PDA

View Full Version : Cutler's Quick Pass Attack Shows Best Way to Beat Steelers

omac
10-26-2007, 08:18 AM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/25/broncos-show-way-to-beat-steelers/

Cutler's Quick Pass Attack Shows Best Way to Beat Steelers
Posted Oct 25th 2007 6:49PM by JJ Cooper
Filed under: Broncos, Steelers, AFC North, Pittsburgh

I've seen a lot of complaining about the Steelers pass rush against the Broncos, but after rewatching the game, it's hard to blame the blitz packages or the players for failing to provide heat on Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler. Cutler and the Broncos did a great job of getting rid of the ball quick enough to negate whatever blitz packages **** LeBeau wanted to draw up.

The Steelers could take a lesson from Cutler and the Broncos. Where Ben Roethlisberger drops back and holds on to the ball while checking through multiple reads, Cutler has clearly been coached to take his drop and have the ball coming out of his hand as he gets set in the pocket. As a general rule, if the quarterback gets rid of the ball in three seconds or less, the offensive line should be able to give him time to throw. Once you get past three seconds, unless it's a rollout or a max protect play call, the quarterback is starting to get into the danger zone and should have an alarm clock going off in his head that before long he's going to get his bell rung.

On Sunday, Cutler held the ball for more than three seconds or more on only five pass plays. On two of the plays where he held the ball longer, the Broncos went max protect, so Cutler had time to pick out a receiver deep. On one of the plays, LaMarr Woodley sacked Cutler, and on the other two, play/action rollouts meant he was a moving target.

Overall by my count the Steelers picked up hurries on three plays in addition to their two sacks. Nick Eason got in Cutler's face on an incomplete pass in the first quarter, Larry Foote got in Cutler's grill on a rollout and James Farrior forced Cutler to tuck and run in the third quarter. The Steelers pass rush needs to do better, but it wasn't all their fault.

There were nine plays where Cutler got the ball out of his hand in less than two seconds. And if a QB gets rid of the ball in less than two seconds it doesn't matter if you're Lawrence Taylor, you're not going to pick up many sacks. On the final game-winning drive, Cutler's completed passes came on plays where he got rid of the ball in 1.8, 1.5, 1.4 and 1.6 seconds. The Steelers sent at least five pass-rushers on every one of those plays, but it just played into the Broncos hands--if Cutler is going to get rid of the ball that quickly no complicated delayed blitz is going to give him any trouble.

Now why was Cutler able to get rid of the ball so quickly? The Steelers secondary does not play a lot of bump-and-run, instead they corners play off the ball, as much 10 yards off the receiver, which allows receivers to release free and come open for quick slants. After finding a tight end over the middle on the first pass of the game-winning drive, the final four complete passes all came as the receiver fired off the line on a clean release, then ran a simple slant in, turned around and caught the pass. The Steelers could not have made Cutler's job any easier if they had tried.

It's a formula that works well against Pittsburgh--if you have an accurate quarterback who can get rid of the ball quickly, Pittsburgh's going to have plenty of problems. Denver did on Sunday, and Pittsburgh paid for it.

In case you're wondering for the sake of comparison of the four sacks the Steelers gave up, one was at 2.23 seconds (when Elvis Dumervil split Alan Faneca and Marvel Smith for a quick sack), another was at 3.0 seconds (when Kendall Simmons was beaten), another at 3.16 seconds (Marvel Smith beaten) and 4.06 seconds (when Simmons was beaten again). The Steelers offensive line is bad, but Roethlisberger's tendency to hold onto the ball and trust his ability to escape pass rushers doesn't always do them a whole lot of favors either.

Skinny
10-26-2007, 08:29 AM
Good article omac thanks. I agree with Jay doing a great job of getting rid of the ball and quickly, but the credit should got to the O-line IMO. They were outstanding and stepped up with the absence of Nalen. Jay had plenty of time most of the game and the size of the 'pocket' that was created for Jay to step into his throws were very impressive. But yea, Jay was on like popcorn. . .

topscribe
10-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Good find, Omac. Thanks.

