PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning's presnap maneuvers make him almost unsackable

Denver Native (Carol)
06-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Elvis Dumervil has chased, and caught, plenty of quarterbacks.

He has sacked scramblers, passers, young ones and not-so-young ones.

Asked to scroll through his NFL career and click on the most difficult quarterback to sack, Dumervil's answer came without hesitation.

"Peyton. Peyton and Tom Brady. But Peyton is just a little harder. Sometimes you rush at him, and you just feel like you have no chance because the ball is out and you feel like you barely got out of your stance."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20861842/peyton-mannings-presnap-maneuvers-make-him-almost-unsackable

BroncoWave
06-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Between that and how much the refs protect star QBs, I could not be less worried about his health and the big hits he may take.

Northman
06-15-2012, 01:33 PM
One of the big reasons why he will be the best QB in Denver in YEARS.

SoCalImport
06-15-2012, 06:54 PM
This is what I've been telling everyone that say Manning is one sack from being lost for the season or just focus on his neck surgery.
He's outstanding at NOT being hit. And as far as the O-Line goes, Clady will be back in pro-bowl form this year, protecting a righthanded pocket QB is exactly what he's built for (what all elite LTs are built for). Not to mention I seriously doubt that Manning would've chosen Denver if He had concerns about our ability to pass-protect.

BroncoWave
06-15-2012, 06:59 PM
This is what I've been telling everyone that say Manning is one sack from being lost for the season or just focus on his neck surgery.
He's outstanding at NOT being hit. And as far as the O-Line goes, Clady will be back in pro-bowl form this year, protecting a righthanded pocket QB is exactly what he's built for (what all elite LTs are built for). Not to mention I seriously doubt that Manning would've chosen Denver if He had concerns about our ability to pass-protect.

That and his "injury" is not one that can be aggravated by taking a big hit.

rationalfan
06-15-2012, 07:32 PM
You guys are making too much sense. Stop it. Please.

SoCalImport
06-15-2012, 09:03 PM

really? how's that? I hadn't heard that before.

BroncoWave
06-15-2012, 10:44 PM
really? how's that? I hadn't heard that before.

http://broncosreport.com/2012/06/01/setting-the-record-straight-peyton-mannings-neck-injury/

First of all, Manning’s “injury” is a misnomer. It’s more of a situation than an injury in the traditional sense. He didn’t get hurt. It wasn’t the result of a hit or even a series of hits over time. Manning didn’t dislocate, sprain, break, pull, tear, strain or tweak anything. The problem was never painful, and it still isn’t. Peyton Manning suffered from a degenerative nerve issue that was causing weakness in his arm. It could happen whether he played 13 years in the NFL or never picked up a football in his life. The neck just happens to be where the nerve is located, but it’s not a “neck injury” in the way most people imagine.

“His risk really is very low,” says Dr. Robert S. Bray Jr., who has worked with NHL star Sidney Crosby and whose DISC Sports & Spine Center provides medical services for the U.S. Olympic team.

The issue was never about a “neck injury” or being “one hit away” from anything (at least, no more than any other player in the NFL). It was simply a matter of losing arm strength and the process of gaining it back. The Colts couldn’t afford to wait. But for the Broncos, Broncos fans and Peyton Manning fans everywhere, the wait is almost over.

Broncfan1970
06-15-2012, 10:49 PM

really? how's that? I hadn't heard that before. its been in several articles where surgeons who specialize in surgury have said the fused area will be as good as anyone else in the league. The concern was nerve damage limiting throwing ability which doesn't seem to be the case.

SoCalImport
06-16-2012, 12:31 PM
surgeons who specialize in surgury

I'll go ahead and laugh with you:lol:

Broncfan1970
06-16-2012, 07:04 PM
surgeons who specialize in surgury

I'll go ahead and laugh with you:lol: lol yeah shoulda read surgeons who specialize in that particular type of surgury

Magnificent Seven
06-16-2012, 07:29 PM
One of the big reasons why he will be the best QB in Denver in YEARS.

I guess Peyton Manning would be 2nd best QB in Denver history? There is no way to get above John Elway.

OrangeHoof
06-16-2012, 07:48 PM
I've always wondered why teams don't just cheap-shot guys like Manning after the whistle? Certainly a team like the Raiders would be up for it. The recent Saints would have.

What happens/ A penalty? An ejection? A suspension? Would it be worth it to force Caleb Hanie into the game? Think about it.

SR
06-16-2012, 07:56 PM
I guess Peyton Manning would be 2nd best QB in Denver history? There is no way to get above John Elway.

Peyton is better than Elway, but he will never surpass Elway in Denver

HORSEPOWER 56
06-16-2012, 08:45 PM
I've always wondered why teams don't just cheap-shot guys like Manning after the whistle? Certainly a team like the Raiders would be up for it. The recent Saints would have.

What happens/ A penalty? An ejection? A suspension? Would it be worth it to force Caleb Hanie into the game? Think about it.

Starts with a penalty and the player is usually fined these days. Usually, the fine is pretty substantial and is probably more than the player's game check (depending on the player, of course). There's a reason that every team doesn't have a "goon" like they do in the NHL. It's because the players can't afford to pay the fines and because the teams can't pay the fines for them because the league would never allow it. It's no different than bounties, then. It may be "worth it" to try to put a guy like Manning out of a game for the opposing team, but it isn't for the player. Who really wants to "take one for the team", literally, and lose a game check or more in hopes that you might knock him out of the game?

iLands
06-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Between that and how much the refs protect star QBs, I could not be less worried about his health and the big hits he may take.

Exactly! Remember those facemask no-calls we saw last year? We won't see any of that again. You think they protect Brady? This will be on a whole other level.

vettesplus
06-16-2012, 10:35 PM

3 super bowl rings for payton and denver would put him side by side with elway in my mind

BroncoWave
06-16-2012, 11:56 PM

Completely agree. Only way he'd even come close to passing him in Denver would be if he won 3 rings here, which is needless to say highly unlikely.

Magnificent Seven
06-17-2012, 02:47 PM

I understand. However, John Elway was a mobile quarterback...

Carried 774 Times for 3,407 Yards and 33 Touchdowns. The only player to pass for 3,000 yards and rush for 200 yards in the same year for seven straight seasons (1985-91) Set the record for most rushing attempts by a quarterback with 687.

What if Elway was not a mobile quarterback? I am sure that his passing statistics would be way high than Marino, Montana, and P. Manning.

Peyton Mannnig can throw but can he run like Elway or Steve Young? So, I think Elway is best QB in Denver history.

SR
06-17-2012, 02:49 PM
None of that matters. Peyton Manning is a better QB than John Elway was, but like I said Manning won't surpass John Elway's legend in Denver.

Ravage!!!
06-17-2012, 05:16 PM
I don't think Peyton is better than Elway.. just as I don't think Marino was better than Elway. Peyton is a GREAT passer, and a great field General. That being said, he's not NEARLY the athlete that Elway was. He's not been good in the playoffs (where Elway was fantastic), and although has most of the passing records (much like Marino did).... Manning doesn't put the fear into at the end of the fourth like Elway did.

OrangeHoof
06-17-2012, 07:12 PM
If Elway and Manning were both eligible to be drafted in the same college draft, I would have selected Elway based on better mobility and arm strength although there's no way I would have been unhappy drafting second.

Magnificent Seven
06-18-2012, 01:05 AM
I don't think Peyton is better than Elway.. just as I don't think Marino was better than Elway. Peyton is a GREAT passer, and a great field General. That being said, he's not NEARLY the athlete that Elway was. He's not been good in the playoffs (where Elway was fantastic), and although has most of the passing records (much like Marino did).... Manning doesn't put the fear into at the end of the fourth like Elway did.

Exactly! Thank you!

Magnificent Seven
06-18-2012, 01:05 AM
If Elway and Manning were both eligible to be drafted in the same college draft, I would have selected Elway based on better mobility and arm strength although there's no way I would have been unhappy drafting second.

I agree! Salute!