PDA

View Full Version : Dear Broncos: Just pay Brandon Marshall already

Lonestar
06-15-2009, 04:44 PM
By MJD
At first glance, Brandon Marshall(notes) doesn't seem like a guy in a great position to stage a contract holdout. He's had offseason surgery on his hip and has had so many legal run-ins that he should be thankful the league hasn't suspended him and that he has a chance to play at all.

You wouldn't think Marshall was a guy with a lot of leverage. And he might not be, if he played for any team but the Denver Broncos.

They're in worse shape than Marshall. It's June, and they just named Kyle Orton(notes) their starting quarterback. No disrespect intended to Orton, but if he's going to be your quarterback, you'd at least hope that it was a last-minute decision made out of desperation two or three hours before kickoff of the first regular season game. When the calendar says June, and Kyle Orton is already far and away your best hope, that's not good.

It only gets worse for the Broncos if Marshall walks out the door. He met with Broncos owner Pat Bolen on Friday, missed all the weekend's mandatory workouts, and left with all his stuff packed in boxes. That doesn't sound like a guy who plans to be back anytime soon.

If you put Marshall's off-the-field stuff to the side for a moment, he can make a damn compelling case for a raise. He caught 102 balls in 2007 for over 1,300 yards, and he caught 104 balls last year for over 1,250 yards. He's scheduled to make just over $2 million this season.

By NFL standards, that is criminal underpayment. Wide receivers who made in the $2 million range last year include Dante Hall(notes), Dennis Northcutt(notes), Bobby Wade(notes), and Ronald Curry(notes) If someone hosted a Brandon Marshall telethon, I'd be tempted to call and donate.

The Broncos also took his favorite toy, Jay Cutler(notes), away from him, so you'd think they might want to throw him a bone and keep him happy.

I don't know what the Broncos intend to do, other than fine Marshall as much as they can for missing mandatory workouts. It's too early in the proceedings to talk about trading him, but you look at what Denver's already done in the offseason, and it doesn't seem out of the question. The organization seems hellbent on getting into a rebuilding mode.

My advice to the Broncos would be to pay the man, pay him quickly, and pay him well. He's as talented a receiver as exists in the NFL. He's young. He is the one proven offensive weapon on the roster. Kyle Orton needs him. Getting Marshall happy and onto the field might be the last chance the organization has to say to the other players, "Yes, we have some intention of winning in 2009."

If not, the message they send -- and have been sending all offseason long -- is, "Guys, thanks for being here. We hope to make the playoffs in, oh, I don't know ... 2011 or so. You'll probably be gone by then. Help yourself to a complimentary refrigerator magnet schedule."
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Dear-Broncos-Just-pay-Brandon-Marshall-already?urn=nfl,170297

WARHORSE
06-15-2009, 07:32 PM
No mention of off the field issues.

Good bye.

jrelway
06-15-2009, 07:44 PM
just pay the ******* a sum of guaranteed money and stip the rest if he gets into trouble.

horsepig
06-15-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm gonna say it one more time. Give the guy some $$ for what ha has already done.

It does not have to break the bank but, he should be rewarded. If he is not, then what the hell does that tell the rest of the pklayers?

It's been said adinfinitum over several threads. Good player, bad off field guy.

Give him a frickin bone. I don't see him catching more than 80 balls this year, if he's completely healthy and plays all 16 games.

What his value is: "What the hell do we do with BM on one side ande Eddie r> on the other. Syokely and Gaffney and Scheffler and Hillis and Moreno?"!

Good Lord, ewhat Elway would have given.

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 09:22 PM
I'm gonna say it one more time. Give the guy some $$ for what ha has already done.

It does not have to break the bank but, he should be rewarded. If he is not, then what the hell does that tell the rest of the pklayers?

It's been said adinfinitum over several threads. Good player, bad off field guy.

Give him a frickin bone. I don't see him catching more than 80 balls this year, if he's completely healthy and plays all 16 games.

What his value is: "What the hell do we do with BM on one side ande Eddie r> on the other. Syokely and Gaffney and Scheffler and Hillis and Moreno?"!

Good Lord, ewhat Elway would have given.

Well, see...here's the problem...Marshall isn't going to accept not "breaking the bank"...

Northman
06-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Chances are he was already offered a raise and declined. Either that or there was some stipulations on incentives and what not that he probably didnt like. This is basically what it has come down too, we have to cut ties to pretty much all of Shanny's toys which will probably mean Sheffie will be out soon as well. Even though it didnt seem like we needed to do much it has turned out that McD wants HIS guys doing it HIS way. See ya Brandon, good luck wherever you land.

