PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Deserves a New Deal

WARHORSE
06-18-2009, 03:26 AM
It's rare that a big-league sports team shows as much enthusiasm for running off its star players as your all-new Denver Broncos (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Denver%20Broncos&searchTerm=Denver%20Broncos).

First it was the star quarterback. Now, the star wide receiver.
On the bright side, that pretty much takes care of their star players.

Tell you what: Team Kumbaya better have a whole lotta karma going on this year because generally speaking, teams with star players do better than teams without them.

And Brandon Marshall (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Brandon%20Marshall&searchTerm=Brandon%20Marshall) is a star. But don't take my word for it. Listen to Chauncey Billups (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Chauncey%20Billups&searchTerm=Chauncey%20Billups), who wanted to know what was up with the Broncos when I ran into him this week.

"They can't be letting Brandon Marshall (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Marshall&searchTerm=Marshall) go," he said. "Not after Cutler. No way."

Well, you never know, but Marshall packing up his belongings at Dove Valley and saying goodbye on his website don't seem like good signs.

Here's a news flash for the torch and pitchfork crowd: Like it or not, Marshall is underpaid. Big-time.

It has become fashionable to denigrate his remarkable receiving numbers with one qualification or another, so consider this: In the 63-year history of the Cleveland Browns (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Cleveland%20Browns&searchTerm=Cleveland%20Browns), one of the teams now reportedly interested in Marshall, they never have had a receiver catch 100 passes in a season.

Not Ozzie Newsome (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Ozzie%20Newsome&searchTerm=Ozzie%20Newsome). Not Kellen Winslow Jr (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Kellen%20Winslow%20II&searchTerm=Kellen%20Winslow%20Jr). Not Braylon Edwards (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Braylon%20Edwards&searchTerm=Braylon%20Edwards). Never.
Marshall caught 104 last season, third in the NFL (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=National%20Football%20League&searchTerm=NFL), with a salary cap number of $526,824. Chump change by Not For Long standards.

By my count, 33 members of the Broncos carried bigger numbers last season.
Sometime this season, his fourth, Marshall will reach the average career span of an NFL player.

Thanks to a deserved Pro Bowl appearance, his pay increases to just more than $2 million this year, still nowhere near the salary neighborhood of the league's top receivers. Buffalo (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Buffalo&searchTerm=Buffalo)'s Lee Evans (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Lee%20Evans&searchTerm=Lee%20Evans) signed a four-year, $37 million extension last year.

Not only that, with one year remaining on his rookie contract, Marshall's request for a new deal complies with the Broncos' traditional policy.

This was former coach Mike Shanahan (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Mike%20Shanahan&searchTerm=Mike%20Shanahan)'s argument when Clinton Portis (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Clinton%20Portis&searchTerm=Clinton%20Portis) demanded a new deal after the 2003 season. The Broncos, Shanahan said, renegotiate contracts only in their final year, not before.

Unlike Portis at the time, Marshall is in his final year.
Of course, this is football, where contracts are not guaranteed, so even Shanahan's alleged policy had more holes than last season's defensive line. The Broncos renegotiate player contracts downward all the time.

Here's how it works: "Take a pay cut or you're gone." The club objects only to renegotiating them upward.

So the notion that it is somehow morally objectionable for Marshall to demand market value after two sensational seasons in a notoriously short-lived profession is nothing more than propaganda from an organization looking to use its fan base to paint a player into a corner.

Somehow, Marshall's off- field issues have become a justification to cheat him out of a fair salary on the field. As Billups pointed out, any new Marshall contract is likely to contain lots of off-field behavior provisions.

The Broncos or his next team can protect themselves against off-field issues while paying him fairly for on-field performance.

Sillier still is the contention that Marshall is being disloyal to the Broncos by rehabbing from hip surgery in Orlando (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Orlando&searchTerm=Orlando), Fla (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Florida&searchTerm=Fla.)., rather than at the Broncos' facility. Was Tom Brady (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Tom%20Brady&searchTerm=Tom%20Brady) disloyal to the Patriots when he rehabbed from knee surgery in California (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=California&searchTerm=California)?

The fact is the Broncos' medical staff missed Marshall's hip injury, which caused him trouble last season. He admitted in November his toughness had been questioned within the organization. Why couldn't he practice if team doctors said he wasn't hurt?

It was only after his Pro Bowl season that Marshall consulted with doctors outside the organization and learned he needed hip surgery. Dr. Marc Philippon, who performed Alex Rodriguez (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Alex%20Rodriguez&searchTerm=Alex%20Rodriguez)'s recent hip surgery, performed Marshall's at the end of March.

Put yourself in his shoes. Would you trust the Broncos to look after your interests at this point? When he said he was hurt, they denied it and impugned his toughness to get him to play.

After he played through what turned out to be a significant injury, they refuse to pay him anything close to his market value.

You don't have to like Brandon Marshall. You don't have to admire him. But you have to admit that he is one of the few remaining stars on the Broncos' roster.
He has earned a new contract on the playing field. If the Broncos won't give it to him, he has every right to request a trade. And then, presumably, the new Broncos will be well on their way to what they want: a team without any offensive stars at all.

Well its true. The man does deserve to be paid more. Maybe they should give him 5 million for the season, have him play through without incident either off the field or healthwise and then sign him to a big deal next season.

