PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign Brandon Lloyd

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 05:02 PM
The Broncos have signed Brandon Lloyd per a twitter post from both the Denver Broncos and the Denver Post.

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Well it was nice knowing you Brandon

SOB

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 05:05 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9104

Broncos Sign Lloyd

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. --The Denver Broncos on Monday signed free-agent wide receiver Brandon Lloyd, it was announced. As per club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Lloyd is a seventh-year wide receiver who joins the Broncos after playing for Chicago, Washington and San Francisco. He entered the NFL with the 49ers as a fourth-round choice in the 2003 NFL Draft from the University of Illinois.

In 79 career regular-season games with 47 starts, Lloyd has totaled 156 receptions for 2,253 yards with 15 touchdowns. He owns four 100-yard receiving games and has started at least 12 games in a season three times for his NFL career.

Lloyd saw time in 11 games with five starts for the Bears in 2008, registering 26 receptions for 364 yards with two touchdowns. He started all four of Chicago’s games in September, posting a team-high 249 receiving yards on 15 catches that ranked 20th in the NFL while tying for eighth in the league in yards per reception during that time.

The wide receiver registered consecutive seasons with at least 40 receptions and 500 receiving yards for the 49ers from 2004-05, starting 28-of-29 games played for the club over that period. He set career highs in catches with 48 and receiving yards with 733 for San Francisco in 2005 after hauling in a personal-best six receiving touchdowns for the 49ers in 2004.

At Illinois, Lloyd was a two-time All-Big Ten Conference selection who finished his collegiate career ranked second in school history in both receiving yards with 2,583 and receiving touchdowns with 21. Lloyd, whose 160 career receptions placed third in school annals, became the second player in Illinois history to post two 1,000-yard receiving seasons.

An all-state selection at Blue Springs High School in Blue Springs, Mo., Brandon Lloyd was born on July 5, 1981.

BroncoWave
06-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Hmm, interesting...

Benetto
06-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Great...Brandons gone...This pretty much makes it official.

Llyod is a horrible route runner..Just capable of the big play every now and then. I can see him playing a few games, then being benched on the count of not being able to absorb and execute his complex playbook.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Someone posted that the Broncos were going to sign him the other day on Broncomania and they got drilled. Haha, guess dude was right.

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Lloyd has been known to party like Pac Man Jones.

I bet Cutler is sorry he left now.

NightTrainLayne
06-15-2009, 05:12 PM
Great...Brandons gone...This pretty much makes it official.

Llyod is a horrible route runner..Just capable of the big play every now and then. I can see him playing a few games, then being benched on the count of not being able to absorb and execute his complex playbook.

Nah. . .this just shows BM exactly how much leverage he has. .. virtually none. We can cut Lloyd in a heartbeat if BM comes back. This is a big boys game. If BM wants to play hardball, the Broncos can too.

BroncoWave
06-15-2009, 05:13 PM
I have to ask though...With Marvin Harrison on the market, why sign Lloyd? Surely Harrison could be had for a decent price at this point and I can't imagine him being worse than Lloyd.

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Cutler and Marshall for Orton, Lloyd, a nickle corner and a pick to be named later

**** me

Requiem / The Dagda
06-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Because Lloyd and Orton played with each other in Chicago. (Hehe.) That is why he was signed.

underrated29
06-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Someone posted that the Broncos were going to sign him the other day on Broncomania and they got drilled. Haha, guess dude was right.

I was going to say the same thing..... Thats weird how that guy knew that. I thought he was a bears fan too.

Weird. Because he did post that like on the 11th or 12th.

Magnificent Seven
06-15-2009, 05:33 PM
AWWW COME ON!!!!!! Brandon Lloyd Sucks!!!!

Magnificent Seven
06-15-2009, 05:39 PM
AWWW COME ON!!!!!! Brandon Lloyd Sucks!!!!

They should get either Marvin Harrison or Anquan Boldin.

