PDA

View Full Version : who's your super bowl darkhorse?

dogfish
08-31-2007, 07:15 PM
by darkhorse, i mean a team that isn't obvious (i.e. ranked in the top ten of every preseason power ranking), but that has a legitimate chance. . .

i'm going to go with green bay, for a number of reasons. . .

the first is brett favre. . . i'm as tired as everyone else of how he holds the franchise hostage every year now with the big retirement drama, makes public demands for the FO to go after a big free agent, and all that stuff, but the guy can still play. . . certainly not at the level he used to, the level where a good QB can put a bad team on his back, but he can still move an offense. . . although his decision-making hasn't gotten any better, he still has a live arm and can make decisive throws. . . if the team around him plays well, farve's still more than capable of leading a deep playoff run. . .

and i'm starting to think that they've put enough pieces around him to make a run possible if things fall right. . . it starts up front with the O-line, and they have a nice veteran pair of tackles in clifton and tauscher to build around. . . their interior OLs now have a year of experience together, and all five OLs have a year of experience in the ZBS now (and i don't need to tell anyone here how effective that scheme is when run properly, or how it takes time to get it down pat)-- and darren colledge, a second-round pick with the athleticism to fit the ZBS perfectly, looks like an upgrade over the rest of the guards they've had the past few years. . .

the pass protection should be solid, and the line has a chance to be pretty effective in the running game as well. . . rookie brandon jackson has the vision to thrive in the ZBS. . . i've watched a game or two of theirs during the preseason, and jackson looks quick and decisive-- he may never be a big star, but this guy is a legitimate NFL back. . . other than maybe his versatility as a receiver, i don't think they're going to miss ahman green that much. . . jackson has shown some willingness as a blocker also, which will help keep him in the game in different situations. . .

their running game should be solid, and it looks like they've got some young receivers who are ready to step up. . . undaunted by stereotypes about rookie receivers, greg jennings was well on his way to a very nice season last year before he was slowed by injuries. . . jennings looks ready to pick up where he left off, and rookie james jones is making him work to keep the second spot. . . donald driver isn't a prototypical #1 receiver, but he continues to produce at that level with averages over 1,200 yards and 7 TDs the past three years. . . bubba franks and donald lee make an adequate TE duo. . . not a flashy or dynamic receiving corps, but they've got some upside, and if driver stays healthy they should be good enough to get the job done if they're paired with an effective running game. . .

i also think their defense is on the upswing-- they played well down the stretch last year, and with some young talents maturing they have a chance to be better this year. . . the line is becoming a strength. . . they've got a workmanlike young group of tackles (and added 1st round pick justin harrell to the group), but the ends pack the real punch of the unit-- especially aaron kampman, who elevated himself into an elite group of two-way DEs last year by adding 15 sacks to his stout run defense. . . cullen jenkins is a disruptive player on the other side, and he also plays the run well-- he's good enough to have relegated kabeer gbaja-biamili to a backup role, which keeps him fresher for pass rush duties. . .

a.j. hawk was solid last year, and should grow into more of a leadership role this season. . . he should also make more big plays-- they're going to scheme to free him up a little bit more, and he has a fantastic nose for the ball. . . i'm not a big fan of nick barnett, but he makes a lot of tackles from the MIKE spot. . .

another real asset they have is a good pair of CBs-- not necessarily shutdown corners, but experienced, reliable guys who can make some plays and give you a chance to win. . . their safeties are nothing special, but they're not terrible either. . . the D overall looks pretty solid, with a lot of potential and room for growth this year. . .

green bay is a team that i thought had a LOT of questions entering the offseason, but i'm starting to think they've got a nice mix of youth and experienced veteran talent at the right positions. . . no one would call them front-runners, and they've got a long way to go, but they have the advantage of playing in the weaker conference, in a division with only two competitive teams. . . in the NFC, one or two injuries to the top teams could blow the competition wide open, and green bay looks like a team that has enough talent to take advantage of that kind of circumstance. . .

Watchthemiddle
08-31-2007, 07:17 PM
Houston.

Just what I feel.

xX-Bronco-Xx
08-31-2007, 07:39 PM
It's got to be the Jets for me. So many great offseason moves and if Chad can be consistent with no injuries I think they will have a shot at it.

Tned
08-31-2007, 08:03 PM
Houston.

Just what I feel.

As far as a 'true' dark/dark horse, I agree Houston could surprise. Is far as just a 'dark' horse, I would go with Detroit.

BigBroncLove
08-31-2007, 08:54 PM
Well I don't see eye to eye on Green Bay, but you make some solid poitns about them Dogfish.

My Darkhorse team is hte Rams. They had a great last season that broke down at the end of the year. My one worry is that Bulgar is inconsistent of recent, and though hecan win games, he won't carry a team anywhere. Holt is also not fully recovered from his injury last year and then Strussies injury will cost the team a bit, but their weapons on offense and defense are formidable. I think Carriker will continue to develop well into the season. Leonard will be a great FB in time and also a good change of pace guy behind Steven Jackson, who will hopefully have another great season. Bruce is gone if I am not mistaken, but they still have Dante Hall, and an injured Holt, but I also think Hagans could do well this year.

