PDA

View Full Version : Last year's defense was better than what met the eye . . .

topscribe
06-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Got this off the It's All Over, Fat Man! (http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/the-daily-lard-6-22-12) blog this morning:

* Denver first allowed 40+ last year to the Packers, who hung 40+ on
five other teams, including the Lions and Saints. There is no shame in
getting torched by the Packers, and there was a defensive score
among Green Bay's seven TDs.

* Those Lions put up 45 at SAF@MH, and it was a thrashing for sure.
But they also forced three turnovers, two of which went the other
way for touchdowns. Detroit also posted 34+ points against six other
teams, including Green Bay, San Diego, and Dallas.

* The two losses to New England included no Patriots defensive scores,
but the Broncos did cough up five turnovers in the two games. And,
the Patriots averaged 32.1 points per game and scored fewer than 27
points in just three regular season games. Like with Green Bay, giving
up a lot of points to New England last year was nothing to be
embarrassed about.

* The 40 points scored by Buffalo included a punt return TD, two
defensive scores, and just one offensive touchdown.

Rest - http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/the-daily-lard-6-22-12

So the only time the defense really struggled was when they were
spread out by superior receivers and an elite QB. Those were the holes
that needed filled. With the additions of Porter, Florence, Adams, and
Bolden, this has me pretty excited about this season . . .

SR
06-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Would've been better if we didn't have that old man of a decoy in Champ Bailey out there.

Northman
06-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Yea.....but the defense should of held those great QB's to 10 points or under and give Teblow a real chance.

Krugan
06-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Never okay to give up huge numbers, im pretty sure the guy on defense would say the same.

Maybe its just me, but I dont see how it can be justified in anyway. Getting torched is getting torched however you want to coat it or who else got torched.

Ravage!!!
06-22-2012, 01:53 PM
You'll be surprised what a good offense will do for your defense. The other team has to try and keep up, or feel they have to put points on the board because they KNOW you will. Putting the other QB and other offense in positions that are much easier to defend. I'm very excited to know that our offense isn't going to kill our team any longer.

Northman
06-22-2012, 01:57 PM
You'll be surprised what a good offense will do for your defense. The other team has to try and keep up, or feel they have to put points on the board because they KNOW you will. Putting the other QB and other offense in positions that are much easier to defend. I'm very excited to know that our offense isn't going to kill our team any longer.

Thats why teams like the 2000 Ravens are so very rare.

TheReverend
06-22-2012, 03:21 PM

Disagree vehemently... Generally those "much easier to defend" (teams playing keep-up with high powered offenses) positions score significantly more points.

Significantly.

TheReverend
06-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Thats why teams like the 2000 Ravens are so very rare.

Getting the opponent to play small ball with you is dramatically easier than consistently stopping a team throwing it 50+ per game.

Simple Jaded
06-22-2012, 09:54 PM
Disagree vehemently... Generally those "much easier to defend" (teams playing keep-up with high powered offenses) positions score significantly more points.

Significantly.Vehemently? Well, when you put it that way maybe the Broncos should try to score as little as possible.......

BroncoWave
06-22-2012, 10:11 PM

Significantly.

Which is why we've added players to our secondary and pass rush, to defend those offenses.

BroncoWave
06-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Also, I'm happy this article was written. People who blame our defense on the 5 40+ point games are either morons or didn't watch the games. The only one I would say they were more responsible for than the offense was the GB game.

Detroit and Buffalo each got multiple D/ST touchdowns, meaning our D gave much much less than 40 points themselves. In the first Pats game our D was playing pretty well until the offense turned it over 3 times in a row giving them pretty easy scores.

As for the playoff game our D was bad but when your offense can't stay on the field against a team like the Pats, not much any team can do.

Krugan
06-22-2012, 11:29 PM
where did you come up with the concept of "blaiming the defense" for the huge thumpings?

Strictly speaking, there is no exscuse for getting handled like that. they have 1 job, and thats play defense, and they failed in those instances. No excuses should be given, and no crutch by a "look at who else got killed".

bcbronc
06-22-2012, 11:56 PM

Heck, just having an offense that converts some 3rd downs will make the defense better cuz of the rest and improved field possession. Our 3rd down offense last season was abysmal.

where did you come up with the concept of "blaiming the defense" for the huge thumpings?

Strictly speaking, there is no exscuse for getting handled like that. they have 1 job, and thats play defense, and they failed in those instances. No excuses should be given, and no crutch by a "look at who else got killed".

You're missing the point. The defense can't do anything about a punt return TD or a pic-six, but those points still count in the 40+.

Krugan
06-23-2012, 10:02 AM
The point wasnt missed...

funny, i do understand how points are scored.

My argument is with the crutching, ohhh look at who else get blasted by the teams that blasted us, it doesnt change the blasting and the fact that the games where out of hand. Arguing that the offense blew isnt even needed, it was a given. The defense also did little in those games, we get lit up, and that was clear to my eye.

