PDA

View Full Version : Kid in Broncos' Marshall comes through at camp

Denver Native (Carol)
06-18-2009, 09:48 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12622217

All eyes - some blinking, some electronic - were on Brandon Marshall today as he worked the crowd during his Camp 15 football clinic.

"What I got from the kids is that they're just excited about the camp," Marshall said. "When you're at this age, you just love being out there. Right now, they're taking me back to when I was 10 and 11. I'm ready to get out there and run around with those guys."

Question is, will Marshall get out there and run around with the Broncos next season? Or will his inaugural Camp 15 at Aurora's Overland High School prove to be his last?

Marshall wasn't talking about his contract squabble with the Broncos' front office. Neither was his agent, Kennard McGuire, who was on hand to play a Cover-1 defense against any media member who tried to bring it up.

McGuire took his case public this week during an interview with a local television station, but wasn't about to turn the camp into a public forum on his client's quest for a new contract.

"This is about the kids, and we would prefer, if you all had any questions, that those questions strictly pertain to this camp and what it's about," McGuire told the assembled media. "Anything other than that undermines what this camp is all about, OK? We're not going to be dealing with anything regarding Brandon's NFL future at this camp."

So, McGuire was asked, could the two-day camp be Marshall's last public appearance in Denver?

"Thank you, guys."

At least that reporter got to ask a question. Another attempted to conclude a news conference with Marshall by asking, "Brandon, coach (Josh) McDaniels says he looks forward to seeing you at training camp ..." At that point, McGuire interrupted by saying, "I think that question is off limits, guys. This is about the kids, so stick with the camp. Thank you."

McGuire said he has been "constantly talking" with the Broncos' front office, but any discussions don't figure to produce results for the foreseeable future. Most of the Broncos' football people have vacated Dove Valley, as perNFL tradition in mid-June. But even if the team's decision makers were around, there's no indication that they're interested in grantingMarshall's trade request to owner Pat Bowlen.

Marshall, whose salary spiked to $2.198 million from $535,000 after a Pro Bowl season in '08, spoke with Bowlen during the mandatory camp. Afterward, he removed some personal items from his locker and proclaimed during an internet blog that he and Bowlen "both came to the conclusion that this (a trade) is probably the best thing for me to grow on and off the field."

Trouble is, Marshall has little if any leverage, given his off-field problems and the hip surgery he underwent on April 1. Then there's the matter of theNFL's looming labor battle. The owners figure to blow up the league's collective-bargaining agreement, which would leave Marshall a restricted free agent after the 2009 season. And if Marshall ever did hit unrestricted free agency, the Broncos could use their franchise tag on him.

For all the news that wasn't generated today, there were a few snippets. For one thing, Marshall said he had talked to several of his teammates in recent days. So what did they talk about?

"Just anything ... playing PlayStation, my camp, just checking in," he said. "They're really supportive right now."

Marshall also showed no ill effects from the surgery on his left hip, running a lap with the campers and participating in various drills.

"I feel great," he said. "I'm actually working out down at UCF (Central Florida) with the team, running routes, doing pass skills. ... I'm not 100 percent, but I can definitely say where I am today is 10 times better than where I was the first game last year."