PDA

View Full Version : Broncos look to give Manning improved pass defense

Denver Native (Carol)
06-21-2012, 04:02 PM
You’re going to hear a lot about the “Peyton Manning Effect” this fall in Denver, and it’s already taken shape following Broncos minicamp. The ease at which the future Hall of Famer can run an offense should do wonders for Denver’s attack, but it will also make an impact on the defense.

From 1998-2010, the Colts’ defense ranked in the top 10 in yards allowed only twice. In that span, they won one Super Bowl and made the playoffs 11 times. Manning’s ability to put up points helped take pressure off his defenses, allowing players like Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis to pin their ears back and rush the passers.

In Denver, we hear that Manning’s role working with Mike McCoy and the offense has benefitted the “D” by giving John Fox more time to pay attention to that side of the ball, which has a new coordinator in Jack Del Rio. The Broncos will be more aggressive on defense under Del Rio, and have the pass rushers to complement what Manning will do on offense in the form of Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil.

rest - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/broncos-look-manning-improved-pass-181319540--nfl.html

OrangeHoof
06-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Fox and Del Gutter might put together a great defense if the personnel is good enough. I think they are extremely weak up the middle though they look to be really strong on the edges.

Ravage!!!
06-21-2012, 11:29 PM
Building a defense much like they had in Indy. Great pass rush because of Manning's ability to score points. We have that with Doom and Miller. I th ink our secondary is much stronger than people give them credit for. I don't think the middle is nearly as weak as people believe, but I believe we'll be able to protect that with our offense. Looking forward to a great year.

Cugel
06-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Fox and Del Gutter might put together a great defense if the personnel is good enough. I think they are extremely weak up the middle though they look to be really strong on the edges.

Theoretically, the way to defense against a Manning or Brady or Brees or Rogers led offense is to try and control the clock by running the ball effectively, especially up the middle to keep the QB off the field and limit his opportunities to score.

Keep the score down, run time off the clock and keep your defense off the field.

In short, exactly the type of offense Denver tried to run LAST year with Tebow. But against an elite QB it almost never works because a Manning or Brady or Rogers can score too rapidly, and once you fall behind, the ball-control, clock-control, grind-it-out play-book goes out the window. You remember how well that worked against the Patriots and Packers.

Once you're down 14-6 in the 2nd quarter or something you need to open up the offense to catch up. This forces teams to go away from their run game and that helps the defense.

It's really going to come down to Denver's PASS defense, and getting Drayton Florence, Terry Porter and Mike Adams really should help there. I think Denver will go with 6 CBs this season and Bolden will be the 6th CB/KR. (Eddie Royal was the KR last year so they went with an extra WR, but this year I expect them to have 5 WRs and 6 CBs on the roster instead of the other way around).

TheReverend
06-22-2012, 10:08 AM
^ that sig is amazing