Ravage!!!
06-23-2012, 10:08 AM

Significantly.

a team that is able to score puts the other team in a position to pass, inorder to keep up. Getting up early and forcing the other team to pass, plays directly into our defensive strengths. A team that continues to go three-and-out is NOT helping your defense in the least.

BroncoWave
06-23-2012, 10:17 AM
The point wasnt missed...

funny, i do understand how points are scored.

My argument is with the crutching, ohhh look at who else get blasted by the teams that blasted us, it doesnt change the blasting and the fact that the games where out of hand. Arguing that the offense blew isnt even needed, it was a given. The defense also did little in those games, we get lit up, and that was clear to my eye.

Our defense only gave up 19 points against Buffalo. You read that right, 19. Our offense and special teams contributed to more of the Bills points than our defense did. Tell me how that's the D's fault again? If your D gives up less than 20 points, especially against a team like the Bills, your offense should bring that one home for you.

Ravage!!!
06-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Our defense isn't NEARLY as bad as some around here want to proclaim and/or bitch about. Thats a good thing, and the fact that its going to be improved with added personnel and the help of the offense, is just that much better.

BroncoWave
06-23-2012, 10:20 AM
And for all the 40+ games you want to list, our D also completely kept us in some games like against Miami, both KC games, Chicago, New York, and @San Diego.

BroncoWave
06-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Our defense isn't NEARLY as bad as some around here want to proclaim and/or bitch about. Thats a good thing, and the fact that its going to be improved with added personnel and the help of the offense, is just that much better.

It's clear that some people don't understand the negative impact that constant 3-and-outs and turnovers from the offense has on the defense. The fact that they kept us in as many games as they did is amazing.

Ravage!!!
06-23-2012, 10:55 AM

Significantly.

I'm going to agree with Jaded. I guess the Broncos should stick with last year's offensive philosophy and not score, don't get a lead, and try to stay as close as possible to the other team.

Thats Significantly better.

NorCalBronco7
06-23-2012, 03:58 PM
The Broncos defense had to deal with a tons of of 3 and outs, maybe more than any other team. Thats the biggest reason the defense struggled IMO.

Krugan
06-24-2012, 11:48 PM
And, ahh **** it, pointless argument entirely. I just dont like the idea of "its not so bad bucause team B got assramed too" stuff.

Ohh 19 points, well thats pretty solid, but isnt that the job? Guess they needed to give up 3 that week, it didnt happen. Its a team game, in the end. One day the offense had to help out the defense, its been a standard in the game for years.

lastly, because the more I log in lately, the more chippy this place seems. I dont get all this "some people" horseshiat around here. If there is an issue state it openly so those of us who dont play games, dont have to figure out wtf its about....

BroncoWave
06-25-2012, 10:44 AM
And, ahh **** it, pointless argument entirely. I just dont like the idea of "its not so bad bucause team B got assramed too" stuff.

Ohh 19 points, well thats pretty solid, but isnt that the job? Guess they needed to give up 3 that week, it didnt happen. Its a team game, in the end. One day the offense had to help out the defense, its been a standard in the game for years.

lastly, because the more I log in lately, the more chippy this place seems. I dont get all this "some people" horseshiat around here. If there is an issue state it openly so those of us who dont play games, dont have to figure out wtf its about....

I don't think you complained enough in this post.

TheReverend
06-25-2012, 10:58 AM
I'm going to agree with Jaded. I guess the Broncos should stick with last year's offensive philosophy and not score, don't get a lead, and try to stay as close as possible to the other team.

Thats Significantly better.

For the defense? Yeah, significantly better.

For the team? Then I'll agree with you... but that's not the topic of discussion in this thread...

TheReverend
06-25-2012, 11:01 AM
a team that is able to score puts the other team in a position to pass, inorder to keep up. Getting up early and forcing the other team to pass, plays directly into our defensive strengths. A team that continues to go three-and-out is NOT helping your defense in the least.

Well crap, why didn't you guys ever explain this to scrubs like Bellichick, Dungy, McCarthy, Sean Payton, etc?

If they only knew that scoring those gobs of points made playing defense so easy, they wouldn't continually field defense's giving up huge chunks of points and yardage a clip.

Because it's so much easier to defend with a lead, right?

Chef Zambini
06-25-2012, 12:14 PM
our weakest link, GOODMAN is gone!
he was the gaping hole in our defense!

check out the plays and highlights as you watch clips from last year!
everytime there is a highlight of a team's offense playing our broncos, GOODMAN is in the shot, trailing , or getting torched!
every stinking highlight !
goodman is gone, he was the most sucky element of our defense last year!

3 and outs dont help any defense.
giving up points on turnovers or field position, or allowing scores on special teams dont help defenses.

I anticipate, hope and expect that this years defense will be much improved.
But I remain concerned about our lack of focus on stopping the run
and I have genuine concerns about our ability to cover TEs and the overall strength of our safeties.

and please, for everyones sake, lets NOT make this another champ thread!