He is underpaid.:coffee:

Tned
06-18-2009, 04:15 AM
The NFL is full of underpaid players. Pretty much anyone drafted in the middle to later rounds, who turns out to be a star by their second or third year, is going to be underpaid for a year or two.

If it wasn't for the off-field issues, then I think signing him to an extension, which would include a big signing bonus, and increased salaries from 2010, would be a no brainer. Because of the off-field issues, you can't blame the Broncos for pausing.

Dirk
06-18-2009, 05:23 AM
Nice article. Thanks for sharing War!

I love BMarsh, and would love for them to give him a new deal. As mentioned in that piece...it would need to have all types of conduct clauses in it. But the man does deserve to be paid.

On the other hand, if BMarsh is wanting out and is using this as an excuse...then show him the door. Of course we will never know if that is the case.

SoCalImport
06-18-2009, 05:55 AM
Nice article. Thanks for sharing War!

I love BMarsh, and would love for them to give him a new deal. As mentioned in that piece...it would need to have all types of conduct clauses in it. But the man does deserve to be paid.

On the other hand, if BMarsh is wanting out and is using this as an excuse...then show him the door. Of course we will never know if that is the case.

Exactly..We don't know.
We don't know if B.Marsh has been offered a new deal with clauses and just turned it down.
We don't know if B.Marsh was told that he won't see as many ball thrown his way.
We also don't know if He was told by Bowlen that He would NOT be given a new deal till he can play a full season with no further off field incidents.

All I know is that Brandon wants out...

It's a shame, but oh well:tsk:

Nomad
06-18-2009, 07:58 AM
Exactly..We don't know.
We don't know if B.Marsh has been offered a new deal with clauses and just turned it down.
We don't know if B.Marsh was told that he won't see as many ball thrown his way.
We also don't know if He was told by Bowlen that He would NOT be given a new deal till he can play a full season with no further off field incidents.

All I know is that Brandon wants out...

It's a shame, but oh well:tsk:

I would say all of the above! Speculating from my view this is what happened, Marshall was there at the beginning with his teammates and at Dove Valley then he looked through the playbook and said screw this and F McDaniels. If McDaniels is going to put me on the back burner, I want more money NOW because I'm not going to be the main guy like the last couple yrs and plus I deserve it from previous yrs. So he used the hip thing and went to Orlando.

He meets with Bowlen, after not being with his teammates, and Bowlen/Xanders says this is what we can offer for now. They explain why he will not get the deal he wants now and the clauses involved, but adds if he plays to his full potential and stays out of trouble, he'll get his big payday. Brandon (without taking time to think) says screw you I want the deal now, like a child walks out, grabs his stuff, and has a pity party on his blog.

I still believe that Marshall fails to realize what his off field issues has done to him regarding this new contract negotiation.

LRtagger
06-18-2009, 08:00 AM
It doesn't really matter if the new contract has off-field provisions. A new contract is probably going to include $10mil+ in guaranteed money...to a guy coming off hip surgury and a numb arm/hand and legal issues. Is it smart dropping $10mil+ on something that has question marks around it? Even with clauses in his contract he is still a risk.

The article asks to put yourself in Marshall's shoes, but try putting yourself in Bowlen's shoes as well.

I'm not going to argue that Marshall doesn't produce on the field. Because he does. It would hurt to lose a player like him. But this is a two-way street. You can't look at it so cut and dry like the writer here does. There is much more to it than just saying he caught 100 balls for us.

If Shanny's staff was questioning him...the same staff that drafted him and essentially wrote an entire playbook around him and Cutler, you have to second guess some things with him.

He does deserve it if you only consider his numbers on the field...but you can't deny the fact that he is a risk.

Northman
06-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Exactly..We don't know.

Bingo. These media darlings dont know what was said or offered to him.

LTC Pain
06-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Marshall doesn't deserve anything yet but to honor the contract he signed. Actions speak louder than words so the best course action for Marshall is to get healthy, show up and practice and stay out of trouble. Then and only then should the Broncos consider a contract extension. And if B Marshall needs guidance, talk to Weigmann or Rod Smith they will steer you straight.

pnbronco
06-18-2009, 10:16 AM
It doesn't really matter if the new contract has off-field provisions. A new contract is probably going to include $10mil+ in guaranteed money...to a guy coming off hip surgury and a numb arm/hand and legal issues. Is it smart dropping $10mil+ on something that has question marks around it? Even with clauses in his contract he is still a risk.

The article asks to put yourself in Marshall's shoes, but try putting yourself in Bowlen's shoes as well.

I'm not going to argue that Marshall doesn't produce on the field. Because he does. It would hurt to lose a player like him. But this is a two-way street. You can't look at it so cut and dry like the writer here does. There is much more to it than just saying he caught 100 balls for us.

If Shanny's staff was questioning him...the same staff that drafted him and essentially wrote an entire playbook around him and Cutler, you have to second guess some things with him.

He does deserve it if you only consider his numbers on the field...but you can't deny the fact that he is a risk.

Really well put. A new contract will have signing bonus that has is guaranteed and do the Broncos want to tied up that much when there are so many unknowns. I read last night that they will end up paying Boss over 7mil to play in 6 games.