I remember one AFC championship where that same team did the same thing to the Broncos.

It feels good to turn the tables, doesn't it? :nixon:

-----

omac
10-26-2007, 01:06 PM
You're all welcome. :)

What's cool with Cutler is he learns things pretty quick. It was only late last season where one of the knocks against him was that he held on to the ball too long, and now, he gets rid of it extremely quick. A few people thought the fumbled snaps would continue to be an issue, and that's gone away too. He's also learned to check down, and has improved his footwork. It's amazing how fast he picks things up. He doesn't play like a quarterback who's only had 11 games under his belt.

The other great thing is how well Shanny prepares for his opponents. As the article mentioned, Shanny offensively exploited a weakness in the coverage design of his widereceivers by Pittsburgh's corners. Now, Pittsburgh will have to fix that, as a lot of teams follow Shanny's lead. We've seen it in the zoneblocking, we've seen it in the fieldgoal timeouts. Expect some teams to similarly use those quick slants against them. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few teams to copy some of the strategy that enabled Denver to penetrate the front line of Pittsburgh and tackle their rushers for little or negative gain. The strategy used for our run defense against them is seriously being underestimated by a lot of people.

Lucky for NE we didn't face them after our bye, or there goes their undefeated season .... hehehe, just kidding. :D

Lonestar
10-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Good read thanks for the info..

Hey folks we had two weeks to prepare for PIT both offensively and defensively.

Lets see how they react this week and then again after a short week and having to travel to DET the following one.

Just might not be the same thing we saw last week..

TXBRONC
10-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the read omac.

Something I found interesting is the fact the Steelers corners play off the receivers up to about 10 yards. I remember Foxworth getting crucified for playing off of wide receivers.

gobroncsnv
10-27-2007, 12:53 PM
This reminds me of reading about the Rams when they had Jim Everett (Chrissy?) at QB, and Ernie Zampese was the OC or QB coach... in practice, Zampese would be in the backfield watching, and as soon as Everett dropped back, Ernie would be yelling, "get rid of it! Get RID OF IT!".
This kind of attack doesn't make for much in long completions, but combined with the CB's playing off the LOS, it's a ready made defense for working the field with 7-10 yard completions, and rolling down the field. If you are hitting the receivers in stride, they'll easily get 15 yards a pop.
Jay had a few bummer moments last week, but by and large, he looked ready-made for this kind of attack. This game was really good for his growth.

broncosfanscott
10-27-2007, 07:38 PM
Good read omac, thanks.

That was one thing I was happy to see. The o-line provided the protection Cutler needed to make his quick throws. He stood back there and just picked off their secondary.

Nice job on the sack times. This just shows you that if you don't get rid of the ball quick and don't take off running bad things will happen. Cutler showed what you do when he took off on that big run early in the game.

Lonestar
10-27-2007, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the read omac.

Something I found interesting is the fact the Steelers corners play off the receivers up to about 10 yards. I remember Foxworth getting crucified for playing off of wide receivers.

They play off becuase they cann Much like Champ and Bly do, does that mean foxworth can and not get thrown on?

We all know the answer to that and I made that point clear in another thread.

BANJOPICKER1
10-27-2007, 07:47 PM
They play off becuase they cann Much like Champ and Bly do, does that mean foxworth can and not get thrown on?

I am not sure what you said here but I think my choice of 4 beers for Saturday was a great choice!!I think??:D

What Happon??

GOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!

TXBRONC
10-27-2007, 07:58 PM

Ah no, because that's tantamount to saying the Steelers corners are as good as Champ and that would be false.

They playoff for two reasons from what I understand.

1.) The Steelers corners are not very good at man to man coverage.

2.) The Steelers bank on getting pressure from their front seven.

Lonestar
10-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Ah no, because that's tantamount to saying the Steelers corners are as good as Champ and that would be false.

They playoff for two reasons from what I understand.

1.) The Steelers corners are not very good at man to man coverage.

2.) The Steelers bank on getting pressure from their front seven.

Against Javon and Marshall they are not against Marshall and whoever was over there on occasion they are much better.

They did not get the pressure for what ever reason. They completed alot of passes on our vaunted pass defense..

As did we on their top defense, we threw them a change up and they took awhile to figure it out.. Rookie coach and all. Do not expect that to continue the rest of the year..

TXBRONC
10-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Against Javon and Marshall they are not against Marshall and whoever was over there on occasion they are much better.

They did not get the pressure for what ever reason. They completed alot of passes on our vaunted pass defense..

As did we on their top defense, we threw them a change up and they took awhile to figure it out.. Rookie coach and all. Do not expect that to continue the rest of the year..

Jr that's apparently apart of the Steelers defensive philosophy because that is what their corners did all night long even though we are depleted at wide receiver that is still what they did.

That change up they threw the Steelers is called a game plan, you do that week to week to keep opponents off balance.

It should be apparent by now why they were not able to get pressure on Cutler. They got out played period. I don't what game you watched but the Steelers never never caught up to what our offense was doing. Cutler marched the offense right down the field for the winning score and that was with only a minute and ten seconds left on the clock.

So you're saying we won because Tomlin is a rookie head coach? Come on Jr that is a bit silly. First, its veteran team on both sides of the ball. Second they have the same defensive coordinator that they had last year.

Please save your breath on trying to tell what to think.

rcsodak
10-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Jr that's apparently apart of the Steelers defensive philosophy because that is what their corners did all night long even though we are depleted at wide receiver that is still what they did.

That change up they threw the Steelers is called a game plan, you do that week to week to keep opponents off balance.

It should be apparent by now why they were not able to get pressure on Cutler. They got out played period. I don't what game you watched but the Steelers never never caught up to what our offense was doing. Cutler marched the offense right down the field for the winning score and that was with only a minute and ten seconds left on the clock.

So you're saying we won because Tomlin is a rookie head coach? Come on Jr that is a bit silly. First, its veteran team on both sides of the ball. Second they have the same defensive coordinator that they had last year.

Please save your breath on trying to tell what to think.

I'd say having a rookie HC is TANTAMOUNT to that game's result, TX. Do you actually think "chin" would have started out the game by passing, and continued that plan into almost half-time?

I don't.

Pitt will lose more games than they win, if roeth passes more than 25-30 times a game. They are a running team.

Tomlin lost that game before they even stepped onto the field, imo.

TXBRONC
10-28-2007, 02:41 PM
I'd say having a rookie HC is TANTAMOUNT to that game's result, TX. Do you actually think "chin" would have started out the game by passing, and continued that plan into almost half-time?

I don't.

Pitt will lose more games than they win, if roeth passes more than 25-30 times a game. They are a running team.

Yea considering that arguably the best corner in the League was out of the game and our defense put eight in the box. I'll bet Cowher would have opened up passing the ball.

Lonestar
10-28-2007, 05:02 PM

I don't.

Here are a few comments from teh steelers forum.

Coming off a bye week it is unexcusable for any team to play as poorly as did the Steelers. It was much talked about when Coach T had the Steelers practicing a few days of the bye week and with last nights subpar preformence had little to show for it. Some wonder why this team is not talked about in the same circles with the Colts and Pats, after last nights game I think it is very obvious why and that conversation should be put to rest. The Steelers lack consistancy in all three phases of the game and untill that is corrected and a true leader comes to take charge of this team each week will be a wait and see as to what team shows up or if anyone will show up at all, taking nothing for granted at to the opponents record or team stats. I am starting to wonder if Coach T's laid back approach to his players has a positive or negative approach to this team. Every coach wants to be a 'players coach' and a good guy but when poor preformance by so many players like was evident last night is it time for alittle Chower attitude adjustment to come around for those in need?

I dont know about all of you guys but one thing that ticked me off last night was Coach Tomlin! I dont know how many times the camera was on him and he had a "deer in headlights" look in his eyes and it seemed like every time I saw him he had his headset mic on his head and not by his mouth. There was rarely any emotion out of anyone on the team but Willie, they just seemed to play slow and "dumb." Things obviously needed to be changed on defense, the Broncos' WR were getting too open and Cutler was getting too much time. I didnt see many adjustments in the defense after halftime and they paid for it in the end. I think BA made the adjustments needed bc I think the offense came out strong, ben was 14/15 for 131 yds and 3 td O Turnovers in the second half and gave them the chance to win, which I commend him for. If Romo can turn the ball over 6 times with 5 ints and the Cowboys can still win on the road, there is no excuse for the Steelers not to win last night, Ben had 3 Turnovers and one lead to points. That snap and the protection on that play was absolutely terrible, and anyone who doesnt admit it is nieve. Lebeau and Tomlin needed to make changes and Coach Tomlin is familiar with coaching a secondary up so what the heck happened. THats not like a Steelers defense to let them drive the ball down the field like that and kick a game winning FG!!!!! They have to start playing with some consistency if they want to continue to win games. I think Ben gave them every opportunity to win that game, yeah he threw 2 ints and had a fumble that went for a td but come on guys, there was still a WHOLE HALF of football left to play, it came down to needing a stop and they couldnt get it.
Poorly prepared game plan. Did not adapt to what was going on. I like coach T....but this was not one of his best showings.
I felt that the offensive gameplan was dictated by the broncos blitzing the run.But the d' gameplan was horrible, third and long nothing should get a 1st down.

I agree totally we were out-coached on both sides of the ball and were ill prepared for the game, hopefully they learned a lesson that will help us for the rest of the year. Its been awhile since our defense looked so inapt and our offensive line play is something that needs addressed before they get Ben killed and we have one of the top fullbacks in Krieder and they refuse to use him the coaches get a failing grade for their game plan.

Poor game plan all together.... 3 carries for FWP in the 1st quarter against the worst RUN D in the NFL. Come on- We needed to pound the rock- not let them gain momentum by there D making plays in the passing game.

Sorry Folks but Tomlin was out coached by the master.IMHO

gobroncsnv
10-28-2007, 08:04 PM

This to me is like saying "here is how the matchups look on paper, so I know who is going to win the game." A crummy game plan is not to be ignored, but you have to give credit to whoever is doing the best blocking, tackling, throwing, catching and running. Schemes are wonderful, but determination and talent on the player's part has even a bigger role, imo. It's one thing to know WHAT to do, another to follow through and do it better than the other guys trying to stop you.

TXBRONC
10-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Here are a few comments from teh steelers forum.

Coming off a bye week it is unexcusable for any team to play as poorly as did the Steelers. It was much talked about when Coach T had the Steelers practicing a few days of the bye week and with last nights subpar preformence had little to show for it. Some wonder why this team is not talked about in the same circles with the Colts and Pats, after last nights game I think it is very obvious why and that conversation should be put to rest. The Steelers lack consistancy in all three phases of the game and untill that is corrected and a true leader comes to take charge of this team each week will be a wait and see as to what team shows up or if anyone will show up at all, taking nothing for granted at to the opponents record or team stats. I am starting to wonder if Coach T's laid back approach to his players has a positive or negative approach to this team. Every coach wants to be a 'players coach' and a good guy but when poor preformance by so many players like was evident last night is it time for alittle Chower attitude adjustment to come around for those in need?

I dont know about all of you guys but one thing that ticked me off last night was Coach Tomlin! I dont know how many times the camera was on him and he had a "deer in headlights" look in his eyes and it seemed like every time I saw him he had his headset mic on his head and not by his mouth. There was rarely any emotion out of anyone on the team but Willie, they just seemed to play slow and "dumb." Things obviously needed to be changed on defense, the Broncos' WR were getting too open and Cutler was getting too much time. I didnt see many adjustments in the defense after halftime and they paid for it in the end. I think BA made the adjustments needed bc I think the offense came out strong, ben was 14/15 for 131 yds and 3 td O Turnovers in the second half and gave them the chance to win, which I commend him for. If Romo can turn the ball over 6 times with 5 ints and the Cowboys can still win on the road, there is no excuse for the Steelers not to win last night, Ben had 3 Turnovers and one lead to points. That snap and the protection on that play was absolutely terrible, and anyone who doesnt admit it is nieve. Lebeau and Tomlin needed to make changes and Coach Tomlin is familiar with coaching a secondary up so what the heck happened. THats not like a Steelers defense to let them drive the ball down the field like that and kick a game winning FG!!!!! They have to start playing with some consistency if they want to continue to win games. I think Ben gave them every opportunity to win that game, yeah he threw 2 ints and had a fumble that went for a td but come on guys, there was still a WHOLE HALF of football left to play, it came down to needing a stop and they couldnt get it.
Poorly prepared game plan. Did not adapt to what was going on. I like coach T....but this was not one of his best showings.
I felt that the offensive gameplan was dictated by the broncos blitzing the run.But the d' gameplan was horrible, third and long nothing should get a 1st down.

I agree totally we were out-coached on both sides of the ball and were ill prepared for the game, hopefully they learned a lesson that will help us for the rest of the year. Its been awhile since our defense looked so inapt and our offensive line play is something that needs addressed before they get Ben killed and we have one of the top fullbacks in Krieder and they refuse to use him the coaches get a failing grade for their game plan.

Poor game plan all together.... 3 carries for FWP in the 1st quarter against the worst RUN D in the NFL. Come on- We needed to pound the rock- not let them gain momentum by there D making plays in the passing game.

Sorry Folks but Tomlin was out coached by the master.IMHO

What these posts shows is that Steeler fans are like fans of the other 31 teams. When the team loses someone is going to catch crap for the loss.

omac
10-28-2007, 08:30 PM
What these posts shows is that Steeler fans are like fans of the other 31 teams. When the team loses someone is going to catch crap for the loss.

Yeah, posting what fans think is no way to strengthen an argument. Saying the Steelers would've won if they played differently is pure speculation; the reality is that the Broncos outplayed the Steelers. I can't believe I'm saying this, but ... to the Bronco fans that think the Steelers should've won ... get over it. :confused:

TXBRONC
10-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Yeah, posting what fans think is no way to strengthen an argument. Saying the Steelers would've won if they played differently is pure speculation; the reality is that the Broncos outplayed the Steelers. I can't believe I'm saying this, but ... to the Bronco fans that think the Steelers should've won ... get over it. :confused:

When start heading done that path, then you can say "If Henry had not bruised his ribs he would would have gained 100 yards rushing." "If Roethlisberger hadn't gotten a favorable (that's what I think) on that late td drive in the fourth quarter the we would have won by 14 points or more."

omac
10-28-2007, 09:41 PM
I'll disect this Steelers fan post, just to show how much of it is unobjective rambling, not based on facts ....

I dont know about all of you guys but one thing that ticked me off last night was Coach Tomlin! I dont know how many times the camera was on him and he had a "deer in headlights" look in his eyes and it seemed like every time I saw him he had his headset mic on his head and not by his mouth. There was rarely any emotion out of anyone on the team but Willie, they just seemed to play slow and "dumb."

How Tomlin "looked" in the sideline? That's supposed to be a strong case against the coaching? He "looked" like he didn't know what to do? Fans can say the funniest things, but they don't know crap about real coaching. :D

Things obviously needed to be changed on defense, the Broncos' WR were getting too open and Cutler was getting too much time. I didnt see many adjustments in the defense after halftime and they paid for it in the end.

Here, not only does he show bias and a lack of observation, he's also saying the Broncos wide receivers are getting too open but that they shouldn't .... implying that the Broncos WRs/offense is not supposed to be any good. The Steelers corners could try to cover closer, but they'll also run the risk of getting burned more often. They try to prevent the big gains.

