PDA

View Full Version : Marshall to Baltimore?

rationalfan
06-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Per Mike Florio and PFT. And speaking of PFT, I see at least three questions/comments a day that would be answered/corrected if y'all would just read the site.

Rumors Fly Of Brandon Marshall To Baltimore
Posted by Mike Florio on June 15, 2009, 6:47 p.m.
As storm clouds gather (again) in Denver between the Broncos and a high profile offensive player, rumors are flying in some circles that Marshall could land in Baltimore.

Though the obvious destination would be Chicago, where Marshall’s former quarterback now resides, the Ravens have at least explored the possibility of adding a high-impact wideout during the offseason. The Bears have yet to do so. (Then again, maybe Cutler gave them a head’s up about Marshall.).

Adam Schefter reported earlier today that Marshall has asked to be traded.

Marshall likely would command at least a first-round and a third-round draft pick, due to the trade that sent Roy Williams from the Lions to the Cowboys last year.

The move also would require a contract worth $9 million or more per year.

So it would be a huge deal for anyone to do a deal for Marshall, especially in light of his past legal troubles.

Lonestar
06-15-2009, 06:22 PM
If we can get a 1st and 3rd for this moron do it in a heart beat.. do not pass go do not collect $200 just do it..

let him learn how to go to prison from Ray..

BroncoWave
06-15-2009, 06:30 PM
I'd rather take any player off that defense than get any of their draft picks.

atwater27
06-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Cool. Maybe we can finally add an actual bonafide good player to the D this offseason. (and yes, Dawkins is good, but I want someone to be excited about for more than a season before he retires)

BroncoWave
06-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Cool. Maybe we can finally add an actual bonafide good player to the D this offseason. (and yes, Dawkins is good, but I want someone to be excited about for more than a season before he retires)

Would actually make perfect sense for both teams. Baltimore gets their stud WR and they could just trade us the 4th or 5th best player off their defense, which wouldn't really hurt them any, and whoever that player is would probably be one of the 2 or 3 best on our D right off the bat.

topscribe
06-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Would actually make perfect sense for both teams. Baltimore gets their stud WR and they could just trade us the 4th or 5th best player off their defense, which wouldn't really hurt them any, and whoever that player is would probably be one of the 2 or 3 best on our D right off the bat.

Right now, Marshall was probably the #2 player (assuming he's healthy) on last
year's #2 offense. So a trade for the #2 player on the #2 defense (Baltimore)
might appeal to me . . .

-----

BroncoWave
06-15-2009, 06:43 PM
might appeal to me . . .

-----

But Baltimore's D is so good, the 4th or 5th best player on that D could very easily be the second best on ours. Of course if they want to give us their second best player, I certainly wouldn't turn them down!

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 06:45 PM
But Baltimore's D is so good, the 4th or 5th best player on that D could very easily be the second best on ours. Of course if they want to give us their second best player, I certainly wouldn't turn them down!

I don't think Marshall is worth the fourth or fifth best player on that defense right now with his off-the-field-issues. But I could be wrong.

BroncoWave
06-15-2009, 06:46 PM
I don't think Marshall is worth the fourth or fifth best player on that defense right now with his off-the-field-issues. But I could be wrong.

If they want a big time WR bad enough, losing one player off that defense wouldn't really hurt them badly at all.

topscribe
06-15-2009, 06:46 PM

Baltimore might agree with you . . .

-----

gobroncsnv
06-15-2009, 06:51 PM
and us getting someone from an attacking, pretty darn good, 3-4 style... I've un-adopted Brandon... let's just have people who want to be here. I wish him well, and hope he can get himself on the right track LONG TERM, instead of for a few weeks. But I pretty much lose interest once someone demands a trade, except for what we receive in return.

MasterShake
06-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Ohhh...maybe we can get Pryce and Foxworth back! :laugh:

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Ohhh...maybe we can get Pryce and Foxworth back! :laugh:

LOL...I immediately thought of Pryce.

Lonestar
06-15-2009, 07:01 PM
LOL...I immediately thought of Pryce.

yep lets get a worn out DE with a bad back for marshall.. someone that also has had moneyitis..

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 07:03 PM
yep lets get a worn out DE with a bad back for marshall.. someone that also has had moneyitis..

I immediately THOUGHT of Pryce, not that that would be a good trade...:rolleyes:

BroncoWave
06-15-2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I'd much prefer to get someone a little younger since we would be sending them someone pretty young as well.

Bad Intentions
06-15-2009, 07:31 PM
BMarsh for Terrell Suggs.
-or-
BMarsh for Haloti Ngata.

Nature Boy
06-15-2009, 07:35 PM
I'll take Haloti Ngata for Marshall. The NT problem will then be solved but then whom or for where do me replace Marshall with?

underrated29
06-15-2009, 07:53 PM
First thing i thought of when i saw this thread was ngata.

Both young studs, would be good for both teams.

dogfish
06-15-2009, 08:21 PM
-or-
BMarsh for Haloti Ngata.

high-five for making an intelligent post, instead of "anyone off their defense is good". . . .

:rolleyes:

realistically though, they're not trading us one of their defensive studs-- they're trying to build on a season where they reached the AFC championship game, they want to add talent, not exchange it. . . i see exactly zero percent chance they wouldn't laugh themselves silly the minute ngata's name was mentioned. . . now, suggs is a more interesting discussion-- he's also the only other player from that defense i'd want in trade for marshall. . . what, you guys want 35-year old ray lewis? yea, let's get a one- to two-year rental in exchange for an elite young receiver with a good seven or eight highly productive seasons ahead of him. . . now, i might consider ed reed, but i'd say there's no more chance of them moving him than ngata, and quite frankly we've got enough invested in the secondary as it is, with no one in front of them. . . who else? give up a beast like marshall for kelly gregg or jarrett johnson??

nope. . . it would have to be suggs, and the only reason he's even worth mentioning is because he's also looking for a mega-deal. . . IF they don't think they have the money, or want to pony up, then i suppose just maaaaybe i could see a scenario where they decided to maximize his value by trading him. . . but even that really doesn't make sense, because they'd be right back to the same problem with marshall-- although they could put it off for a year or two, especially if a new CBA isn't reached. . .

but honestly, i think any trade with the vultures would much more likely be based around a draft pick or two, not an impact player. . . and if it did happen, i bet the rest of the AFC would hate us-- the crows have been looking for an actual NFL receiver for just about forever. . . give them a dynamic receiving threat like marshall to go with their cannon-armed young QB and grinding running game, and they could become a dangerous contender. . . .

Bad Intentions
06-15-2009, 08:40 PM
I'll take Haloti Ngata for Marshall. The NT problem will then be solved but then whom or for where do me replace Marshall with?

Ngata comes to Denver and you can replace Marshall with a lot of different option. Remember, as good as Brandon Marshall is his numbers are mainly b/c he has 200 targets a year. If you look at it purely from a myopic standpoint you'd believe that his numbers support a claim to being a top 10 maybe even top 5 receiver. But he caught just over 50% of the passes thrown his way and had the most drops in the league to boot. The things about Brandon Marshall that are difficult to replace are the run after the catch ability and his blocking. And I think most people would agree that Brandon Marshall was often targeted and caught passes when he was not the most open receiver. Jay would lock on to him for halves at a time, not just quarters or drives. Brandon Lloyd isn't near Brandon Marshall in terms of talent, but if you threw the ball to Brandon Lloyd 200 times... he would likely go for 100 catches, 1300 yards and 6 or 7 TDs as well. Same stats that Brandon has put up the past couple years.

Ngata is a pipe dream. That is the single best move that McD could make... but I doubt it's possible. Why would the Ravens do something like that to their D? On the other hand, Brandon Marshall would give them an excellent weapon for their 2nd year QB and would help make guys like McClain and McGahee more effective b/c of his downfield blocking.

I just hope we don't end up with a draft pick or two and no difference makers as far as players. Unless of course we're prepared to use those draft picks on a package for Boldin.

Bad Intentions
06-15-2009, 08:44 PM
high-five for making an intelligent post, instead of "anyone off their defense is good". . . .

:rolleyes:

realistically though, they're not trading us one of their defensive studs-- they're trying to build on a season where they reached the AFC championship game, they want to add talent, not exchange it. . . i see exactly zero percent chance they wouldn't laugh themselves silly the minute ngata's name was mentioned. . . now, suggs is a more interesting discussion-- he's also the only other player from that defense i'd want in trade for marshall. . . what, you guys want 35-year old ray lewis? yea, let's get a one- to two-year rental in exchange for an elite young receiver with a good seven or eight highly productive seasons ahead of him. . . now, i might consider ed reed, but i'd say there's no more chance of them moving him than ngata, and quite frankly we've got enough invested in the secondary as it is, with no one in front of them. . . who else? give up a beast like marshall for kelly gregg or jarrett johnson??

nope. . . it would have to be suggs, and the only reason he's even worth mentioning is because he's also looking for a mega-deal. . . IF they don't think they have the money, or want to pony up, then i suppose just maaaaybe i could see a scenario where they decided to maximize his value by trading him. . . but even that really doesn't make sense, because they'd be right back to the same problem with marshall-- although they could put it off for a year or two, especially if a new CBA isn't reached. . .

but honestly, i think any trade with the vultures would much more likely be based around a draft pick or two, not an impact player. . . and if it did happen, i bet the rest of the AFC would hate us-- the crows have been looking for an actual NFL receiver for just about forever. . . give them a dynamic receiving threat like marshall to go with their cannon-armed young QB and grinding running game, and they could become a dangerous contender. . . .

So long as we parlay those picks into Anquan Boldin... WHO CARES. The rest of the AFC can cry me a river. Take those picks and send them to Arizona for Anquan Boldin and I'm a happy camper. Better receiver with less baggage and that dude (like Marshall) will block like a mofo. I'm pretty sure he'd hit his own mamma if he had a chance to spring his teammate for more yardage.;)

dogfish
06-15-2009, 08:51 PM
lol. . . yea, i'd do that deal. . . you give up a couple of years of age in exchange for a guy with a better head on his shoulders. . .

Northman
06-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Bmore could use a big receiver. Would definitely upgrade their offense.

Northman
06-15-2009, 09:17 PM

Suggs for Bmarsh straight up. :D

nj10
06-15-2009, 09:56 PM
let him learn how to go to prison from Ray..

You mean how NOT to... Ray could teach him how to get away with it. :coffee:

OaklandRaider
06-15-2009, 10:06 PM
No way in hell does Baltimore trade Ngata or Suggs for Marshall.

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 10:07 PM
No way in hell does Baltimore trade Ngata or Suggs for Marshall.

LOL, for once we can agree on something...

OrangeHoof
06-15-2009, 10:40 PM
I doubt they'd deal a player like Lewis, Reed, Suggs or Ngata.

The best non-draft-choice deal I can put together with the Ratbirds is Marshall for WR Mark Clayton and OLB Prescott Burgess. I know, not very sexy but the trade gives us a small, quick receiver which is in the Patriot mold of Troy Brown and an OLB who was coming into his own last year and would at least be a natural LB instead of forcing DEs like Moss and Dumervil into the job.

I was really sort of surprised with their depth chart and how few good matches they have with us.

atwater27
06-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Baltimore is interested in Marshall according to KFFL.

I looked at their roster. Anyone think a straight up Marshall for Suggs deal could emerge? They are both disgruntled with their current team. They both are young stars. I think the value is fair across the board and would adress heavy needs at their respective positions. Any thoughts?

Broncospsycho77
06-19-2009, 06:43 PM
I'd piss my pants if a Marshall-for-Suggs deal emerged, but there's no way in hell that transpires.

OrangeHoof
06-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Anyone think a straight up Marshall for Suggs deal could emerge? They are both disgruntled with their current team. They both are young stars. I think the value is fair across the board and would adress heavy needs at their respective positions. Any thoughts?

Suggs is older and plays a position where most players don't have long shelf lives. Plus, he is making a ton of money compared to Marshall. I'd much rather have some young, cheaper pieces than a cap-buster like Suggs.

Dean
06-19-2009, 07:30 PM
might appeal to me . . .

-----

Could you imagine how our defense would solidify with Haloti Ngata? Fifty or sixty tackles, collapsing the pocket, and, yes, he even picked 2 this year.

. . . And then I woke up.

Rick
06-19-2009, 07:39 PM
I would be ok with Suggs but only if Ayers was able to play full time DE as other wise you would have to assume Ayers and Suggs as OLB and I want and think we need Doom on the field with his pas rush ability.

EMB6903
06-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Ngata at this point is untouchable... Ozzie isnt that stupid...

I'd love Suggs in Denver though.. I think it would be a steal if we could trade BMarsh for him...

Dean
06-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Ngata at this point is untouchable... Ozzie isnt that stupid...

I'd love Suggs in Denver though.. I think it would be a steal if we could trade BMarsh for him...

Unfortunately that is true. However, nose tackle is the team's biggest need.

horsepig
06-20-2009, 08:55 PM
You mean how NOT to... Ray could teach him how to get away with it. :coffee:

Hell, BM's doing pretty well on his own. Maybe they could start a "Thugs'R'Us" franchise thingie.

Plenty of demand.

Poet
06-20-2009, 08:58 PM
-or-
BMarsh for Haloti Ngata.

B Marsh is not that good....

SoCalImport
06-20-2009, 08:59 PM

Shhh.... don't tell

Northman
06-20-2009, 09:01 PM

On that team he would be a god compared to what they have. :lol:

HORSEPOWER 56
06-20-2009, 10:20 PM

Umm, yeah he is. Just not off the field. If it wasn't for his off field antics, half the teams in the league would be beating down our door for him right now.

Suggs is a big name, but like his former teammate Adalius Thomas (who's now a Patriot) he had one really great season and that is it to this point. He's above-average at best. He's another "good" player on a Great defense. Much like most of the Broncos RBs of the Shanny era, as soon as you take him out of "the system" he's just not the same player.

I've resigned myself to te fact that marshall is as goos as gone and I wouldn't be upset at all if we got Suggs in return for him, but I wouldn't expect Suggs to go lighting the world on fire if he ends up here. :whistle: