PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' run game still a "top priority," Peyton Manning says

Denver Native (Carol)
06-12-2012, 03:47 PM
For all the hoopla surrounding the addition of Peyton Manning's arm to the Broncos, it might be easy to forget that they led the NFL in rushing last season. At 164.5 yards per game, Denver topped the league.

Manning hasn't forgotten that, however.

"I certainly think our running game is going to be effective because of the people that we have in here," Manning said after today's organized team activity. "The offensive line, the system, our backs; it's still going to be a top priority. Coach (Mike) McCoy has addressed the team and he's really preaching balance, to be kind of three-dimensional. On any down and distance, you can drop back, you can hand the ball off or your can run play-action. If the defense can be thinking of all three things, that gives the offense an advantage."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20840252/broncos-run-game-still-top-priority-peyton-manning

SR
06-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Good to hear

underrated29
06-12-2012, 04:13 PM
"Mccoy was preaching balance"-------Bout freaking time he learned what balance is. Good thing Peytons old OC was here today. Im sure he opened a whole new world up to mccoy.

Chef Zambini
06-12-2012, 05:05 PM
whose teaching balance in the classroom, Moreno?

underrated29
06-12-2012, 05:11 PM
whose teaching balance in the classroom, Moreno?

Knowshons on the PUP!

Chef Zambini
06-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Knowshons on the PUP!only until they move him to safety.

Chef Zambini
06-12-2012, 06:31 PM
mccoy is like a longtime high school coach coming to the bulls to show MJ how to participate in an offense.

broncobryce
06-12-2012, 08:47 PM
I have a hard time believing the run game is a priority. Manning can't help himself. I'm not saying I blame him, but lets not kid ourselves.

Traveler
06-12-2012, 10:01 PM
mccoy is like a longtime high school coach coming to the bulls to show MJ how to participate in an offense.

I'll be the first to say it. McCoy won't be with the team next year. Book it!

OrangeHoof
06-12-2012, 11:21 PM
I have a hard time believing the run game is a priority.

Yeah, it's like hearing Obama say that job growth is a priority.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-13-2012, 08:52 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Broncos now have an 11-time Pro Bowler at the quarterback position.

But don't expect to see a pass-dependant offense just because No. 18 is at the helm.

“(The running game) is still going to be a top priority,” quarterback Peyton Manning said. “I think (Offensive Coordinator Mike) McCoy has addressed the team, and he’s really preaching balance, and trying to be three-dimensional -- where on any down and distance, you can drop back, you can hand the ball off or you can run play-action. If the defense can be thinking about all three of those things, hopefully that gives the offense an advantage."

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-Aim-for-3D-Offense/ace9dd2d-3a81-47e4-a4d9-af386fb4c7c7

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-13-2012, 10:58 PM
I don't think that Manning is against running the ball. The Colts had one of the best rushing attacks in the league with Edgerrin James. The Colts just haven't had world beaters at RB lately.

BroncoWave
06-13-2012, 11:04 PM
I have a hard time believing the run game is a priority. Manning can't help himself. I'm not saying I blame him, but lets not kid ourselves.

Do you know anything about Manning? A QB's best friend is a great running game to make his job easier. The better our running game is, the more the D has to respect it, and the more openings Manning has in the passing game.

Manning is all about winning, and if that means running the ball 50% of the time or more, he'd be the first person on board if it helps the Broncos win games.

NorCalBronco7
06-14-2012, 12:16 AM
McCoy did such a sloppy, god aweful job......that he was interviewed to be a head coach this year!

Somebody give me legit reasons why they dislike him so I can understand.

Id bet every NFL team would say they consider their running game important and a priority.

And Im with you in that Manning will look to pass in every opportunity he finds.

Knowing Fox, though, the offense is going to have its share of runs.

vandammage13
06-14-2012, 09:29 AM

I think McCoy is one of the reasons Manning chose to come to Denver.

Not because he thinks McCoy is a good OC, but because Manning knows McCoy is so weak that he will have free reign over how the offense is going to work.

