PDA

View Full Version : KOA reporting BMarsh has officially asked for a trade

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 11:25 AM
I guess Bowlin offered him a new contract to reconsider but he is still seeking a trade.

**** me

lex
06-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Anyone getting the feeling Bowlen low-balled him just so he could say, "I offered him a contract"?

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Anyone getting the feeling Bowlen low-balled him just so he could say, "I offered him a contract"?

I honestly dont know what to think anymore. This offseason now officially ranks as the worst EVER

Requiem / The Dagda
06-15-2009, 11:30 AM
LMAO. God, I love this shit.

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Marshall for Boldin straight up.

underrated29
06-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Are you F'ing kidding me.

Requiem / The Dagda
This off-season has kicked so much ass it is unbelievable. We got rid of my most hated player (Diabetes Boy) and now we are going to get rid of a wife-beating ******* in Marshall. Maybe we can get a punter and a two-down linebacker in the draft next year from the picks we receive from him. Super awesome! (Sarcasm.) -- But seriously, I love this off-season!

CoachChaz

Yep...I mean if he's the top 5 talent everyone thinks he is...it should be a no brainer.

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Lets see here

1. Fire your hall of fame coach
2. Let the Goodmans leave after being given credit for great recent drafts
3. Hire a rookie HC
4. Toss out one of the games best long snappers and hire his equal for more $
5. Trade your 25 year old pro-bowl QB
6. Trade away a likely top 10 pick for a nickel CB
7. Get rid of your pro-bowl WR

**** me.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-15-2009, 11:36 AM
You'll have to wait for Madden to do that.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Snuggie, shut up. You are being a really downer. I'm going to douse your Snuggie in gasoline.

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Snuggie, shut up. You are being a really downer. I'm going to douse your Snuggie in gasoline.

you dont spit into the wind and you dont tug on Snuggies cape.

NightTrainLayne
06-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Well if Bowlen did in fact offer him a new contract, it would by definition have to be more than what he has now, so "low-balling" is difficult to assess without actually seeing the terms.

All that being said, if Bowlen did that, and Marshall still refused, then this has nothing to do with McD, it's all about Brandon and what Brandon wants. Even if someone happens to disagree with that statement that McD is off the hook on this one, the only person that really matters (Pat Bowlen) will see it that way because Bowlen is the one who met with Brandon and made the offer. McD is off the hook on this one with the most important person in the decision tree.

And once again, I have a lot of respect for Pat Bowlen. If Brandon turned down whatever offer that Bowlen personally made to him, then Brandon can go fly a kite. One thing I have learned about Pat Bowlen in all my years of being a Bronco fan is that he is exceedingly fair in regards to dealings with his players and staff.

Requiem / The Dagda
you dont spit into the wind and you dont tug on Snuggies cape.

So do you think we cave in to Brandon's demands? Personally, I would rather get value for him now in a trade as opposed to letting him walk and at best getting a third round compensatory. Either way, we get something for him. Maybe he'll come around.

Buff
WTF is Marshall's problem?

He has no leverage, doesn't he realize that? Didn't he listen to Ochocinco after his holdout? CJ said only QB's have the leverage necessary to pull these things off... And CJ is a better receiver than Marshall. Even a model citizen like Anquan couldn't get paid, no way in hell Marshall gets a new deal before this year.

What a moron.

The thing that pisses me off is that if he could produce 1 year without getting in trouble off the field I'm sure we'd lock him down long term... But he's done nothing to prove that he's worthy of a long term investment. Who the hell do these people think they are? Take your 2 mil plus and shut the F up you immature *******.

broncofaninfla
06-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Amazing if this holds true, Brandon is an idiot but he has been a player for us too, the guy brings it on every play. Why not offer him a incentives based contract that goes null and void if he ever gets into trouble again?

CoachChaz
06-15-2009, 11:43 AM
"I want a trade" = "I don't want to be a Bronco"

Adios, MF

Dortoh
So do you think we cave in to Brandon's demands? Personally, I would rather get value for him now in a trade as opposed to letting him walk and at best getting a third round compensatory. Either way, we get something for him. Maybe he'll come around.

As much as I hate it I think your correct.

We are in full rebuild mode now any ******* way. Get as much for him as you can.

CoachChaz
Amazing if this holds true, Brandon is an idiot but he has been a player for us too, the guy brings it on every play. Why not offer him a incentives based contract that goes null and void if he ever gets into trouble again?

That's assuming he agrees to the incentive clauses.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-15-2009, 11:44 AM
I heard that he asked for a trade after Bowlen said he'd only get an additional 25,000 and not 50,000 for every woman he beats during the length of the contract. Aw.

WARHORSE
06-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Marshall for Boldin?

No thanks.

Boldin is going to be breaking down more and more. He plays like a power runningback, and hes beat up.

Marshall can sit down and start paying fines.

His agent can spend his time keeping him from going off on his wife while hes going stircrazy.

I dont like players trying to strong arm the organization.

Chad OchoJohnson his butt until he finds new wisdom like Mr. Ocho has.

Mr. Ocho is a more humble person today.

Sit him down, fine him, and then fine him some more.

When the soup and crackers disappear, points of view change.:coffee:

BroncoWave
"I want a trade" = "I don't want to be a Bronco"

Adios, MF

I am hesitant to take this stance until I see an actual quote out of his mouth saying as much. I'm not going to throw him under the bus yet because of a report from KOA.

Northman
LMAO. God, I love this shit.

After a while you really do just have to sit back and laugh. Either this is going to be the biggest surprise in 09' or we are going to be the Cincinnati Bengals for the next 5 years. :lol:

lex
06-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Well if Bowlen did in fact offer him a new contract, it would by definition have to be more than what he has now, so "low-balling" is difficult to assess without actually seeing the terms.

All that being said, if Bowlen did that, and Marshall still refused, then this has nothing to do with McD, it's all about Brandon and what Brandon wants. Even if someone happens to disagree with that statement that McD is off the hook on this one, the only person that really matters (Pat Bowlen) will see it that way because Bowlen is the one who met with Brandon and made the offer. McD is off the hook on this one with the most important person in the decision tree.

And once again, I have a lot of respect for Pat Bowlen. If Brandon turned down whatever offer that Bowlen personally made to him, then Brandon can go fly a kite. One thing I have learned about Pat Bowlen in all my years of being a Bronco fan is that he is exceedingly fair in regards to dealings with his players and staff.
Low balling, in this case, be offering him something well below what he's worth which is substantially greater than the 4th round rookie contract he has long outplayed.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-15-2009, 11:48 AM
After a while you really do just have to sit back and laugh. Either this is going to be the biggest surprise in 09' or we are going to be the Cincinnati Bengals for the next 5 years. :lol:

Bengals? I'm hoping for Detroit Lions after Barry Sanders. :smile:

broncofaninfla
06-15-2009, 11:49 AM
That's assuming he agrees to the incentive clauses.

True, I would hope at this point he has to know given his issues off the field and the uncertanty of his availability, this is the best he'll get.

More food for thought.....maybe he just wants out of Denver? A lot of fans and writers think that McD is sinking the franchise, there might very well be some players with that mind set as well?

WARHORSE
06-15-2009, 11:50 AM

He will not walk and we wont be getting a compensatory third for him.

He owes us a year more of ball, and then we own his rights after that as a restricted FA.

He is under contract and he has no leverage.

Make him sit.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Here is KOAs link on all Bronco stuff - so far, nothing specifically on Marshall asking for a trade.

http://www.broncosradionetwork.com/main.html

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Trade him and Orton to the Bears for Cutler and a 6th

Northman
06-15-2009, 11:52 AM
He will not walk and we wont be getting a compensatory third for him.

He owes us a year more of ball, and then we own his rights after that as a restricted FA.

He is under contract and he has no leverage.

Make him sit.

Good point. He isnt making a lot of money now so at some point he would have to consider at least playing or showing up. Those fines can add up after a while.

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 11:52 AM
I was told Adam Schefter was on KOA just a bit ago and he is the source of the news.

Surely someone else here is listening to KOA?

WARHORSE
06-15-2009, 11:54 AM
True, I would hope at this point he has to know given his issues off the field and the uncertanty of his availability, this is the best he'll get.

More food for thought.....maybe he just wants out of Denver? A lot of fans and writers think that McD is sinking the franchise, there might very well be some players with that mind set as well?

Incentive laden clauses do nothing for Brandon. He does not have to prove he can play.

It will be clauses regarding his behavior and off the field issues that will be included that will be a must for the Broncos.

Almost every contract will have incentive clauses in them, but mostly its rookie contracts.

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Can anyone else confirm this report?

Buff
06-15-2009, 11:55 AM
I am hesitant to take this stance until I see an actual quote out of his mouth saying as much. I'm not going to throw him under the bus yet because of a report from KOA.

Where there's smoke, there's fire...

This is how things get done in the NFL. The agent leaks word to a media outlet that he wants to be traded... Then if it blows up in his face, he has a chance to just deny everything. He's not going to hold a news conference saying he wants to be traded.

Marshall has done more than enough to be thrown under the bus... And the bottom line is that even if he hasn't asked to be traded, his actions speak louder than his words.

Northman
06-15-2009, 11:55 AM

So far nothing.

BroncoWave
06-15-2009, 11:56 AM
I was told Adam Schefter was on KOA just a bit ago and he is the source of the news.

Surely someone else here is listening to KOA?

If it really was Schefter that reported it I guess it's as good as true.

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 11:58 AM
If it really was Schefter that reported it I guess it's as good as true.