I'm really glad that Casey has shown how to do it right. Also it sound like Rod Smith is willing to take him under his wing and guild him how to do it right. Rod was a red shirt and got a big, big raise for putting 110% out there. Why does it always seem like we are back to wait and see? Maybe Bowlen is genius and is trying to get a reality show for training camp...:laugh:

WARHORSE
06-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Really well put. A new contract will have signing bonus that has is guaranteed and do the Broncos want to tied up that much when there are so many unknowns. I read last night that they will end up paying Boss over 7mil to play in 6 games.

I'm really glad that Casey has shown how to do it right. Also it sound like Rod Smith is willing to take him under his wing and guild him how to do it right. Rod was a red shirt and got a big, big raise for putting 110% out there. Why does it always seem like we are back to wait and see? Maybe Bowlen is genius and is trying to get a reality show for training camp...:laugh:

Good to see ya PN.

Signing bonuses are subject to be paid back with bad behavior as well.

Happens all the time, see Michael Vick.

Even if Denver signs him to a deal next year after a year of good behavior and health, it will still stipulate in his contract that Brandon stay out of trouble or forfeit certain monies or percentages of monies.

Im hoping he comes into camp, and they get something worked out.

The man is underpaid, its the last year of his contract and we should be working with him.

He has to understand the situation from the Broncos side of things too, and if he can do that, then something can be worked out.

pnbronco
06-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Good to see ya PN.

Signing bonuses are subject to be paid back with bad behavior as well.

Happens all the time, see Michael Vick.

Even if Denver signs him to a deal next year after a year of good behavior and health, it will still stipulate in his contract that Brandon stay out of trouble or forfeit certain monies or percentages of monies.

Im hoping he comes into camp, and they get something worked out.

The man is underpaid, its the last year of his contract and we should be working with him.

He has to understand the situation from the Broncos side of things too, and if he can do that, then something can be worked out.

Thanks War I didn't know that. I just hope he grows up enough and listens to the "right" people like Rod to come to camp and work this out. He has such talent and honestly I worry about Brandon the person if he doesn't have Rod, and Rev Kelly around him to help him make better choices for his life. I will never say he isn't underpaid, because he is. I just want him to be accountable his part on why he doesn't have a new contract yet. I think it's a win - win if he comes to camp and works it out....

Shazam!
06-18-2009, 11:58 AM
With our luck they'd sign him to a big deal then his fist would accidentally hit his girl in the face or tear up his knee tripping on a Burger King fry box.

Italianmobstr7
06-18-2009, 12:10 PM
I agree 100% with that article. Give the man his money. Put some trust in him. Put off the field clauses in the contract. This can be a win-win situation for the Broncos if they don't F it up...again.

topscribe
06-18-2009, 12:12 PM
It was my understanding the Broncos were fixing to give Marshall a new
contract until the latest of his off-field foibles.

BMarsh has given me thrills I have never seen from a Broncos receiver . . .
and I've seen them all. When I watch that young man play, I can't help but to
ponder how he could become the best in the game.

But would I give a raise to a player who has embarrassed the club with his
off-field antics, constant encounters with the police, and perhaps not all that
certain about either a hip or yet a suspension that may prevent him from
playing? In addition, there is a locker room full of players, watching to see
how the Broncos handle this one. The way they handle their own situations in
the future may well depend on what the Broncos do with this one.

I don't pretend to be an authority on this, but it just seems to me that it is
incumbent upon the club to consider all the implications, which I believe they
are doing at the time. If they simply told Marshall to show up for work,
continue his excellent production on the field, and, more important, keep his
nose clean off the field for one year, then they will reward him with a very
nice contract . . . well, what options would he have? Does he want to take a
chance of losing the $2.2 million he already has coming, too?

For the good of the team, its players, its fans, and Brandon Marshall himself,
the team just cannot cave in, as I see it. I think the word is "accountability."

----

BroncoWave
06-18-2009, 12:13 PM
I agree 100% with that article. Give the man his money. Put some trust in him. Put off the field clauses in the contract. This can be a win-win situation for the Broncos if they don't F it up...again.

How do you know that's not what Denver tried to to and that was the sticking point for BM? If that were the case would you feel differently about the situation?

LRtagger
06-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Exactly...maybe the entire conflict is Bowlen wants stipulations in the contract that Marshall and his agent do not want...so Bowlen says "well, OK then...play this year out and prove you can stay out of trouble and we will work out a contract next offseason". Perhaps Marshall didn't like that idea either.

Just saying...I doubt Bowlen is stupid enough to make a decision on Marshall without due diligence. I'm sure he will do everything in his power to work out a solution that is fair for both parties. Let's not try to put 100% of the blame on the Broncos as this article does.

As has been said time again...if Marshall does not have 14 or whatever incidents in the past 5 years, he is already making top 10 money right now and we are all happy campers.

weazel
06-18-2009, 01:05 PM
hers a new deal.

show up, play hard, try to hold onto the ball and quit beating your girlfriend. You prove you can do that, we'll show you the money. Now piss off and get on the field

Requiem / The Dagda
06-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Weazel, you should be our GM with bargaining positions like that. I got a little scared reading it. Sure would have got me on the field.

weazel
06-18-2009, 01:40 PM
weazel, you should be our gm with bargaining positions like that. I got a little scared reading it. Sure would have got me on the field.

lol

Nature Boy
06-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Just pay the guy already.

You can't blame Marshall for wanting what he is worth. 2nd in total receptions behind only Wes Welker and Marshall gets his balls the hard way, lined up against the opponents best CB and most the time doubled teamed; unlike Welker(dinks and dunks off the spread shotgun with Randy Moss drawing all the attention).

Marshall knows his stats will only falter without Cutler throwing him the ball so he's doing the smart thing in wanting a new contract coming off 2 consecutive all pro performances.

and quote.

broncofanatic1987
06-18-2009, 03:42 PM
With Marshall facing a suspension if he's convicted in Georgia, the Broncos should wait to see if he's acquitted before they offer him a new contract.

frauschieze
06-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Was Tom Brady disloyal to the Patriots when he rehabbed from knee surgery in California?

No, dipshit. Brady was on IR during the season and could not legally participate in team activities anyway. Furthermore, he wasn't in the position of learning a brand spanking new offense with a new head coach, new offensive coordinator, new position coach and NEW FREAKIN' QUARTERBACK. The situation is not even remotely comparable.

Nature Boy
06-18-2009, 04:11 PM
If we don't sign Marshall, our best 1,2 WRs will be Eddie Royal and Brandon Stokely.

Royal is a 2nd yr player that looked great but he also had a "Stud" QB throwing him the ball. Stokely isn't exactly young and isn't exactly a fantasy "Must".

No, wait, we have Jabar Gaffney and We just signed Brandon Lloyd... hurray!!!

Lonestar
06-18-2009, 04:31 PM
read it and do not agree that he deserves a deal until he becomes a team player..

Unless he can produce in our system that means getting open and actually catching the balls thrown to him well what good is he in DEN..

If he can' catch about the same % of passes that the QB has as an Average completion rate then he is a drag on our TEAM..

While he caught alot of balls that past 2 years it was because the system was design for him and jay to play catch.

His grip with that broncos calling him a sissy by not playing hurt.. well that is not an issue anymore as al of those folks are GONE..

I have ZERO problem with giving him a NEW contract with incentives built in and signing bonus being gradual almost nothing up front 2-5 mill if that.. and then roster bonuses from that point on..

Let him earn the potential of $6-9 mil a year:

by being on the field making catches OR being a decoy so other can make the catches..

he has to maintain a certain catch % level or he loses money, if he increases above that amount he makes a bonus..

he has the same thing for YAC..

he has the same thing for YPC..

he has to attend all meetings/practices unless excused by Josh/Xman..

if he is arrested or police are called near his house he is fined..:D

if he looks like he is going to do something stupid (horse around with relatives or do a end zone obama production) he gets fined..

so let him go for the gusto.. and earn as much as he can.. I have no issue with that..

Will he?.

SmilinAssasSin27
06-18-2009, 07:47 PM
If he wasn't an ******* he'd have gotten his new deal months ago. He can go.

EMB6903
06-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Marshall has averaged around 1200+ yards recieving 100+ receptions and around 7 td's each year since hes become a full time starter while playing on a 4th round contract, there is no doubt he deserves a new contract and whoever says otherwise is nothing more then a HATER.... IMO he deserves top 8 WR money atleast..... just has to have stipulations in the contract....

SmilinAssasSin27
06-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Marshall has averaged around 1200+ yards recieving 100+ receptions and around 7 td's each year since hes become a full time starter while playing on a 4th round contract, there is no doubt he deserves a new contract and whoever says otherwise is nothing more then a HATER.... IMO he deserves top 8 WR money atleast..... just has to have stipulations in the contract....

Feel free to call me a hater, but dude was about to get the deal before he got into it yet again w/ his lady friend. That was all HIS fault. For a second, it looked like he was growing up a bit too. Sux, cuz I was hoping so. Screw the numbers. He turns the ball over and drops passes, but noone wants to mention that.

EMB6903
06-18-2009, 08:09 PM
nobody is perfect

Marshall definately makes up for those dropped balls....

BroncoAV06
06-18-2009, 08:35 PM
No, dipshit. Brady was on IR during the season and could not legally participate in team activities anyway. Furthermore, he wasn't in the position of learning a brand spanking new offense with a new head coach, new offensive coordinator, new position coach and NEW FREAKIN' QUARTERBACK. The situation is not even remotely comparable.

I don't think he was refering to the season, but you are right that Brady did not have a new system to learn.

I don't like how Brandon is going about this and am not sold on the team solving this issue.

I understand the problems with a big deal with the off the field issues but if he has had the right surgery, rehabed well, and his hand is good to go why is there such a problem with his injuries? He sure did play pretty well for a guy in pain last year. Is Hillis not coming off an even serious injury and everyone is looking forward to what he is going to do.

SmilinAssasSin27
06-18-2009, 08:51 PM
nobody is perfect

Marshall definately makes up for those dropped balls....

We lost games because of some of those drops and fumbles in key moments. I know I was very proud when we lost to KC specifically. He made the difference there...

Simple Jaded
06-18-2009, 08:56 PM
It was my understanding the Broncos were fixing to give Marshall a new
contract until the latest of his off-field foibles.

BMarsh has given me thrills I have never seen from a Broncos receiver . . .
and I've seen them all. When I watch that young man play, I can't help but to
ponder how he could become the best in the game.

But would I give a raise to a player who has embarrassed the club with his
off-field antics, constant encounters with the police, and perhaps not all that
certain about either a hip or yet a suspension that may prevent him from
playing? In addition, there is a locker room full of players, watching to see
how the Broncos handle this one. The way they handle their own situations in
the future may well depend on what the Broncos do with this one.

I don't pretend to be an authority on this, but it just seems to me that it is
incumbent upon the club to consider all the implications, which I believe they
are doing at the time. If they simply told Marshall to show up for work,
continue his excellent production on the field, and, more important, keep his
nose clean off the field for one year, then they will reward him with a very
nice contract . . . well, what options would he have? Does he want to take a
chance of losing the $2.2 million he already has coming, too?

For the good of the team, its players, its fans, and Brandon Marshall himself,
the team just cannot cave in, as I see it. I think the word is "accountability."

----

Nice post, Top, but I disagree that giving Marshall a new contract should be thought of as caving in, unless they've already painted themselves into a corner, in which case, shame on them.

But, Marshall is going into the last year of his contract and it's nothing new for the Denver Broncos to negotiate with players in that situation, even when they really don't have to. Also, Marshall has certainly proven his worth ON the field, if not off the field, and that's where negotiations should start, imo.

It's a delicate situation, but if the Broncos handle this correctly (Granted, that's much easier said than done, for any team) they could be sending exactly the right message to the rest of the players.......anybody that thinks the Broncos are better off without Brandon Marshall is kidding themselves, and I don't think that there are many people in that locker room that are thinking along those lines.

Imo, the best thing for the Broncos, its players, its fans, and Brandon Marshall himself, is for Brandon Marshall to be a part of the long range plans.......

WARHORSE
06-19-2009, 02:54 AM
We lost games because of our defense first and foremost.

LordTrychon
06-19-2009, 03:55 AM
They were ready to pay him until an incident with law enforcement that was completely dropped.

I think many of us forgot he was in his last year, where we usually extend most contracts, because we were so used to talking about an extension for Cutler this offseason.

Now, he's had one incident in over a year... and that turned out to be nothing as far as the league is concerned. Pay the man like you were planning, and don't let that one incident hurt the team.

It's possible that he was offered $8mil/yr and wanted two more... and that's the sticking point... but I doubt it.

Elevation inc
06-19-2009, 04:20 AM
meh i am tired of the drama, i will focus and root for whoever takes the field next year, be it brandon lloyd or brandon marshall....the 53 that play next year is where my focus lies.

no sense beating around the bush about a issue in June, when all thats going on is speculation by brandon and media outlets and a denver FO that is staying tight lipped.

lets be real here...its june and we all are nervous because of the cutler drama, but watching this board do extreme 180's on brandon is kinda heard to take after he fought through injury last year to do what he could for this team and stayed out of trouble.

i get the caution and concern...but lets try and stay objective, we are not a better team without brandon marshall....i belive even MCD knows this

LordTrychon
06-19-2009, 04:28 AM
Also, I may be going insane, but I think I saw at least one reference to how he should be listening to Vets such as Wiegmann... Casey was going to hold out if he didn't get a raise... maybe he was indeed listening to him.

Anyway, I never got around to posting in the thread about Marshall's ability, so I'll post this here. I remember very specifically when Rod Smith had consecutive 100 catch seasons, and hearing how rare it was. I can't find a good site to search for that, so I had to look up a few players I was pretty sure did it.

Jerry Rice was in his 6th season when he first reached 100 catches in a season. In his 10th and 11th, he finally did it in consecutive seasons.

Cris Carter did it in his 8th and 9th.

Randy Moss in his 5th and 6th.

Rod Smith in his 6th and 7th.

Tim Brown posted one 100 catch season... in his 10th year.

Marshall may not be the best ever... but he's pretty good.

Edit: Also, I agree with Elev. Inc... in the end, I'll be rooting for the 53 that take the field after the dust settles. I just hope that Marshall is one of those 53.

Dirk
06-19-2009, 05:41 AM
"Conspiracy Theory"

Cutty and Brandon texting back and forth.....Cutty has already gotten Lovie to agree to grab BMarsh once he is on the market....Cutty is trying his best to get his fav target in Chi Town.

Just Kidding!

Pay the kid! Put the clauses in that need to be there but pay the kid. If he tanks with less production because Orton doesn't HAVE TO THROW every down because of a terrible defense, it will be noticed and will be reflected on his pay.

But having BMarsh on the field for us only help with Moreno's running game. And vise versa of course.

LRtagger
06-19-2009, 06:44 AM
Also, I may be going insane, but I think I saw at least one reference to how he should be listening to Vets such as Wiegmann... Casey was going to hold out if he didn't get a raise... maybe he was indeed listening to him.

Anyway, I never got around to posting in the thread about Marshall's ability, so I'll post this here. I remember very specifically when Rod Smith had consecutive 100 catch seasons, and hearing how rare it was. I can't find a good site to search for that, so I had to look up a few players I was pretty sure did it.

Jerry Rice was in his 6th season when he first reached 100 catches in a season. In his 10th and 11th, he finally did it in consecutive seasons.

Cris Carter did it in his 8th and 9th.

Randy Moss in his 5th and 6th.

Rod Smith in his 6th and 7th.

Tim Brown posted one 100 catch season... in his 10th year.

Marshall may not be the best ever... but he's pretty good.

Edit: Also, I agree with Elev. Inc... in the end, I'll be rooting for the 53 that take the field after the dust settles. I just hope that Marshall is one of those 53.

No, Casey was going to retire if they couldnt negotiate a new contract. The difference is, Casey is not a trouble maker and he is not coming off two major injuries. Casey also has shown up for all practices and team meetings.

You can't compare Brandon's numbers to those guys...none of those teams threw the ball 600 times per year. Also, I bet none of those guys were targeted 185 times per year.

I'm not one of the people that thinks Brandon sucks or we are a better team without him, but he is doing this the wrong way. And it's not as cut and dry as saying he catches a lot of balls so give him a new contract. He is a tremendous risk. One incident away from an 8-game suspension. A guy that has had 15 or so incidents in 5 years - the odds are very good that he will have another incident.

The team deserves a committment from Brandon as much as he does from the team. Commit to stay out of trouble for one year and we will commit to a long term deal. EASY.

Den21vsBal19
06-19-2009, 06:55 AM
Serious question........... how does a suspended player count against the roster and salary cap? :confused:

weazel
06-19-2009, 09:11 AM
get rid of all the drama queens. I'm tired of logging on here every morning just to see who got arrested or demanded a trade the night before.

The teams as a whole is better without players like this.

Northman
06-19-2009, 09:15 AM
They were ready to pay him until an incident with law enforcement that was completely dropped.

I think many of us forgot he was in his last year, where we usually extend most contracts, because we were so used to talking about an extension for Cutler this offseason.

Now, he's had one incident in over a year... and that turned out to be nothing as far as the league is concerned. Pay the man like you were planning, and don't let that one incident hurt the team.

It's possible that he was offered $8mil/yr and wanted two more... and that's the sticking point... but I doubt it.

Doesnt matter that it was dropped. Its a pattern that is consistent with his issues with Whatley. If it was a speeding ticket i doubt Goodell would give a damn. But it had to do with yet ANOTHER domestic violence issue and it raises concerns.

Den21vsBal19
06-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Doesnt matter that it was dropped. Its a pattern that is consistent with his issues with Whatley. If it was a speeding ticket i doubt Goodell would give a damn. But it had to do with yet ANOTHER domestic violence issue and it raises concerns.
I wouldn't have been to sure about that after his DUI ;)

Bottom line is for Marshall to get a decent rise this year, he had to keep his nose clean, and he hasn't :whoknows:

And I'm willing to bet that a lot of teams would be wary about giving him big bucks, especially as he's not back training yet after another surgery.....................there's only Oakland Al that's that daft

broncofanatic1987
06-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Marshall has a pending trial in Georgia. He faces suspension if he's convicted. It's not about if he gets into trouble one more time. He's already in trouble and it hasn't been resolved yet. Why should the Broncos give him a new contract before that trial is complete? Why not wait until after the trial, if he's acquitted, to give him a new contract?

frauschieze
06-19-2009, 11:16 AM
I don't think he was refering to the season, but you are right that Brady did not have a new system to learn.

Brady was at the Patriots' voluntary OTAs and mandatory mini camp. He didn't go to the two day set of OTAs that was designed for first and second year players and that most every veteran skipped. But otherwise he's been there and on the field all offseason. If the writer wasn't referring to the season and thought that Brady was rehabbing in California instead of on the field with the rest of his team, he's a bigger dipshit than I thought.

LRtagger
06-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Brady was at the Patriots' voluntary OTAs and mandatory mini camp. He didn't go to the two day set of OTAs that was designed for first and second year players and that most every veteran skipped. But otherwise he's been there and on the field all offseason. If the writer wasn't referring to the season and thought that Brady was rehabbing in California instead of on the field with the rest of his team, he's a bigger dipshit than I thought.

If I had to guess I would say Kreiger wrote this article. He has been bashing the Broncos and praising Marshall all week.

LRtagger
06-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Check out what Rod has to say about Marshall.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/index.php

Last video on the video page.

Also some good other videos from camp.

Lonestar
06-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Check out what Rod has to say about Marshall.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/index.php

Last video on the video page.

Also some good other videos from camp.

amazing guy, scary that few players have his work ethic..

hopefully BM will get in touch with him..

weazel
06-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Marshall has a pending trial in Georgia. He faces suspension if he's convicted. It's not about if he gets into trouble one more time. He's already in trouble and it hasn't been resolved yet. Why should the Broncos give him a new contract before that trial is complete? Why not wait until after the trial, if he's acquitted, to give him a new contract?

I tried to BOLD my "thumbs up" but it wouldnt let me, sorry

weazel
06-19-2009, 03:49 PM
We lost games because of our defense first and foremost.

dont let reality ruin a good post

girler
06-19-2009, 03:53 PM
dont let reality ruin a good post

What is this "reality" of which you speak? It sounds really scary.

T.K.O.
06-19-2009, 04:16 PM
What is this "reality" of which you speak? It sounds really scary.

its something on tv....i think:confused:

girler
06-19-2009, 04:42 PM
its something on tv....i think:confused:

Ooooohhhh! Like Survivor! It's ok for TV I guess, but I like my bed and showers and stuff, so I'll stay home where it's comfy. :salute:

rcsodak
06-19-2009, 05:29 PM

1. NOBODY has disagreed he's accomplished way more than his pay.

2. Most, if not all, are saying he has ZERO leverage here. He's up for a trial! He can't even practice yet! He's holding out from mandatory camps, and not attending OTA's!

