PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Back to 'Orange Crush'

Denver Native (Carol)
06-18-2012, 10:02 AM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Middle linebacker Joe Mays is a big believer in of the game’s oldest adages.

“The defense, we win championships,” Mays said. “You’ve heard that saying for years now, and it’s true."

After Wednesday morning’s minicamp practice, Mays made it clear that the defense is determined to improve.

“In order for us to win games, the defense is going to have to come out and be a little bit more consistent than we were last year, be a lot more aggressive, and just try to make plays,” Mays said.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Notebook-Back-to-Orange-Crush/61e48d6c-e590-4fce-bb93-3b149ab4ece7

Cugel
06-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Notice that NFL defenses don't have nicknames anymore? The "Orange Crush", the "Purple People Eaters", the "No-Name Defense", the "Steel Curtain", the "Doomsday Defense"?

Back in the '70s defenses dominated. There was a point in naming them.

Today, there's no point. Defenses, despite what Joe Mays says DO NOT win Championships. Not even the Giants 2007 defense did that.

What they CAN do is play well enough so that if you have an elite QB like Eli Manning you can win a championship despite the fact that the other team has Tom Brady, or Drew Brees, or Aaron Rogers -- which the Giants did twice.

If the defense plays great this season then the Broncos have a chance at the SB, but only because they have Peyton Manning.

The one season that Manning won the SB their defense came together and started playing extremely well late in the year and into the playoffs. Every other time the Colts defense let Manning down.

Chef Zambini
06-18-2012, 10:36 AM
score 24, give up less than 21.
Ilook forward to a defensive effort that will JUSTIFY a catchy nickname !

Cugel
06-18-2012, 12:38 PM
score 24, give up less than 21.
I look forward to a defensive effort that will JUSTIFY a catchy nickname !

Does the Ravens defense have a name these days? The Steelers'? They're not the "Steel Curtain" anymore. What are they today?

Defenses simply aren't dominant. Because of the passing rules it takes an elite QB to win the SB these days.

Just look at the list of the last 20 SB winners. If you have a top 3 defense of all-time then maybe you can win the SB with defense and a mediocre QB.

But, it'll be a cold day in Hell when another Jeff Hostetler, Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson wins the Lombardi trophy. This ain't yesterday's NFL.

And due to considerations the concussions law-suit, it's going to be less and less like yesterday's NFL in the future. The NFL is going to have to totally revamp helmet design and open helmet manufacture up to competition. And there will be further rule chances to protect the players, the result of which will further enable the offense at the expense of the defense by hindering what defenders can do.

That's going to make having an elite QB even MORE important and FURTHER emphasize passing at the expense of the defense.

NightTerror218
06-18-2012, 12:50 PM
I have actually still heard the Steelers defense called the Steel Curtain.

Day1BroncoFan
06-19-2012, 05:32 PM
I can hear the steel curtain falling right now.

tomjonesrocks
06-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Since when did Joe Mays become the minister of information?

Day1BroncoFan
06-19-2012, 06:22 PM
I think it started when someone asked him a question.

turftoad
06-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Does the Ravens defense have a name these days? The Steelers'? They're not the "Steel Curtain" anymore. What are they today?

Defenses simply aren't dominant. Because of the passing rules it takes an elite QB to win the SB these days.

Just look at the list of the last 20 SB winners. If you have a top 3 defense of all-time then maybe you can win the SB with defense and a mediocre QB.

But, it'll be a cold day in Hell when another Jeff Hostetler, Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson wins the Lombardi trophy. This ain't yesterday's NFL.

And due to considerations the concussions law-suit, it's going to be less and less like yesterday's NFL in the future. The NFL is going to have to totally revamp helmet design and open helmet manufacture up to competition. And there will be further rule chances to protect the players, the result of which will further enable the offense at the expense of the defense by hindering what defenders can do.

That's going to make having an elite QB even MORE important and FURTHER emphasize passing at the expense of the defense.

Back in those days there wasn't any free agency. There was a lot less player movement. Those guys pretty much played TOGETHER thier whole careers. FA screwed that all up. Those days were the best.

oubronco
06-19-2012, 09:00 PM

Exactly why Elway wanted to make a run at Manning and get rid of Tebow

Chef Zambini
06-20-2012, 06:05 PM

That's going to make having an elite QB even MORE important and FURTHER emphasize passing at the expense of the defense.excellent post especially regarding the inevitasble evolution of the game and protective gear.
back to the subject, nicknames...
if the defense does what it is suppose to do we can call them 'WORLD CHAMPIONS'
and thats the best nickname of all !

Cugel
06-20-2012, 07:21 PM
I have actually still heard the Steelers defense called the Steel Curtain.

Some announcers might do that, but the REAL Steel Curtain was the 70s team with Mean Joe Green, Mel Blount, Jack Ham and Jack Lambert. All of them are in the Hall of Fame. None of the current Steelers defenders are likely to get into the Hall.

So, it's pretty idiotic to call their current defense the "Steel Curtain" even if they are one of the best in today's NFL.

For those who think the "good old days" were something great, remember that in Super Bowl IX when the Steelers won their first SB, the score was 9-0 until late in the 4th quarter. Two of those points were on a safety against Vikings QB Fran Tarkenton.

The NFL is frankly a lot more exciting these days.

Chef Zambini
06-20-2012, 09:30 PM
palomaLO WILL BE AN hofER

MOtorboat
06-20-2012, 09:58 PM
palomaLO WILL BE AN hofER

Profound.

Chef Zambini
06-20-2012, 10:07 PM
Profound.thats what the steelers sad when they first saw palomalo, 'pro found".

MOtorboat
06-20-2012, 10:16 PM
thats what the steelers sad when they first saw palomalo, 'pro found".

Your obsession with the safety position is kind of funny.

Chef Zambini
06-20-2012, 10:21 PM
its our weakest defensive link, and teams will be incorporating more TEs in their offense, so the role of the safety is magnified !

Chef Zambini
06-20-2012, 10:23 PM
... and before you say anything about LBs on TEs, tell me first which of our LBs have distinguished themselves as cover defenders.

MOtorboat
06-20-2012, 10:25 PM
... and before you say anything about LBs on TEs, tell me first which of our LBs have distinguished themselves as cover defenders.

Williams and Miller are both adequate defenders against the pass and run.

Chef Zambini
06-20-2012, 10:34 PM
DJ williams?
he is out for at least 6 games, and most likely more !

Miller, he is our pass rusher exraordinaire, are you suggesting we instead have him cover a decoy TE ?
there is only ONE QB. and as many as FIVE eligable receivers, I would rather hasve our top pass rusher
attacking the QB, that effects all the receivers !
try again.
or tell me about the great cover safeties we have.

MOtorboat
06-20-2012, 10:36 PM
DJ williams?
he is out for at least 6 games, and most likely more !

Miller, he is our pass rusher exraordinaire, are you suggesting we instead have him cover a decoy TE ?
there is only ONE QB. and as many as FIVE eligable receivers, I would rather hasve our top pass rusher
attacking the QB, that effects all the receivers !
try again.
or tell me about the great cover safeties we have.

No worries. Your Champ rants clearly show you don't understand defense at all...

Chef Zambini
06-20-2012, 10:38 PM
great answer, it indicates your insight on the subject.

MOtorboat
06-20-2012, 10:41 PM
great answer, it indicates your insight on the subject.

I understand the defensive side of the ball a whole hell of a lot better than you.

Chef Zambini
06-20-2012, 11:07 PM
yes of course you do, we all know that, thats why I am asking which of our safeties haS DEMONSTRATED THE BEST COVER SKILLS.

MOtorboat
06-20-2012, 11:09 PM
yes of course you do, we all know that, thats why I am asking which of our safeties haS DEMONSTRATED THE BEST COVER SKILLS.

Mike Adams.

Timmy!
06-20-2012, 11:10 PM

Adams. We should probably move him to linebacker though.......

MOtorboat
06-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Adams. We should probably move him to linebacker though.......

Whatever Denver does, we should make sure he's not playing his natural position, and where his skill set is best suited.

That would be stoopid. Frankly, Adams probably should play DT.

Chef Zambini
06-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Adams. We should probably move him to linebacker though.......adams, that covers one TE who is best suited to cover the other?
we will see lots of 2 TE offenses this year, it will be the "new thing" thanks to the success of the patriots !

Jsteve01
06-21-2012, 09:13 AM
adams, that covers one TE who is best suited to cover the other?
we will see lots of 2 TE offenses this year, it will be the "new thing" thanks to the success of the patriots !

zam no one else trots out hernandez and Gronk. We'll see more two TE sets but the second TE won't have the athletic ability of Hernandez

Chef Zambini
06-21-2012, 09:20 AM
the jets built a star studded secondary. the pats countered with a 2 TE offense and rendered those sttar corners moot.
teams facing top notch corner tandems will do the same. a 2 TE offense offers the option to run or pass, and puts pressure on the D to match-up! WE will be showing alot of 2 TE ourselves, because it puts PM in the best position to dictate play !
I can assure you that all NFL teams will be working on a 2 TE formation with both TEs part of the passing equasion.
Not saying they will be as good as the pats, just saying we will be facing alot of it this season !
and if we cant match-up, we will see all the more !