As for DEfense, it's hard not to love Leonard Little. I think he is one of the best DE's year in and year out, and with Carriker in at NT, I think it will be a good season for him. I like Tye Hill at CB for the Rams, and despite some questions at LB, I do think their core will be improved this year. With an improved NFC west division, it will be tough for the Rams to get it done, but I think they have the personell to do it.

Devilspawn
08-31-2007, 09:05 PM
Darkhorse? Tough.

I think the Colts or Ravens win it all this year.

In the NFC, the Saints are the sexy pick and I really don't see anyone beating them. But just to stir up some bad newz, I'll say the Falcons. When you look at it, they had the pieces in place, it's just that Vick didn't want to act like a normal QB. Now, with Vick gone, it will be a breath of fresh air and Joey Harrington will prove he was wronged in Detroit and Miami. Do I believe any of what I just said? No. But if it comes true, you heard it here first:

Indianapolis 27
Atlanta 24

TXBRONC
08-31-2007, 09:39 PM
Houston.

Just what I feel.

I agree they would definitely be a dark horse. I think they will do better than people will expect but I don't Kubes has all of the pieces of the puzzle just yet.

BroncoWave
08-31-2007, 10:42 PM
Detroit is my darkhorse this year. I think they will get a WC, then after that anything could happen!

Broncos Mtnman
08-31-2007, 11:49 PM
I say Houston.

They have looked good with the new pieces of their offense, and the D should improve with stability on the line.

TXBRONC
08-31-2007, 11:51 PM
I say Houston.

They have looked good with the new pieces of their offense, and the D should improve with stability on the line.

Do you think they have enough to get all the way to the Super Bowl?

Broncos Mtnman
08-31-2007, 11:59 PM
I think they can make the playoffs.

If they do that, anything can happen.

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 12:05 AM
I think they can make the playoffs.

If they do that, anything can happen.

That's true. However, I'm not sure all pieces to the puzzle are there. I do believe they have improved dramatically, but not sure they will make it to the playoffs this year.

omac
09-01-2007, 11:02 PM
I choose Carolina, but I'm not sure if they're under the radar enough to be considered a darkhorse. They're an overachieving team that plays well under pressure, just like their underated QB, Delhomme. If one of their rb's can step up big time, they may be the team the Broncos meet in the Superbowl. :cheers:

xX-Bronco-Xx
09-02-2007, 12:11 PM
I choose Carolina, but I'm not sure if they're under the radar enough to be considered a darkhorse. They're an overachieving team that plays well under pressure, just like their underated QB, Delhomme. If one of their rb's can step up big time, they may be the team the Broncos meet in the Superbowl. :cheers:

The funny thing is, they've been considered Superbowl contenders for the past 4 years and they've proved nothing.

AHhh don't kill me.:ahhhhh:

omac
09-02-2007, 12:33 PM
The funny thing is, they've been considered Superbowl contenders for the past 4 years and they've proved nothing.

AHhh don't kill me.:ahhhhh:

:laugh: Oh, okay, I guess they were just under my radar, hehehe. I think after their SB appearance not too long ago, the expectations were higher than they should've been.

One of their rb's have to step up ... they aren't fulfilling their potential.

dogfish
01-01-2008, 08:34 PM
i'll try not to break my arm patting myself on the back, but i just have to bump this thread now that the packers have sewn up the #2 seed in the NFC. . . :D

i was wrong about brandon jackson, and it took their running game over half the season to get in gear, but pretty solid predictions otherwise. . . i'm looking at dallas as the favorites to represent the NFC, but win or lose in the playoffs, green bay has had a much better season than most people were predicting back in august and september-- when i was doing the power rankings threads at the beginning of the season, everybody kept telling me i had green bay ranked too high. . . :laugh:

It's got to be the Jets for me. So many great offseason moves and if Chad can be consistent with no injuries I think they will have a shot at it.

Well I don't see eye to eye on Green Bay, but you make some solid points about them Dogfish.

My Darkhorse team is the Rams.

^^ :lol: :laugh: ^^

BroncoWave
01-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Detroit is my darkhorse this year. I think they will get a WC, then after that anything could happen!

I'm an idiot.

Uncle Buck
01-02-2008, 12:12 AM
i'll try not to break my arm patting myself on the back, but i just have to bump this thread now that the packers have sewn up the #2 seed in the NFC. . .

i was wrong about brandon jackson, and it took their running game over half the season to get in gear, but pretty solid predictions otherwise. . . i'm looking at dallas as the favorites to represent the NFC, but win or lose in the playoffs, green bay has had a much better season than most people were predicting back in august and september-- when i was doing the power rankings threads at the beginning of the season, everybody kept telling me i had green bay ranked too high. . . :laugh:

Dalm, and you started this thread back in August?! :beer: I'd say that was pretty guten work, and your then-predictions turned out to be pretty much prescient. I've held that it would be just a matter of time before they managed to build a team around the old duff--and often wondered if he'd still be around to see it. But, as it turns out, he's still got enough fire left in that canon to head most any "new" team on the verve.

But this will have to be the year. Unless....

well, one more season? ;)

Anyhowzer, bud, if you need any help in pattin' yourself on the back, I'm sure that can be arranged, via one of my personal servants! :laugh:

champbronc2
01-02-2008, 09:33 AM
The Redskins.

They are using Sean Taylor's death as a reason to play.