3. If you think ANY player, especially someone like BM with his record, will gladly agree to a contract jam-packed with stipulations/do's/don'ts, then you're living in lala land.
Remember, this is the same person that was going to forfeit $$$ because of his luv affair with Obama, and his "spreading the wealth". Don't mean to make this political, but I think it's pertinent, and goes to his mental being.

It's going to take Rod Smith/Shanny/Cut-n-run'er and maybe even a text message form BO for him to be 'shown the light', I'm afraid.

not the sharpest knife, and drawer come to mind when I think of him. :coffee:

rcsodak
06-19-2009, 05:40 PM

Are you forgetting his upcoming trial? That'd be AWESOME if they paid him $15M signing bonus, and 2mos later, he's sent packing for 4-17 weeks!

He needs to get his ass to DV, be a team player, and PROVE his worth to the new coaches/players.

There's no reason to not believe he'd get paid, then.

EMB6903
06-19-2009, 07:34 PM
We lost games because of some of those drops and fumbles in key moments. I know I was very proud when we lost to KC specifically. He made the difference there...

He also made a difference vs San Diego, New Orleans and made the game winning Touchdown vs Cleveland.

Ya a big time fumble vs KC but you cant count out the fact that he torched the Chiefs for 18 receptions for 160 yards and 3 td's this past year.

The guy is a complete *******.... and yes hes as fake as they get off the field but people need to understand that there isnt 6 WR's in this league that have been more productive then him on the field since hes become a fulltime starter.

edit... also before last year.... Marshalls first year as a starter, he made HUGE plays down the stretch vs Pittsburgh on the game winning drive.... also was amazing the last Broncos possesion that forced OT vs Green Bay.... I really do think this guy had an off year from everything that was going on last year and he still managed to put up 104 receptions for 1200 yards recieving, the guy is a freak of nature and is only going to get better.... it would be a HUGE mistake not to sign this guy.

LRtagger
06-19-2009, 08:42 PM
I wish people would stop talking about his accomplishments. NO ONE IS DENYING THAT HE IS A GOOD RECEIVER. But honestly, how many catches is he going to have during his next 8 game suspension??

The question you have to ask yourself before giving him big money is "Can he stay out of trouble, not miss games, and not be a distraction to other players?". His history suggests, no he can't.

It is not unreasonable at all to ask him to stay out of trouble for ONE YEAR before giving him a new contract. I mean, how hard is it really? He's already going to be making $1.5mil more this year then he did last year...you stay out of trouble this season, you get a big long term deal. It really isn't asking that much of him.

rcsodak
06-19-2009, 09:32 PM
He also made a difference vs San Diego, New Orleans and made the game winning Touchdown vs Cleveland.
Great....he did his job. :coffee:

Ya a big time fumble vs KC but you cant count out the fact that he torched the Chiefs for 18 receptions for 160 yards and 3 td's this past year.See, that's the problem. You give him such accolades for doing his job, but when he sux and is partly the cause to losing, you do the "ya, but" play. Frankly, those stats against the chefs SUCK!

The guy is a complete *******.... and yes hes as fake as they get off the field but people need to understand that there isnt 6 WR's in this league that have been more productive then him on the field since hes become a fulltime starter.

edit... also before last year.... Marshalls first year as a starter, he made HUGE plays down the stretch vs Pittsburgh on the game winning drive.... also was amazing the last Broncos possesion that forced OT vs Green Bay.... I really do think this guy had an off year from everything that was going on last year and he still managed to put up 104 receptions for 1200 yards recieving, the guy is a freak of nature and is only going to get better.... it would be a HUGE mistake not to sign this guy.

And you'll be happy to know, that BM IS signed. But maybe you should remind him of that little factoid.

Lonestar
06-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Great....he did his job. :coffee:

See, that's the problem. You give him such accolades for doing his job, but when he sux and is partly the cause to losing, you do the "ya, but" play. Frankly, those stats against the chefs SUCK!

And you'll be happy to know, that BM IS signed. But maybe you should remind him of that little factoid.

so many forget that he is indeed under contract one which he readily agreed to.. and was happy with till jay whispered in his ear..

one which he made 1.5 mill last year and 2.2 for the coming year..

not bad for a spouse abuser, reckless, immature, suspended maroon.....

rcsodak
06-19-2009, 09:56 PM
so many forget that he is indeed under contract one which he readily agreed to.. and was happy with till jay whispered in his ear..

Agreed, jr, except his Pay Raise is $1.5M this year....last year he made $5ook+.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-19-2009, 10:09 PM
I wish people would stop talking about his accomplishments. NO ONE IS DENYING THAT HE IS A GOOD RECEIVER. But honestly, how many catches is he going to have during his next 8 game suspension??

The question you have to ask yourself before giving him big money is "Can he stay out of trouble, not miss games, and not be a distraction to other players?". His history suggests, no he can't.

It is not unreasonable at all to ask him to stay out of trouble for ONE YEAR before giving him a new contract. I mean, how hard is it really? He's already going to be making $1.5mil more this year then he did last year...you stay out of trouble this season, you get a big long term deal. It really isn't asking that much of him.

And that's exactly what Gary Miller said that Brandon failed to put on his blog on his website:

Bowlen told him to stay out of trouble off the field, be productive on the field, and he will get his new contract with the Broncos next year.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Tned
06-19-2009, 10:14 PM

First, there is no 'basis' for your claim that Jay 'whispered' in his ear.