Northman
06-14-2012, 09:36 AM
I think Manning will get more running in Denver and he should. But it wont be a like a 50/50 kind of thing. There will be more passing than running, probably more like a 60/40 or 70/30 ratio in favor of the pass. I mean, lets face it Manning is a elite passer and that is his strength. But as people have said Fox is a more methodical coach who likes to run the ball so i could easily see a more run oriented offense in Denver.

Chef Zambini
06-14-2012, 10:13 AM
manning is going to have this team running the ball every time it does not pass.Colquitt will hopefully be MIA, except as a holder.

silkamilkamonico
06-14-2012, 10:25 AM
manning is going to have this team running the ball every time it does not pass.Colquitt will hopefully be MIA, except as a holder.

This is correct, although sometimes there will be someone kicking FG's, as well as Manning downing the ball in victory formation.

NightTerror218
06-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Good think Manning will me making the calls, we will see more 1st down throws and some 2nd/3rd and short yardage.

BroncoNut
06-14-2012, 12:39 PM
well if that's what Peyton says, then that must be the truth. Man, I am so sick of this prima donna a-hole already

NightTerror218
06-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Well with Manning we have a passing threat which means less people in the box for mcgahee to have to run through.

underrated29
06-14-2012, 04:30 PM

Unfortunately I do not agree with you, but god I hope so.

McCoy did such a sloppy, god aweful job......that he was interviewed to be a head coach this year!

Somebody give me legit reasons why they dislike him so I can understand.

I have a whole thread dedicated to this. You can find your answers there. But chew on this while you read through it. Was not Todd Haley the AZ OC who did such an awesome job that he got head coach for the cheifs? Where is Toddy boy now?- And guess what he was head and shoulders above mccoy

bcbronc
06-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Considering how many picks and pbu's are Reportedly hapening in camp we might have no choice but to depend on our running game.

#wentthere

BroncoWave
06-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Considering how many picks and pbu's are Reportedly hapening in camp we might have no choice but to depend on our running game.

#wentthere

I realize you're being sarcastic, but hearing about the misses Manning has really makes me optimistic compared to Tebow. Seems like the reports of his picks and incompletions are balls that were a few inches short or too far, or balls that were just tipped. For Tebow it was a great pass when he got it within a few inches of the WR. For Manning that's a terrible one.

MOtorboat
06-14-2012, 06:24 PM
I think Manning will get more running in Denver and he should. But it wont be a like a 50/50 kind of thing. There will be more passing than running, probably more like a 60/40 or 70/30 ratio in favor of the pass. I mean, lets face it Manning is a elite passer and that is his strength. But as people have said Fox is a more methodical coach who likes to run the ball so i could easily see a more run oriented offense in Denver.

Not to nitpick you North, but the Saints, the team that passed the ball the most last season was 60/40 almost on the dot. I doubt any team actually gets to 70/30.

I expect the Broncos to be around 58-57 percent passing.

Northman
06-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Not to nitpick you North, but the Saints, the team that passed the ball the most last season was 60/40 almost on the dot. I doubt any team actually gets to 70/30.

I expect the Broncos to be around 58-57 percent passing.

Maybe, but the Saints really had to pass that much out of necessity because of how bad the defense was.

MOtorboat
06-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Maybe, but the Saints really had to pass that much out of necessity because of how bad the defense was.

Right, somewhat. They are pretty pass-happy. And they use the screen like a draw to Sproles. But my point was really about percentages, not about the Saints.

NightTerror218
06-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Right, somewhat. They are pretty pass-happy. And they use the screen like a draw to Sproles. But my point was really about percentages, not about the Saints.

I do think the Colts were closer to 70-30 with Manning though.

MOtorboat
06-14-2012, 07:04 PM
I do think the Colts were closer to 70-30 with Manning though.

Never got over 63 percent. That was 2010.

In the Super Bowl winning season, it was 56 percent.

No team approaches 70/30.