Italianmobstr7
06-15-2009, 09:29 PM
I can't believe fans actually want to get rid of Brandon Marshall... It makes absolutely no sense to me. I could care less what he does off of the field. I root for the guy and the team that goes on the field. He's had some mistakes, and run-in's but has only missed 1 game because of his off the field trouble. Point blank, the Broncos are a better team with Brandon Marshall. He is nicknamed "The Beast" for a reason. If we get rid of him, I don't even know... It'll be a very very hard pill to swallow...

Northman
06-15-2009, 09:32 PM
I can't believe fans actually want to get rid of Brandon Marshall... It makes absolutely no sense to me. I could care less what he does off of the field. I root for the guy and the team that goes on the field. He's had some mistakes, and run-in's but has only missed 1 game because of his off the field trouble. Point blank, the Broncos are a better team with Brandon Marshall. He is nicknamed "The Beast" for a reason. If we get rid of him, I don't even know... It'll be a very very hard pill to swallow...

I think your misunderstanding them then. Its not a WANTING to get rid of them. Its wanting them to actually want to be here. As for the off field issues? You should care. Because in this day and age what you do off the field affects your status on the field. The more trouble he gets into the more time he isnt around to do shit for this team so you should care. Denver would be a better team with Brandon and Jay. No doubt about it. However, both have now shown they dont want to be here and this is my team i root for. Your either with us or against us.

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 09:33 PM

There's no doubt we're a better team with him on the field, but there's a lot of whining going on from the prima donna. One player is gone because of his whining, and another, who faces possible suspensions, repeatedly, is trying to hold out. He needs to leave if he's going to act like a child. Don't call out my fandom of the team because I believe a player is in the wrong.

He's a ******* spouse-beater, punk who pretty much got Darrent Williams killed because of his actions, and he hasn't grown up since. I could care less what he thinks or believes, he needs to report to ******* camp, and do his damn job.

At first, I believed the rehabilitation bullshit, and that he should be with his doctor. I was wrong, and I'll admit it.

Actually coming to Denver, meeting with Bowlen and then NOT sticking around for OTAs and meetings is just plain childish. The same type of shit that Cutler pulled.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-15-2009, 09:40 PM
In all fairness to Brandon, many athletes have had their contracts redone in the final year of it, and it probably should have been done with Brandon, rather than him having to bring it up, and pushing the issue. If his off-field issues stood in the way of the Broncos redoing his contract, there could have been language put in the new contract addressing that.

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 09:42 PM
In all fairness to Brandon, many athletes have had their contracts redone in the final year of it, and it probably should have been done with Brandon, rather than him having to bring it up, and pushing the issue. If his off-field issues stood in the way of the Broncos redoing his contract, there could have been language put in the new contract addressing that.

A.) The language in the contract is probably why he's refusing the contract.

And...

B.) He is bringing it up in a bad time, with no leverage. Quit beating up your damn girlfriends, and we'll talk, mmmkay. There is absolutely NO reason for the Broncos to even discuss a lucrative, long-term contract with a player who might be facing a suspension.

Italianmobstr7
06-15-2009, 09:50 PM
I think your misunderstanding them then. Its not a WANTING to get rid of them. Its wanting them to actually want to be here. As for the off field issues? You should care. Because in this day and age what you do off the field affects your status on the field. The more trouble he gets into the more time he isnt around to do shit for this team so you should care. Denver would be a better team with Brandon and Jay. No doubt about it. However, both have now shown they dont want to be here and this is my team i root for. Your either with us or against us.

There are many fans I've seen that are saying that they hope he leaves... If him getting in trouble actually resulted in a more than 1 game suspension then I would care. But he's only missed 1 game. He's a top receiver in the game. If he wants to be paid, then freaking pay him!

There's no doubt we're a better team with him on the field, but there's a lot of whining going on from the prima donna. One player is gone because of his whining, and another, who faces possible suspensions, repeatedly, is trying to hold out. He needs to leave if he's going to act like a child. Don't call out my fandom of the team because I believe a player is in the wrong.

He's a ******* spouse-beater, punk who pretty much got Darrent Williams killed because of his actions, and he hasn't grown up since. I could care less what he thinks or believes, he needs to report to ******* camp, and do his damn job.