BroncoWave
06-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Maybe he thought only 2 Brandons in our WR corps wasn't enough!

elsid13
06-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Exact quote from Lloyd on the George Thompson show in DC about why he wanted to come to play for the Redskins. - "Because I going to get PAID!" The guy is ass and worthless

Lonestar
06-15-2009, 06:45 PM
by Adam Caplan of ScoutNFLNetwork.com, June 15, 2009 at 6:26pm ET

Brandon Lloyd Profile

The Denver Broncos have signed free-agent WR Brandon Lloyd, the team announced on Monday. Terms of the deal weren't disclosed.

Lloyd (6-foot-0, 194 pounds) is a seventh-year wide receiver who joins the Broncos after playing for Chicago (2008), Washington (2006-07) and San Francisco (2003-05). He entered the NFL with the 49ers as a fourth-round choice (124th overall) in the 2003 NFL Draft from the University of Illinois.

In 79 career regular-season games (47 starts), Lloyd has totaled 156 receptions for 2,253 yards (14.4 avg.) with 15 touchdowns. He owns four 100-yard receiving games and has started at least 12 games in a season three times for his NFL career.

Lloyd saw time in 11 games (5 starts) with the Bears in 2008, registering 26 receptions for 364 yards (14.0 avg.) with two touchdowns. He started all four of Chicago’s games in September, posting a team-high 249 receiving yards (15 catches) that ranked 20th in the NFL while tying for eighth in the league in yards per reception (16.6) during that time.

The wide receiver registered consecutive seasons with at least 40 receptions and 500 receiving yards for the 49ers from 2004-05, starting 28-of-29 games played for the club over that period. He set career highs in catches (48) and receiving yards (733) for San Francisco in 2005 after hauling in a personal-best six receiving touchdowns for the 49ers in 2004.

At Illinois, Lloyd was a two-time All-Big Ten Conference selection who finished his collegiate career ranked second in school history in both receiving yards (2,583) and receiving touchdowns (21). Lloyd, whose 160 career receptions placed third in school annals, became the second player in Illinois history to post two 1,000-yard receiving seasons.

Denver was looking for a veteran receiver to add to their roster. They lost out on Houston's David Anderson earlier in free agency, who Denver tendered a restricted free agent offersheet, but the Texans wound up matching it.

http://den.scout.com/a.z?s=101&p=9&c=2&cid=872561&nid=3642475&fhn=1&refid=400

broncofaninfla
06-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Brandon Lloyd sucks, no way he is being groomed to take Marshalls place

Lonestar
06-15-2009, 06:55 PM
since they were trying to get the kid from HOU before, maybe they know that something is still wrong with Marshall's hip or hand or maybe both..

getting some more insurance..

time will tell

BroncoWave
06-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Brandon Lloyd sucks, no way he is being groomed to take Marshalls place

Yeah, he was probably signed to be plugged into that 4th spot since Gaffney would likely move up to starter along with Royal.

Lonestar
06-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Yeah, he was probably signed to be plugged into that 4th spot since Gaffney would likely move up to starter along with Royal.

yet I remember seeing something somewhere about Hillis takes snaps as a WR also.. along with TE, RB, ST, FB.. surprised if they did not make him a BU LB while they are at it..

Also wonder how many gunner could take him down on Punt returns..:laugh::laugh:

BroncoWave
06-15-2009, 07:03 PM
yet I remember seeing something somewhere about Hillis takes snaps as a WR also.. along with TE, RB, ST, FB.. surprised if they did not make him a BU LB while they are at it..

Also wonder how many gunner could take him down on Punt returns..:laugh::laugh:

That's fine by me. The more Hillis is on the field, the better. Since he probably won't get very many snaps at RB due to Moreno, his versatility will definitely help to keep him on the field.

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 07:12 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80b065f3/Kyle-Orton-Highlight-WK-03-vs-Buccaneers-2008

elsid13
06-15-2009, 07:32 PM
since they were trying to get the kid from HOU before, maybe they know that something is still wrong with Marshall's hip or hand or maybe both..

getting some more insurance..

time will tell

Anderson (Hou) was being brought in to take Stokely's place. I wouldn't be surprised if Denver cuts Stokely before camp.

horsepig
06-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Posturing.

Superchop 7
06-15-2009, 08:11 PM
The train wreck is complete.

anton...
06-15-2009, 08:21 PM
They should get either Marvin Harrison or Anquan Boldin.

i think they want to keep marshall, and they can pay lloyd league minimum and not care if he stays or gets cut again...

lloyd is a bargaining chip, telling brandon he isnt needed by the team and like all players can be replaced...

to sign marvin, you have to pay him good money, thats all that he is after right now... so if we get him, pay him the $4-5 mil for 1 year, and then keep marshall who wont be happy until we pay him, we will be screwed with the cap...

Buff
06-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Anderson (Hou) was being brought in to take Stokely's place. I wouldn't be surprised if Denver cuts Stokely before camp.

Stokley's not going anywhere.

Reworked deal relief to Stokley
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/04/2009 12:30:00 AM MST

Even before they acquired Jabar Gaffney and signed David Anderson to an offer sheet, and before they knew Brandon Marshall would get into trouble, the Broncos decided to bring back veteran slot receiver Brandon Stokley.

Stokley's return was ensured Feb. 27, in the hours before the opening of NFL free agency, when the Broncos and Stokley agreed to roll his $500,000 unguaranteed roster bonus into his 2009 salary. Then they agreed to guarantee $560,000 of his $1.41 million salary for this season. So Stokley is back, despite the crowd at receiver.

"When you bring a new coach in, you just never know," Stokley said. "I wasn't sure until I signed that new contract that I was going to be here for another year."

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_11830461?source=rss

dogfish
06-15-2009, 08:34 PM
ech. . . brandon lloyd blows. . . dude has bigtime alligator arms, completely unreliable hands, and a gigantic ego. . . he's as soft as they come-- no competitiveness at all. . . .

Lonestar
06-15-2009, 10:47 PM

You are joking right?

OrangeHoof
06-15-2009, 10:58 PM
This sort of reminds me of when the Astros lost Nolan Ryan in free agency so they rushed right out and signed Jim Clancy to "replace" him. Clancy then produced a 9-25 record with a 5.02 ERA over 2-1/2 seasons.

McDiapers just keeps digging himself deeper holes.

SoCalImport
06-16-2009, 03:22 AM
Why does the word "replacement" keep being mentioned. No way no how is Lloyd a "replacement" for Marshal.
Not in talent (obviously) not in reps in camp, not in McD's scheme, not on the depth chart. Lloyd is another body at wr, and possibly a statement to Marshal and his agent.That is all.

RedFalcon
06-16-2009, 04:09 AM
So...this means that Marshall's gone? Because I really don't get it. Why signing Lloyd when you already have enough WRs at the team.

Lonestar
06-16-2009, 05:08 AM
So...this means that Marshall's gone? Because I really don't get it. Why signing Lloyd when you already have enough WRs at the team.
It would be called insurance in case he does indeed get traded they would want another. veteran WR to be on staff although they do have several rookies. Rookies usually do not contribute much the first year.

Nature Boy
06-16-2009, 06:10 AM
I hope McDummass does not think Brando Lloyd is Marshall's replacement.

RedFalcon
06-16-2009, 06:11 AM
Well, Eddie Royal's contribution in his rookie year was huge...almost 1,000 yards receiving. Anyway... Why would anyone consider Marshall being traded? I was away for a few days, but since coming back home, I have not read any news saying something like Marshall getting traded... Is this for real?

sneakers
06-16-2009, 06:26 AM
Yay! We are saved!

CoachChaz
06-16-2009, 06:38 AM
1. What the hell does any of this have to do with McDaniels?

2. The slot guy in this offense is going to see the majority of work anyway. The outside guys are secondary. By that rationale...Royal is our #1.

Traveler
06-16-2009, 08:16 AM
McDiapers just keeps digging himself deeper holes.

Exactly what does he have to do with this situation?

Also, what's up with play on McDaniels' name? Kind of childish IMO (not that it would matter to you or others who do this).

nevcraw
06-16-2009, 08:45 AM
The train wreck is complete.

Come on now.. there is plenty of time to screw this up further before opening weekend.. give'em a little credit..

Dortoh
06-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Exactly what does he have to do with this situation?

Also, what's up with play on McDaniels' name? Kind of childish IMO (not that it would matter to you or others who do this).

Its a sign of our affection for McDoogie

G_Money
06-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Not the guy I would have signed, but it's fine. First move in this Marshall situation. I still expect Brandon Marshall to be here for training camp once he can actually run, and that this 3 day holdout was a statement. Maybe he won't show, but not allowing other NFL teams to see he's healthy would be massively foolish on his part and his agent's part.

I would prefer that the new Brandon never see the field, but McKinley is unlikely to be anybody this year (Royal is the exception, not the rule) so more bodies are needed, even just for training camp. And Orton knows him, so there's some comfort factor there for a QB trying to get his job straight. As long as New-Brandon can learn a giant playbook really fast, anyway.

Hopefully Grumpy-Brandon feels his statement has been made and once real training camp starts and he CAN actually take the field (since he can't now) he'll get his ass to Mars...er, camp.

If not, then he's just gonna sit at home and lose money, because we have no reason to trade him and every reason not to.

~G

Northman
06-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Lloyd is just an insurance policy. Much ado about nothing.

LRtagger
06-16-2009, 10:27 AM
I would prefer that the new Brandon never see the field, but McKinley is unlikely to be anybody this year (Royal is the exception, not the rule) so more bodies are needed, even just for training camp. And Orton knows him, so there's some comfort factor there for a QB trying to get his job straight. As long as New-Brandon can learn a giant playbook really fast, anyway.

Finally someone with some logic.

Marshall is not going anywhere. He would be an idiot to continue an extended holdout after admittedly having hand and hip issues. I understand that he is unhappy with the Broncos training staff and unhappy that he is making less money than his peers, but as mentioned in another article - he has no leverage.

We needed to bring in another WR for camp purposes. You are one WR short in camp, you need to have that extra guy for drills, etc. So, we signed a guy that is familiar with Orton. This is actually a very smart move by McD/Xanders. Unfortunately a lot of people are so hung up on McD being an idiot, that they can't look at this signing objectively.

LLOYD IS NOT REPLACING MARSHALL - PERIOD. He is a body to run drills until Marshall pulls his head out of his ass.

Gamechanger
06-16-2009, 10:28 AM
he has some chemistry with Orton right?

Dortoh
06-16-2009, 10:34 AM
FWIW this was posted by a chiefs fan who I've known for along time. While we dont exactly get along he is usually on the up and up

"Played HS ball with Lloyd. The guy is just an incredible all around athlete. Really impressive...he can make big time highlight reel catches but he is a diva. He seems way to hung up on trying to be a rapper and just doesn't put much heart into the game. If your staff could motivate this guy you have a big time playmaker wearing blue and orange. That is just a big if..."

Dortoh
06-16-2009, 10:36 AM
also apparently his nickname in Washington was 50/50 since that was his catch to drop ratio LMAO

LRtagger
06-16-2009, 10:37 AM
also apparently his nickname in Washington was 50/50 since that was his catch to drop ratio LMAO

Well, then maybe is actually IS Marshall's replacement.

Gamechanger
06-16-2009, 10:38 AM
FWIW this was posted by a chiefs fan who I've known for along time. While we dont exactly get along he is usually on the up and up

"Played HS ball with Lloyd. The guy is just an incredible all around athlete. Really impressive...he can make big time highlight reel catches but he is a diva. He seems way to hung up on trying to be a rapper and just doesn't put much heart into the game. If your staff could motivate this guy you have a big time playmaker wearing blue and orange. That is just a big if..."

MC Drop?

roomemp
06-16-2009, 10:39 AM
For all of you McDaniels haters, I have news for you. He is staying out of it from what it sounds like. This is between Marshall and the FO. Also, even if McDaniels was personally shopping him you should not be suprised. Remember Shanny. He made everyone honor their contract no matter what. If you didn't, you were history ala Portis. Shanny would have probably traded Marshall already if he put up this beef.

Dortoh
06-16-2009, 10:40 AM
MC Drop?

LMMFAO :lol:

Northman
06-16-2009, 10:41 AM

The only problem is Lloyd has a history of underachieving wherever he goes. Maybe he starts to perform like he is supposed too but im not holding my breath.

