-2009, 05:57 AM
I'll settle for the next TD

That's exactly what I thought after reading about all the running backs prior to the draft. He seemed to have the skills that fit our zone blocking scheme. However that scheme will change this year somewhat. He still has Turner to help make him a stud NFL RB!!

Tned
06-23-2009, 08:04 AM
That's exactly what I thought after reading about all the running backs prior to the draft. He seemed to have the skills that fit our zone blocking scheme. However that scheme will change this year somewhat. He still has Turner to help make him a stud NFL RB!!

Yea, it is a little unclear how a RB will be used in McD's scheme. In NE, it seemed that some games an RB would have a decent load, but the next week they might be practically unused. I based that not so much on following NE games, but unfortunately having a couple of their RBs in FF a couple times. While Denver has always been a killer do to RBBC, NE has been a fantasy killer based on week to week not knowing if the RB would get 10 carries or 25. It seems they often rely on short, controlled passing in lieu of a running game. Since we just spend a number 12 on an RB, it will be interesting to see how he is used (assuming he wins the starting job).

That aside, what I have read about Moreno is exciting. While he is not a burner in terms of 40 times (then again neither was TD, as has been talked about over the years), but he is supposed to get to his top speed VERY fast, which is important for a RB. So, maybe he gets caught from behind on 80 yard runds, but he is supposed to get to the second level in a blink of an eye. I have also read he is a great blocker and pass catcher, and supposedly is very good at following his blocks. It all sounds good, so I am excited to see him on the field.

FWIW, I hope Torrain is healthy and wins a roster spot, because I think Buckholter and Jordan are so/so veteran options at best, and I would much rather see most carries going to Moreno, Torrain and hillis.

Lonestar
06-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Whether by necessity or design NE has really not had just one RB but has relied on THREE RB's to get their yardage.

2 of them hovering between 700-900 Each and the third getting 300-500 and alot of recieving yards/TD's.

Just how much Moreno and how is IMO very much up in the air. My guess is about 1000 plus catches.

TXBRONC
06-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Yea, it is a little unclear how a RB will be used in McD's scheme. In NE, it seemed that some games an RB would have a decent load, but the next week they might be practically unused. I based that not so much on following NE games, but unfortunately having a couple of their RBs in FF a couple times. While Denver has always been a killer do to RBBC, NE has been a fantasy killer based on week to week not knowing if the RB would get 10 carries or 25. It seems they often rely on short, controlled passing in lieu of a running game. Since we just spend a number 12 on an RB, it will be interesting to see how he is used (assuming he wins the starting job).

That aside, what I have read about Moreno is exciting. While he is not a burner in terms of 40 times (then again neither was TD, as has been talked about over the years), but he is supposed to get to his top speed VERY fast, which is important for a RB. So, maybe he gets caught from behind on 80 yard runds, but he is supposed to get to the second level in a blink of an eye. I have also read he is a great blocker and pass catcher, and supposedly is very good at following his blocks. It all sounds good, so I am excited to see him on the field.

FWIW, I hope Torrain is healthy and wins a roster spot, because I think Buckholter and Jordan are so/so veteran options at best, and I would much rather see most carries going to Moreno, Torrain and hillis.

When the Patriots first aquired Corey Dillion they did use him as a featured back for a year. He had over 300 carries and 1600 yards rushing.

CoachChaz
06-23-2009, 11:13 AM
When the Patriots first aquired Corey Dillion they did use him as a featured back for a year. He had over 300 carries and 1600 yards rushing.

Prior to McD running the offense

TXBRONC
06-23-2009, 11:24 AM

True but by that time the didn't running back who could carry the 20 plus times a game.

Bronco Bible
06-23-2009, 11:33 AM

Also prior to Moss

CoachChaz
06-23-2009, 11:35 AM
True but by that time the didn't running back who could carry the 20 plus times a game.

I wont doubt that McD will run the ball alot if he has a reliable back.

BroncoWave
06-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Whether by necessity or design NE has really not had just one RB but has relied on THREE RB's to get their yardage.

2 of them hovering between 700-900 Each and the third getting 300-500 and alot of recieving yards/TD's.

Just how much Moreno and how is IMO very much up in the air. My guess is about 1000 plus catches.

Denver isn't going to waste a 1st round pick on a RB to have him split carries with 2 other backs. If he stays healthy he will rush for at least 1000 this year.

TXBRONC
06-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Denver isn't going to waste a 1st round pick on a RB to have him split carries with 2 other backs. If he stays healthy he will rush for at least 1000 this year.

If this were Shanahan I would agree with 100% but considering where McDaniels came from I'm not so sure.

BroncoWave
06-23-2009, 12:55 PM
If this were Shanahan I would agree with 100% but considering where McDaniels came from I'm not so sure.

Contrary to popular opinion McDaniels isn't stupid. He might not be the best PR guy but he can coach offense. If he sees that Moreno has the talent to be a featured back, I have no doubt he will use him that way.

WARHORSE
06-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Yep. They tried to force feed Maroney as a primary back until he finally ran their hopes into the dirt.

If Moreno does well, Im sure he will run alot.

But Buckhalter is going to do well also when he runs.

You'll learn to appreciate Buck. Hes a baller.:coffee:

T.K.O.
06-23-2009, 01:35 PM
the whole philosophy behind what mcd is installing in denver is "beat em by exploiting their weakness"
that means we may pound the ball 60 times one week and throw 60 the next depending on the defensive strengths of the team we face.
i agree that with that scheme it is unlikely we will see moreno get 1500+ (or a t.d. like season)but the good news is that should keep him fresh for the later games and ....dare i say?.....dare,dare !....THE PLAYOFFS !

Requiem / The Dagda
06-23-2009, 01:37 PM
I think he meant to put the word "best" in that phrase.

You bet I did, BTB! I'll even go the whole 9 yards and say he'll be the best black running back we've ever had too.

T.K.O.
06-23-2009, 01:41 PM
You bet I did, BTB! I'll even go the whole 9 yards and say he'll be the best black running back we've ever had too.

WHAT ?...blasphemer! you take that back...and never utter those words again !(at least not until he rushes for over 2000 yds twice and we win 3 superbowls because of him):salute:

honz
06-23-2009, 11:52 PM
What if he blows out his knee in his first preseason game and is never the same again?

Requiem / The Dagda
06-24-2009, 12:08 AM
What if he blows out his knee in his first preseason game and is never the same again?

How badly do you want to be banned from posting on these forums ever again?

Dirk
06-24-2009, 06:18 AM
I think he will be an awesome back. The only thing that scares me is that he tries extremely hard to get those extra yards by jumping over defenders. That could cause some serious knee issues in the NFL. Hopefully Bobby has told him enough of that. :D

Den21vsBal19
06-24-2009, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the happy thought :tsk:

(Besides, with our training staff, it's more likely to be a groin ;))

T.K.O.
06-24-2009, 06:01 PM

oh yeah....well....what IF he plays 14 years and rushes for 28,000 yards and 367 td's...crushing every known record for rb's in the nfl.....yeah
what if that happens?;):D
but seriously with orton firing pinpoint accurate passes all over the field,setting a broncos single season passing yards and touchdown record he'll be lucky to get the ball enough to get hurt !
any more questions?:salute: