PDA

View Full Version : 2012 NBA Finals

MOtorboat
06-12-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm not sure I've looked forward to an NBA Finals as much as this one, ever. There are so many storylines, and the best two players in the game.

I'm overly curious to see what Durant does on the ultimate stage. And what LeBron does in his third shot on that stage.

The Thunder have two budding stars in Westbrook and Harden. Do they take the next step? Can a team, this young, with this much talent, and two of its stars already locked up in long term deals win a championship?

Fascinating.

MOtorboat
06-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Excellent column:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/lebron-james-cant-erase-the-decision-even-if-miami-heat-win-finals-061112

CoachChaz
06-12-2012, 10:51 AM
I suppose my hatred for Miami slightly exceeds my dislike for OKC. I like Durant and I like Harden's game. There are player on Miami that I like as well (Battier), but I still have no respect for the way Wade won his first title and the way LeBron left Cleveland.

So...I guess I'll root for Durant in this one. To hell with the rest of the 2 teams.

Northman
06-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Dont really care who wins.

NightTrainLayne
06-12-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm not sure I've looked forward to an NBA Finals as much as this one, ever. There are so many storylines, and the best two players in the game.

I'm overly curious to see what Durant does on the ultimate stage. And what LeBron does in his third shot on that stage.

The Thunder have two budding stars in Westbrook and Harden. Do they take the next step? Can a team, this young, with this much talent, and two of its stars already locked up in long term deals win a championship?

Fascinating.

Well, certainly I have never looked forward to an NBA Finals as much as this one!

The whole city is just electric. . .it has been for the past few weeks, but this is a whole other level.

Who would have thought, about 15 years ago, when this city bravely started the MAPS program, that not only would their wildest dream of landing an NBA or NHL team come true, but that the world championship would be played in OKC? This is success beyond the wildest speculation.

We are in the final stages of the MAPS 2 program now. . .you will see tonight if you haven't already, the remains of I-40 next to Chesapeake Arena. It is being dismantled as we speak and I-40 has been relocated about a mile south, next to the river.

Chesapeake Arena is undergoing renovation (yes, it's only 10 years old). It was built on hope that we would land a major league team, but for that reason, some of the bling, and the glam was left out until later. After the NBA season is over, the rest of the 2 year renovation will be completed. You will also see this on the broadcast tonight. As I-40 is dismantled, the "front" of the arena will shift to a new multi-level grand entrance facing south.

The Devon Tower is almost complete. It is the 5th tallest building west of the Mississippi. . .yes, Denver folks, it's taller than any building in Denver. :P There's one building each in L.A., Houston, Washington, and Nevada that are taller.

OKC really seems to have come into it's own. When we moved here in 2002 part of what attracted us was seeing that the city really was taking steps to reinvent itself, and had a concrete plan. .. .and everyone was proud of what had been accomplished, and what would be accomplished in the future. It is really cool to see all this come together with the Thunder in the NBA Finals.

MOtorboat
06-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Early on, Miami's half court sets are just brutal to watch. Just amateur play calling, really.

Heard Van Gundy just say Miami wants to play at a slower pace than Oklahoma City, and I'm not sure why. Wade and Bron, Bron are the most explosive fast break players in the league, and creative as well. Maybe because OKC has more scorers even though they are less likely to score as much as Wade and Bron, Bron.

OKC looks tight. Westbrook missed a pretty easy layup, and shots aren't falling.

FWIW, I believe this is the first championship series in the four major sports that pits two teams against each other whose nicknames do not end in "S".

MOtorboat
06-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Big play by Durant that could spark the Thunder. Block on one end and then gets the And 1 on the other. Went to the under 8 before the FT here.

MOtorboat
06-12-2012, 08:30 PM
When you're 5 of 6 from 3, and 15 of your 27 points are from outside the arc, things are going good. BUT, it could also be a bad sign for a team that doesn't rely on the 3 much like Miami.

NightTrainLayne
06-12-2012, 08:51 PM
I told three different people at my office today that the Thunder were likely to get Down 10-12 points early... They've done this regularly in big, pressure games. The question is just whether they could dig themselves back out in the second half.

MOtorboat
06-12-2012, 08:58 PM
I told three different people at my office today that the Thunder were likely to get Down 10-12 points early... They've done this regularly in big, pressure games. The question is just whether they could dig themselves back out in the second half.

The problem is that, of all people, Shane Battier is beating them right now. 13 points?

Miami is playing very good defense and they haven't let OKC run much.

MOtorboat
06-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Chalmers and Battier...really?

Denver Native (Carol)
06-12-2012, 09:00 PM
With the format in the finals - 2-3-2, OKC can not afford to lose either one of the first two games at home.

MOtorboat
06-12-2012, 09:04 PM
With the format in the finals - 2-3-2, OKC can not afford to lose either one of the first two games at home.

I know a lot of people have been talking about that today, but I don't expect this series to go any less than 6. I've heard a lot of radio people talking about that, but none that think it will be decided in 5. Seems like a contradiction, and maybe just something to talk about...

NightTrainLayne
06-12-2012, 09:05 PM
The bad thing about the 2 3 2 is that it's really difficult to win three games in a row, even on your home court.

NightTrainLayne
06-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Trust me... You won't like Russell Westbrook when he's angry.

MOtorboat
06-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Trust me... You won't like Russell Westbrook when he's angry.

He looks like Mike Tyson when he's mad.

MOtorboat
06-12-2012, 09:28 PM
I HATE how much the Heat bitch to referees, but that time Chalmers had a beef.

MOtorboat
06-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Tie game!

