PDA

View Full Version : Orton: My Arms Big Enough

WARHORSE
06-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Kyle Orton Talks New Beginnings in Denver (http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2009/06/18/kyle-orton-talks-new-beginnings-in-denver/)

June 18, 2009 – 10:00 am by Bunk

We’re getting ever closer - training camps in the National Football League are just about a month away. As we’ve said here on Sports Radio Interviews all offseason, the play of the quarterbacks in Chicago and in Denver are going to dominate the headlines - and deservedly so - for much of 2009 and even beyond. All eyes will be on young quarterback Kyle Orton to make the Broncos look either really smart or really, really stupid for dealing Jay Cutler to the Chicago Bears this offseason.

With training camp approaching, let’s take a listen to Orton to see how things are progressing in new coach Josh McDaniels’s explosive system. He joined 104.3 The Fan in Denver on Wednesday to talk about being named the starter by his head coach (’for now’) before the start of training camp and other similar topics.

On if he was surprised that Coach McDaniels named him the starter over Chris Simms despite training camp being more than a month away:
“I didn’t put too much thought in to it - I just try to go out every day and improve and get this offense under my belt and play as good as I can.”

On how he’s gone about exuding leadership qualities in the few short months he’s been in Denver, particularly since his coach has shown so much confidence in him:
“Yeah I think it’s an important thing to have a quarterback that carries the leadership role. I think it’s been tough early on, splitting reps, and having one guy in the huddle and then another guy in the huddle. It’s a tough thing to develop leadership from the position when it’s like that. So that’s really what I look forward to at training camp - being in there with one guy and really trying to lead this football team and lead this offense to be as good as we can be and see if we can win a lot of football games this year.”

On what fans and the media can expect from Josh McDaniels’s offense when it’s clicking:
“You’re not going to see one thing from week to week. I think we try to exploit the team’s weaknesses that we’re going to play and hopefully just find the best way to beat that football team and as long as the players execute the system we should win a lot of games.”

On what he says to those who think he doesn’t have NFL-caliber arm strength:
“I’ve had a strong enough arm my entire career. I don’t listen to critics. I feel like I’ve had a nice start to my career and being with these coaches and these players, I’m just getting better and better and I just think this trade is the jump start to the second part of my career.”

Listen to the whole Interview: http://www.fm1043thefan.com/Channels/audioOnDemand/story.aspx?ID=1104239

WARHORSE
06-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Well, one thing I gotta say is I think Orton is a better interview than Cutler.

When everyone else is taking their vacation in Denver, Mr. Orton is still going to be working..........

I think hes going to do well here.

CoachChaz
06-19-2009, 11:19 AM
His attitude and confidence alone make one very optimistic

RedFalcon
06-19-2009, 12:09 PM

I imagine he had the same attitude and confidence in Chicago also, and yet the Bears let him go for a far better QB. So far, nothing he will say will convince me about his arm strength or his leadership abilities. I'm just waiting to see him playing. That's when we all gonna see how good of a deal was Orton for the Broncos.

topscribe
06-19-2009, 12:36 PM
I imagine he had the same attitude and confidence in Chicago also, and yet the Bears let him go for a far better QB. So far, nothing he will say will convince me about his arm strength or his leadership abilities. I'm just waiting to see him playing. That's when we all gonna see how good of a deal was Orton for the Broncos.

I think that is what we are all waiting for, so you aren't alone.

Nonetheless, Orton's attitude and confidence has already served him well, in
that he did pretty well for himself on the field last year, for only a second-year
QB (on the field), especially with inferior O-line, WRs, and coaches.

Frankly, the Bears made a deal that a lot of people have already questioned.
Why didn't they bring in a real OC and QBs coach? Why didn't they make moves
to strengthen their O-line for Orton, as they just did Cutler? Why didn't they
go get a real WR or two with what they had to offer?

Well, as I said, Orton did pretty well with a garbage offensive team. Now, we
will get to see how he can do with a truly good one . . .