BroncoWave
06-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Never got over 63 percent. That was 2010.

In the Super Bowl winning season, it was 56 percent.

No team approaches 70/30.

I don't understand why anyone is doubting this quote by Manning. Any smart QB knows a good running game is his best friend. I don't think we even hit 60/40.

MOtorboat
06-14-2012, 07:18 PM
I don't understand why anyone is doubting this quote by Manning. Any smart QB knows a good running game is his best friend. I don't think we even hit 60/40.

Manning was always at his best in the play action stretch. Hell, even when the run game wasn't working the Colts were calling play action stretch plays. Note that they were 10-6 when they were 63-37.

BroncoWave
06-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Manning was always at his best in the play action stretch. Hell, even when the run game wasn't working the Colts were calling play action stretch plays. Note that they were 10-6 when they were 63-37.

Yep, and I think our running backs could potentially be even better than the ones he had on his super bowl winning team. Needless to say I can't wait to watch this team play.

Traveler
06-15-2012, 08:20 AM
I think McCoy is one of the reasons Manning chose to come to Denver.

Not because he thinks McCoy is a good OC, but because Manning knows McCoy is so weak that he will have free reign over how the offense is going to work.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. I say he'll depart because he'll finally get a HC gig. He at least earn that much after what he did last season with the offense to accomodate our former QB. Imagine what happens if the offense this year is dominant. Just sayin'!

Chef Zambini
06-15-2012, 10:14 AM
the secret is having the formation and personnel on the field that allows PM to decide at the LOS if he will run or pass.
THAT will always be PMs decision, mcoy will decide personnel.
mccoyt will be the architect of plays and outline the gameplan, butt..
PM will make all the calls on gameday.
run or pass.

broncobryce
06-15-2012, 11:14 AM
the secret is having the formation and personnel on the field that allows PM to decide at the LOS if he will run or pass.
THAT will always be PMs decision, mcoy will decide personnel.
mccoyt will be the architect of plays and outline the gameplan, butt..
PM will make all the calls on gameday.
run or pass.

I agree, and what do you think he will call 70 percent of the time? I will be stunned if Mcgahee gets 1000 yards this year. And as long as we win, I don't care.

NightTerror218
06-15-2012, 11:25 AM
I agree, and what do you think he will call 70 percent of the time? I will be stunned if Mcgahee gets 1000 yards this year. And as long as we win, I don't care.

If we have a 1000 yrd rusher along with Manning, and a top 10 defense. We can have a SB, cause that sounds a lot like our SB wins in the late 90s.

If we have a dominant defense and great ground game, that takes pressure of Manning he will love it. I am claiming 55/45 passing/rushing. That is enough rushing to help Fox control the clock and more passing since you have manning.

underrated29
06-15-2012, 11:35 AM
imo we will easily have a 1k runner this year. And dare I say another 300-600 between our backup RBs whoever they may be. Hillman will be one for sure. I think we eclipse 2k yards on the ground combined this year. I will know more once I see them in TC, but hillman, moreno and mcgahee is going to be beastly!

Chef Zambini
06-15-2012, 12:43 PM
I think the RB position, including a FB will generate 3k of total offense run and pass combined.

NightTerror218
06-15-2012, 12:59 PM
I think the offense will have 2k rushing 2.75k passing.

BroncoWave
06-15-2012, 01:01 PM

The most any of his colts teams passed was 63%, and that was only a 10-6 team. His SB winning team was much more balanced. I don't understand this fallacy people believe that Manning wants to pass all the time.

Ravage!!!
06-15-2012, 01:03 PM
The most any of his colts teams passed was 63%, and that was only a 10-6 team. His SB winning team was much more balanced. I don't understand this fallacy people believe that Manning wants to pass all the time.

I don't know. I know that when he had good RBs in the backfield, Peyton used them. He loves the play action, and a good running game..teamed up with his play action.. makes his passing game that much more lethal.

BroncoWave
06-15-2012, 01:08 PM
I don't know. I know that when he had good RBs in the backfield, Peyton used them. He loves the play action, and a good running game..teamed up with his play action.. makes his passing game that much more lethal.

I have to question if the people who question Manning's stance of the running game being a priority every watched a Colts game of his/understood what they were watching.

NightTerror218
06-15-2012, 01:18 PM
I have to question if the people who question Manning's stance of the running game being a priority every watched a Colts game of his/understood what they were watching.

I do know that when Clark and several others we injured that he was passing a lot more and forcing balls a lot more. I think it was one of his worst INTs season. When the ground game is working he does not need to force the ball into places as often. That 63% included scrambles and random stuff that were not running plays. But he has always been on the top of the list for passing attempts. That 63% was also in 2010. If you take out his scrambles he is at 65:35 ratio.

MOtorboat
06-15-2012, 03:18 PM
I do know that when Clark and several others we injured that he was passing a lot more and forcing balls a lot more. I think it was one of his worst INTs season. When the ground game is working he does not need to force the ball into places as often. That 63% included scrambles and random stuff that were not running plays. But he has always been on the top of the list for passing attempts. That 63% was also in 2010. If you take out his scrambles he is at 65:35 ratio.

That 63-37 does not include scrambles.

That was purely statistical, passing attempts to running attempts.

NightTerror218
06-15-2012, 04:22 PM
That 63-37 does not include scrambles.

That was purely statistical, passing attempts to running attempts.

not based off the split I was looking at. It had Manning under the rushing category. I do not think Manning rushed 18 times.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/ind/year/2010

679 passing attempts
393 rushing attempts including scrambles

679+397= 1072 offensive plays
679/1072 * (100)= 63.34%
take out the scrambles
679/1054 * (100)= 64.42%

BroncoWave
06-15-2012, 04:35 PM
not based off the split I was looking at. It had Manning under the rushing category. I do not think Manning rushed 18 times.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/ind/year/2010

679 passing attempts
393 rushing attempts including scrambles

679+397= 1072 offensive plays
679/1072 * (100)= 63.34%
take out the scrambles
679/1054 * (100)= 64.42%

QB sneaks and kneel downs both count as rushing attempts. It's very possible Manning did those two things a combined 18 times in a season.

And before you ask, here is my proof about kneel downs:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/03/26/stat-sheet-misconceptions-rushing-yards/

NightTerror218
06-15-2012, 04:52 PM
QB sneaks and kneel downs both count as rushing attempts. It's very possible Manning did those two things a combined 18 times in a season.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/03/26/stat-sheet-misconceptions-rushing-yards/

that was why i took them out to bump up the percentage of passes to rushes.

Northman
06-15-2012, 05:11 PM

Yes, kneeldowns are counted as rushes and loss of yardage.

BroncoWave
06-15-2012, 05:16 PM
that was why i took them out to bump up the percentage of passes to rushes.

I really don't understand why you're splitting hairs over one percentage point in the first place. Regardless, the point is that year was one of his worst with the Colts, proving the point of us who are saying Manning would prefer a more balanced attack.

NightTerror218
06-15-2012, 05:22 PM
I really don't understand why you're splitting hairs over one percentage point in the first place. Regardless, the point is that year was one of his worst with the Colts, proving the point of us who are saying Manning would prefer a more balanced attack.

Must be the Engineer in me. 1% means i get sued.

Chef Zambini
06-15-2012, 06:23 PM
a sack is considered a run play but the lost yardage goes against the passing yards.

BroncoWave
06-15-2012, 06:57 PM
a sack is considered a run play but the lost yardage goes against the passing yards.

A sack is not considered a running play in the NFL, only in college.

MOtorboat
06-15-2012, 08:02 PM
If I remember correctly, the run and pass were both called 100 percent of the time in Indianapolis with Manning at the helm, because on every single play the offensive coordinator would give Manning a run and a pass, and he'd choose between the two.

Chef Zambini
06-16-2012, 01:22 PM
A sack is not considered a running play in the NFL, only in college.its NOT considered a PASS attempt! it does NOT list as an inco,pleted pass so it must be considered a RUN play ! however, the yardage LOST on a sack goes AGAINST the passs yardage and the QBs passing yards !

BroncoWave
06-16-2012, 01:25 PM
its NOT considered a PASS attempt! it does NOT list as an inco,pleted pass so it must be considered a RUN play ! however, the yardage LOST on a sack goes AGAINST the passs yardage and the QBs passing yards !

In the stat sheet it does not record a rushing attempt.

Here is a box score for proof. Jay Cutler was sacked 6 times in this game but is only credited with one rushing attempt:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=310918018

It's not counted as a passing or rushing attempt, but it is counted as a passing PLAY.

SR
06-16-2012, 01:27 PM
its NOT considered a PASS attempt! it does NOT list as an inco,pleted pass so it must be considered a RUN play ! however, the yardage LOST on a sack goes AGAINST the passs yardage and the QBs passing yards !

A sack is not considered a run play. If it is considered a rushing attempt and the runner/QB is tackled behind the line of scrimmage it doesn't count as a sack and the yards lost count against the team's rush yards.

Chef Zambini
06-16-2012, 02:26 PM
A sack is not considered a run play. If it is considered a rushing attempt and the runner/QB is tackled behind the line of scrimmage it doesn't count as a sack and the yards lost count against the team's rush yards.wrong, absolutly wrong sack yardage does count against the passing yards !
when the QB is the ball carrier, regardless of hwo that QB is, a tackle behind the LOS is considered a sack. those sack negative yards count against the passing yards. it is NOT considered a pass attempt however, and it is NOT considered a rush attempt either! weird. I know ! but when the sack yardage comes off the pass yardage, I think it can be considered a pass play, yet not a pass attempt.

SR
06-16-2012, 02:36 PM
wrong, absolutly wrong sack yardage does count against the passing yards !
when the QB is the ball carrier, regardless of hwo that QB is, a tackle behind the LOS is considered a sack. those sack negative yards count against the passing yards. it is NOT considered a pass attempt however, and it is NOT considered a rush attempt either! weird. I know ! but when the sack yardage comes off the pass yardage, I think it can be considered a pass play, yet not a pass attempt.

Wrong. Tim Tebow was tackled AS A RUNNER multiple times last year and they were not considered sacks.

SR
06-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Tackled behind the line of scrimmage*

BroncoWave
06-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Let me clarify this. Sacks count against TEAM passing yardage but not INDIVIDUAL passing yardage. Go look at the Saints/Bears boxscore I posted for proof. Cutler is credited with 244 passing yards but right below you can see the TEAM was credited with 186 passing yards. That's because sacks count against the team total but not individual total. Not sure why that's the case, but it is.

NorCalBronco7
06-17-2012, 03:33 AM
I have a whole thread dedicated to this. You can find your answers there. But chew on this while you read through it. Was not Todd Haley the AZ OC who did such an awesome job that he got head coach for the cheifs? Where is Toddy boy now?- And guess what he was head and shoulders above mccoy

Toddy boys calling plays for Big Ben. Hes still considered one of the better play callers in the league. :lol:

Just because you think McCoy would be a crappy/great/decent head coach doesnt mean anything when his job for the Broncos is as OC. Your bashing McCoy for something he hasnt even had an opportunity to fail at. How about you tell us what McCoy has done and why you hate that.

