PDA

View Full Version : Broncos renegotiate contract of Pro Bowler Wiegmann -- Merged

broncofaninfla
06-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Broncos renegotiate contract of Pro Bowler Wiegmann

By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 06/17/2009 11:21:54 AM MDT
Updated: 06/17/2009 11:22:03 AM MDT

At least one of the Broncos' Pro Bowl players will be in training camp next month.
Veteran center Casey Wiegmann (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Casey%20Wiegmann&searchTerm=Casey%20Wiegmann) agreed on Wednesday to a new two-year contract.
Wiegmann, 35, had been scheduled to make only the veteran minimum salary of $845,000 this season, and was considering retirement if he and the team could not work out a new contract more befitting a player who has started 127 consecutive games and made the Pro Bowl last season.
"We were working to try to prevent that," coach Josh McDaniels said. "They had patience, we had patience. We tried to make sure we did this the right way. We tried to do what is in the best interest of Casey and the Denver Broncos (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Denver%20Broncos&searchTerm=Denver%20Broncos)."
McDaniels said Wiegmann missed only one day of the team's offseason workout program — an excused absence to attend a family function.
"I can't say enough about the way he went through this process," McDaniels said. "We're very grateful."
McDaniels had no comment about his other Pro Bowl offensive star, receiver Brandon Marshall (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Brandon%20Marshall&searchTerm=Brandon%20Marshall), who has stayed away from Denver while pushing for a new contract. Marshall wrote on his personal blog Tuesday that he was ready for a change.

Thnikkaman
06-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Will delete me thead. :D

jrelway
06-17-2009, 12:39 PM
finally some decent news.

broncofaninfla
06-17-2009, 12:40 PM
I was just about to say delete mine as well! I think we posted at the same time! I'm happy we signed Casey! Finally some good news this week.

MadMax
06-17-2009, 12:40 PM
I think Casey owes Brandon Marshall a case beer for his new contract. :D

topscribe
06-17-2009, 12:44 PM

:dance:

-----

WARHORSE
06-17-2009, 01:04 PM
At least one of the Broncos' Pro Bowl players will be in training camp next month.
Veteran center Casey Wiegmann (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Casey%20Wiegmann&searchTerm=Casey%20Wiegmann) agreed on Wednesday to a new two-year contract.

From the Denver Post..........First good news in awhile. Woot!

Wiegmann, 35, had been scheduled to make only the veteran minimum salary of $845,000 this season, and was considering retirement if he and the team could not work out a new contract more befitting a player who has started 127 consecutive games and made the Pro Bowl last season.

"We were working to try to prevent that," coach Josh McDaniels said. "They had patience, we had patience. We tried to make sure we did this the right way. We tried to do what is in the best interest of Casey and the Denver Broncos (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Denver%20Broncos&searchTerm=Denver%20Broncos)."

McDaniels said Wiegmann missed only one day of the team's offseason workout program — an excused absence to attend a family function.
"I can't say enough about the way he went through this process," McDaniels said. "We're very grateful."

McDaniels had no comment about his other Pro Bowl offensive star, receiver Brandon Marshall (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Brandon%20Marshall&searchTerm=Brandon%20Marshall), who has stayed away from Denver while pushing for a new contract. Marshall wrote on his personal blog Tuesday that he was ready for a change.

NightTrainLayne
06-17-2009, 01:16 PM
So, now we can at least throw out the argument that McD is just plain stupid. :D

Or not. ..

Glad they worked this out. Wonder how much of a raise he's getting?

GEM
06-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Marshall....take notes...this is how a VETERAN does it.

Throw the ball back and forth until you reach a mutually beneficial agreement. Take your damn ball and go home.

topscribe
06-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Marshall....take notes...this is how a VETERAN does it.

Throw the ball back and forth until you reach a mutually beneficial agreement. Take your damn ball and go home.

Wow, did Brandon stand you up or something? http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thnervous.gif

:D

-----

GEM
06-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Wow, did Brandon stand you up or something? http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thnervous.gif

:D

-----

I wouldn't date the guy...I heard somewhere he likes to hit women.... BADUMBUMCHING. :shh:

rationalfan
06-17-2009, 01:53 PM
"They had patience, we had patience. We tried to make sure we did this the right way. We tried to do what is in the best interest of Casey and the Denver Broncos."

That's the key. Cutler and Marshall had no intentions of honoring the interest of the team.

WARHORSE
06-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Glad to have that offensive line intact.

Wiegmann is the cog in the wheel.

He needs to get on track with Orton and the protection calls.

topscribe
06-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Glad to have that offensive line intact.

Wiegmann is the cog in the wheel.

He needs to get on track with Orton and the protection calls.

Wiegmann's been there all along, hasn't he?

-----

BroncoWave
06-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Maybe this will end the "OMG McDaniels is an evil dictator who just wants to get rid of everyone who doesn't like their contract instead of trying to work it out with them" talk. I doubt it will, but one can hope.

LRtagger
06-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Damn why can't skill position players be more like offensive lineman.

GEM
06-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Damn why can't skill position players be more like offensive lineman.

Because then they couldn't be head cases.

Benetto
06-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Maybe this will end the "OMG McDaniels is an evil dictator who just wants to get rid of everyone who doesn't like their contract instead of trying to work it out with them" talk. I doubt it will, but one can hope.

Why should one care, what other people think? ;)

BroncoWave
06-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Why should one care, what other people think? ;)

Because I like to have intelligent sports conversations on here and it's somewhat hard when so many people hide behind the "OMG Josh McDaniels is the devil and is sabotaging our franchise" diatribe and blame everything down to the bad weather in Denver on him without even trying to look at it objectively.

frauschieze
06-17-2009, 04:58 PM
This is fantastic news and a great relief to me. It also shows other free agents that we will reward you if you play well and be fair about it. That is an even bigger relief.

BroncoWave
06-17-2009, 05:01 PM
This quote from McDaniels speaks volumes:

"The professionalism and leadership he showed throughout this process was outstanding. He was here every day working hard during our mini camps and conditioning program. Maintaining the continuity of our offensive line was a big priority for us, and we are very fortunate to have a Pro Bowl center like Casey Wiegmann as part of this organization."

People want to give him all the blame for the situations with Marshall and the quarterback but Casey showed that if you actually show up and act like a professional, McDaniels will more than happily work with you.

GEM
06-17-2009, 05:11 PM
This quote from McDaniels speaks volumes:

"The professionalism and leadership he showed throughout this process was outstanding. He was here every day working hard during our mini camps and conditioning program. Maintaining the continuity of our offensive line was a big priority for us, and we are very fortunate to have a Pro Bowl center like Casey Wiegmann as part of this organization."

People want to give him all the blame for the situations with Marshall and the quarterback but Casey showed that if you actually show up and act like a professional, McDaniels will more than happily work with you.

Oh but dontcha know....these head coaches are supposed to kiss ass and tuck tail.

horsepig
06-17-2009, 07:58 PM
This is indeed good news. Why have the Olines this guy has anchored over his career been some of the best around?

Think he might be one of those "winners"? I do.

pnbronco
06-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Wiegmann's been there all along, hasn't he?

-----

Yup Top he has. The article said that he only missed one day and it was excused. Also they mentioned on "The Fan" today that Casey had expressed he was unhappy with his current contract in public, but still showed up to work. I love the O-Line too. Gem you make smile...:D This is great news.

Dean
06-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Here are the new contract numbers for Wiegmann and he is deserving of them.

June 17th, 2009 ProFootBall Talk ProFootballTalk.com
Broncos Extend Wiegmann’s Deal
Posted by Aaron Wilson on June 17, 2009, 7:07 p.m. EDT
Denver Broncos veteran center Casey Wiegmann has signed a two-year, $4.7 million contract extension, according to Adam Caplan of Scout.com.

Per the report, Wiegmann’s base salary for this season increased from $1.145 million to $2.5 million.

And he received $3.6 million in new money with a $2.2 million base salary due in 2010.

Wiegmann, 35, is heading into his 14th NFL season and was named to the Pro Bowl for the first time last year.

Last season, the Broncos set a franchise record by surrendering just a dozen sacks.

“We are very excited that we were able to negotiate an extension for Casey Wiegmann,” Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said in a statement. “The professionalism and leadership he showed throughout this process was outstanding. He was here every day working hard during our minicamps and conditioning program.

“Maintaining the continuity of our offensive line was a big priority for us, and we are very fortunate to have a Pro Bowl center like Casey Wiegmann as part of this organization.”

© 2009, Football Talk, LLC. All Rights Reserved.