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
06-19-2009, 12:43 PM

Would you be saying this if it was Darrell Hackney callin' the shots behind center, perhaps a Bradlee Van Pelt?

JONtheBRONCO
06-19-2009, 12:45 PM
That actually got me excited for Orton... hmph..

Tned
06-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Talking to some friends in Chicago, they were saying that it wasn't that Orton didn't have a strong arm, but that he lacked deep ball accuracy. Now, that could have had to do with Chicago's porous offensive line -- it could have to do with bad mechanics -- or, him just not being very good at the long ball.

Hopefully, McDaniels can work with him, and coaching and good line protection will improve his deep ball.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-19-2009, 12:49 PM
Good report Tned. {Seriously!} I'd confer with my friend(s) in Chicago (Lex) but he is unavailable for comment at this time.

Tned
06-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Good report Tned. {Seriously!} I'd confer with my friend(s) in Chicago (Lex) but he is unavailable for comment at this time.

You could look him up on the Mane and check with him. Didn't know he was a Chicago guy.

Lonestar
06-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Talking to some friends in Chicago, they were saying that it wasn't that Orton didn't have a strong arm, but that he lacked deep ball accuracy. Now, that could have had to do with Chicago's porous offensive line -- it could have to do with bad mechanics -- or, him just not being very good at the long ball.

Hopefully, McDaniels can work with him, and coaching and good line protection will improve his deep ball.

I also have to question just how often that deep ball would be thrown anyone..

if we are truly looking at a controlled offensive hitting the open man how often are we gonna have to wait for someone deep..

brady was not airing it out alot.. I see no reason for us to do so either..

Requiem / The Dagda
06-19-2009, 12:56 PM
On a serious note, I think Orton will be just fine here. I don't know if he is a long-term guy, but he's played in a spread/pro-style like offense back in Purdue in did quite well. Him actually having an offensive line, and a decent corps of receivers and tight ends will actually make a difference too. I don't know if it will be reflected in the W-L column this year, but I think Orton will have his most successful year as a pro. *crosses fingers*

LRtagger
06-19-2009, 01:22 PM
On a serious note, I think Orton will be just fine here. I don't know if he is a long-term guy, but he's played in a spread/pro-style like offense back in Purdue in did quite well. Him actually having an offensive line, and a decent corps of receivers and tight ends will actually make a difference too. I don't know if it will be reflected in the W-L column this year, but I think Orton will have his most successful year as a pro. *crosses fingers*

Plus a ballering RB that is twice the player Forte was last year.

CoachChaz
06-19-2009, 01:26 PM
I also have to question just how often that deep ball would be thrown anyone..

if we are truly looking at a controlled offensive hitting the open man how often are we gonna have to wait for someone deep..

brady was not airing it out alot.. I see no reason for us to do so either..

That's the key. This offense isnt going to rely on 9 routes all day. When it comes to arm strength, my biggest concern would be zipping the ball into slant routes, but I have no doubt Orton has the ability to do that effectively.

topscribe
06-19-2009, 01:29 PM

Ah yes, Lex. Forgot about him. Yes, be sure to check with him. This discussion
would not be complete without his opinion . . .

-----

weazel
06-19-2009, 03:54 PM
sure his arm is big enough, look how much he can hold!

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/kyle-orton-drinking-deadspi.jpg

T.K.O.
06-19-2009, 04:04 PM
sure his arm is big enough, look how much he can hold!

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/kyle-orton-drinking-deadspi.jpg

about time we had a qb who could "hold his booze !":salute:

Superchop 7
06-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Just biding my time.............

(arm is "big enough" comment........tell ya what........neck beard is "big enough".......bottle of Jack is "big enough")

rcsodak
06-20-2009, 01:25 AM
Ah yes, Lex. Forgot about him. Yes, be sure to check with him. This discussion
would not be complete without his opinion . . .

-----

Lex......lex....

oh yeah! Isn't that a character on Superman?