Chef Zambini
06-17-2012, 08:27 AM
[QUOTE=NorCalBronco7;1656543]Toddy boys calling plays for Big Ben. Hes still considered one of the better play callers in the league. :lol:

Just because you think McCoy would be a crappy/great/decent head coach doesnt mean anything when his job for the Broncos is as OC. Your bashing McCoy for something he hasnt even had an opportunity to fail at. How about you tell us what McCoy has done and why you hate that.[/Q

'Your bashing McCoy for something he hasnt even had an opportunity to fail at. '

love this line!
But honestly, our OC could be anybody!

all PM really needs is a wet nurse for his surgery.
here's the thing, brian billik...
the other BB, brian big bagowind bilek, he looked like an offensive genius when he had randall cunningham chucking the ball to randy moss,
butt.....
what memorable offense did he orchestrate in baltimore?
we really dont know what we have in mccoy, and honestly, having PM as his QB isnt going to clarify his resume either!
so as long as we have success, WTF who cares?
and I have little doubt that our offense can consistently put 24 points on the board, every game, regardless of opponent.
Now do we have a defense ans special teams that wont give up more than 21 ?

Cugel
06-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Do you know anything about Manning? A QB's best friend is a great running game to make his job easier. The better our running game is, the more the D has to respect it, and the more openings Manning has in the passing game.

Manning is all about winning, and if that means running the ball 50% of the time or more, he'd be the first person on board if it helps the Broncos win games.

True, but it would NOT be the way to win games in the NFL. PASSING is the way to win in the NFL and no matter what teams say now, they know it.

Here's the key phrase from that article:

"[Manning] What you try to do is sort of take what the defense is giving you."

On the goal line and in short-yardage teams are geared to stop the run. It's hard to rush the ball into the end-zone with all the defenders lined up to stop it.

That's where play-action pass and a QB with a super-accurate arm and intelligence comes in. Making the right decision down around the goal line is key.

Having a QB who can thread the needle is key.

No matter what Manning says today, the Broncos are NOT going to run more than they pass this season. Manning will get close to 4,000 yards passing and 25-30 passing TDs. He won't lead the league in passing. He may not even be in the top 5. But, it's going to be much more passing than we're used to seeing in recent years because Manning is a better passer than anybody to wear the Broncos uniform since John Elway.

BroncoWave
06-18-2012, 12:29 PM
True, but it would NOT be the way to win games in the NFL. PASSING is the way to win in the NFL and no matter what teams say now, they know it.

Here's the key phrase from that article:

On the goal line and in short-yardage teams are geared to stop the run. It's hard to rush the ball into the end-zone with all the defenders lined up to stop it.

That's where play-action pass and a QB with a super-accurate arm and intelligence comes in. Making the right decision down around the goal line is key.

Having a QB who can thread the needle is key.

No matter what Manning says today, the Broncos are NOT going to run more than they pass this season. Manning will get close to 4,000 yards passing and 25-30 passing TDs. He won't lead the league in passing. He may not even be in the top 5. But, it's going to be much more passing than we're used to seeing in recent years because Manning is a better passer than anybody to wear the Broncos uniform since John Elway.

Um, who has said we will run more than pass? I think you are the first person to mention that notion. We will definitely pass more, but I don't think it will be anything more than 60-40 at most. The year the Colts won the Super Bowl, they were 56-44 run/pass. Manning is at his absolute best when he has a good running game behind him that supplements his deadly play-action game. I don't think even Manning as suggested that Denver will run more than pass, but he is suggesting, and rightfully so, that the running game will be a strong priority.

NightTerror218
06-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Um, who has said we will run more than pass? I think you are the first person to mention that notion. We will definitely pass more, but I don't think it will be anything more than 60-40 at most. The year the Colts won the Super Bowl, they were 56-44 run/pass. Manning is at his absolute best when he has a good running game behind him that supplements his deadly play-action game. I don't think even Manning as suggested that Denver will run more than pass, but he is suggesting, and rightfully so, that the running game will be a strong priority.

I think it will be 55-45 with lots of play action passes. Since we do have a respectable ground game.

BroncoWave
06-18-2012, 12:39 PM
I think it will be 55-45 with lots of play action passes. Since we do have a respectable ground game.

I agree. I think that will give us our best shot to win if we are around that ratio with an effective run game. If we're having to pass 60+ of the time to win games I don't know if that's the recipe for success. Peyton had his worst season in Indy (other than rookie) when he had to pass it so much his last year in Indy.