PDA

View Full Version : LT considered signing with Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
06-23-2012, 06:26 PM
LaDainian Tomlinson officially retired as a San Diego Charger on Monday.

But Tomlinson told the San Diego Union-Tribune on Saturday that he considered joining one of the Chargers' main rivals -- the Denver Broncos.

"The only team I really gave a thought to was the Broncos, because of Peyton (Manning)," Tomlinson told the Union-Tribune. "We talked. Tom (Condon, Tomlinson's agent) talked with them ... It made me pause a little (and think), 'Was this what I really want to do?' & "I said, 'They got Peyton, they have a good defense already; they went deep in the playoffs with Tim Tebow, what are they going to do with Peyton?' I seriously thought about it."

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8089472/ladainian-tomlinson-says-considered-signing-denver-broncos-retiring

Ziggy
06-23-2012, 06:29 PM
It says that his agent spoke with the Broncos, but it doesn't say who initiated that conversation. I wonder if the Broncos had any interest?

SR
06-23-2012, 06:47 PM
I would've had mixed feelings had that happened

Denver Native (Carol)
06-23-2012, 07:14 PM
from article - page 2

Barry Sanders did not depart Detroit to resurface in Green Bay. Emmitt Smith may have hung on too long -- but not with the New York Giants.

I told LT on Saturday I needed a moment to get my head around the fact it was even a possibility he would wear orange.

“Exactly!” he said, laughing like he does and actually hitting my arm. “I know. And you know what? At the end of the day I was thinking, ‘I can’t do that.’ It’s not as bad as being a Raider -- but almost.”

rest - http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jun/23/tomlinson-considered-continuing-career-gasp-denver/?page=2#article

sneakers
06-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Tony Dorsett anyone?

Rick
06-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Neil Smith anyone?

BORDERLINE
06-23-2012, 08:58 PM
I dont see what he could bring to the table this late in his career. We dont need him

BroncoWave
06-23-2012, 10:12 PM
I'm glad that didn't happen. **** LT.

Ziggy
06-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Neil Smith anyone?

Neil Smith was a big piece of our defensive success in Super Bowls 97 and 98. I don't see LT adding that much to this team at that stage in his career.

sneakers
06-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Neil Smith was a big piece of our defensive success in Super Bowls 97 and 98. I don't see LT adding that much to this team at that stage in his career.

I think he meant that other chefs DLineman a few years ago that we brought in and was an absolute disaster...Rice?

weazel
06-23-2012, 11:11 PM
rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8089472/ladainian-tomlinson-says-considered-signing-denver-broncos-retiring

whew... looks like we dodged a bullet!

dogfish
06-24-2012, 02:22 AM
I dont see what he could bring to the table this late in his career. We dont need him

he's VASTLY more polished and competent as a receiver and blocker than any back on the roster, and that's exactly what you need in manning's offense. . . i at least halfway expected us to go after him, this doesn't surprise me a bit-- i bet we told him to stay in shape even if he doesn't sign anywhere. . . if willis and knowshon both end up hurt at some point-- an absolute possibility given their respective histories-- LT is exactly the type of back who can come in and keep the offense running. . . and peyton could care less whether denver fans are conditioned to hate the guy, or if T has to deal with a bunch of bitching about it here. . . :laugh:

SoCalImport
06-24-2012, 08:19 AM
he's VASTLY more polished and competent as a receiver and blocker than any back on the roster, and that's exactly what you need in manning's offense. . . i at least halfway expected us to go after him, this doesn't surprise me a bit-- i bet we told him to stay in shape even if he doesn't sign anywhere. . . if willis and knowshon both end up hurt at some point-- an absolute possibility given their respective histories-- LT is exactly the type of back who can come in and keep the offense running. . . and peyton could care less whether denver fans are conditioned to hate the guy, or if T has to deal with a bunch of bitching about it here. . . :laugh:

Hey. If it helps us I say go for it. I do wonder if he'd be looking for more than the veterans minimum though.