On Cutler getting too much time ... actually, the article I posted made mention of the fact that Cutler released the ball often within 2 seconds; that's pretty quick. So Cutler having 1.8 seconds to throw is just too much time? Now that's a diss on our offensive line.

I think BA made the adjustments needed bc I think the offense came out strong, ben was 14/15 for 131 yds and 3 td O Turnovers in the second half and gave them the chance to win, which I commend him for.

This only further proves that it was the passing game, not their rushing attack, that was having much more consistent success.

If Romo can turn the ball over 6 times with 5 ints and the Cowboys can still win on the road, there is no excuse for the Steelers not to win last night, Ben had 3 Turnovers and one lead to points. That snap and the protection on that play was absolutely terrible, and anyone who doesnt admit it is nieve. Lebeau and Tomlin needed to make changes and Coach Tomlin is familiar with coaching a secondary up so what the heck happened. THats not like a Steelers defense to let them drive the ball down the field like that and kick a game winning FG!!!!! They have to start playing with some consistency if they want to continue to win games. I think Ben gave them every opportunity to win that game, yeah he threw 2 ints and had a fumble that went for a td but come on guys, there was still a WHOLE HALF of football left to play, it came down to needing a stop and they couldnt get it.

This is just pure disrespect on the Broncos. What this fan is saying is that the Steelers should be able to beat the Broncos no matter how bad the Steelers played, and how good the Broncos played.

If you noticed anything about his post, or most of the other posts or commentaries about how the Steelers SHOULD'VE beaten the Broncos, there's one thing usually never mentioned .... the Broncos getting credit for anything. Forget how the Broncos stopped several Steeler rush attempts for 1 yard or less. Forget how well the Broncos offense was executing. Forget all of that.

The Steelers fans believed that the Steelers only lost because of themselves, not because of anything the Broncos did. Now that's disrespect, yet it's reposted here? :confused:

Lonestar
10-28-2007, 09:59 PM
I'll disect this Steelers fan post, just to show how much of it is unobjective rambling, not based on facts ....

How Tomlin "looked" in the sideline? That's supposed to be a strong case against the coaching? He "looked" like he didn't know what to do? Fans can say the funniest things, but they don't know crap about real coaching. :D

Here, not only does he show bias and a lack of observation, he's also saying the Broncos wide receivers are getting too open but that they shouldn't .... implying that the Broncos WRs/offense is not supposed to be any good. The Steelers corners could try to cover closer, but they'll also run the risk of getting burned more often. They try to prevent the big gains.

On Cutler getting too much time ... actually, the article I posted made mention of the fact that Cutler released the ball often within 2 seconds; that's pretty quick. So Cutler having 1.8 seconds to throw is just too much time? Now that's a diss on our offensive line.

This only further proves that it was the passing game, not their rushing attack, that was having much more consistent success.

This is just pure disrespect on the Broncos. What this fan is saying is that the Steelers should be able to beat the Broncos no matter how bad the Steelers played, and how good the Broncos played.

If you noticed anything about his post, or most of the other posts or commentaries about how the Steelers SHOULD'VE beaten the Broncos, there's one thing usually never mentioned .... the Broncos getting credit for anything. Forget how the Broncos stopped several Steeler rush attempts for 1 yard or less. Forget how well the Broncos offense was executing. Forget all of that.

The Steelers fans believed that the Steelers only lost because of themselves, not because of anything the Broncos did. Now that's disrespect, yet it's reposted here? :confused:

Yes it is posted here much like some of our fans thinking other teams should not be able to play in the same field with DEN I remember seeing alot of hopeful threads and posts about Den going to the Superbowl this year rolling over everyone in there path.

I merely posted them to show that since we do not follow the steelers all that close some of those that do believe that he was out coached.

Y'all do not have to believe that some do .

Did DEN out play them sure it happens from time to time. I suspect it will happen less this year than most fans will be comfortable with.