Isnt Adam with NFL Network anymore? I've been asleep at the wheel. Wouldnt this have come out on NFLN first?

lex
06-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Isnt Adam with NFL Network anymore? I've been asleep at the wheel. Wouldnt this have come out on NFLN first?

He hasnt been with NFLN for a while. He is transitioning to E!SPN...not sure when he starts with them though.

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 12:00 PM
FWIW the OM is having a hard time getting any confirmation either.

Northman
06-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Looks like you blew your load too fast Dortoh.

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Looks like you blew your load too fast Dortoh.

Im going to ban someone if this is a load of crap.

nevcraw
06-15-2009, 12:08 PM
This off-season has kicked so much ass it is unbelievable. We got rid of my most hated player (Diabetes Boy) and now we are going to get rid of a wife-beating ******* in Marshall. Maybe we can get a punter and a two-down linebacker in the draft next year from the picks we receive from him. Super awesome! (Sarcasm.) -- But seriously, I love this off-season!

yup, nothing like becoming a team that shuns it best players and will repel possible FA's with it's new business model.. Glad you are happy..

lex
06-15-2009, 12:08 PM
yup, nothing like becoming a team that shuns it best players and will repel possible FA's with it's new business model.. Glad you are happy..

I think he was being facetious.

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 12:12 PM
If this is fake I'll take my banning medium rare please LMAO

Denver Native (Carol)
06-15-2009, 12:13 PM

I have checked all of the local websites, and nothing on any of them.

Buff
06-15-2009, 12:14 PM
If this is fake I'll take my banning medium rare please LMAO

Dortoh, if it's any consolation, I've got it on good word that the Broncos are on the verge of acquiring Julius Peppers...

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Dortoh, if it's any consolation, I've got it on good word that the Broncos are on the verge of acquiring Julius Peppers...

Can we move this to the lounge where I can take a proper ass whipping

Italianmobstr7
06-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Lets see here

3. Hire a rookie HC

**** me.

They're literally getting rid of all of my favorite players. Champ will be next.... I can't ******* believe this.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-15-2009, 12:22 PM
I hope we do get rid of Champ. . . by not extending his contract. He is done after this year, right? Make way for Jack mother****ing Williams and Alphonso Smith dubbed Team Mother******s. :smile:

GEM
06-15-2009, 12:22 PM

Adam's contract is not being renewed with NFLN, he is ESPN in August.

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 12:23 PM
"My Co-Worker came in and told me he heard schefter on KOA say the same thing. So double second hand confirmation"

Ok a possible second confirmation now.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-15-2009, 12:24 PM
"My Co-Worker came in and told me he heard schefter on KOA say the same thing. So double second hand confirmation"

Ok a possible second confirmation now.

I was just gonna post this. I'm gettin' super wet now. DRAFT PICKZ COMIN!

nevcraw
06-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Lets see here

3. Hire a rookie HC

**** me.

Please add in - Grossly Underpay / underapreciate your Team first Probowl center so he wants to retire.

Italianmobstr7
06-15-2009, 12:26 PM
I hope we do get rid of Champ. . . by not extending his contract. He is done after this year, right? Make way for Jack mother****ing Williams and Alphonso Smith dubbed Team Mother******s. :smile:

I've got to say that I strongly disagree with all of your opinions... Should not have got rid of Cutler if he didn't "force" his way out, probably shouldn't have fired Shanahan, but I like McD so far. Definitely shouldn't get rid of Marshall or Champ. All of those things are beyond stupid. The only thing that needed to be fixed was our red zone offense and our D... Instead we're going to have to completely rebuild our entire team... I've seen that there's no confirmation on this yet though, so maybe all is not lost.

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 12:27 PM
http://www.850koa.com/pages/cmn.html

my speakers are broken. Can someone listen to this and tell me what was said?

Requiem / The Dagda
06-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Well, Cutler asked for a trade -- so obviously he wanted out -- and I'm not interested in extending a cornerback who is coming off a groin injury and will cost more money than necessary. Bailey's best years are behind him. He isn't going to get better.

Italianmobstr7
06-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Well, Cutler asked for a trade -- so obviously he wanted out -- and I'm not interested in extending a cornerback who is coming off a groin injury and will cost more money than necessary. Bailey's best years are behind him. He isn't going to get better.

Cutler asked for a trade, and went about things the wrong way. I'd still take him over Orton or Simms any day. Champ is still a top 3 CB in this league. You'll see again this year when he's healthy and back to his ways. Even the best CB's have a rough time with no pass rush. Champ will have a great year. He needs to retire a Bronco.

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Yes, its true I mean shit its true.

Now I dont know if I should be happy or sad LMMFAO

Italianmobstr7
06-15-2009, 12:44 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=145094

The Broncos are not yet considering the possibility of dealing Brandon Marshall.

Marshall held out of Denver's recent minicamp and faces fines if the Broncos want to levy them. Marshall's holdout could extend into training camp, which may cause Denver to reconsider, although we doubt it. Coming off hip surgery, Marshall keeper owners have a lot to worry about. Jun. 15 - 11:44 am et
Source: Denver Post

WARHORSE
06-15-2009, 12:46 PM
The interview said he wants to be traded. Not a contract. Trade.

Poet
06-15-2009, 12:47 PM

You watch your dirty whore mouth, sir.

Your offensive line is much better than ours.

WARHORSE
06-15-2009, 12:50 PM
As Schefter said, this is a delicate situation in that because of the way the Cutler scenario played itself out, every player that wants something demands a trade and then holds out, and perhaps cuts communication.

No hostage taking here.

Let the man sit until his hip is creaking and his soup bowl is empty.

See if that helps his attitude.

Magnificent Seven
06-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Brandon Marshall sucks. Like I said it earlier. Last February, I mentioned that Brandon Marshall did not do well in pro bowl. Peyton Manning threw an easy pass to Marshall and he did not catch completely. He dropped an easy pass from Manning in TD zone. Moreover, he dropped many balls in last 6-7 games.

Buff
06-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Again, I'll reiterate--He has zero leverage... None.

And coming on the heels of the Cutler situation he doesn't have a prayer of this ending in his favor. The only thing he's doing is costing himself $$, which is ironic considering he's angling for more cash. This just goes to show you how dumb he really is.

Northman
06-15-2009, 12:58 PM
You watch your dirty whore mouth, sir.

Your offensive line is much better than ours.

Damn, i was hoping you didnt see that. :lol:

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Brandon Marshall sucks. Like I said it earlier. Last February, I mentioned that Brandon Marshall did not do well in pro bowl. Peyton Manning threw an easy pass to Marshall and he did not catch completely. He dropped an easy pass from Manning in TD zone. Moreover, he dropped many balls in last 6-7 games.

http://newmedia.funnyjunk.com/pictures/confused.jpg

Magnificent Seven
06-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Gonna have another summer blockbuster trade?

ikillz0mbies
06-15-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm kind of glad this happened. It's exploiting which players are me-first idiots rather than team players. Oh well. Trade him for the best possible deal and move on. Too much of this bullsh*t off-season drama is just causing a distraction for the rest of the team.

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Oh nicely played

lex
Again, I'll reiterate--He has zero leverage... None.

And coming on the heels of the Cutler situation he doesn't have a prayer of this ending in his favor. The only thing he's doing is costing himself $$, which is ironic considering he's angling for more cash. This just goes to show you how dumb he really is.

You dont think theres pressure on the FO after everything that has happened this offseason? And why would a new coach be concerned with having good players that help you win?

D1g1tal j1m
I doubt that Marshall will sit out the season and lose out on over 2 million dollars. Marshall is trying to force Bowlen's hand and get a deal done. Marshall knows that the Broncos hold all the leverage and a threat to sit out or be a disruptive attitude in the locker room is his only cards to play. These options are also going to hurt his trade value so he has put himself in a no win situation, once again showing his immaturity in the off the field issues.
I still think he deserves an extension but now I don't think the Broncos and Mr Bowlen will give him what he demands. Marshall's approach to the situation was ill-advised and now will cost him.

broncofanatic1987
06-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Just because Marshall might have asked for a trade, it doesn't mean he will be traded.

I know what some of you are thinking. You're thinking that Cutler got traded because he asked for one and therefore it means Marshall will get one. Cutler was traded because he was a whiny ******* quarterback who refused to get along with the new coach. On top of that, he refused to return the phone calls of the owner of the team. The Broncos tried to reconcile with the whiny ******* even after he requested the trade, but he refused to make the effort.

It's a different scenario with Marshall. He plays a different position, one at which the Broncos have depth. They can afford to wait this one out. They are also unlikely to get a desirable offer for him because of his hip injury and his legal issue, for which he could still be suspended.

SoCalImport
06-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Meh.. I'm over it. Stay/Go,whateva.
As long as the coaches are getting the team ready for season. Gaffney, Royal, Stokley...works for me.

lex
06-15-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm kind of glad this happened. It's exploiting which players are me-first idiots rather than team players. Oh well. Trade him for the best possible deal and move on. Too much of this bullsh*t off-season drama is just causing a distraction for the rest of the team.

Whatever happened to, "its a business"? Seriously, if people knew this was going to happen when Marshall was drafted in the 4th round of 06, they would have gladly taken this problem. Its amazing, how if a guy massively outplays a rookie contract, people turn on them at the slightest overture of wanting to get paid what he's worth. These are also typically the same people who ate up the excuse by the organization that "its a business" when it came to shopping Cutler.

Theres some amazing hypocrisy going on. How is it ok for the FO to hide behind, "its a business" but not the player?

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Whatever happened to, "its a business"? Seriously, if people knew this was going to happen when Marshall was drafted in the 4th round of 06, they would have gladly taken this problem. Its amazing, how if a guy massively outplays a rookie contract, people turn on them at the slightest overture of wanting to get paid what he's worth. These are also typically the same people who ate up the excuse by the organization that "its a business" when it came to shopping Cutler.

Theres some amazing hypocrisy going on. How is it ok for the FO to hide behind, "its a business" but not the player?

You're right, it is a business, and Marshall is trying to get more money for his performance, but he is asking the Broncos to extend a long-term contract, for Top 5 money, when he can't stay out of trouble with the law and is coming off hip surgery. He's got very little leverage.

Its balancing rewarding for past performance and planning for the future. How do you think Jacksonville feels about paying Jerry Porter? Or, for that matter, Denver paying Travis Henry.

lex
06-15-2009, 01:13 PM
You're right, it is a business, and Marshall is trying to get more money for his performance, but he is asking the Broncos to extend a long-term contract, for Top 5 money, when he can't stay out of trouble with the law and is coming off hip surgery. He's got very little leverage.

Its balancing rewarding for past performance and planning for the future. How do you think Jacksonville feels about paying Jerry Porter? Or, for that matter, Denver paying Travis Henry.

Did Jerry Porter ever produce like Marshall over two years? How Jax felt isnt really relevant since Porter has never done anything for them. Thats not the case with Marshall, who has been a huge producer in Denver. Same with Henry. Also, how old is Brandon Marshall?

Buff
06-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Lex, the point is your argument doesn't have any merit in this particular case because Marshall has hurt the team with his past suspension, is on the verge of a 1 year suspension if he gets in trouble again, and could still face suspension on a case that is still pending...

If we were talking about Boldin or someone like that, I'd agree with you... He's done everything you can ask a WR to do and is well within his rights to try and seek adequate compensation. Marshall is different because he won't stay out of trouble and has been given a number of "second chances." He's not proven himself worthy of a long term committment.

lex
06-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Lex, the point is your argument doesn't have any merit in this particular case because Marshall has hurt the team with his past suspension, is on the verge of a 1 year suspension if he gets in trouble again, and could still face suspension on a case that is still pending...

If we were talking about Boldin or someone like that, I'd agree with you... He's done everything you can ask a WR to do and is well within his rights to try and seek adequate compensation. Marshall is different because he won't stay out of trouble and has been given a number of "second chances." He's not proven himself worthy of a long term committment.

...if only incentive clauses were to exist. Oh wait.

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 01:31 PM

But it might be the incentive clauses that Marshall doesn't want to agree to.

Magnificent Seven
06-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Get Plaxico Burress?

Buff
06-15-2009, 01:34 PM

But you and I both know that contracts in the NFL in 2009 are measured by their guaranteed money.

Marshall's agent isn't going to agree to some incentive-laden long term deal. And the Broncos aren't going to guarantee a shit-ton of $$ up front without some proof that Marshall can go more than 3 months at a time without being a total ****-up.

Which is why he's stupid for trying to strong-arm the Broncos into something when he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

lex
06-15-2009, 01:35 PM
But it might be the incentive clauses that Marshall doesn't want to agree to.

What makes you so sure its not Pat considering Pat has been kvetching about money for the past 4 years?

That you think its more likely Marshall when getting paid what your worth is tied to what you do on the field is kind of telling.

lex
06-15-2009, 01:36 PM
But you and I both know that contracts in the NFL in 2009 are measured by their guaranteed money.

Marshall's agent isn't going to agree to some incentive-laden long term deal. And the Broncos aren't going to guarantee a shit-ton of $$ up front without some proof that Marshall can go more than 3 months at a time without being a total ****-up.

Which is why he's stupid for trying to strong-arm the Broncos into something when he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

I dont think Marshall is going for a contract that he wouldnt get somewhere else.

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 01:40 PM
What makes you so sure its not Pat considering Pat has been kvetching about money for the past 4 years?

That you think its more likely Marshall when getting paid what your worth is tied to what you do on the field is kind of telling.

I have no idea, lex, that's what I'm trying to get at. But from an outsiders point of view, it doesn't look like he has any leverage. You might be partly right and I might be partly right.

By the sounds of it, only Marshall his agent and Bowlen know any details right now.

Buff
06-15-2009, 01:43 PM
I dont think Marshall is going for a contract that he wouldnt get somewhere else.

But he's not an unrestricted free agent, and the team hasn't ok'd him to seek a trade partner....

He can seek it all he wants, but he's not going to get it. He HAS to realize that.

Part of me wonders if he just doesn't want to buy himself some more down time in Florida... He wasn't going to be able to practice anyway because of his injury, so now he (literally) buys his freedom for another month and a half while also letting the team know he's unhappy about his contract. Ultimately he intends to show up for camp, but figures he may as well try this route while it's available to him in the off chance the team decides to extend him or trade him to someone who will.

That's the only scenario that makes sense to me.

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 01:49 PM
If he goes I'm jumping on the trade Champ bandwagon. A shut down corner is worthless to a team in rebuilding. Get some value while he still has some.

silkamilkamonico
06-15-2009, 01:50 PM
F Mike Shanahan for drafting a bunch of soft players that have had everything given to them their entire life, and then holding their hands through their time in Denver.

No wonder why our teams are a bunch of soft bellied no resilient patsies regardless of the talent, year, after year, after year.

horsepig
06-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Your take is probably pretty close Buff. I'd really like to see him get what he's already earned on the field. However, there is just no way he can really think this approach will go very far.

There's no need to re-iterate his off-field shortcomings. He does deserve the chance to make more $$ if he continues to earn it on the field, though.

Tned-Mobile
06-15-2009, 01:54 PM
I have no idea, lex, that's what I'm trying to get at. But from an outsiders point of view, it doesn't look like he has any leverage. You might be partly right and I might be partly right.

By the sounds of it, only Marshall his agent and Bowlen know any details right now.

Yea, at this point, it's all guessing on our part. We don't know if Marshall is asking for top 5 money, or top 25 money. We don't know if it isn't about money, but about how the team (or his health situation) has been handled. It's all guessing.

As to leverage, I agree. While the collective bargaining agreement is an unknown, if we assume that there will be one and that free agency will exist in some form similar to now, then Marshall has very little leverage.

If he holds out and doesn't play, his years of service will stay at three years and he will never become a free agent, unrestricted or otherwise. In addition, he will get fined and not paid his salary. So, while he can request a trade, if he chooses not to pay it will cost him dollars now and in the future.

Now, if he wants to be as mercenary as possible, I think he can hold out for the first 10 games, then report and he will be credited for a year of eligibility towards free agency, but then he would still be a restricted free agent and have to do the same thing again next year.

I agree, from where I sit, Marshall doesn't have much leverage beyond that he has FAR out performed the 4th rounder money he is being paid.

silkamilkamonico
06-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Your take is probably pretty close Buff. I'd really like to see him get what he's already earned on the field. However, there is just no way he can really think this approach will go very far.

There's no need to re-iterate his off-field shortcomings. He does deserve the chance to make more $$ if he continues to earn it on the field, though.

I would give Marshall the bank under the stipulation that if he does something stupid and gets suspended, he has to forfeit a major portion of his signing bonus for every game he misses. I feel like there isn't any accountability whatsoever for his off the feild behavior, even though it isn't as bad as others.

You want a big contract? Then stop breaking the law azzhole.

lex
06-15-2009, 02:06 PM

But he's not an unrestricted free agent, and the team hasn't ok'd him to seek a trade partner....

He can seek it all he wants, but he's not going to get it. He HAS to realize that.

Part of me wonders if he just doesn't want to buy himself some more down time in Florida... He wasn't going to be able to practice anyway because of his injury, so now he (literally) buys his freedom for another month and a half while also letting the team know he's unhappy about his contract. Ultimately he intends to show up for camp, but figures he may as well try this route while it's available to him in the off chance the team decides to extend him or trade him to someone who will.

That's the only scenario that makes sense to me.

Its true that the terms are up in the air right now. But if youre going to speculate on this, there are things to consider.

To suggest the front office isnt under some pressure is a little naive. Only a month or so ago, Pat Bowlen had someone send out a carefully crafted letter designed at spinning the Cutler situation to the fan base. And now this. Again, there is some pressure on the FO and you have to know that Marshall knows it. Just the lone fact that McDaniels is a first time head coach in a new city, is enough reason to feel pressure to keep good players. And what has happened so far only intensifies that pressure because fan senitment is amazingly fickle right now.

topscribe
06-15-2009, 02:18 PM
I see a trend here. The Cutler deal provided the illusion of a way out for
disgruntled players. I thought at the time that the best way to handle Cutler
was to say, "Fine, enjoy the games on your TV. By the way, your refusal to
produce may void your contract." Then see how long he would not want to
report to camp.

Now's their chance with Marshall. You don't want to play for the Broncos?
Enjoy your retirement . . .

-----

lex
06-15-2009, 02:25 PM
I see a trend here. The Cutler deal provided the illusion of a way out for
disgruntled players. I thought at the time that the best way to handle Cutler
was to say, "Fine, enjoy the games on your TV. By the way, your refusal to
produce may void your contract." Then see how long he would not want to
report to camp.

Now's their chance with Marshall. You don't want to play for the Broncos?
Enjoy your retirement . . .

-----

Tell that to the people theyre charging full price admission to. Its not as simple as the FO telling the player to go screw himself. There might be other times when the downstream effect is minimal, but after this offseason, its going to be ugly if they botch this and then lose.

topscribe
06-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Tell that to the people theyre charging full price admission to. Its not as simple as the FO telling the player to go screw himself. There might be other times when the downstream effect is minimal, but after this offseason, its going to be ugly if they botch this and then lose.

Most of the people who are paying full admission believe a contract is a contract
and have little time for prima-donnas who think they are bigger than the team.

-----

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Personally I cant stand the guy off the field but even I have to admit they guy is under paid for his on field production.

lex
06-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Most of the people who are paying full admission believe a contract is a contract

-----

You dont think most feel that they are paying to see a good product?

Requiem / The Dagda
06-15-2009, 02:44 PM
I agree Lex. They are going to see a player like Marshall on the field. He makes the game exciting.

topscribe
06-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Personally I cant stand the guy off the field but even I have to admit they guy is under paid for his on field production.

It is my understanding that the Broncos were prepared the renegotiate
Marshall's contract until this off-field crap all flared up . . . again.

Are they supposed to give a guy a raise, who has embarrassed the organization,
who still may not be there this next season because of either his criminal
proceedings or his mending hip? Meanwhile, what further trouble is going to find
him?

Yeah . . . that would make me want to pay the guy more, all right . . . :rolleyes:

As I said, he can report with what he has and be grateful he still somehow has
what he has, and prove he is worth top pay, or he can enjoy the season as a
spectator. But we have a situation where the inmates seemingly are trying to
run the asylum, and that has to come to a stop, in no uncertain terms . . .

-----

broncohead
06-15-2009, 02:47 PM

-----

I think it's funny when people throw the word "team" around. This isn't college. The only reason why these players are here is for the money. Most players would turn their back on their team if they knew they could get a bigger contract. Especially if it's a 4th round contract to potentially top 10-5.

topscribe
06-15-2009, 02:52 PM
I think it's funny when people throw the word "team" around. This isn't college. The only reason why these players are here is for the money. Most players would turn their back on their team if they knew they could get a bigger contract. Especially if it's a 4th round contract to potentially top 10-5.

Then maybe it's time the players come to terms with the fact it is not about
them. It is about the fan. It is the fan's money that keeps the franchise, ergo
the players, afloat.

The fan wants to see his/her team win. To the fan, it's about the team. One
player does not make the team. The fans know this . . . at least, those who
are not mentally challenged. But one player can disrupt a team.

I insist: If the Broncos do it right, they will tell Marshall to come to work or to
sit . . . and the money stays here. If it's about the money, it would take long
for him to report (see Ocho Cinco).

-----

lex
06-15-2009, 02:55 PM
It is my understanding that the Broncos were prepared the renegotiate
Marshall's contract until this off-field crap all flared up . . . again.

Are they supposed to give a guy a raise, who has embarrassed the organization,
who still may not be there this next season because of either his criminal
proceedings or his mending hip? Meanwhile, what further trouble is going to find
him?

Yeah . . . that would make me want to pay the guy more, all right . . . :rolleyes:

As I said, he can report with what he has and be grateful he still somehow has
what he has, and prove he is worth top pay, or he can enjoy the season as a
spectator. But we have a situation where the inmates seemingly are trying to
run the asylum, and that has to come to a stop, in no uncertain terms . . .

-----

LOL. The organization has enough egg on its face because of its own doings. I can pull up Pats press conference speech that was infested with one lie after another if youd like. How is that Brandons fault?

lex
06-15-2009, 02:56 PM
the players, afloat.

I insist: If the Broncos do it right, they will tell Marshall to come to work or to

-----

This has more to do with Pats case of Bob Kraft envy than Marshall.

topscribe
06-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Stepping away from the ledge; Brandon Marshall's situation typical
by John Bena (aka TheSportsGuru) on Jun 15, 2009 10:15 AM MST in 2009 Off-Season

via nfldotcom.files.wordpress.com
Another wild weekend in Broncos Country. June is supposed to be a dead zone when it comes to the NFL. Sure, there are OTAs, some minicamp workouts and a slow trickle of draft-pick signings, but usually we are counting the days until late July and Training Camp. Not in Denver, where each week has seemingly brought a new dilemma.

This past weekend saw Denver's mandatory minicamp overshadowed by the official beginning of a Brandon Marshall holdout. Immediately, Broncos fans everywhere, in unison, said "Here we go again". With many fans still stinging from the Jay Cutler trade, a potential Brandon Marshall divorce has many fans on the ledge anxiously waiting to see whether they will jump. Rest easy Broncos fans, or at least know the facts before making your fateful decision.

First, let's just stop comparing what is happening with Brandon Marshall and what went down with Cutler. This is a completely different deal, with completely different motivations. There is plenty all over this site describing what went down with Cutler, so we won't dig up the dead horse to beat it again. With Marshall, however, here are my thoughts on what is happening and what the resolution will be...

The remainder of this article can be found here: http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/6/15/909959/stepping-away-from-the-ledge

-----

broncohead
06-15-2009, 02:58 PM
the players, afloat.

-----
When players see the mils in their contract or potential contract do you think they are thinking about the fans?

topscribe
06-15-2009, 03:00 PM
LOL. The organization has done enough egg on its face because of its own doings. I can pull up Pats press conference speech that was infested with one lie after another if youd like. How is that Brandons fault?

How is that relevant?

You and I don't have the same interests. You are very apparently interested in
pissing contests. I am interested in the issue at hand.

Anybody else willing to discuss? I'm through with this guy here . . .

-----

topscribe
06-15-2009, 03:01 PM
When players see the mils in their contract or potential contract do you think they are thinking about the fans?

Exactly. They apparently have forgotten where it comes from . . . :coffee:

-----

lex
06-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Exactly. They apparently have forgotten where it comes from . . . :coffee:

-----

Thats a negative. This is between Marshall and Pat, not Marshall and the fans. Pat does not represent the fans. The fans are not wellfare for Pat Bowlen and Pat is just as capable when it comes to taking the fans for granted.

Lonestar
06-15-2009, 03:15 PM
the trading thing came out of the blue for me

It has and always be about the money..

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Those trying to make the moral arguement are giving the players more credit then they deserve IMHO

Its all about the bottom line to the players.

BroncoWave
06-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Stunningly it seems like so far this issue hasn't been nearly as divisive to the fanbase as the Shanny and Cutler disputes this offseason and this thread has actually been fairly civil. I must say I'm quite impressed.

*knocks on wood*

LordTrychon
06-15-2009, 04:09 PM
The downside to working overnights is to wake up to this sort of thing and feel completely lost.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-15-2009, 04:17 PM
The downside to working overnights is to wake up to this sort of thing and feel completely lost.

Hey LT - right now, you know as much about this as the rest of us do - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING :D They just said on FM1043theFan, that as of right now - rumor only.

Magnificent Seven
06-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Honestly, I think Cutler-McDaniels situation have really hurt the team big time. Marshall is already under influenced by Cutler-McDaniels situation.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Marshall is always under the influence. :smile:

LordTrychon
06-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Hey LT - right now, you know as much about this as the rest of us do - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING :D They just said on FM1043theFan, that as of right now - rumor only.

Thank you. That's about what I was looking for.

Part of me wants to laugh.... but just wow.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Thank you. That's about what I was looking for.

Part of me wants to laugh.... but just wow.

I just checked again - nothing on this (even rumor) on Denver Post, Ch4, or Ch9 website.

LordTrychon
06-15-2009, 04:36 PM
I just checked again - nothing on this (even rumor) on Denver Post, Ch4, or Ch9 website.

Thank you. Going through reports on the other site and haven't had a chance to look around yet. :salute:

topscribe
06-15-2009, 04:39 PM

You mean my diatribes might all be for nothing? :look:

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
06-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Just wait until Burger Bill reads the forum and posts it on ESPN!

Lonestar
06-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Schefter has been pretty spot on in the past..he had at one time good connections in DEN/Dove Vally..

so I would think this one has some legs..

topscribe
06-15-2009, 04:42 PM
Schefter has been pretty spot on in the past..he had at one time good connections in DEN/Dove Vally..

so I would think this one has some legs..

Yes, very well could be.

I can count on approximately two fingers the number of journalists to whom I
would lend that kind of credibility, and Schefter is one.

-----

Denver Native (Carol)
06-15-2009, 04:43 PM
As you can see, this is filed under NFL RUMORS

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/06/15/brandon-marshall-wants-to-follow-jay-cutlers-path-out-of-denver/

Brandon Marshall Wants to Follow Jay Cutler's Path Out of Denver

Posted Jun 15, 2009 4:50PM By Josh Alper (RSS feed)

Filed Under: Broncos, AFC West, NFL Rumors

here's a feeling of déjà vu in the mile-high air around Denver on Monday, as Brandon Marshall's displeasure with the Denver Broncos has moved into the trade-demand stage.

A source close to the situation told FanHouse's Calvin Watkins that Marshall is questioning the team's direction after the Cutler trade, and that concern led Marshall to meet with owner Pat Bowlen.

During a radio interview with 850 KOA in Denver, Adam Schefter of the NFL Network (soon of ESPN) said that Marshall's trade request came after the wide receiver decided not to report to the opening of the Broncos' mandatory minicamp. Marshall told Bowlen, "I think I'd like to be traded," and Schefter said Marshall was unlikely to change his mind, despite Bowlen's request that he take some time to consider options.

