PDA

View Full Version : WR mum on camp plans

Lonestar
06-20-2009, 02:31 AM
By The Denver Post
Posted: 06/20/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

AURORA — Hundreds of youth football campers couldn't get enough of Brandon Marshall on Friday as the Broncos wide receiver wrapped up the second and final day of his Camp 15, a free youth camp at Overland High School.

Marshall smiled and posed for picture after picture but continued to avoid any serious talk about his future in Denver.

"I know there's a lot going on, but this is a beautiful time right now," Marshall said.

Marshall, dissatisfied with both his contract and previous medical treatment, requested the Broncos trade him a week ago and skipped the team's mandatory minicamp last weekend.

Marshall was scheduled to fly back to Orlando, Fla., later on Friday. What remains unclear is if he'll be back when the

rest of his teammates report for training camp in the final days of July. Marshall wouldn't say one way or the other.
"Life, man. So much gets thrown at you at once sometimes, you've got to be able to embrace it and keep your head above water," Marshall said.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12652184

Davii
06-20-2009, 02:46 AM
I think he deserves a better contract.

Is there a way/is it legal for the Broncos to write a contract giving him the money he deserves for his production while still protecting the team?

For instance, can a contract be written that says, "If you are suspended by the NFL due to misconduct the Bronco's have the right to terminate this contract and recoup all bonus monies paid."?

If so, that would be the best route IMO. Pay the man what he deserves, but give the team the ability to jettison him without penalty if he doesn't clean up his act.

If Brandon would not agree to such a stipulation, then IMO he has no intent on cleaning up his life, and we should allow him to find a new home.

Magnificent Seven
06-20-2009, 03:32 AM
Marshall Sucks! He cares about money and not cherish our city of Mile High.

Davii
06-20-2009, 03:36 AM

If I could make millions and millions more for catching a football in a different city, I would.

This probably wouldn't have come up if the offense was left mostly intact, but with all the changes etc Marshall isn't feeling like he has much job security right now. Why not try to get additional job security and make more money?

Would you move for a job that potentially pays four times as much and has more job security?

SoCalImport
06-20-2009, 10:49 AM

Sorry to say, man. Most players on the team probably don't "cherish" Invesco, Milehigh, Broncos tradition, or the city of Denver.

They may love the fans that cheer for them. They may admire and respect the owner, HC, staff, teammates. They definitely love the huge amounts they are payed.

"Cherishing" the organization, and it's history, (with the exception of some that have their own history with the Broncos or the area) is mostly something that the fans do.:defense::beer:

Northman
06-20-2009, 11:05 AM

Is there a way/is it legal for the Broncos to write a contract giving him the money he deserves for his production while still protecting the team?

For instance, can a contract be written that says, "If you are suspended by the NFL due to misconduct the Bronco's have the right to terminate this contract and recoup all bonus monies paid."?

If so, that would be the best route IMO. Pay the man what he deserves, but give the team the ability to jettison him without penalty if he doesn't clean up his act.

If Brandon would not agree to such a stipulation, then IMO he has no intent on cleaning up his life, and we should allow him to find a new home.

Yes, they can do that but if Marshall doesnt want to sign that kind of contract he wont. Remember, after TO left the Eagles teams tried to go that same route only to have TO turn them away. When he signed with Dallas he didnt have to have any kind of stipulations on his behavior. So while Denver can try to offer him a contract with clauses i seriously doubt Brandon will sign them.

Lonestar
06-20-2009, 04:06 PM

the issue is IF he bites it big time will there be any of the bonus money left..

I'd like to see him get a small signing bonus 2-3 mil and then roster bonuses as he gets tenure with the team.. 2 mil each year for a 5-6 year contract.. NONE of it guaranteed if he misbehaves, can;t play..

I think he knows his hip and or hand is an issue and he is trying to strike gold one time and play for a couple of years before everyone catches on he has forever problem..

Denver Native (Carol)
06-20-2009, 04:15 PM
I found this link, which shows NFL Player Contract. If this is a legit post, it appears that all teams use the same contract.

http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=392237

Bad Intentions
06-20-2009, 11:33 PM

How exactly are the Broncos going to recoup all the bonus money they pay Marshall? Brandon has a set of 22" rims sitting in his garage. He's waiting on a pay day to buy the matching Bentley. Something tells me that when he gets his pay day, there isn't going to be much money left to "repay" anything if he screws up again. This might come as a shock to some of you, but Brandon Marshall is as much of a mental midget as he is a productive football player. Some people screw up and end up in the back of a cop car. Sometimes they do it twice and even three times before they figure it out. Usually, when it happens that third time (or more) they are considered criminals. Brandon has been in that situation a dozen or more times. A lot more if you count the HS and College days. Sad.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-20-2009, 11:43 PM
See you at camp, Brandon!