Rick
06-24-2012, 09:44 AM
oh I wasn't saying he would be as productive for us as Neil Smith when he came to use from the Chiefs, I was more talking to those that wouldn't want him here because he was a former Charger.

I don't look at it as I don't want him because he use to chew my team up for yards and TDs twice a year, I look at it as a guy that finally saw the light! :)

Chef Zambini
06-24-2012, 09:53 AM
at the very least bronco fans should be flattered and appreciate the magnetic power of peyton manning !

I have never been a fan of LT but always respected his talent!

The fact that he considered our broncos the best avenue to the SB should be encouraging, at the very least, to all of us!
I agree, that his talents, though diminished, would fit our PM offense perfectly.
he sure as F is better than no-sho moreno !

stay in shape, LT, perhaps you will get that call at some point in the season !

Pudge
06-25-2012, 06:09 AM
http://m.nfl.com/news/09000d5d82a18ae6/

Pudge
06-25-2012, 06:12 AM
Somehow I messed up sharing a link, but it says the broncos were never interested

CrazyHorse
06-25-2012, 08:04 AM
He wants to pull a Favre and spite his former team. I say cut Moreno and sign him. Huge improvement and would save money.

Pudge
06-25-2012, 08:15 AM
I think Moreno has a break out year... he's got talent just hasn't had a chance to really get into a groove

CrazyHorse
06-25-2012, 12:12 PM
I think Moreno has a break out year... he's got talent just hasn't had a chance to really get into a groove

Probably because he's always injured.

Chef Zambini
06-25-2012, 12:20 PM
He wants to pull a Favre and spite his former team. I say cut Moreno and sign him. Huge improvement and would save money.no this is the exact opposite of his motivations! he signed a one day contract so he could retire a charger.
if he wanted to spite his former team he would not have done that! this is not a raiders / marcus allen situation.

HORSEPOWER 56
06-25-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm surprised to see some guys hesitate on LT. It's like Peyton as far as I'm concerned... yeah, both had our defense's number for years, but it doesn't mean they couldn't do great things for us as a Bronco. Is he the same guy he was? No, but the guy can still play. I'm all for having guys who can upgrade the team and LT is as good as anyone we currently have... seriously. We'll see if McGahee can keep it up this year, we'll see if Moreno can stay healthy or even make the roster, and we'll see if Hillman will amount to something. LT is a relatively proven commodity who is still very useful in a rotation.

Dzone
06-26-2012, 12:58 AM
I never liked LT ever since he ripped his teammates for losing playoff games. He retired just at the right time, because his skills and speed were going to be dreadful this season.
He will be a first ballot HOFer, which sucks

Ravage!!!
06-26-2012, 10:35 AM
I don't know why it sucks... the guy was an AMAZING football player. He absolutely deserves first round ballot.

As far as him signing here, if it were ever a possibility (the broncos may not have considered it, because they were never really given the opportunity to consider it)... I think he would be a solid addition for the role that he would have been playing. Obviously not an every down back, but a guy that is EXTREMELY good a picking up blocks, knowing his routes, and making plays from the backfield as a receiver.

Chef Zambini
06-26-2012, 12:29 PM
not to mention he has a better red zone passing rating than ANYONE, EVER in the NFL !
the guy threw 12 passes, 7 for TDs and zero INTs !

Ravage!!!
06-26-2012, 12:31 PM
not to mention he has a better red zone passing rating than ANYONE, EVER in the NFL !
the guy threw 12 passes, 7 for TDs and zero INTs !

EXACTLY!!! We should play him at safety!!

Chef Zambini
06-26-2012, 12:42 PM
saw an interview with him last night and he said the best guy he ever played with was lorenzo neal!
I love me some fullbacks !
... even more than safeties !

Jsteve01
06-26-2012, 03:44 PM
I always wondered why we never made a play for Neal. he was under appreciated except by the rbs and qbs he blocked for.

Dzone
06-26-2012, 05:22 PM
It just sucks to see any RB get the HOF before TD. Talk about a ripoff.
Super Bowl MVP, NFL MVP and 2,000 yard rusher. Wtf?