At first, I believed the rehabilitation bullshit, and that he should be with his doctor. I was wrong, and I'll admit it.

Actually coming to Denver, meeting with Bowlen and then NOT sticking around for OTAs and meetings is just plain childish. The same type of shit that Cutler pulled.

Players whine all the time. Anquan Boldin whines, but I bet you would take him on the Broncos... I never called out ANYBODY'S fandom. I just said that I was surprised I've seen that so many people want him gone.

Goodell has already said that he is not being suspended. Also, the Broncos told him 2 times last year that his hip was fine, when clearly it wasn't. I'd be pissed too. He's asking for more money because he deserves more money. BTW, you weren't there when D-Will was killed so I think it's pretty wrong of you to put that on him. None of us know what happened for sure. Also, nothing shows that he has EVER touched one of his spouses.

I do agree that I don't like him holding out and that he needs to get to camp. But he also deserves a new contract, so hopefully he'll get one soon.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-15-2009, 09:52 PM
A.) The language in the contract is probably why he's refusing the contract.

And...

B.) He is bringing it up in a bad time, with no leverage. Quit beating up your damn girlfriends, and we'll talk, mmmkay. There is absolutely NO reason for the Broncos to even discuss a lucrative, long-term contract with a player who might be facing a suspension.

If he receives a suspension, he will not get paid regardless of how lucrative of a contract he has.

BroncoWave
06-15-2009, 09:55 PM
There are many fans I've seen that are saying that they hope he leaves... If him getting in trouble actually resulted in a more than 1 game suspension then I would care. But he's only missed 1 game. He's a top receiver in the game. If he wants to be paid, then freaking pay him!

You do realize it won't just be a 1 game penalty every time he screws up? Next time he screws up (and really, based in his history do you really think he is going to change?) he's gone for at least 4 and probably 8 games. I honestly can't fathom how you don't care at all about his off-field issues.

MOtorboat
Players whine all the time. Anquan Boldin whines, but I bet you would take him on the Broncos... I never called out ANYBODY'S fandom. I just said that I was surprised I've seen that so many people want him gone.

Goodell has already said that he is not being suspended. Also, the Broncos told him 2 times last year that his hip was fine, when clearly it wasn't. I'd be pissed too. He's asking for more money because he deserves more money. BTW, you weren't there when D-Will was killed so I think it's pretty wrong of you to put that on him. None of us know what happened for sure. Also, nothing shows that he has EVER touched one of his spouses.

I do agree that I don't like him holding out and that he needs to get to camp. But he also deserves a new contract, so hopefully he'll get one soon.

I don't want him gone. None of us WANT him gone. So lets get that out of the way. But, if he continues with his off-the-field problems, then sa la vie.

No, Goodell has said he won't get suspended for the incident with the fiance. As I have now pointed out three times, he still may face suspension regarding the trial he is facing.

I'm not putting it on him, but I've read enough reports that Brandon Marshall and his cousin caused the fight by spraying champagne all over the damn club, and then not backing down from the confrontation to know that Brandon Marshall was heavily involved in his death because of his utter stupidity. You know, kind of like repeatedly beating your women.

True. I have little patience for this dude.

True. I like him as a player.

Let's distinguish between the two.

BroncoWave

Also, Anquan Boldin doesn't beat up his girlfriend every 3 months. Huge difference.

Italianmobstr7
06-16-2009, 01:07 AM
You do realize it won't just be a 1 game penalty every time he screws up? Next time he screws up (and really, based in his history do you really think he is going to change?) he's gone for at least 4 and probably 8 games. I honestly can't fathom how you don't care at all about his off-field issues.

I don't think he'll be screwing up any more. I think he's learned his lesson. I also don't think he ever hit his gf. That's my opinion. We weren't there. We don't know what happened. NOTHING has been proven to say that he ever hit his gf. I care about what he does off the field, but not enough to not give him a new contract. I care about what he does on the field, and on the field he's been great for the most part.

I don't want him gone. None of us WANT him gone. So lets get that out of the way. But, if he continues with his off-the-field problems, then sa la vie.

No, Goodell has said he won't get suspended for the incident with the fiance. As I have now pointed out three times, he still may face suspension regarding the trial he is facing.

I'm not putting it on him, but I've read enough reports that Brandon Marshall and his cousin caused the fight by spraying champagne all over the damn club, and then not backing down from the confrontation to know that Brandon Marshall was heavily involved in his death because of his utter stupidity. You know, kind of like repeatedly beating your women.