Dortoh
06-16-2009, 10:42 AM
For all of you McDaniels haters, I have news for you. He is staying out of it from what it sounds like. This is between Marshall and the FO. Also, even if McDaniels was personally shopping him you should not be suprised. Remember Shanny. He made everyone honor their contract no matter what. If you didn't, you were history ala Portis. Shanny would have probably traded Marshall already if he put up this beef.

Honestly I'm starting to dislike McDoogie but he is not going anywhere soon. Remember Bowlin is still paying Shanny for the next 3 years unless he gets a new coaching gig. McDoogie has a 4 year contract and there is no way Bowlin is going to be paying 3 HC's at the same time.

I'll hope for the best I guess.

Dortoh
06-16-2009, 10:44 AM
The only problem is Lloyd has a history of underachieving wherever he goes. Maybe he starts to perform like he is supposed too but im not holding my breath.

He is pure trash IMO

When asked why he went to Washington I guess he said "to get paid"

That pretty much sums up this cat.

underrated29
06-16-2009, 11:06 AM

So what you guys are saying is he is Mcxanders version of Randy moss here?

Northman
06-16-2009, 11:27 AM
So what you guys are saying is he is Mcxanders version of Randy moss here?

Not sure i would go that far. Moss has at least done something in the league on more than one occasion. Brandon however....

broncofaninfla
06-16-2009, 12:03 PM
I bet Lloyd doesn't even make the team after final cuts

Traveler
06-16-2009, 12:39 PM
I bet Lloyd doesn't even make the team after final cuts

I bet he doesn't make past the initial round of cuts.

elsid13
06-16-2009, 05:54 PM

He staying out of publicly. But that doesn't mean he not sitting/discussing this with Bowlen, Xanders and others behind close doors. Plus Shanahan also had strong history of resigning players that performed way above their contract the summer before their deal ran out. Portis was traded because he was not halfway through his contract.

dogfish
06-16-2009, 06:16 PM
He staying out of publicly. But that doesn't mean he not sitting/discussing this with Bowlen, Xanders and others behind close doors. Plus Shanahan also had strong history of resigning players that performed way above their contract the summer before their deal ran out. Portis was traded because he was not halfway through his contract.

yep. . . maybe they've wisely decided to preserve what little public image doogie has left after cutlergate, but thinking that the head coach isn't heavily involved in ALL personnel decisions is just being naive. . . .

lex
06-16-2009, 06:23 PM

Portis was also a different case because Shanahan had succumbed to the hubris where running back is concerned. In other words, that is around the time he really demonstrated in an over the top way that he believed that he didnt need talent at RB and that he could use any scrub. This approach was specific to a position. If anything, Shanahan would have been more apt to sign Marshall after what happened with Nash and Lelie. Shanahan was all about making Jay statistically successful. Just look at the 08 draft.

elsid13
06-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Portis was also a different case because Shanahan had succumbed to the hubris where running back is concerned. In other words, that is around the time he really demonstrated in an over the top way that he believed that he didnt need talent at RB and that he could use any scrub. This approach was specific to a position. If anything, Shanahan would have been more apt to sign Marshall after what happened with Nash and Lelie. Shanahan was all about making Jay statistically successful. Just look at the 08 draft.

It wasn't about making Jay statistically success. It was because Shanahan felt he had the key element of winning elite franchise, the trigger man that could make plays when the play broke down.

lex
06-16-2009, 07:19 PM
It wasn't about making Jay statistically success. It was because Shanahan felt he had the key element of winning elite franchise, the trigger man that could make plays when the play broke down.

I just said it that way because Shanahan could have emphasized the running game more in the draft but chose to augment the passing game first. Again,...the hubris.

elsid13
06-16-2009, 07:23 PM
I just said it that way because Shanahan could have emphasized the running game more in the draft but chose to augment the passing game first. Again,...the hubris.

Lex

He drafted a 2nd rounder running back - Bell, had MA on roster and brought in Henry. Doesn't look like forgot the running game. The problem was the injuries.

lex
06-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Lex

He drafted a 2nd rounder running back - Bell, had MA on roster and brought in Henry. Doesn't look like forgot the running game. The problem was the injuries.

He drafted Bell after he casted Portis aside. A bird in the hand is worth more than one in the bush.

BroncoWave
06-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, your newest member of the Denver Broncos! :lol:

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/5785/blduck.gif