AND

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/06/15/cue-brandon-marshall-to-bears-rumors/

Cue Brandon Marshall-To-Bears Rumors

Posted Jun 15, 2009 3:10PM By Matt Snyder (RSS feed)

Filed Under: Chicago Bears, Broncos, AFC West, NFC North, NFL Rumors

It was only a matter of time. Jay Cutler is now the quarterback of the Chicago Bears. The Bears lack a proven No. 1 receiver. Brandon Marshall was Cutler's favorite target last season for the Denver Broncos. Marshall is unhappy about his current contract situation in Denver. Add those four sentences together and what comes out? A "rumor" about Marshall being traded to the Bears -- who do have the cap space to take on Marshall and give him a raise.

Now, let us take this all with a grain of salt at this point. The Broncos still insist Marshall is not going to be traded, and the linked discussion of Marshall-to-the-Bears was kick-started by a fan email. Still, the idea makes too much sense from the Bears' perspective to completely ignore.

We've covered several times how the Bears receiving corps isn't nearly as bad as advertised, but they would greatly benefit in a one-person depth chart slide. Meaning, if Marshall was added, Devin Hester would be the WR2 while Earl Bennett and Juaquin Iglesias would be the WR3 and WR4, respectively; Rashied Davis would simply offer depth and special teams play. Throw in Matt Forte from the backfield and tight end Greg Olsen, and it's actually a pretty scary bunch comprising Cutler's weaponry.

Still, some hurdles would have to be cleared. First of all, the Broncos would actually have to decide to trade Marshall -- and they are reportedly far from doing so. It's not likely Pat Bowlen or Josh McDaniels could survive the public relations fiasco that would surely follow dealing both Cutler and Marshall in the same offseason.

If they did decide to take this leap, though, could the Bears muster up enough to outbid teams like the Jets, Buccaneers and Eagles? The Bears aren't in the position to offer a proven receiver back, considering they won't deal Hester. They already gave the Broncos their 2010 first-round draft pick for Cutler. Would a second-round pick be enough, and, if so, would Bears general manager Jerry Angelo want to go through another Day 1 of the draft without a single pick? I'm inclined to say the Cutler and Marshall tandem is worth it, but some other holes could arise during the season, and it's hard to build a complete team with a lack of early round draft picks.

Any team interested in Marshall would need to do their due diligence regarding the health of the star receiver. He had hip surgery on April 1. It's possible this could cripple his trade value for Denver, or merely be an excuse for him to sit out training camp while pressing the team for more money -- or a trade.

Another layer to the so-far-unsubstantiated-rumor is the off-field issues possessed by Marshall. The Bears cut ties with both Tank Johnson and Cedric Benson due to legal troubles, and Marshall has had plenty of his own. When discussing possible interest in Plaxico Burress, though, Angelo indicated they would weigh possible on-field production with off-field issues and decide whether or not the reward is worth the risk. If they did so with Marshall, it's likely they'd find it's worth the risk.

The 25-year-old Marshall stands 6-foot-4, and is as explosive deep as anyone in the league. In 2007, he caught 102 passes for 1,325 yards and 7 touchdowns. In 2008, he grabbed 104 passes for 1,265 yards and 6 touchdowns. The added bonus for the Bears would be that he accrued the overwhelming majority of these stats with Cutler as his quarterback.

Marshall, for his part, seems very serious in his stance for a contract extension and may force the Broncos hand like Cutler did. He's already given up more than $35,000 by skipping minicamp this past weekend. People don't forfeit a teacher's salary on a whim. He's dead serious with this holdout and is saying it might bleed into the regular season if need be.

In time, the Broncos might have to get serious about fielding offers. If that happens, they can expect to hear a bevy of phone calls, including one from a familiar voice -- Mr. Jerry Angelo.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-15-2009, 04:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4261327

The Denver Broncos said they are aware of a radio report that said holdout receiver Brandon Marshall asked team owner Pat Bowlen for a trade during a meeting Friday.

However, a team spokesman said Denver does not have any comment on the report. Adam Schefter, who will join ESPN in August, reported Monday on KOA in Denver that Marshall requested the trade during a meeting Friday. Marshall's agent, Kennard McGuire, did not return phone messages Monday.

Marshall skipped Denver's mandatory minicamp Friday-Sunday. He is protesting because he has medical trust issues and he wants a pay raise. Marshall's contract expires after next season. Marshall had hip surgery in March and he won't be able to practice until training camp starts late next month. Still, he was required to rehabilitate at the camp. Denver can fine him for missing the sessions.

Marshall is entering his fourth season and made his first Pro Bowl in 2008. He has had back-to-back 100-plus catch seasons.

The Marshall situation is another issue for new Denver coach Josh McDaniels. The former New England offensive coordinator took over for the fired Mike Shanahan after 14 years. McDaniels' tenure in Denver got off to a rocky start when Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler was traded to Chicago. The saga began when Cutler caught wind that the new coach was considering trading him in a package for Matt Cassel, who starred for McDaniels in New England last season.

Bill Williamson covers the AFC West for ESPN.com.

Lonestar
06-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Keep them coming Carol we are behind Ya..:salute:

I gonna start calling you digger..:D

Benetto
06-15-2009, 05:03 PM
What in the world is happening in Dove Valley this year?

A disastrous chain of events starting with Shanahans firing....Once McD comes in and plays the role of dictator, all our young superstars want out? I am sick of this BS. I had a hard time getting over the fact our franchise QB "for years to come" was traded, and now our superstar WR?

Freakin BS...I know I'm not breaking the bank this year to buy front row 50 yardline seats....Nice work Bowlen/McD.

Let's see how this turns out....No Cutler, No Brandon Marshall, No Weigman....I can hear the Boo birds, and Fire McDictator banners up now.

BroncoWave
06-15-2009, 05:11 PM
What in the world is happening in Dove Valley this year?

A disastrous chain of events starting with Shanahans firing....Once McD comes in and plays the role of dictator, all our young superstars want out? I am sick of this BS. I had a hard time getting over the fact our franchise QB "for years to come" was traded, and now our superstar WR?

Freakin BS...I know I'm not breaking the bank this year to buy front row 50 yardline seats....Nice work Bowlen/McD.

Let's see how this turns out....No Cutler, No Brandon Marshall, No Weigman....I can hear the Boo birds, and Fire McDictator banners up now.

How in the hell do you blame McD for this one? It's clear that Brandon wants more money and Pat doesn't want to give it to him. What does McD have to do with that? Unless you can show me something where BM is mad at McD please don't start up all this "McDaniels is the devil" crap again.

Poet
06-15-2009, 05:13 PM
I agree with BTB. I can understand why people would not be a fan of McDaniels, but Brandon Marshall has been an idiot for quite some time.

dogfish
06-15-2009, 05:14 PM
As you can see, this is filed under NFL RUMORS

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/06/15/brandon-marshall-wants-to-follow-jay-cutlers-path-out-of-denver/

Brandon Marshall Wants to Follow Jay Cutler's Path Out of Denver

Posted Jun 15, 2009 4:50PM By Josh Alper (RSS feed)

Filed Under: Broncos, AFC West, NFL Rumors

here's a feeling of déjà vu in the mile-high air around Denver on Monday, as Brandon Marshall's displeasure with the Denver Broncos has moved into the trade-demand stage.

A source close to the situation told FanHouse's Calvin Watkins that Marshall is questioning the team's direction after the Cutler trade, and that concern led Marshall to meet with owner Pat Bowlen.

During a radio interview with 850 KOA in Denver, Adam Schefter of the NFL Network (soon of ESPN) said that Marshall's trade request came after the wide receiver decided not to report to the opening of the Broncos' mandatory minicamp. Marshall told Bowlen, "I think I'd like to be traded," and Schefter said Marshall was unlikely to change his mind, despite Bowlen's request that he take some time to consider options.

maybe bowlen should try not being a gigantic poosy. . . don't friggin' politely ask him to reconsider-- tell him he's under contract, he's not getting traded and that's that-- and you have a fine coming for missing a mandatory minicamp, and there's going to be more for every day of TC you miss, so your ass better be here. . . the team has most of the leverage in this situation, they need to play hardball instead of getting all scared like they did with cutler, and giving in to a trade request. . . play a little chicken with him and see who blinks first when those 15,000 per day fines start rolling in! marshall hasn't made nearly enough money yet that he can ignore those kind of numbers. . . it's time to start valuing our assets a little more, and having marshall under contract is a significant asset to the organization. . .

Benetto
06-15-2009, 05:15 PM
How in the hell do you blame McD for this one? It's clear that Brandon wants more money and Pat doesn't want to give it to him. What does McD have to do with that? Unless you can show me something where BM is mad at McD please don't start up all this "McDaniels is the devil" crap again.

I didn't see any contract issues and trade requests when Shanny was here..Since 2006 when our stars were drafted and signed. We are sure McD is the reason Cutler is not here anymore...That's 1 of 2..

As for brandon....How in the HELL are you so sure what is being said through the media is the complete truth? Obviously once McD brought his dictator type coaching into denver this started blowing up.

BroncoWave
06-15-2009, 05:15 PM
I agree with BTB. I can understand why people would not be a fan of McDaniels, but Brandon Marshall has been an idiot for quite some time.

Agreed. Of course anything that goes wrong in Denver at this point is just ammo for the McD haters to go off again, regardless of if he's at fault or not.

Benetto
06-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Agreed. Of course anything that goes wrong in Denver at this point is just ammo for the McD haters to go off again, regardless of if he's at fault or not.
I never was a McD hater, until this became a trend....

He's running our 2006 draft class out of the door...Doom is probably next since Ayers will play in his position.

Poet
06-15-2009, 05:19 PM

Brandon Marshall is a typical primma donna WR. WRs are insane. For that reason alone I think I want all teams to adopt a run first style of play just so I can go 3 days on ESPN without hearing about a disgruntled WR.