MOtorboat
06-12-2012, 09:49 PM
How could you possibly call continuation, when a dude is fouled at the top of the key, gathers, takes two steps and dunks it. That is a horrible call.

MOtorboat
06-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Man, OKC is just moving the ball well right now. That was an awesome series of possessions for them there.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Fisher was definitely a great veteran pickup for OKC

MOtorboat
06-12-2012, 10:16 PM
OKC playing a little recklessly now. Need to reign it in a little.

MOtorboat
06-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Not a single player in the league would have taken that 3.

Durant is awesome.

MOtorboat
06-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Role players not shooting well on kickouts for OKC. Something that has worked for them in the postseason.

MOtorboat
06-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Durant taking over.

LeBron with 3 points in the 4th thus far.

Typical.

NightTrainLayne
06-12-2012, 11:13 PM
What a game.

But it's just game one. Lots of work left to do.

skins_fan82
06-14-2012, 01:30 PM
I HATE how much the Heat bitch to referees

Yeah, it's annoying. I mean seriously, have you guys noticed that pretty much EVERY SINGLE TIME Lebron misses a contested shot, he'll throw his hands up? Especially when he drives the lane. Because he's "THE KING" and Stern and the NBA want him to win so bad, LBJ is used to getting whistles every time he goes hard in the paint. SO when he doesn't get his call, he whines like a baby. Wade too. It really, REALLY annoys me.

I know other spoiled players like Kobe and Melo do it too, but between wade and Bron, the heat probably cry more than any other team.

Hell, anybody who watched the Lakers-Nuggets series saw what kind of impact the refs have over the outcome of a game.

CoachChaz
06-14-2012, 03:58 PM
I dont really put the blame on the players for complaining. Reality is, they are so use to hearing a whistle every time they do anything, that they get use to it. Poor officiating in the NBA has redefined what players think are fouls. SO when a game is officiated properly...it messes them up.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Yeah, it's annoying. I mean seriously, have you guys noticed that pretty much EVERY SINGLE TIME Lebron misses a contested shot, he'll throw his hands up? Especially when he drives the lane. Because he's "THE KING" and Stern and the NBA want him to win so bad, LBJ is used to getting whistles every time he goes hard in the paint. SO when he doesn't get his call, he whines like a baby. Wade too. It really, REALLY annoys me.

I know other spoiled players like Kobe and Melo do it too, but between wade and Bron, the heat probably cry more than any other team.

Hell, anybody who watched the Lakers-Nuggets series saw what kind of impact the refs have over the outcome of a game.

It was the same way with MJ.

The most annoying phantom calls are given to Dirk N., IMO. That guy probably gets another 5 or 6 points a game off of lunging into people who have their arms straight up in the air. Then, he'll throw up a shot and perform a classic European flop. It annoys me to no end.

CoachChaz
06-15-2012, 11:04 AM
It was the same way with MJ.

The most annoying phantom calls are given to Dirk N., IMO. That guy probably gets another 5 or 6 points a game off of lunging into people who have their arms straight up in the air. Then, he'll throw up a shot and perform a classic European flop. It annoys me to no end.

Wow...you dont see much Mavs basketball. Just for sake of argument...Wade, James, Durant, Westbrook and Harden all had more FT attempts per game this year than Dirk. I think if there is one area where Dirk has never been given any justice it has been in this department. Personally, I dont think most superstars are fouled nearly as often as referees seem to think, but Dirk is certainly not a benefactor of that. Never has been.

He has the highest PPG average of any player in the NBA with less than 6 FTA per game.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Wow...you dont see much Mavs basketball. Just for sake of argument...Wade, James, Durant, Westbrook and Harden all had more FT attempts per game this year than Dirk. I think if there is one area where Dirk has never been given any justice it has been in this department. Personally, I dont think most superstars are fouled nearly as often as referees seem to think, but Dirk is certainly not a benefactor of that. Never has been.

He has the highest PPG average of any player in the NBA with less than 6 FTA per game.

You're probably right. My perspective is just from the play off games I've watched. I stand corrected, but I still believe Dirk is a "flopper".

Northman
06-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Dirk does flop and very badly but im not sure how it is in comparison to the rest of the league.

CoachChaz
06-15-2012, 11:34 AM
You're probably right. My perspective is just from the play off games I've watched. I stand corrected, but I still believe Dirk is a "flopper".

I guess it depends on who he is being compared to.

CoachChaz
06-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Dirk does flop and very badly but im not sure how it is in comparison to the rest of the league.

But who doesnt anymore?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-16-2012, 01:15 AM

Dude, he's a classic European flopper. Step out of the denial. :)

MOtorboat
06-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Both ways.

CoachChaz
06-17-2012, 10:31 PM

Dude, he's a classic European flopper. Step out of the denial. :)

Denial? Where are the additional trips to the line to justify your claim?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Denial? Where are the additional trips to the line to justify your claim?

I'm not being too serious dude. The honest truth is he reminds me of Larry Bird. I couldn't stand Larry Bird. I've been a Lakers fan since the early 80's, so....

I did get the impression in last year's finals he was a flopper though. I can't give an accurate assessment of his whole career like you can though, because I haven't followed his career much. I will admit he's a good basketball player, just like Bird was.

:mad:

pnbronco
06-21-2012, 11:01 PM
Congrts to the Heat and their fans for winning the Championship. A great series all the way around.

Northman
06-22-2012, 04:28 AM
Good job LeBron and Dwade. James finally got it done and can shut up his critics now.

NightTrainLayne
06-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Hats off to the Heat. They took it to a whole other level, and were certainly the better team.