Second, Marshall did NOT make 1.5 million last year. Instead, he has made a TOTAL of 1.5 million in his first three years in the league, while being one of only a handful of players in the NFL to every have back to back 100 catch seasons.

Third, of the nine or so WR's under contract with the Broncos last year, Marshall and Glen Martinez were tied as the lowest paid recievers on the Denver Broncos.

If you are going to hate on the player, get the facts straight.

LordTrychon
06-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Are you forgetting his upcoming trial? That'd be AWESOME if they paid him $15M signing bonus, and 2mos later, he's sent packing for 4-17 weeks!

He needs to get his ass to DV, be a team player, and PROVE his worth to the new coaches/players.

There's no reason to not believe he'd get paid, then.

He'll have as many catches during his next suspension as we will have money owed for same game played, and if it's serious, we can also go after signing bonuses.

It's not going to be money lost or anything.

As far as the league is concerned, he HAS stayed out of trouble for the past year. Someone said something along the lines of 'Goodell wouldn't care if it was something like a speeding ticket'... news flash... Goodell didn't care about the incident this offseason.

The upcoming trial is for stuff that Brandon's already been punished for and admonished for. If Watley continues to try suit after suit, or tactic after tactic... should we just continually not pay him then?

She's upset because her extortion attempts didn't work.

Honestly, I'm not positive that Brandon doesn't want the extension so he can finally throw her a bone to shut up. Not out of guilt, but out of annoyance.

MOtorboat
06-20-2009, 12:32 AM
The upcoming trial is for stuff that Brandon's already been punished for and admonished for. If Watley continues to try suit after suit, or tactic after tactic... should we just continually not pay him then?

Too bad the league doesn't see it that way...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810a5f89&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

LordTrychon
06-20-2009, 12:51 AM
Too bad the league doesn't see it that way...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810a5f89&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I understand he could still receive additional discipline for any legal ramifications that come from the case. That would be the same scenario if she'd waited another two years to file suit and he hadn't done anything in between. As far as the league is concerned, Marshall has not done anything discipline worthy in the past year.

Northman
06-20-2009, 08:46 AM
I understand he could still receive additional discipline for any legal ramifications that come from the case. That would be the same scenario if she'd waited another two years to file suit and he hadn't done anything in between. As far as the league is concerned, Marshall has not done anything discipline worthy in the past year.

But that doesnt mean they should pay him because of that. Until EVERYTHING is cleared up the Broncos cant afford to take the risk. If there's still a possibility that he wont see the field this season it would be stupid for Denver to shovel out money until he is cleared for all his past transgressions.

rcsodak
06-20-2009, 02:15 PM
He'll have as many catches during his next suspension as we will have money owed for same game played, and if it's serious, we can also go after signing bonuses.

It's not going to be money lost or anything.

As far as the league is concerned, he HAS stayed out of trouble for the past year. Someone said something along the lines of 'Goodell wouldn't care if it was something like a speeding ticket'... news flash... Goodell didn't care about the incident this offseason.

She's upset because her extortion attempts didn't work.

Honestly, I'm not positive that Brandon doesn't want the extension so he can finally throw her a bone to shut up. Not out of guilt, but out of annoyance.

You know, I was saying that very same thing a few months ago. Why not just have a contract written up telling her to **** and leave him alone, and she'll get XXXX$$$$$. Of course, it'd have to be in such a way as it wasn't looked on as a bribe or extortion. <thought I'd head that off now>

Tned
06-20-2009, 02:25 PM
But that doesnt mean they should pay him because of that. Until EVERYTHING is cleared up the Broncos cant afford to take the risk. If there's still a possibility that he wont see the field this season it would be stupid for Denver to shovel out money until he is cleared for all his past transgressions.

Especially as he is 'locked up' for two more years (assuming the new CBA has the same/similar unrestricted free agent rules).

There is no doubt Marshall has 'earned' an extension and new contract, but the Broncos also have the leverage, so they don't need to reach yet.

They could even agree to a 'deal in princible' that could be signed after the '09 season if Marshall stays out of trouble.

Poet
06-20-2009, 02:30 PM
No, he does not. He would deserve a new deal if he decided he wasn't going to constantly put his future up in the air with his off the field actions. Yes, he has insane production, but at an overrated position.

If the guy kept his nose clean, he would deserve a new deal. Hell, he's even at risk when he is around fast food wrappers.

Marshall screwed himself over.

BroncosRockdaRockies
06-20-2009, 05:53 PM
How many chances are they supposed to give to these players? I mean for godsakes you are playing a game for a living! Grow up and earn your pay like every hard working fan does. You are a role Model act like it or ****!!!!

Tned
06-20-2009, 05:58 PM
How many chances are they supposed to give to these players? I mean for godsakes you are playing a game for a living! Grow up and earn your pay like every hard working fan does. You are a role Model act like it or ****!!!!

He's only had one, one game suspension to date, so it isn't like the Broncos have been impacted. Mike Anderson was suspended for 4 games.

BroncoAV06
06-20-2009, 08:30 PM

He is indeed playing a game but that does not mean he should not to be paid for his services. It is not like anyone can go out on a football field and catch 100 balls. Up untill the last few weeks he has earned his pay.