The question remains and has always been on the table can they do the same without two weeks to get ready for the rest of the season..

omac
10-28-2007, 10:47 PM
Yes it is posted here much like some of our fans thinking other teams should not be able to play in the same field with DEN I remember seeing alot of hopeful threads and posts about Den going to the Superbowl this year rolling over everyone in there path.

I merely posted them to show that since we do not follow the steelers all that close some of those that do believe that he was out coached.

Did DEN out play them sure it happens from time to time. I suspect it will happen less this year than most fans will be comfortable with.

The question remains and has always been on the table can they do the same without two weeks to get ready for the rest of the season..

Well, it's good to get opinions of people who closely follow the Steelers in order to get a different perspecive, but it's much better if the person posting that opinion shows a less bias and more objectivity. The Steeler fan who's post this was taken has little credibility, not only because of the bias that he posts with, but also with his obvious lack of information on his opponent, the Broncos.

If I was a Steeler fan and I wanted to get a good sense of how the Broncos really are, I'd probably get a post from someone like Morambar or tnedator (sometimes ... hehehe :D ), where they'll be a bit more objective on the stengths and weaknesses of their own team, and maybe even back it up with facts ... not just stuff like "Tomlin has that dear in the headlights look" or "if Dallas could do it, so should we." :D

I think your statement of ....

shows you don't really have much confidence in this years team, and maybe it's affecting how you view their success. Because you don't believe this team is that good, Denver's wins will look "lucky", and you them being outplayed by their opponents is the norm.

TXBRONC
10-28-2007, 11:46 PM

Fact is you always suspect the worst.

How many excuses are you going to make for this one game Jr.

First it was the Steelers had caught on to what Denver was doing , and IF they had had one more chance with ball you suspect they would have won.

Second, the Steelers did run the ball the way they should have, they passed to much.

Then it was Tomlin is a rookie head coach that's why the Steelers lost. (I might add that wasn't your idea to begin with you borrowed it from someone else not that it matters.) But like many things you ignore basic fact that rain on your parade of criticism. For instance, Tomlin and his Steelers came into this game with a 4-1 record. Being rookie head coach had been a problem up to that point. Also the fact that Steelers defense has basically the same personnel that it did last season and the same defensive coordinator that they have had over past several years.

Now your excuses is Denver had two weeks to prepare that's why they won. If this team is as bad as you say two weeks to prepare for this game is irrelevant.

As far as seeing a plethora posts about how we are going to the Super Bowl, all I know it sure hell hasn't been on this board.

Tned
10-28-2007, 11:51 PM

I guess we will have 10 opportunities to find out.

TXBRONC
10-28-2007, 11:51 PM
Well, it's good to get opinions of people who closely follow the Steelers in order to get a different perspecive, but it's much better if the person posting that opinion shows a less bias and more objectivity. The Steeler fan who's post this was taken has little credibility, not only because of the bias that he posts with, but also with his obvious lack of information on his opponent, the Broncos.

If I was a Steeler fan and I wanted to get a good sense of how the Broncos really are, I'd probably get a post from someone like Morambar or tnedator (sometimes ... hehehe :D ), where they'll be a bit more objective on the stengths and weaknesses of their own team, and maybe even back it up with facts ... not just stuff like "Tomlin has that dear in the headlights look" or "if Dallas could do it, so should we." :D

I think your statement of ....

shows you don't really have much confidence in this years team, and maybe it's affecting how you view their success. Because you don't believe this team is that good, Denver's wins will look "lucky", and you them being outplayed by their opponents is the norm.

Jr has made it clear many times that he has no confidence in the Broncos.

Tned
10-28-2007, 11:55 PM

Yes, that is clear. On the other end of the spectrum, we have the folks (not many left) that look at everything through orange and blue glasses. Then there are the rest of us that fall somewhere in between.

All you have to do is follow the gameday thread to see that Jr isn't alone in his believing the 2007 Broncos is a horrible excuse for a team. the