PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Corners Pleased with Progress

Denver Native (Carol)
06-13-2012, 08:48 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Cornerbacks Tracy Porter and Champ Bailey agree that the secondary is fully equipped to help the team reach its lofty goals in 2012.

“The way we’re getting our hands on the ball and the way we’re flying around,” Porter said. “It just speaks volumes about us on the back end, the front guys putting pressure on the quarterback and the competitiveness that we have both offensively and defensively.”

Porter expressed that the most important element to build on in the secondary is cohesion.

rest - plus other things included in article
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Notebook-Corners-Pleased-with-Progress/a3da623d-afb7-4452-96c6-18a380c4ba6a

SoCalImport
06-13-2012, 10:03 PM
I love this one. Champ always puts a positive spin on things but saying that this is the most depth of any team he's been on is pretty specific.

Jsteve01
06-14-2012, 08:46 AM
I love this one. Champ always puts a positive spin on things but saying that this is the most depth of any team he's been on is pretty specific.

I wonder if he's forgotten playing with two other hall of famers. That's pretty deep.

Chef Zambini
06-14-2012, 10:44 AM
its always pretty deep when qouting champ.
when has EVER said anything negative about ANYONE who is on the roster or the payroll ?
CHAMP would have great things to say about...
Albert Haynesworth
Jeff George
ROMO
j'marcus Rusell
Ryan Leaf

Just follow his comments on JMCD for details !

Davii
06-14-2012, 10:54 AM
when has EVER said anything negative about ANYONE who is on the roster or the payroll ?
Albert Haynesworth
Jeff George
ROMO
j'marcus Rusell
Ryan Leaf

So you're saying he is a Chef Zambini counterweight?

CoachChaz
06-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Albert Haynesworth
Jeff George
ROMO
j'marcus Rusell
Ryan Leaf

I'm willing to bet he'd eventually have something negative to say about you though

MOtorboat
06-14-2012, 11:03 AM
Move them all to safety! Who needs corners?

Am I right, zam?

Cugel
06-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Champ Bailey said similar things when Dre Bly came to town, but this time he could be right!

The Broncos have added 3 veteran DBs who can actually cover people by signing Terry Porter, Drayton Florence and Mike Adams. Each of those players are actually good. Not elite but good coverage skills.

Then you take a look at who the other CBs were last year and see: Andre Goodman, Chris Harris, Cassius Vaughn and Jonathan Willhite. Champ could be forgiven if he looks at this year's roster and sees some decent players and is ecstatic over comparison with the useless chodes on the roster LAST season!

They got rid of all of them but Harris (so far).

Syd Thompson is healthy. In addition to him there are a bunch of scrubs, Ramzee Robinson, Joshua Moore, Coryell Judee, Chris Harris & Tony Carter, none of whom has significant playing experience.

But with Champ, Porter & Florence, there's only room on the roster for TWO scrubs this season (total 5 CBs, with Champ, Porter and Forence getting 3 of those spots). And neither is likely to get substantial playing time.

So, Champ is right. Baring injury, he, Porter & Florence are going to take the vast majority of the snaps. And all of them are good.

(I'm ignoring Omar Bolden who is likely to be on the roster as a KR, but who is unlikely to play much on defense his rookie year. His addition would mean there are 6 CBs on the roster and only 5 WRs -- since Eddie Royal last year's KR was a WR you subtract a WR slot and add a CB slot).

The improvement at S with the addition of Adams is also substantial. Moore & Carter are entering their second year and should (hopefully) be improved as well. That could give the Broncos five or six DBs who can actually cover somebody downfield.

A huge improvement from recent years.

NightTerror218
06-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Champ Bailey said similar things when Dre Bly came to town, but this time he could be right!

The Broncos have added 3 veteran DBs who can actually cover people by signing Terry Porter, Drayton Florence and Mike Adams. Each of those players are actually good. Not elite but good coverage skills.

Then you take a look at who the other CBs were last year and see: Andre Goodman, Chris Harris, Cassius Vaughn and Jonathan Willhite. Champ could be forgiven if he looks at this year's roster and sees some decent players and is ecstatic over comparison with the useless chodes on the roster LAST season!

They got rid of all of them.

Syd Thompson is healthy. In addition to him there are a bunch of scrubs, Ramzee Robinson, Joshua Moore, Coryell Judee, Chris Harris & Tony Carter, none of whom has significant playing experience.

But with Champ, Porter & Florence, there's only room on the roster for TWO scrubs this season. And neither is likely to get substantial playing time.

So, Champ is right. Baring injury, he, Porter & Florence are going to take the vast majority of the snaps. And all of them are good.

(I'm ignoring Omar Bolden who is likely to be on the roster as a KR, but who is unlikely to play much on defense his rookie year).

The improvement at S with the addition of Adams is also substantial. Moore & Carter are entering their second year and should (hopefully) be improved as well. That could give the Broncos five or six DBs who can actually cover somebody downfield.

A huge improvement from recent years.

I think Bolden could be above Harris on the depth chart and will get to see some good playing time. He is suppose to be really good CB who had injury questions.

Jsteve01
06-14-2012, 04:36 PM
ok I'm just going to say this one more time. Paint it however you like but here is no way this team although deep has the depth that the 2000 skins did when they fielded three future hall of famers at corner.

Day1BroncoFan
06-14-2012, 04:40 PM
ok I'm just going to say this one more time. Paint it however you like but here is no way this team although deep has the depth that the 2000 skins did when they fielded three future hall of famers at corner.

What?

Jsteve01
06-14-2012, 04:49 PM
What?

Bailey, Green and Sanders

Cugel
06-14-2012, 04:57 PM

Champ probably wasn't thinking that far back. He was engaging in hyperbole.

This Broncos secondary does NOT bear comparison with that one, but you can forgive Champ if looking at the 2012 roster at DB he's excited by comparison with the 2011 DB roster of "Champ Bailey and the 7 Dwarfs." :rolleyes:

NightTerror218
06-14-2012, 05:05 PM

IMO we have HOF Bailey and a really good Porter. We also have Florence as a good backup to either and to play nickle. Harris was good last season as Nickle CB.

Jsteve01
06-14-2012, 05:15 PM
IMO we have HOF Bailey and a really good Porter. We also have Florence as a good backup to either and to play nickle. Harris was good last season as Nickle CB.

maybe just maybe the overall depth is better but there has never been nor will there ever be three such great corners on the same roster again.

CrazyHorse
06-17-2012, 04:29 AM
Green was 40 and past his prime and Bailey hadn't yet established himself as an elite corner.

Chef Zambini
06-17-2012, 07:34 AM
our secondary improved exponentially when we told goodman to turn in his uniform.

Chef Zambini
06-17-2012, 07:36 AM
... if only goodman and champ could have switched uniforms like those goofy coffee commercials !

MOtorboat
06-17-2012, 09:09 AM
You act as if the problem would be solved if he lined up on the right instead of the left. And you call us ignorant? If he lined up on the right, they'd throw left. If he lined up at strong safety, they'd throw long and right. If he lined up at free safety, they'd throw it short. No matter where you line Bailey up at, he's not going to have the ball thrown at him. Lining him up at safety doesn't change that, nor does lining him up on the right side of the field versus the left.

So, by your logic, since he'll never get thrown at, we might as well cut him. That way, we can open up the whole defense to make plays.

Chef Zambini
06-17-2012, 09:47 AM
no again you misrepresent what I said, you clown car occupants always have to ater what I post to fit yor arguement !
I never said left side or right siode and you damn well know it, either that or you are seriously retaRDED AND I SHOULD APOLGISE FOR NOT BEING AWARE OF YOUR SEVER MENTAL HANDICAP.
iT IS ABOUT 'always taking the teams top receiver".
are you trying to tell me 144 passes were caught against champ baily ?
'cause YOUR own words, your own FACTS are that the opposing top WR caught 1444 passes against us last year, and if champ is ALWAYS on that top WR, shutting hiom down and taking away HALF the field while he is at it, then 144 completions against champ sucks! and no thats NOT what happened, but it can easily be deduced that 1444 times, in fact 333 times, the opponent manged to complete a pass even with champ in our backfield.

Chef Zambini
06-17-2012, 09:53 AM
You act as if the problem would be solved if he lined up on the right instead of the left. And you call us ignorant? If he lined up on the right, they'd throw left. If he lined up at strong safety, they'd throw long and right. If he lined up at free safety, they'd throw it short. No matter where you line Bailey up at, he's not going to have the ball thrown at him. Lining him up at safety doesn't change that, nor does lining him up on the right side of the field versus the left.

So, by your logic, since he'll never get thrown at, we might as well cut him. That way, we can open up the whole defense to make plays.if you honestly think it is just as easy for an offense to determin nd dictate the asignment of a safety as it is to maneuver a corner with a one on one assignment, then I have mistakenly given you too much credit for football savvy. i have engaged in a futile attempt to have an intelligent football arguement.
sorry for intruding, my bad.

SR
06-17-2012, 10:16 AM
no again you misrepresent what I said, you clown car occupants always have to ater what I post to fit yor arguement !
I never said left side or right siode and you damn well know it, either that or you are seriously retaRDED AND I SHOULD APOLGISE FOR NOT BEING AWARE OF YOUR SEVER MENTAL HANDICAP.
iT IS ABOUT 'always taking the teams top receiver".
are you trying to tell me 144 passes were caught against champ baily ?
'cause YOUR own words, your own FACTS are that the opposing top WR caught 1444 passes against us last year, and if champ is ALWAYS on that top WR, shutting hiom down and taking away HALF the field while he is at it, then 144 completions against champ sucks! and no thats NOT what happened, but it can easily be deduced that 1444 times, in fact 333 times, the opponent manged to complete a pass even with champ in our backfield.

No, dipshit. The opposing team's STARTING receiverS (plural, genius) caught 144 passes against the Denver D. Teams start TWO receiverS (again, plural) and therefor there are TWO cornerS (another plural) covering said TWO receivers. Split between the TWO starting CBs that's an average of 72 per. And I would bet you one of my paychecks that there were not 72 passes caught by receivers Champ was covering.

SR
06-17-2012, 10:17 AM
if you honestly think it is just as easy for an offense to determin nd dictate the asignment of a safety as it is to maneuver a corner with a one on one assignment, then I have mistakenly given you too much credit for football savvy. i have engaged in a futile attempt to have an intelligent football arguement.
sorry for intruding, my bad.

Kinda hard for you to have an intelligent football conversation with people when you're telling everyone they're mentally retarded, mentally handicapped, etc.

MOtorboat
06-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Zam, would Bailey be covering any receivers at safety? No.

So his talents for one on one work would be wasted. Weren't you complaining about his talents being wasted?

MOtorboat
06-17-2012, 10:51 AM

Right.

So we might as well just cut him.

Ravage!!!
06-17-2012, 11:05 AM
once again, no team plays man-to-man the entire game. Lining up on the opposing team's #1 WR back and forth would force the defense to play man-up on EVERY play. Thats about as easy of a defense for an opposing QB to throw against as you can get. Thats the worst idea you can have, and another example as to how Zam has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

MOtorboat
06-17-2012, 11:32 AM
I think I have a brilliant solution.

No cornerbacks. We take the field wit zero cornerbacks. The logic: if there are no cornerbacks on the field, they can't give up any passes!

I know, it's brilliant, isn't it.

SR
06-17-2012, 11:58 AM
I can't believe Zam hadn't already thought of that

Chef Zambini
06-17-2012, 02:17 PM
you cant cut corners and be succesful, aND WHATEVER HAPPENED TO SAFETY FIRST?

Ravage!!!
06-17-2012, 05:12 PM
I think I have a brilliant solution.

No cornerbacks. We take the field wit zero cornerbacks. The logic: if there are no cornerbacks on the field, they can't give up any passes!

I know, it's brilliant, isn't it.

better yet, and this will make everyone happy.

We move EVERY corner to safety.... and then play four safeties per game. N ow Champ is the safety to the far left, covering that third of the field and shutting it down.

SR
06-17-2012, 07:58 PM
better yet, and this will make everyone happy.

We move every corner to safety.... And then play four safeties per game. N ow champ is the safety to the far left, covering that third of the field and shutting it down.

he can't take away the field you retard!!!!!!

;)