True. I have little patience for this dude.

True. I like him as a player.

Let's distinguish between the two.

That's right, I do remember Goodell saying he was out of clear about the last incident but there was nothing about the trial yet. Even if Marshall started the incident that led to Williams death, does not mean anything and should not be held against him at all. If someone is angry enough to KILL someone over being sprayed with champagne then there is something wrong with that person. At that time (and now) Brandon was young. People make mistakes, especially when alcohol is involved. If he would have known that spraying those guys with champagne and then arguing with them would have got a friend of his killed, he would've never done it.

And again, nothing has been proven to say that he's EVER hit a woman.

I agree that he's been an idiot off the field for the most part. I also feel like he did a great job last year with the exception of the 1 incident that was completely thrown out and dismissed. I think Brandon has learned his lesson. I doubt he gets in to any more trouble. I also think it's messed up that the Broncos training staff lied to him about his bum hip. With a messed up arm and a messed up hip he still put up gaudy numbers last year. He's one of only a handful of people who have ever had 2 100 catch seasons back to back. He's only going in to his 4th season. To trade this guy would be absolutely ridiculous. Give him his freaking contract, and give it to him NOW.

MadMax
06-16-2009, 07:30 AM
It seems like a lot of people forget that we were in contract negotiations with Marshall back in February which we halted as soon as a he got arrested again. If he would have kept his nose clean like he promised he would have a new contract. I don't want to see Marshall gone, but can the broncos finally play some %&$!ing hardball for once? Tell his ass he can play for us or spend the year sitting in orlando. With his hip surgery he isn't going to get jack **** for money if he sits out an offseason and then plays half-heartedly through the year. If the bengals managed to keep from trading Mr. Ochocinco we can get out of this without trading marshall.

Nomad
06-16-2009, 07:37 AM
It seems like a lot of people forget that we were in contract negotiations with Marshall back in February which we halted as soon as a he got arrested again. If he would have kept his nose clean like he promised he would have a new contract. I don't want to see Marshall gone, but can the broncos finally play some %&$!ing hardball for once? Tell his ass he can play for us or spend the year sitting in orlando. With his hip surgery he isn't going to get jack **** for money if he sits out an offseason and then plays half-heartedly through the year. If the bengals managed to keep from trading Mr. Ochocinco we can get out of this without trading marshall.

True! It's just easier to blame McDaniels instead of Marshall or other players being responsible for his/their actions. I don't know of any employer that would give a pay raise if the employee is not reliable. And good thing the Pro Bowl is selected in the middle of the season because Wiegmann would have been the only one going if it was voted on after the season (bought this up because Marshall is supposedly a Pro Bowl WR then again I was told many months ago the Pro Bowl is a joke;)).

Tned
06-16-2009, 07:57 AM
Ok, now look at the flip side. Marshall's production at WR has been near the elite level, but he is being paid like guys like Greg Eslinger were paid, or Wesley Woodyard, or Paul Ernster, Brian Clark, Andre Hall, Selvin Young, Anthony Aldridge, etc.

Marshall has been making the same as late round or undrafted free agents, yet nobody can make a case that he and those other players are at the same level.

So, on the one hand, he signed a contract, and holding out is wrong. Bottom line, players need to honor their contract. However, at the same time, let's not disregard the fact that Marshall knows he is WAY underpaid no matter how you look at it.

pnbronco
06-16-2009, 08:22 AM

I find it interesting that Scheff was suppose to be gone but he got over Cutler being traded, showed up and has stayed for all the OTA's. He is still on the team as today and he's one of Jay's best friends. It sounds like Sheff is doing what the coaches are asking and doing his best to stay on this team. When he broke his foot a couple of years ago it really set him back but IMO he has fought through his injuries and has worked hard.

Brandon was arrested in Feb for a incident with a different women. So that had to send up red flags. None of us know what's going to happen with the DUI. Didn't Paymah get suspended for his DUI that happened like 2 years before his suspension? If Brandon's new contract has "off field" clauses in it then Brandon needs to grow up and show he's willing to walk the walk and sign it. I do hope he comes back, he has some real talent but he needs to protect that talent and grow up.

pnbronco
06-16-2009, 08:35 AM
Ok, now look at the flip side. Marshall's production at WR has been near the elite level, but he is being paid like guys like Greg Eslinger were paid, or Wesley Woodyard, or Paul Ernster, Brian Clark, Andre Hall, Selvin Young, Anthony Aldridge, etc.

Marshall has been making the same as late round or undrafted free agents, yet nobody can make a case that he and those other players are at the same level.

So, on the one hand, he signed a contract, and holding out is wrong. Bottom line, players need to honor their contract. However, at the same time, let's not disregard the fact that Marshall knows he is WAY underpaid no matter how you look at it.

Tned you are so right about his talent and that in this day and age and with his talent he is underpaid. The problem is IMO that Brandon has hurt himself with his off the field issues. I think he would have a new contract if he didn't have the issue in Feb along with the DUI.

The world is a different place than it was a year ago. People that are really good at their job are having a tough time keeping them. I know that my business is scary down to the point that I'm going to have to make some major changes to keep it going. So my tolerance with Brandon has gone down. I would love to see him stay he has such talent but only if he shows that he really is growing up and is willing to be accountable for his actions, like a incentive filled contract.

Ravage!!!
06-16-2009, 10:25 AM
just can't compare the NFL contracts with the working place of the everyday man.

Ravage!!!
06-16-2009, 10:29 AM
I find it interesting that Scheff was suppose to be gone but he got over Cutler being traded, showed up and has stayed for all the OTA's. He is still on the team as today and he's one of Jay's best friends. It sounds like Sheff is doing what the coaches are asking and doing his best to stay on this team. When he broke his foot a couple of years ago it really set him back but IMO he has fought through his injuries and has worked hard.

Brandon was arrested in Feb for a incident with a different women. So that had to send up red flags. None of us know what's going to happen with the DUI. Didn't Paymah get suspended for his DUI that happened like 2 years before his suspension? If Brandon's new contract has "off field" clauses in it then Brandon needs to grow up and show he's willing to walk the walk and sign it. I do hope he comes back, he has some real talent but he needs to protect that talent and grow up.

Scheff also hasn't played enough to earn any 'right' to ask to be traded. If you don't think that the Cutler situation has anything todo with this, I think ou may be ignoring the obvious. But I don't think its purely the Cutler trade at all. I think if Cutler was in town, Marshall would be in camp. HOwever, I also know that Marshall can see that he is WAY underpaid for the production he has put on the field.

Its easy for us to say "play out your contract." How many here would simply accept being paid MUCH MUCH less than your peers that you are doing comparable work to? None of you, if you had the means to get a raise, would simply accept being paid half of what our co-worker is when doing the same amount of work..... and out producing them.

Northman
06-16-2009, 10:34 AM

All very true. However, until his off the field issues clear up i dont think any team would be willing to pile on a crapload of money for a player that may not see the field due to suspensions. As has been pointed out, if not for his latest issues he probably would of had a new contract by now. Bowlen may have offered him one that had some stipulations attached to it and maybe Brandon just didnt want to sign it. We dont know what was said in his meeting but to "assume" that Denver is sitting on their hands is a bit premature.

LRtagger
06-16-2009, 10:36 AM
He is nicknamed "The Beast" for a reason.

He is also nicknamed "Baby TO" ...FWIW

Northman
06-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Its easy for us to say "play out your contract." How many here would simply accept being paid MUCH MUCH less than your peers that you are doing comparable work to? None of you, if you had the means to get a raise, would simply accept being paid half of what our co-worker is when doing the same amount of work..... and out producing them.

A lot of us probably wouldnt have a job if we were constantly getting in trouble with the law and out of work. You can argue he needs to get a raise all day long but its much more than just on the field performance that go into his raises. My guess is if his off the field issues were squeeky clean this wouldnt even be an issue.

Tned-Mobile
06-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Tned you are so right about his talent and that in this day and age and with his talent he is underpaid. The problem is IMO that Brandon has hurt himself with his off the field issues. I think he would have a new contract if he didn't have the issue in Feb along with the DUI.

The world is a different place than it was a year ago. People that are really good at their job are having a tough time keeping them. I know that my business is scary down to the point that I'm going to have to make some major changes to keep it going. So my tolerance with Brandon has gone down. I would love to see him stay he has such talent but only if he shows that he really is growing up and is willing to be accountable for his actions, like a incentive filled contract.

Agreed. Considering his off field issues, hip, hand and the hanging judge that is the commissioner, I think the Broncos would be crazy to do something like make him the highest paid receiver (or put him in that range), but I can't help but realize he is dramatically underpaid based on production.

The ideal scenario, for the Broncos and Marshall, is that he plays this year, keeps his nose clean, puts up big numbers and the Broncos sign him to a big contract after the '09 season.

Right now, we just don't know all the details, so we don't know if the issue is them being way off on money, or if there are other problems with the relationship.

Dr Velcro
06-16-2009, 02:05 PM
If this were Eddie Royal....I'd be very upset.

LTC Pain
06-16-2009, 02:07 PM

I don't know. Maybe ER is thinking if the douchebag (aka Brandon Marshall) is moved he becomes the Broncos' #1 receiver. ER doesn't strike me as having that mentality though.

broncogirl7
06-16-2009, 02:08 PM

I definately love me some Royal, but please Broncos...stop the freaking drama. I am trying to find reasons to still love my Broncos, it pains me to say that I am drifting with each passing day.

Mike
06-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Players, coaches, GMs come and go...fans endure. Taking the bad with the good is what being a fan is all about.

G_Money
06-16-2009, 02:31 PM
I still say we offer him the deal we gave Javon. He, too, was coming off a leg injury and was disgruntled about his rookie contract.

"He signed a five-year deal worth more than $40 million, including roster bonuses totaling $15 million in 2007 and 2008."

But he played in 2006 for his rookie contract money - the contract he signed with us was for the following season. If we'd cut him after 2006, IIRC, we would have been on the hook for none of it, and none of the roster bonuses would have hurt us.

But he knew he was GONNA get the money as long as he played well, and he did. Javon got paid, after he proved his knee was okay. Did it work out? No, not long-term. He got injured again, and was never the same. But he was a pro-bowler in '06, and did earn his roster money.

Might wind up in the same situation with Marshall, but that would be my offer to him: "Sign this contract right now for next year, play this year for the crap pay, and you'll get your 8 figures in a roster bonus next season."

If his hand doesn't work or his hip doesn't respond or he gets suspended, cut him. We're still safe.

If he's still a 100 catch monster with fewer drops and more leg drive, then he's worth every penny of his new contract.

Brandon doesn't want to play this year without a new deal, because he has no more leverage next year or the year after. His FA years got screwed by the CBA. All he'd have is the ability to show he's healthy and not likely to be suspended, but with his new coach crowing about how he doesn't need stars and NE's history of not paying people, he's not comfortable that he'd get a new deal next year either.

I don't blame him.

The Broncos gave up their ability to say "we'll reward you, you're Our Guys" when the new regime tossed Cutler. They rammed home the "it's a business" mantra loud and clear, and now guys are playing for themselves, and looking out for themselves and their wallets. See Wiegmann and Marshall.

We may have to clear out anybody who feels the Old Regime owed them something and just have Josh's Guys, because McDaniels removed the loyalty card for the holdovers early in his tenure. But do we have the time for that?

Or we're gonna have to try to figure out how to pay Brandon and Casey and not lose our shirts in the process.

Trading anybody who disagrees with the front office is a bad precedent to set, and I wouldn't set it here. Losing a few million while making the point that producing on the field and fighting through injury for the good of the team is worth rewarding could be a good thing.

We don't have the track record yet to dump our stars and hope that other stars still want to play for us. Make him the offer, and then we've proceeded in good faith even if he decides to try to get more and force a trade (which we should then vehemently refuse as we let him sit at home til week 10 or play while unhappy, a la Boldin).

If it's a business, then it's a business. Brandon's just showing he learned from the Jay thing. We taught him the lesson, I don't see how we can complain about him taking it to heart.

~G

Tned
06-16-2009, 03:56 PM
If I'm the Broncos, there are two options I'm willing to consider.

First, Marshall signs an extension at 'below' market price, which could include a signing bonus, plus possibly a roster bonus for 2010.

Second, Marshall rolls the dice a bit for the bigger money, and plays '09 under his existing contract, and I let him know that if he stays out of trouble and performs on the field like he has the previous two seasons, he would get a big contract on par with top WR's in the league.

Benetto
06-16-2009, 03:57 PM
JOSH: Read the last two posts!!

Nature Boy
06-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Just pay the guy already.

You can't blame Marshall for wanting what he is worth. 2nd in total receptions behind only Wes Welker and Marshall gets his balls the hard way, lined up against the opponents best CB and most the time doubled teamed; unlike Welker(dinks and dunks off the spread shotgun with Randy Moss drawing all the attention).

Marshall knows his stats will only falter without Cutler throwing him the ball so he's doing the smart thing in wanting a new contract coming off 2 consecutive all pro performances.