PDA

View Full Version : On the Train to Recovery

Denver Native (Carol)
06-19-2009, 04:43 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9111

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Ryan Torain's rookie campaign didn't unfold exactly how he envisioned it.

Injuries postponed the start to his season and ended it prematurely, and in between he started just one game. But in that one start, he showed flashes of why the team selected him in the fourth round of the 2008 NFL Draft.

Against the Cleveland Browns on Thursday Night Football, Torain averaged almost six yards a carry. He ripped off four runs of seven yards or more -- including a 19-yarder -- and most importantly, he got into the end zone.

"My first game starting was definitely a confidence builder," Torain said, noting that it showed him he can produce in the league.

He had 12 rushes for 68 yards -- a 5.7 yard-per-carry average -- in the first half. In the second quarter, he had runs of seven, seven and nine yards on three consecutive plays, then after a passing play he picked up six more yards, but suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee on the play, which ended his season.

But the injuries didn't get Torain down. He stuck around Dove Valley for most of the offseason, working toward rehabbing his knee in time to participate as the team prepares for the 2009 campaign.

He is still continuing his rehab as the team finishes up offseason conditioning, but he participated in the team's final minicamp, so there has certainly been progress.

"I'm just working on getting better, working towards 100 percent and to a point where I can help the team," Torain said.

Torain is one of only two carryovers from last season's Broncos backfield to make the transition to Head Coach Josh McDaniels' offense, along with Peyton Hillis.

Torain said he's excited for the new challenge of proving himself to a new coaching staff.

"It's a great feeling," he said. "It shows that you did a little bit last year to catch their interest, and you've just got to keep doing it this year."

The backfield has plenty of occupants, including Correll Buckhalter, Hillis, LaMont Jordan, first-round draft pick Knowshon Moreno and Darius Walker.

Torain said he knows that each of the backs should expect to contribute at a moment's notice.

"Whenever Coach calls on your number, just be ready," he said. "You've all got to be versatile and do everything Coach asks of you."

For now, the second-year running back is continuing to work to get back to 100 percent and learn a new offense. He said learning a new system is "tough," but it's all about dedication.

Through it all, Torain has kept one thing in mind:

"All the hard work, it will pay off once I get back to 100 percent on the field."

RedFalcon
06-19-2009, 06:10 PM
I hope he makes it this year... I know he's not going to be a huge part of the offense, but still. I think Shanahan saw something special in him, and I hope he may be able to show us exactly what he can do. He looks like a power runner, and we just might need that in '09.