NightTerror218
06-25-2012, 12:19 PM
I cant wait to see what our defense is going to do this season. A healthy Von Doom and upgraded secondary will help. Doom was not healthy beginning of last season. He was came into it about 4 games or so and his production came into full swing. Goodman gone, thank goodness and thanks to Porter/Adams/Florence being signed. I think our defense will dramatically show improvement. Del Rio is awesome with the DL and him alone working with it will increase their efficiency.

Canmore
06-25-2012, 12:36 PM
our weakest link, GOODMAN is gone!
he was the gaping hole in our defense!

check out the plays and highlights as you watch clips from last year!
everytime there is a highlight of a team's offense playing our broncos, GOODMAN is in the shot, trailing , or getting torched!
every stinking highlight !
goodman is gone, he was the most sucky element of our defense last year!

3 and outs dont help any defense.
giving up points on turnovers or field position, or allowing scores on special teams dont help defenses.

I anticipate, hope and expect that this years defense will be much improved.
But I remain concerned about our lack of focus on stopping the run
and I have genuine concerns about our ability to cover TEs and the overall strength of our safeties.

and please, for everyones sake, lets NOT make this another champ thread!

I don't believe it is lack of focus on stopping the run but I am concerned. Still, Fox and JDR do not seem to be up in arms about it, so I feel that maybe I don't have that much to worry about. Time will tell.

I'm cautiously optimistic about our safeties.We shored up one of the positions in free agency and I felt Carter was playing better as the season wore down. The cupboard is not bare, but we have to get more production from the young guys.

Chef Zambini
06-25-2012, 04:15 PM
the defense seems so pre-occupied with stopping the PASS that I feel our run defense will suffer.
"lack of focus" is just one way to discribe it.
"ignored' would be too inflamatory of a comment.
everything we read or hear about, every player aquisitionon defense, it has all been about the PASSing game.
I honestly think the only reason why teams did not raun against us more was because completing a pass against goodman was so darn easy.

bcbronc
06-25-2012, 10:35 PM
the defense seems so pre-occupied with stopping the PASS that I feel our run defense will suffer.
"lack of focus" is just one way to discribe it.
"ignored' would be too inflamatory of a comment.
everything we read or hear about, every player aquisitionon defense, it has all been about the PASSing game.
I honestly think the only reason why teams did not raun against us more was because completing a pass against goodman was so darn easy.

Hey, they did bring Mays back. What else could you ask for?

Chef Zambini
06-26-2012, 09:10 AM
willie mays?

NightTerror218
06-26-2012, 11:30 AM
willie mays?

Willie mays Haze from the movie Major League and WILD THING!!

NightTerror218
06-26-2012, 11:32 AM
I think the reason Mays is back is because he is good verse the run.

Chef Zambini
06-26-2012, 12:23 PM
run yes, covering a TE, not so good.

Ravage!!!
06-26-2012, 12:24 PM
luckily the MLB isn't normally responsible for covering the TE

Chef Zambini
06-26-2012, 01:05 PM
but with VM always on the blitz that responsability will often go to an inside linebacker.

Ravage!!!
06-26-2012, 01:41 PM
More likely a safety in man-to-man coverage will take the TE over the MLB. True, the MLB will drop back into a middle zone, and Mays has struggled in that role. But typically, the MLB doesn't play man to man on TEs. He might have to pick up a RB out of the backfield

TheReverend
06-26-2012, 03:10 PM
More likely a safety in man-to-man coverage will take the TE over the MLB. True, the MLB will drop back into a middle zone, and Mays has struggled in that role. But typically, the MLB doesn't play man to man on TEs. He might have to pick up a RB out of the backfield

Likely this coming year with JDR's propensity for cover 1, but if it resembles the amount of cover 2 we played on the back end last year, then no.

bcbronc
06-26-2012, 10:32 PM
run yes, covering a TE, not so good.

I agree with half of this. The latter half.

luckily the MLB isn't normally responsible for covering the TE

So you're saying we need a safety with coverage skills? :whistle:

MOtorboat
06-26-2012, 10:45 PM
I agree with half of this. The latter half.

So you're saying we need a safety with coverage skills? :whistle:

Clever.

But that doesn't mean that player should be the best cornerback on the team.

I mean, that logic would move DeMaryius Thomas to running back...

sneakers
06-26-2012, 11:31 PM
I think if the defense can duplicate what they did last year, we should be in good shape.

Denver27og
06-26-2012, 11:50 PM
Thats why Manning chose Denver, he knows if he can get a lead or put some points up. Its gonna be tough for opposing QBs to put up alot of points with ELVIS and VON coming off the edges.

Denver has always been able to beat Brady and the Pats or at least come close, but we could never came close to beating Manning.

Off topic but anyone remember the 97 playoff game vs the JAGS??? Holy Mark Brunell was like a WHITE VICK and Natrone Means brutalized our D. Elway could of went out with 3 straight Superbowls!!!

But anyways, its gonna be a great season!!

Chidoze
06-27-2012, 12:13 AM
The 2011 Broncos defense was vastly improved from the 2010 Broncos squad. They weren't the best, but they did make improvements.

If Manning is right & the Broncos can score points, I think they'll be a smidge better this upcoming season :salute: