PDA

View Full Version : Broncos this year, an outsiders opinion

max1856
06-16-2009, 11:51 PM
I'm from Philly, and I really thought the Broncos were in line for a great season back in February. As someone who places the occasional bet, I put a little on the Broncos to win the Superbowl in '09. I have been following their preseason with more than the usual interest I'd give to a team. From across the country, it looks like a team that was on the way towards improving after signing Buckhalter and Dawkins has gone straight downhill. Here's what I've seen:

-After a 2008 season that didn't pan out because the decent RB's on the Broncos had unfortunate injuries, the team signed a ton of RB's. After what seemed like a solid group of RB's was in place, they drafted one with the first pick. I think Moreno will be amazing, but he was projected to go lower. I thought Denver could have traded down then back up to grab him around 17, or somewhere before the Eagles...who most people projected to take Moreno.
-The Cutler fiasco.
-Giving up next year's 1st to move up in the 2nd round.
-Now, the Marshall mess.

What is the general feeling in the city? Are ticket holders mad as hell / not buying tickets this year? I didn't spend time joining the forum to start an internet war or anything with Broncos fans. I am legitimately rooting for the Broncos this year, and wonder what you guys think. From my point of view, McDaniels's first few months have been sickening to watch.

lex
06-16-2009, 11:58 PM
I'm from Philly, and I really thought the Broncos were in line for a great season back in February. As someone who places the occasional bet, I put a little on the Broncos to win the Superbowl in '09. I have been following their preseason with more than the usual interest I'd give to a team. From across the country, it looks like a team that was on the way towards improving after signing Buckhalter and Dawkins has gone straight downhill. Here's what I've seen:

-After a 2008 that didn't pan out because the decent RB's on the Broncos had unfortunate injuries, the team signed lots of RB's, then drafted one with the first pick.
-The Cutler fiasco.
-Now, the Marshall mess.

What is the general feeling in the city? Are ticket holders mad as hell / not buying tickets this year? I didn't spend time joining the forum to start an internet war or anything with Broncos fans. I am legitimately rooting for the Broncos this year, and wonder what you guys think.

Its a heavy mixture, especially now with the Marshall thing.

NameUsedBefore
06-17-2009, 02:04 AM
I'm vomiting uncontrollably.

BroncoTech
06-17-2009, 03:05 AM
openly sobbing

SoCalImport
06-17-2009, 03:51 AM
Upset to find out just how big a baby Cutty is (although there were hints).
Upset to see B.Marsh exposed as a Me, me, gimme, gimme player, and a dope besides (although there were hints).

Stoked about the draft. Upset that we don't have a clear cut starting NT.
Excited as all hell to see what these Broncos can do!!

GO BRONCOS!!

Nature Boy
06-17-2009, 05:38 AM
On top of all that, Jack Elway, son of John Elway has given up on football. Jack Elway will no longer play for Arizona St. and likely will never play again in competition at a high level. I had him penciled in as a Bronco after the 2012 draft. :shocked:

I blame Jack Elway's departure from football on Pat Bowlen and especially on Josh McDummass as well. :D

Dirk
06-17-2009, 05:44 AM
Hi Max and welcome to the boards! :welcome:

As far as I'm concerned, I am just sickened.

I am being optimistic that the Broncos will bounce back from all the off season mess that has happened. That's the fan in me!

But I am still sickened by the ignorance of the things that have gone down.

All I want are players on the team that want to be in Denver and give their all to make the team better and win. Even if they don't. It's all about the love of the Broncos for me. :salute:

SoCalImport
06-17-2009, 06:42 AM
On top of all that, Jack Elway, son of John Elway has given up on football. Jack Elway will no longer play for Arizona St. any longer and likely will never play again in competition at a high level. I had him penciled in as a Bronco after the 2012 draft. :shocked:

I blame Jack Elway's departure from football on Pat Bowlen and especially on Josh McDummass as well. :D

I sprained my wrist last week, stubbed my toe yesterday. Add that to this lame world wide recession thing and i can't see why McDaniels still has a job!:rolleyes:

In-com-plete
06-17-2009, 07:42 AM

-After a 2008 season that didn't pan out because the decent RB's on the Broncos had unfortunate injuries, the team signed a ton of RB's. After what seemed like a solid group of RB's was in place, they drafted one with the first pick. I think Moreno will be amazing, but he was projected to go lower. I thought Denver could have traded down then back up to grab him around 17, or somewhere before the Eagles...who most people projected to take Moreno.
-The Cutler fiasco.
-Now, the Marshall mess.

What is the general feeling in the city? Are ticket holders mad as hell / not buying tickets this year? I didn't spend time joining the forum to start an internet war or anything with Broncos fans. I am legitimately rooting for the Broncos this year, and wonder what you guys think. From my point of view, McDaniels's first few months have been sickening to watch.

Try being a Broncos fan. I'm not even looking forward to the start of the season. For the first time in 24 years, I'm dreading watching this team.

Here's hoping we win 6 games. :beer:

Tned
06-17-2009, 08:12 AM
Try being a Broncos fan. I'm not even looking forward to the start of the season. For the first time in 24 years, I'm dreading watching this team.

Here's hoping we win 6 games. :beer:

Ahh, come on, playing the NFC East, NE, Indy, the AFC North. How can you not get excited about that easy schedule we are gong to face. ;)

MadMax
06-17-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm still excited. I don't know if we drafted Moreno too high, I think San diego was going to draft him with their pick if he was still available and that was supposedly the other half of why we drafted him. General feeling amongst fans? I'm staying excited, I'm not going to let this crap ruin my year, but its hard not to be concerned.

LRtagger
06-17-2009, 09:00 AM
doom and gloom rantrantrant

Nomad
06-17-2009, 09:04 AM
I'm still excited. I don't know if we drafted Moreno too high, I think San diego was going to draft him with their pick if he was still available and that was supposedly the other half of why we drafted him. General feeling amongst fans? I'm staying excited, I'm not going to let this crap ruin my year, but its hard not to be concerned.

By the time the dog days in July get here and scorching heat of Aug, I'll be ready for fall and some football (youth(my sons), college, and pro) and colder temps. I've never been an offseason fan because there's not a damn thing I can do about it so why get all wound up. I'll wait and see the product on the field and hope for the best. If Moreno plays like he did in college, he'll be worth the pick.

Grover
06-17-2009, 09:12 AM
We've got an owner that might be in the early stages of Alzheimer's Disease.
We've got a General Manager (Xanders) who has become invisible.
We've got a head coach with the people skills of Hanibal Lector (Movie reference - Silence of the Lambs)

Other than that, things are just ducky in Bronco land.

My best case scenario for the team going into the 2009 season is that we will be less talented, but we will play harder and more organized football. It's a tough schedule, difficult competition, and I see us going 6-10 in what is obviously a rebuilding year.

If Xanders can grow some cojones and McDaniels can shrink his, then we might do something in 2-3 years from now.

Northman
06-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Until i can see how the team performs overall this year its hard to say right now. My biggest expectation is too see better teamwork, better discipline on the field, and better production from the players overall. Obviously, im expecting at least 9 wins this year as im holding McDaniels totally responsible for dismantling a team that (on paper) didnt need much work. But he wants to do it his way so im cool with that as long as we win. If we fail miserably or show no improvement whatsoever than im wont have very many flattering things to say about him at season's end.

Dortoh
06-17-2009, 10:05 AM
McD is the devil

scott.475
06-17-2009, 10:15 AM
McD is the GREATEST COACH EVER!

I am going to keep telling myself until I actually believe it, which may be a long time. I have absolutely no concerns about the GREATEST COACH OF ALL TIME even though EVERY OTHER COACH from the Belicheck coaching tree has been a failure. /sarcasm off

underrated29
06-17-2009, 11:35 AM
well despite what a lot of the outside people thought many of us, myslef included were crossing our fingers that we would draft moreno.

We were right and it was an ideal place to take him. He is the best RB in the draft. Just like when AP came out, do you think he really would have made it to 7 if the above teams didnt need a RB.

Or the year, ronnie brown and benson and caddy went 3 and 4 overall to miami and bears, they imo are not anywhere nearly as good as AP or MORENO who were both drafted well after the above were..(Overall position wise i mean, obviously different years.)

So i am stoked about that. But as far as the Jay mess, and the marshall mess. I am pissed and hate what has happened here.

As for the 1st for the 2nd rd corner, i am not a fan of the move, but the kid we drafted is doing well and he might just be a pretty lights out player. Still i wouldnt have done it but.........

This is probably the worst offseason ever! Aside from ayers and moreno i could really become a lions fan.

Superchop 7
06-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Dumbest moves in NFL history.

D1g1tal j1m
06-18-2009, 02:38 PM
I'm still drinking the Kool Aid but now have added much need Patron.

girler
06-18-2009, 02:48 PM
There is a looming haze of sporting sadness hovering over the city. The Nuggets cleared a bit of it away, but the damn Lakers brought nasty tornadoes and stirred it all up again. The Avalanche is trying to follow the Broncos lead...

Basically there is a general depression all over the city. No enthusiasm, no bubbling hope- just the stupid human idea that greatness can come from nothing. Of course, that has happened in the past...

We still wear our blue and orange with pride and try to believe in fairy tales and hope the handsome prince on the white steed at Mile High Stadium will actually turn out to know what he's doing. But we're watching with our eyes wide shut. :ahhhhh:

Magnificent Seven
06-18-2009, 03:06 PM
Marshall sucks, anyway. He didn't do well in pro bowl. Trade Marshall for either better WR or Devin Hester. Hester could be punt returner, WR, and RB. They could use him on offense.

However, I am not going to depend on Broncos' offense. I am going to focus and depend on Broncos' defense because I believe in Mike Nolan's system.

nevcraw
06-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Marshall sucks, anyway. He didn't do well in pro bowl. Trade Marshall for either better WR or Devin Hester. Hester could be punt returner, WR, and RB. They could use him on offense.

However, I am not going to depend on Broncos' offense. I am going to focus and depend on Broncos' defense because I believe in Mike Nolan's system.

Because that means something?

and what exactly is Mike Nolan's system? The 49'ers D the last couple years? or the inheritted Defense he got from Marvin Lewis?

Dean
06-18-2009, 04:13 PM

I thought that he played very well on a hip requiring surgery. How should he have played? Oh, that's right, he actually shouldn't have been playing on it.

Nature Boy
06-18-2009, 04:43 PM

Devin Hester Receiving Stats for 2008
Year Team G Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st FUM
2008 Chicago Bears 15 51 665 13.0 44.3 65T 3 9 1 29 1

Do you really believe Hester is a better WR than Marshall?

Hester was drafted to be a corner and he sucks at that. He's a good punt/kick returner but not a great WR and an even lousier DB.

Lonestar
06-18-2009, 04:44 PM
I thought that he played very well on a hip requiring surgery. How should he have played? Oh, that's right, he actually shouldn't have been playing on it.

which then brings up another point altogether if it was that bad why was he playing.. Many voted in do not go because of injuries..

sounds to me that BM was not hurt all that bad, til it was time for practice and contract talks.. .. guess mike made him go because he'd be a sissy if he did not play in that one also..

Hmmmmm hipocrisy anyone..

Nature Boy
06-18-2009, 04:49 PM
which then brings up another point altogether if it was that bad why was he playing.. Many voted in do not go because of injuries..

sounds to me that BM was not hurt all that bad, til it was time for practice and contract talks.. .. guess mike made him go because he'd be a sissy if he did not play in that one also..

Yea, he wasn't hurt that bad, he just only needed surgery. I would think that your hip is very important for a person that has to run a lot.

These are world class athletes and they have to be 100% or better to out do the other guy guarding them.

You're reticule of Shanny, Cutler, Marshall and blind support of McDummass is getting ridiculous. You might wanna lighten up on the vodka you're dumping into your Bowlen/McDummass cool aid.

pnbronco
06-18-2009, 05:30 PM
I have been a fan for a lot of years. In fact I've gone to training camp for over 15 years straight and this was the first Fan Fair I've missed since the 1st one. I was working out of town and let me tell you it was tough. So I can see where it looks like the suicide hot line would be working over time, but not for me. When I look at the team posters from year to year it's amazing how much of a turn over there is every years let along every 3 years, only a hand full players are around for longer than 3 years so it is a team sport and I am a fan of The Broncos and of course I have my favorite players.

On paper we might as well stay home this season. On paper the Red Wings should of won the Cup, but THEY DIDN'T!!! :elefant: I'm sorry but that makes me sooo happy. The Wings were the better team but the Pens had heart and didn't listen to the experts. No one can measure the heart of any person or their desire to be the best at what their skill is and we have not seen how any of cogs in this new wheel will act and react.

I have spent a lot of time with Karl Mecklenburg and have seen this man work ethics up close and personal. He is a force in everything he does because nothing was handed to him and I mean nothing. He should have never been in the draft and today would not have been but he will out work almost everyone around him and it shows even today. I feel the same way about Rod Smith.

I course I would love to have Cutler's and Marshall's skills on our team, they have some real gifts. What I have not seen is heart, that fire in the eyes that tells you "I'm going to prove you sooo wrong". So I'm willing to wait and see and I'm really looking forward to camp and will have my program with me to learn all the new names.

horsepig
06-18-2009, 06:47 PM
I'm trying to stay optimistic, but it is starting to feel like an expansion team around here.

Dean
06-18-2009, 09:58 PM

You might want to go back and check the weekly NFL injury reports for last year. Each week from week 12 on he is listed as probable (hip). The staff misdiagnosed the injury and sent him back on the field. Sounds a little like Rod Smith doesn't it?

He had a minimum of 5 games and possibly more playing on an injured hip. IMO it explains his difficulty getting seperation late in the year.

BigAL56
06-19-2009, 12:45 AM
We trades away 2 of our three pro bowl guys. Marshall the past two seasons is second in pretty much every category. He tried to do too much last year (hence the drops), but he was a monster, and everyone (except for a few broncos fans who are turning on them) knows what he brings to the table. Marshall played with a fire in his eyes. It's simple, he wants more money and a better team...who wouldn't? He is probably going to get it.

My opinion? Broncos win 3 this year. 1 against KC, 1 against Oakland, and 1 lucky one against someone else. After that, Champ will want out, Clady will want out, DJ will want out, and Dawkins will want out. Once they see that this team is going nowhere fast and is void of talent, they are going to want to go somewhere where they can get paid well and have a shot at winning a championship.

I think we have committed to the next 5-8 years below 5 win seasons. The few good players we do have aren't going to want to stick around, and it's going to be hard to convince good free agents to come in once our teams starts to suck

NightTrainLayne
06-19-2009, 09:34 AM
We trades away 2 of our three pro bowl guys. Marshall the past two seasons is second in pretty much every category. He tried to do too much last year (hence the drops), but he was a monster, and everyone (except for a few broncos fans who are turning on them) knows what he brings to the table. Marshall played with a fire in his eyes. It's simple, he wants more money and a better team...who wouldn't? He is probably going to get it.

My opinion? Broncos win 3 this year. 1 against KC, 1 against Oakland, and 1 lucky one against someone else. After that, Champ will want out, Clady will want out, DJ will want out, and Dawkins will want out. Once they see that this team is going nowhere fast and is void of talent, they are going to want to go somewhere where they can get paid well and have a shot at winning a championship.

I think we have committed to the next 5-8 years below 5 win seasons. The few good players we do have aren't going to want to stick around, and it's going to be hard to convince good free agents to come in once our teams starts to suck

Good Lord! It's not that bad.

I've said many times before the Marshall situation came up that we are more likely to win 9 or more games than we are to win less than 5. In reality I think we finish somewhere around .500, but we're not that bad, and certainly haven't doomed ourselves for the next "5-8 years".

Relax, the season's still a few months away, and we haven't even played one game yet. We're going to be alright.

LRtagger
06-19-2009, 10:18 AM
You might want to go back and check the weekly NFL injury reports for last year. Each week from week 12 on he is listed as probable (hip). The staff misdiagnosed the injury and sent him back on the field. Sounds a little like Rod Smith doesn't it?

He had a minimum of 5 games and possibly more playing on an injured hip. IMO it explains his difficulty getting seperation late in the year.

I think JR was specifically referencing the Pro Bowl. Most players who are injured opt out of playing in the game even if they are selected.

Tned
06-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Good Lord! It's not that bad.

I've said many times before the Marshall situation came up that we are more likely to win 9 or more games than we are to win less than 5. In reality I think we finish somewhere around .500, but we're not that bad, and certainly haven't doomed ourselves for the next "5-8 years".

Relax, the season's still a few months away, and we haven't even played one game yet. We're going to be alright.

I definately agree that we have done nothing to doom ourselves for 5-8 years.

I am usually pretty bullish when it comes to predicting our record, but that his been based on some historical data, such as how few losing seasons Shanahan had, his ability to turn over the roster without low, single digit win seasons, etc.

While it appears to be a major position downgrade at QB (I say appears, becuase the reality is that we have not seen either Orton or Cutler run McDaniel's offense, so from that standpoint we can't say with certainty how big, if at all, the drop off will be) and a potential MAJOR drop off at WR1 and WR2 if Marshall is gone (both, because of domino effect, where Royal moving to WR1 is a drop off, and who ever takes over WR2 will be a drop off from Royal), these two roster moves alone will not doom us to 5-8 years of single digit, losing seasons.

I still believe the defense, and whether or not they have made enough moves (FA, draft and scheme/coaching changes) to move to middle of the pack in defensive performance, will be the biggest determining factor about how well the Broncos do this year, not Cutler being gone (although the addition of Marshall, because of the domino effect at WR, will possibly be a bigger hit to the offense).

The other major issue about next year, is the schedule. The Broncos schedule in '09 is just brutal. We have to face the NFC east, plus AFC North, plus Indy, plus NE. That is not a cream puff schedule.

So, it is hard to be excited about a winning, or playoff caliber, season in '09, but that doesn't mean we are doomed for a decade.

Let's face it, if McDaniels has two or three sub six win seasons, he is almost certainly gone, that's the life of a head coach in the NFL. Most of them are gone in 2-3 years. If we have a couple bad years, while we gave away next years pick, we would get a couple more high draft picks in '11 and '12, which would allow for impact players to be drafted, etc.

So, while it is 'possible' that the Broncos could enter an extended period of bad season after bad season, if it happens, it will have NOTHING to do with the off season moves this year, but will be a result of finding out that McDaniels wasn't ready to be a head coach and made 'all the wrong moves'.

Dortoh
06-19-2009, 10:37 AM

While I dont think it is quite that bad we are in for a few lean years as far as wins go.

I honestly feel bad for guys like Dawkins/Champ and to some extent DJ

Dawkins and Champ are watching this team implode and DJ has been flat out jacked around his whole time here. Yet he has never complained about being moved around the field from year to year.

Dean
06-19-2009, 11:12 AM
I definately agree that we have done nothing to doom ourselves for 5-8 years.

I agree that the 5-8 years is an overstatement unless the more talented players choose to jump ship.

I am usually pretty bullish when it comes to predicting our record, but that his been based on some historical data, such as how few losing seasons Shanahan had, his ability to turn over the roster without low, single digit win seasons, etc.

I am in the same boat. Normally, I overvalue the positive elements on the team. I share your evaluation of Mike as well.

While it appears to be a major position downgrade at QB (I say appears, becuase the reality is that we have not seen either Orton or Cutler run McDaniel's offense, so from that standpoint we can't say with certainty how big, if at all, the drop off will be) and a potential MAJOR drop off at WR1 and WR2 if Marshall is gone (both, because of domino effect, where Royal moving to WR1 is a drop off, and who ever takes over WR2 will be a drop off from Royal), these two roster moves alone will not doom us to 5-8 years of single digit, losing seasons.

In terms of being able to make the throws an NFL QB has to make, it is a downgrade. In terms of athleticism, it is a downgrade.

I still believe the defense, and whether or not they have made enough moves (FA, draft and scheme/coaching changes) to move to middle of the pack in defensive performance, will be the biggest determining factor about how well the Broncos do this year, not Cutler being gone (although the addition of Marshall, because of the domino effect at WR, will possibly be a bigger hit to the offense).

I keep looking but I don't see the most important part of the 3-4 defense. I don't see a nose tackle that can keep the LBs clean to control the run game. To me this means that the offense must be explosive enough to put us in the lead. This forces the opposition to abandone the run game. Without our 2 best offensive weapons, that is now more difficult.

The other major issue about next year, is the schedule. The Broncos schedule in '09 is just brutal. We have to face the NFC east, plus AFC North, plus Indy, plus NE. That is not a cream puff schedule.

So, it is hard to be excited about a winning, or playoff caliber, season in '09, but that doesn't mean we are doomed for a decade.

Exactly right. The question remains how much this will affect 2010.

Let's face it, if McDaniels has two or three sub six win seasons, he is almost certainly gone, that's the life of a head coach in the NFL. Most of them are gone in 2-3 years. If we have a couple bad years, while we gave away next years pick, we would get a couple more high draft picks in '11 and '12, which would allow for impact players to be drafted, etc.

So, while it is 'possible' that the Broncos could enter an extended period of bad season after bad season, if it happens, it will have NOTHING to do with the off season moves this year, but will be a result of finding out that McDaniels wasn't ready to be a head coach and made 'all the wrong moves'.

I don't understand your logic that that this year's draft, the lost of 2 very talented players, the acquisition of several rather old players, and the inattention given the D-line will have no future effect? These are IMO exactly what determines whether he is ready or not as much as the plays he calls on Sundays.

Tned
06-19-2009, 12:31 PM
I keep looking but I don't see the most important part of the 3-4 defense. I don't see a nose tackle that can keep the LBs clean to control the run game. To me this means that the offense must be explosive enough to put us in the lead. This forces the opposition to abandone the run game. Without our 2 best offensive weapons, that is now more difficult.

I'm taking a wait and see outlook on the 3-4. I think if Doom/Ayers/Crowder/Moss can make the conversion to OLB, whether as three down players, or in a rotation fashion, then it really comes down to the front three, and of those the NT is one of the keys.

I don't know enough about Fields, and I think all of our reactions are "he was a backup on Nolan's last defense where Nolan got fired". However, the flip side is that Rotoworld's comment when the Broncos signed Fields was that the rest of the league missed the boat by not signing him. So, until we see him, McBean and Peterson on the line, I don't think we will know what we have.

I see upgrades in the secondary, I see the 'potential' for a solid LB crew, but I have 'zero' feeling for where we stand on the front three.

I don't understand your logic that that this year's draft, the lost of 2 very talented players, the acquisition of several rather old players, and the inattention given the D-line will have no future effect? These are IMO exactly what determines whether he is ready or not as much as the plays he calls on Sundays.

Ok, let me expand. First, there is no doubt that losing a 'franchise' QB that all of us thought would be leading the Broncos for the next 10+ years is a huge blow. However, what I meant was even with him being traded, and even if McDaniels completely blew the draft, and is fired in two years, it doesn't in and of itself doom us for 5-8 years. Plenty of teams lose QBs to injury, retirement, etc. and come back strong in a year or two, or don't skip a beat and go to the playoffs with another QB.

If McDaniels is 'capable' of creating New England West, where he implements plug and play offensive and defensive schemes, where the scheme is more important than the players, then someone like Orton, or a FA QB we pickup next year, could be very successful.

Also, if McDaniels doesn't get it done and is fired after two years, the next head coach could turn things around in a short period of time. We still have a lot of talent on offense, especially if Moreno turns out to be a stud, so the next head coach that comes in might only be looking for a capable QB in the draft or FA.

Finally, if McDaniels really screws the pooch, and we win something like a total of 6 or 7 games the next two years, that means while we will not benefit next year (traded the pick), the next year we will have a high draft pick, where the new head coach could grab a QB or other impact players, helping to 'bounce' the team back.

There are many factors, but I just don't see any moves, no matter how questionable, being capable of impacting the team for 5-8 years, considering during that time, most of the roster will turn over just based on average career length in the NFL.