PDA

View Full Version : Would Marshall make a better Welker and Royal a better Moss?

lex
06-17-2009, 08:53 AM
OK, I know its kind of sketchy with Marshall right now but lets assume he is brought back into the fold this year. I often hear how Royal would make a great Welker and Marshall would make a good Randy Moss to make McDaniels offense work. Has anyone considered, since Royal is faster going by 40 times, he would make the better deep threat? Both are very good at the run after the catch. Marshall is too good at this some times. But he doesnt have the speed of Moss or even Royal.

Does anyone see this flipping?

Nomad
06-17-2009, 08:58 AM
If Marshall does play this year, he may be another Moss.....plays when wants and if doesn't feel like trying, he won't.

MasterShake
06-17-2009, 09:09 AM
OK, I know its kind of sketchy with Marshall right now but lets assume he is brought back into the fold this year. I often here how Royal would make a great Welker and Marshall would make a good Randy Moss to make McDaniels offense work. Has anyone considered, since Royal is faster going by 40 times, he would make the better deep threat? Both are very good at the run after the catch. Marshall is too good at this some times. But he doesnt have the speed of Moss or even Royal.

Does anyone see this flipping?

Its an interesting thought, but from what I saw of Welker he was a speedy little zig zagger that would run into congestion and make the secondary cross up each other and Moss would run outs and posts. It wasn't so much Moss' speed but his height and leaping that got him the big plays IIRC. When Brady did hit him is was usually a jump ball on the sideline and the play would net 30-60 yards but usually die on the spot of the catch. If he wasn't open he'd hit Welker who could turn a 3 yd turn and catch in 5+yds. It was a total pick you poison, and I can see Marshall and Royal replicating that to some degree. Switching the roles would be interesting though, but I don't think Orton could hit Royal in stride too deep, and a jumpball with little Eddie seems silly. :lol:

lex
06-17-2009, 09:12 AM
Its an interesting thought, but from what I saw of Welker he was a speedy little zig zagger that would run into congestion and make the secondary cross up each other and Moss would run outs and posts. It wasn't so much Moss' speed but his height and leaping that got him the big plays IIRC. When Brady did hit him is was usually a jump ball on the sideline and the play would net 30-60 yards but usually die on the spot of the catch. If he wasn't open he'd hit Welker who could turn a 3 yd turn and catch in 5+yds. It was a total pick you poison, and I can see Marshall and Royal replicating that to some degree. Switching the roles would be interesting though, but I don't think Orton could hit Royal in stride too deep, and a jumpball with little Eddie seems silly. :lol:

Thats a very good point but I would contend that it comes down to a jump ball for Moss because they are so respectful of his speed. In other words, the reason people are back to begin with is because of his speed. They cant do anything about his height but they can respond to his speed by having help back and keeping the play in front of them.

MasterShake
06-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Thats a very good point but I would contend that it comes down to a jump ball for Moss because they are so respectful of his speed. In other words, the reason people are back to begin with is because of his speed. They cant do anything about his height but they can respond to his speed by having help back and keeping the play in front of them.

But thats the only reason they were successful in NE then. Moss had defenders playing waay off him in a cushion and he'd make them pay. Even when Marshall was blanketed he could always use his height and athleticism to come down with the ball. Either way the play is usually covered by the defender coming off his cushion to make his tackle while Moss adjusted, or by the defender tackling Marshall right away in coverage. I think its a scratch, but if Marshall is healthy he could use his elusiveness to break a tackle and perhaps get some good YAC.

Sad thing is, I think Cutler in the offense could hit Marshall in stride on the post as Royal tore up the middle and instead of big 40+ yds plays to Marshall it could be TD's. Oh, what could have been! :salute:

We'll never know now, but dammit I need some faith this year! :lol:

lex
06-17-2009, 09:33 AM
But thats the only reason they were successful in NE then. Moss had defenders playing waay off him in a cushion and he'd make them pay. Even when Marshall was blanketed he could always use his height and athleticism to come down with the ball. Either way the play is usually covered by the defender coming off his cushion to make his tackle while Moss adjusted, or by the defender tackling Marshall right away in coverage. I think its a scratch, but if Marshall is healthy he could use his elusiveness to break a tackle and perhaps get some good YAC.

Sad thing is, I think Cutler in the offense could hit Marshall in stride on the post as Royal tore up the middle and instead of big 40+ yds plays to Marshall it could be TD's. Oh, what could have been! :salute:

We'll never know now, but dammit I need some faith this year! :lol:

No, I acknowledged your point on Moss' height as being totally valid. But I also think they have to respect him in a way that they dont have to as much with Marshall. But yeah, both Moss and Marshall bring the height element. Basically, Welker spreading the field horizontally helps spread the field in the jump ball scenarios. And vice versa. But it seems like you could also maybe use Royal deep.

MasterShake
06-17-2009, 09:38 AM
No, I acknowledged your point on Moss' height as being totally valid. But I also think they have to respect him in a way that they dont have to as much with Marshall. But yeah, both Moss and Marshall bring the height element. Basically, Welker spreading the field horizontally helps spread the field in the jump ball scenarios. And vice versa. But it seems like you could also maybe use Royal deep.

I think it would be a nice change-up to throw the defense off, but not a consistent thing. I'd love to see it either way though!

underrated29
06-17-2009, 09:46 AM
lex,

myself and one other guy, cant remember who it have been saying the same thing for a long time.

In my mind everyone sees the size of the WR and makes the comparisons, but eddie is our fast deep threat, brandon is the possession guy that breaks the tackles.

lex
06-17-2009, 10:00 AM
lex,

myself and one other guy, cant remember who it have been saying the same thing for a long time.

In my mind everyone sees the size of the WR and makes the comparisons, but eddie is our fast deep threat, brandon is the possession guy that breaks the tackles.

Well, kudos to you and the "one other guy" for that then. Youre right. People tend to see this kind of thing rigidly based on body type. People also tend to rigidly apply what will happen in Denver, will be exactly the same as what will happened in NE. I know Welker seems fast. He's really swervy and his feet move really fast...but that doesnt mean he actually is. If I had to guess I would say Royal is faster since he ran in the 4.3s. A good coach will try to utilize the strengths. If Royal is faster than Welker, then you might see Marshall and Royal utilized in both roles more evenly, which, in a way, might make the offense better in that its less predictable that Marshall is "the deep guy".

I think of all the tall WRs in the league, Marshall is probably the best at running with the ball in traffic. But like I said, its too good sometimes...but thats another topic.

CoachChaz
06-17-2009, 10:30 AM
I guess I just dont foresee too many deep balls actually happening in a McDaniels offense.

Northman
06-17-2009, 10:42 AM
I dont only because welker is fast and they use him in the slot. Moss is more of a possession and because of his height he becomes more valuable on deep patterns. Same would be for Marshall and Royal.

CoachChaz
06-17-2009, 10:46 AM
I dont only because welker is fast and they use him in the slot. Moss is more of a possession and because of his height he becomes more valuable on deep patterns. Same would be for Marshall and Royal.

Moss is actually ALOT faster than Welker, but Welker is crafty and finds the open spots. Brady has faith and trust in him and his routes are always going to be closer to the QB.

But, for those same reasons...I like Royal in the slot

MasterShake
06-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Well, kudos to you and the "one other guy" for that then. Youre right. People tend to see this kind of thing rigidly based on body type. People also tend to rigidly apply what will happen in Denver, will be exactly the same as what will happened in NE. I know Welker seems fast. He's really swervy and his feet move really fast...but that doesnt mean he actually is. If I had to guess I would say Royal is faster since he ran in the 4.3s. A good coach will try to utilize the strengths. If Royal is faster than Welker, then you might see Marshall and Royal utilized in both roles more evenly, which, in a way, might make the offense better in that its less predictable that Marshall is "the deep guy".

I think of all the tall WRs in the league, Marshall is probably the best at running with the ball in traffic. But like I said, its too good sometimes...but thats another topic.

I'm not saying it would happen just like NE, its just what makes sense to me based on what I've seen. Then again, if I knew anything I'd be in a coaches meeting right now instead of arguing on the internets! :lol:

underrated29
06-17-2009, 11:13 AM
question here....How many times did they send welker deep or on a go route?

I have no clue.

But i do remember hearing in one of the mini camp reports that kyle orton had just overthrown their fastest receiver in a go route--eddie royal.

horsepig
06-17-2009, 08:42 PM
If Marshall does play this year, he may be another Moss.....plays when wants and if doesn't feel like trying, he won't.

Damn, BB, AMEN! I love BM's game but, he gets frustated and starts a baby act.

horsepig
06-17-2009, 08:44 PM

Anybody remember Cliff Branch, an ex-Buff?

Requiem / The Dagda
06-17-2009, 08:44 PM
I see Kenny McKinley getting 1,000 yards easy and re-entering college football to be able to run for the Biletnikoff Award.

hotcarl
06-18-2009, 09:42 AM
no and you have to much free time