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Not to rain on anyones parade but I'm betting our vet center is not exactly lowwering his price as we speak. LMAO

BroncoWave
06-15-2009, 05:21 PM
I didn't see any contract issues and trade requests when Shanny was here..Since 2006 when our stars were drafted and signed. We are sure McD is the reason Cutler is not here anymore...That's 1 of 2..

As for brandon....How in the HELL are you so sure what is being said through the media is the complete truth? Obviously once McD brought his dictator type coaching into denver this started blowing up.

Brandon wants more money plain and simple. What, do you think if Shanny was still coach Marshall would be happy with being way underpaid given his production? Give me a freaking break. He's pissed that Pat won't give him a raise and now he wants out.

Denver Native (Carol)
Keep them coming Carol we are behind Ya..:salute:

I gonna start calling you digger..:D

Be looking for my bill any day now :D

Benetto
Not to rain on anyones parade but I'm betting our vet center is not exactly lowwering his price as we speak. LMAO

All of our Probowlers last year, gone....:tsk:

And it isn't our Head coaches fault....The man who calls all the shots. :rolleyes:

Benetto
06-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Brandon wants more money plain and simple. What, do you think if Shanny was still coach Marshall would be happy with being way underpaid given his production? Give me a freaking break. He's pissed that Pat won't give him a raise and now he wants out.

Oh I didn't know you talked to Brandon about this day in and day out...Give ME a freakin break...

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 05:23 PM

I have no doubt that is part of it but I also think once Jay left it was a matter of waiting to see if the league was going to suspend him thus killing any real trade value.

Now he is making his move to get out of dodge

BroncoWave
06-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Brandon Marshall is a typical primma donna WR. WRs are insane. For that reason alone I think I want all teams to adopt a run first style of play just so I can go 3 days on ESPN without hearing about a disgruntled WR.

Another valid point. BM would be just as big a moron and primma donna WR regardless of who the coach is. There is absolutely no basis for pinning this on McD when Marshall has shown how big of a moron he his long before McD got here.

BigAL56
06-15-2009, 05:24 PM
WTF is Marshall's problem?

He has no leverage, doesn't he realize that? Didn't he listen to Ochocinco after his holdout? CJ said only QB's have the leverage necessary to pull these things off... And CJ is a better receiver than Marshall. Even a model citizen like Anquan couldn't get paid, no way in hell Marshall gets a new deal before this year.

What a moron.

The thing that pisses me off is that if he could produce 1 year without getting in trouble off the field I'm sure we'd lock him down long term... But he's done nothing to prove that he's worthy of a long term investment. Who the hell do these people think they are? Take your 2 mil plus and shut the F up you immature *******.

lol, Marshall doesn't want the money Boldin and CJ are asking for. He has leverage and he just used it. It's going to screw the Broncos, but he'll probably make double the money next year on a team that is going to be better than the Broncos. Sucks for us, but I would have done the exact same thing. Why would he want to play for a team that is going to suck, for a coach he doesn't like, and for less money than he could get somewhere else? Moron? No. Screwing the Broncos and pissing off fans? Yes. Who's going to win? Marshall. I don't blame the guy at all. Blame is on McD...bad player management all offseason.

BroncoWave
06-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Oh I didn't know you talked to Brandon about this day in and day out...Give ME a freakin break...

Then tell me what McD should be doing differently right now to alive this situation since he's so at fault for it according to you.

Poet
06-15-2009, 05:25 PM

Oh come on, you think it is more likely that BMarsh, a WR who cannot stay out of trouble who is constantly messing up, is demanding a trade because of the coach and NOT the contract?

Really?

I mean, because your own comment about not talking to Brandon about this day in and day out applies to you as much as anyone else.

NightTrainLayne
06-15-2009, 05:26 PM

Brandon hasn't even practiced once with the new coaching staff. He has asked for more money. Bowlen met with him personally.

I fail to see where McD fits into that. I think I posted earlier in this thread something to this effect. You can believe that it's McD's fault all you want, but given the fact that Bowlen met with Marshall personally, I can pretty well guarantee you that Bowlen doesn't see it that way, and won't see it that way. If it was just McD's fault and Bolwen met with Marshall, Bowlen would have fixed it. Bowlen has always been exceedingly fair with every member of his organization.

Marshall simply wants more money. His on-field production warrants it, but his off-the-field behavior doesn't. That's why there's not an agreement. If Marshall would have cleaned up his act two years ago and stopped getting into trouble he'd already have his contract.

Benetto
06-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Then tell me what McD should be doing differently right now to alive this situation since he's so at fault for it according to you.

I am no expert, but McD is supposed to be...We are on the brink of losing all our Probowlers from last year. 2 young prospects who were supposed to be the face of the franchise....Headcoaches are the ones who are supposed to smooth things over and handle them like pro's instead of dictators..

Other teams have had disgruntled super stars, and the head coaches were the ones who smoothed things over.

topscribe
06-15-2009, 05:28 PM
If Marshall would have cleaned up his act two years ago and stopped getting into trouble he'd already have his contract.

Bottom line . . . :coffee:

-----

Benetto
06-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Bring back Brandon, one way or another...Its McD's job to do that...

New contract or not, McD's fault or not....It's his job to keep his team together. Not trade them away like they are scrubs....

BigAL56
I'm with Benetto. Look how he's managed the team. We went from being a playoff contender to one of the expected top 5 worst teams in the NFL. He lost his QB. McD lost his respect. Flat out McD's fault. Terrible management. Marshall is going to end up at a better team and more money. Good for him. Bad for us. McD, you're fired

BigAL56
And PS. You guys mean to say that if Shanny was here, Marshall would still asking for a trade? No chance

BroncoWave
06-15-2009, 05:33 PM

New contract or not, McD's fault or not....It's his job to keep his team together. Not trade them away like they are scrubs....

Oh I didn't realize it was McD's job to assign people new contracts. When did he start signing the checks?

BigAL56
06-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Oh I didn't realize it was McD's job to assign people new contracts. When did he start signing the checks?

It's his job to manage players. Keep moral up. Make them want to be here.

topscribe
06-15-2009, 05:35 PM
And PS. You guys mean to say that if Shanny was here, Marshall would still asking for a trade? No chance

Were Shanny still here, Marshall might be gone.

Shanny put up with only so much crap (see Henry, Gardener, et al.).

-----

Lonestar
06-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Brandon hasn't even practiced once with the new coaching staff. He has asked for more money. Bowlen met with him personally.

I fail to see where McD fits into that. I think I posted earlier in this thread something to this effect. You can believe that it's McD's fault all you want, but given the fact that Bowlen met with Marshall personally, I can pretty well guarantee you that Bowlen doesn't see it that way, and won't see it that way. If it was just McD's fault and Bolwen met with Marshall, Bowlen would have fixed it. Bowlen has always been exceedingly fair with every member of his organization.

Marshall simply wants more money. His on-field production warrants it, but his off-the-field behavior doesn't. That's why there's not an agreement. If Marshall would have cleaned up his act two years ago and stopped getting into trouble he'd already have his contract.

add to that in EVERY interview I have seen Josh has been bending over back wards to placate this moron..

every time he is asked he is saying they look forward to getting him back healthy.. when asked further, deflecting all questions with it it a PRIVATE matter comment

maybe Josh needs to bitch slap this moron to get his attention..

it is and always has been nothing but mar$$$hall wanting a raise..

Josh had NOTHING to do with this other than being gracious towards him in public and being here in DEN....

Benetto
06-15-2009, 05:37 PM

You are supposed to be a smart guy in college....Where did I ever write, sign him a new contract?

You are supposed to talk wit hyour players and smooth things over.

Reading and writing comprehension must not be a major focus anymore at tulane.

Tned
06-15-2009, 05:37 PM

This is what my issue was with the Cutler thing as well. It isn't about whether or not Cutler was immature or overreacted, it is about the fact that head coaches in the NFL are supposed to know how to handle temperamental players. EVERY other team in the NFL has to deal with temperamental players, and if our head coach doesn't have the skills to handle these players, then we have big problems.

BroncoWave
06-15-2009, 05:43 PM
You are supposed to be a smart guy in college....Where did I ever write, sign him a new contract?

You are supposed to talk wit hyour players and smooth things over.

Reading and writing comprehension must not be a major focus anymore at tulane.

How do you know McD isn't trying to smooth things over in with Brandon? Do you have some special behind the scenes pass to the locker room that we don't know about. Maybe Marshall is too stupid or too stubborn to listen to what McD has to say. To automatically assume that he's not trying to smooth it over is ridiculous.

Perhaps you should spend more time trying to look at this objectively than trying to bash my education. :coffee:

Benetto
06-15-2009, 05:46 PM
How do you know McD isn't trying to smooth things over in with Brandon? Do you have some special behind the scenes pass to the locker room that we don't know about. Maybe Marshall is too stupid or too stubborn to listen to what McD has to say. To automatically assume that he's not trying to smooth it over is ridiculous.

Perhaps you should spend more time trying to look at this objectively than trying to bash my education. :coffee:
I wasn't trying to bash anything....I was simply saying you were questioning who signs the checks implying I said they should shut him up and sign him to his requested extension...When clearly I was stating he should have a man 2 man with him and not play man 2 dictator like he did Jay.

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 05:49 PM

recent history would seem to indicate that little Hitler does not care for players who dare rock the boat.

BroncoWave
06-15-2009, 05:49 PM
I wasn't trying to bash anything....I was simply saying you were questioning who signs the checks implying I said they should shut him up and sign him to his requested extension...When clearly I was stating he should have a man 2 man with him and not play man 2 dictator like he did Jay.

And like I said, you don't know if McD is trying to do that or not. For all we know, McD is trying to fix it but Marshall is to dumb or too stubborn to listen to him; and given Marshall's history of decision-making would that really surprise you?

Lonestar
06-15-2009, 05:50 PM

maybe if he were given the opportunity to work with BM the moron would have liked what he has seen..

But instead of doing the he is getting texts from his old pal in Chicago about how great it is there and how he is going to get a sweet deal shortly and would he like to come up and join him..

If Y'all do not think there is some truth to that then you bigger Homer than can understand this is about a TEAM of players that are going to Play as a team and not just pitch and catch between two folks.. and HOPE they get to a playoff..

Y'all need to stop being player fans and become TEAM fans and figure out what is best for the TEAM.. not what is best for your guy..

Requiem / The Dagda
06-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Yeah, for the life of me I don't know why McDaniels is getting pissed on in this situation. McDaniels has done nothing but support Marshall in press conferences and through the media since he has been here. Not sure why we are raining down in him.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Y'all need to stop being player fans and become TEAM fans and figure out what is best for the TEAM.. not what is best for your guy..

Ever come to think that us fans of the Denver Broncos feel that our team is better with Marshall on it instead of off it?

Dortoh
06-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Yeah, for the life of me I don't know why McDaniels is getting pissed on in this situation. McDaniels has done nothing but support Marshall in press conferences and through the media since he has been here. Not sure why we are raining down in him.

The HC always get the shit when there is trouble in paradise.

Seriously things have not exactly gone well since McD walked into Dove Valley.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-15-2009, 05:54 PM
maybe if he were given the opportunity to work with BM the moron would have liked what he has seen..

But instead of doing the he is getting texts from his old pal in Chicago about how great it is there and how he is going to get a sweet deal shortly and would he like to come up and join him..

If Y'all do not think there is some truth to that then you bigger Homer than can understand this is about a TEAM of players that are going to Play as a team and not just pitch and catch between two folks.. and HOPE they get to a playoff..

I also think that Cutler just might be talking with BM in regards to this.

dogfish
06-15-2009, 05:54 PM

please, it's disingenuous at best to hide behind that! mcdaniels CLEARLY has a big say in all of our personnel decisions, just like pretty much every other head coach in the league. . . it's never been made entirely clear whether he has "the final say," but let's not act like xanders the bean counter is running the show on his own-- doogie may not actually write the contracts, but he most certainly is involved in deciding who gets them. . .

in any case, i do think it's wrong to blame this on doogie before we get more information, and i do think that marshall's desire for more loot is at the heart of the issue. . . however, that doesn't mean that there aren't other factors involved as well. . . remember, this discussion is about him supposedly asking for a trade, not just a new contract. . . who's to say that he doesn't care for the way cutler was treated, for the way mike leach was shown the door for no good reason, the way weigmann's performance isn't being rewarded? maybe he's thinking to himself that he doesn't like the way the new regime does business, doesn't like our chances of winning and/or his potential role in doogie's offense, and it seems like now is as good a time as any to get the **** out of dodge. . . those could be factors in this as well. . .

and although i'm not ready to throw doogie any further under the bus on this particular issue, i most definitely understand the frustration that ben's expressing over this. . . it's pretty easy to see where denver fans could be unhappy with the front office as a whole with the way this offseason has played out so far-- they're on the hot seat right now with a lot of fans after cutlergate, and burning an awful lot of value in some questionable draft day trades. . . they need to get this one right! no more rookie mistakes!

sneakers
06-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Man, we suck.

dogfish
06-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Ever come to think that us fans of the Denver Broncos feel that our team is better with Marshall on it instead of off it?

yea, i always thought that it was good to have talented players on your TEAM-- WTF was i thinking??

:noidea:

Dean
06-15-2009, 05:59 PM

IMO McKid should "one on one" talk to B-Marsh and explain the organization and, likely, other organizations hesitance in putting up big money with the hip and arm injuries as well as the possible suspension hanging over his head.

Since the hip injury was seemingly misdiagnosed by the Broncos staff I would give him assurances that the organization would do all that they could to stand behind him.

It should be pointed out to him that this is his contract year and as the coach and play caller every effort will be made to throw in his direct if he gets seperation (aka Randy Moss).

If the owners and players can't reach an agreement the Broncos could tag him for two years at a low salary. Give him a promise that the organization won't do that and it might do wonders. Maybe we could re-sign him during next season once the injury questions have been answered. Otherwise, IMO, he will skip all but last six weeks of the season and move on anyway.

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 06:14 PM
IMO McKid should "one on one" talk to B-Marsh and explain the organization and, likely, other organizations hesitance in putting up big money with the hip and arm injuries as well as the possible suspension hanging over his head.

Since the hip injury was seemingly misdiagnosed by the Broncos staff I would give him assurances that the organization would do all that they could to stand behind him.

I hope that's what Bowlen was doing.

It should be pointed out to him that this is his contract year and as the coach and play caller every effort will be made to throw in his direct if he gets seperation (aka Randy Moss).

That's his agent's job, not McDaniels.

If the owners and players can't reach an agreement the Broncos could tag him for two years at a low salary. Give him a promise that the organization won't do that and it might do wonders. Maybe we could re-sign him during next season once the injury questions have been answered. Otherwise, IMO, he will skip all but last six weeks of the season and move on anyway.

If you mean the Franchise Tag, I believe he would be getting the Top 5 player money he wants.

Lonestar
06-15-2009, 06:18 PM
The HC always get the shit when there is trouble in paradise.

Seriously things have not exactly gone well since McD walked into Dove Valley.

but when you really look at why he was hired and mike was fired they were not all that great before he walked into Dove Valley..

we had a core of primadonna players that mike drooled over and allowed to do as they wished.. and probably whispered in their ear this year would be a fat payday for them...

we have almost NO depth anywhere on this team at least not quality depth.. our coaching the past few years other than Turner has been a joke.. only the past couple of years have the Draftees been worth keeping around after their rookie contracts were up..

this team has been winning with smoke and mirrors for a few years now and it was a cardboard city about to collapse..

go back and see how many games Jason pulled out of the fire mostly against mediocre to lousy teams.. and how many times we got stroked big time when we should have won huge.. and lets not even talk about home field advantage the past 4-5 years..

Pat IMHO was about 4 years late in making a change..

he could have fired Mike the GM and got a real GM in here to evaluate talent, do contracts and hire coaches with or with out the HC consent..

as we all know the D side has been lousy for a long time since maybe as far back as Robinson.. sure the run defense was good for a few years and then the pass D was but they were never good at the same time.. so sure the run D was top 5 but the pass D was bottom ten so they really did not have to run the ball they could pass at will..

YES Tned I'm bashing mike again but think about just how many games we blew others socks off the past decade.. did we dominate anyone BUT OAK..

Denver Native (Carol)
06-15-2009, 06:22 PM
WOW - on June 3rd, this guy stated the following:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/191391-chicago-bears-to-trade-for-brandon-marshall

Could Brandon Marshall Be Traded to the Chicago Bears?

Brandon Marshall has been a superstar in Denver since Jay Cutler got there. The two have been good friends for years, and now Cutler is a Chicago Bear.

Marshall wasn't suspended for any games during the season, but it is possible that he could hold out. This is a great time for the Bears to make a run for Marshall. If they could acquire him, I have no doubt that they could go far into the playoffs.

Cutler really wants Marshall in Chicago, but Jerry Angelo has to make the decision.

In the past, Angelo has gotten his primary players in the draft, and he isn't big on free agency. Cutler has received a lot of respect in Chicago, and if he put his word in to get Marshall, then I believe that he will have his proposal considered.

Dean
06-15-2009, 06:34 PM
I hope that's what Bowlen was doing.

I thought it might be more effective coming from the man who actually makes the decissions.

That's his agent's job, not McDaniels.

I don't see his agent as having the Broncos interests at heart. I am hoping that the head coach might take the leadership role in an attempt to retain a talented player.

If you mean the Franchise Tag, I believe he would be getting the Top 5 player money he wants.

No I didn't mean the franchise tag. I might be wrong here, but reading about what would transpire with noncontract seasons there was another option. If I understand correctly, what would have been a team's free agents could be retained for up to two years with only a 10% salary increase from the previous year.

atwater27
06-15-2009, 06:38 PM

That would be ******* awesome. I think i would pee my panties out of pure schoolgirl joy.

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 06:38 PM
I thought it might be more effective coming from the man who actually makes the decissions.

I don't see his agent as having the Broncos interests at heart. I am hoping that the head coach might take the leadership role in an attempt to retain a talented player.

No I didn't mean the franchise tag. I might be wrong here, but reading about what would transpire with noncontract seasons there was another option. If I understand correctly, what would have been a team's free agents could be retained for up to two years with only a 10% salary increase from the previous year.

I can understand that first statement, but in that case, I think the organization deferred to Bowlen on this one, and probably because of the suspension possibilities.

I don't think his agent has the Broncos interests at heart, either. And I understand McDaniels sitting down with Marshall (but, again, this is on Marshall and whether he would show to camp...he failed to do that, so I don't know when McDaniels would have had the chance to do this). However, the contract year talk, that's what his agent should be telling him, and he certainly shouldn't be telling him to threaten a hold out.

Thanks for that info on the contracts, I'm really confused about the possibility of this uncapped year and its affects on free agency.

BroncoWave
06-15-2009, 06:45 PM
That would be ******* awesome. I think i would pee my panties out of pure schoolgirl joy.

As would I, but it would make no sense from the Cardinals standpoint to trade one Primma Donna WR for another Primma Donna WR who also has legal baggage. I would definitely take it though.

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 06:47 PM
As would I, but it would make no sense from the Cardinals standpoint to trade one Primma Donna WR for another Primma Donna WR who also has legal baggage. I would definitely take it though.

I seriously think it could be done if Denver threw in a third. Seriously.

If I'm Xanders, I'm on the phone with Arizona yesterday.

Lonestar
06-15-2009, 06:49 PM

I read somewhere that as RFA in 2011-12 he would be paid $3.13 mil a year.. based on current info.

Based on his $2.2 that he was scheduled to get this year..

Den21vsBal19
06-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Hard to do when said players either a) don't answer the phone or b) stay at home for 'treatment'

The only thing, as far as I can see, in this case that the Broncos have done 'wrong' is not given a big rise to a player who has had two major surgeries in the last two years and can't stay out of trouble...................

jrelway
06-15-2009, 07:21 PM
dont get no worse than this. i love this offseason.

horsepig
06-15-2009, 07:37 PM

I pee my panties all the time.

Poet
06-15-2009, 08:16 PM

That is not true. A coach cannot just automatically keep a team together. If someone decides they are not going to be part of a team, thems the breaks.

A head coach cannot babysit players. McDaniels cannot turn Brandon Marshall into a team player. He also can't fix the guy's issues off the field.

Why are you so mad at McDaniels and not the loser WR?

Brandon Marshall sucks.

End of story.

Poet
06-15-2009, 08:26 PM
yea, i always thought that it was good to have talented players on your TEAM-- WTF was i thinking??

:noidea:

Just because you have talented players on your team does not mean you are going to do anything. Buffalo has had several talented teams in recent years, they got nada. My Bengals kept hosting one of the most talented teams in the NFL, one playoff to show for it. The Cardinals for years were immensely talented with nothing to show for it. Those are one types of extremes.

The other type of extremes would be teams like the Chargers, Seahawks, the Chiefs with a healthy Priest Holmes, etc etc etc.

If any fan is mad and blames McDaniels then they are either stupid or being irrational. Yes, your head coach has a big say in the players. Your front office seems to really consistent of two people; Bowlen and McDaniels. I know there are more guys in your FO than that, but that is what it looks like to me.

That being said, Brandon Marshall is bad for your team. On the bright side, that can change. Randy Moss used to be bad for the Vikings and Raiders. He became a Patriot and suddenly he went back to being the best WR in football. Chad Johnson used to be a good thing for the Bengals. He then suddenly became a douchebag. Now he is starting to become the "good chad" but I trust it as much as I trust a steak from Denny's.

It is possible that the idiot decides to "get his mind right".

But odds are that wherever his long term team is (Denver included) he will put up gaudy numbers and hurt the team. The funny thing about selfish WRs (and believe me, he qualifies) is that they are almost always bad for your locker room.

Right now you are not in total rebuilding mode. The loss of Marshall would probably put you there. That being said, that is not that bad of a thing. A team in the NFL can transition from rebuilding into real playoff contender in a hurry.

Considering you are "rebuilding" from a team that has not made the playoffs, I don't think it is that big of a deal anyway.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Local stations are now starting to report on this:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/19762223/detail.html

Brandon Marshall Requests Trade
Seeking New Contract, Broncos All-Pro Receiver Wants Out Of Denver

DENVER -- Rumors are swirling that wide receiver Brandon Marshall has requested a trade and could land in Baltimore.

NFL Insider, Adam Schefter is reporting that during Marshall's meeting with owner Pat Bowlen on Friday, he also requested a trade.

Seeking a new contract to remain with the Broncos, Marshall is facing $35,00 in fines for missing the Broncos mandatory mini-camp. Entering the final and fourth year of his contract, Marshall is scheduled to make $2.2 million next season.

Marshall missed all three days of camp over the weekend as he tries to win a new contract.

Marshall met with team owner Pat Bowlen on Friday and coach Josh McDaniels spoke with Marshall's agent over the weekend.

For now, the two sides seem to be at an impasse. The club doesn't appear anxious to renegotiate with Marshall, who's recovering from hip surgery.

AND

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/nfl.denver.broncos.2.1045781.html

Reports: Brandon Marshall Wants To Be Traded

Could wide receiver Brandon Marshall be the next disgruntled Bronco looking for a ticket out of town? Reports say Marshall is following the same path as Jay Cutler by telling the Broncos he wants to be traded.

Marshall was a no-show at the Broncos mandatory minicamp last weekend. However he did meet with Broncos owner Pat Bowlen on Friday afternoon. It's believed that during that meeting Marshall requested the trade.

The Broncos tell CBS4 Sports they are aware of the reports, but have no comment. Efforts to reach Marshall's agent have been unsuccessful.

Marshall has never said in public what his complaints are with the Broncos, but by all accounts they center around two issues: Money and health.

Marshall wants a new contract. He's due to make roughly $2 million dollars this season. That's well below the salaries of the top paid receivers in the NFL, and Marshall believes he's worth a raise after a Pro Bowl season in 2008.

Marshall is also reportedly upset with the Broncos' handling of his hip injury. Marshall underwent surgery on the hip in the offseason and has been rehabbing away from the Broncos facility.

AND

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=117754&catid=339

Marshall reportedly demands trade

DENVER (AP) - The Broncos have signed free-agent wide receiver Brandon Lloyd on the same day a radio station reported holdout Pro Bowl receiver Brandon Marshall wants to follow Jay Cutler out of Denver.

Lloyd is a seventh-year pro with 15 career touchdown catches who played for Chicago last season. He's also played for Washington and San Francisco.

His signing comes as Adam Schefter, who will join ESPN in August, reported Monday on the Broncos' flagship radio network, KOA in Denver, that Marshall requested the trade during a meeting Friday with team owner Pat Bowlen.

Marshall walked out of the meeting with several boxes of belongings and didn't speak with reporters.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-15-2009, 08:48 PM
http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-broncos-marshall-trade-061509,0,7598812.story

DENVER, Colo. - Troubled Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall has asked the team for a trade, a prominent NFL insider reported Monday.

Adam Schefter told 850 KOA radio that Marshall, who missed a mandatory team minicamp this past weekend, made the request during a meeting with Broncos owner Pat Bowlen on Friday.

Marshall is due $2.2 million this season, the final year of a four-year contract he signed as a rookie. He is reportedly looking to renegotiate.

In addition to missing the mandatory minicamp, Marshall also missed part of the Broncos' optional passing camp earlier this spring after hip surgery. At the time his agent, Kennard McGuire, said it wasn't a ploy to seek a new contract.

Marshall has been openly critical of the Broncos' medical staff which, in his opinion, misdiagnosed his injury. He has been rehabbing in Orlando with an independent medical team.

Despite Marshall's request, Schefter does not believe the Broncos will trade their most potent offensive threat.

"He's not going anywhere," Schefter said. "The Broncos say they're not going to trade him."

Schefter said other teams were closely monitoring the situation.

Coincidentally, the Broncos signed veteran wide receiver Brandon Lloyd on Monday. Terms of the deal were not released.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-15-2009, 09:04 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9687318/Broncos-sign-Lloyd-amid-reports-Marshall-wants-out

DENVER (AP) - The Broncos signed free-agent receiver Brandon Lloyd on the same day a radio station reported Pro Bowl wideout Brandon Marshall wants to follow Jay Cutler out of Denver.

Lloyd is a seventh-year pro with 15 career touchdown catches who played for Chicago last season. He's also played for Washington and San Francisco.

His signing comes as Adam Schefter, who will join ESPN in August, reported Monday on the Broncos' flagship radio network, KOA in Denver, that Marshall requested a trade during a meeting Friday with team owner Pat Bowlen.

Marshall, who skipped Denver's mandatory minicamp last weekend, walked out of the meeting with several boxes of belongings and didn't speak with reporters as he drove out of the team's parking lot.

A team spokesman said Monday the Broncos were aware of the report of a trade request by Marshall but had no comment. Marshall's agent, Kennard McGuire, didn't return messages from The Associated Press.

If Marshall gets a ticket out of town, that will make two Pro Bowlers who won't be back in '09. Cutler forced a trade to Chicago after a falling out with new coach Josh McDaniels.

The Broncos' other Pro Bowler, center Casey Wiegmann, also has asked for a better contract but he participated in last weekend's minicamp and other offseason work.

Marshall, who was supposed to attend the minicamp even though he's rehabbing from March 31 hip surgery, faces tens of thousands of dollars in fines for going AWOL. He also skipped three weeks of voluntary workouts while rehabbing under the care of his personal doctors back home in Orlando, Fla.

Marshall's issue with the team is primarily about money but he also has cited a lack of trust in Denver's medical staff for not wanting to rehab at team headquarters following what he has called a misdiagnosis of his hip injury last year.

In his most recent posting on his Web site, Marshall wrote: "It's kind of funny now but some of my coaches thought I was getting 'big-headed' and just didn't want to practice but I needed some fine tuning.

"What made last year so weird was that I got two MRIs, one in camp and the second around week six and was told nothing was wrong but come to find out THERE WAS A BIT OF A PROBLEM after all," Marshall added. "LOL. I guess that's part of the business. So after all that, I'm now even more excited about playing this season at 100%. This year I can help my team more and hopefully we can get to the playoffs."

Marshall made $1.5 million in each of his first three seasons after being drafted in the fourth round in 2006. Making the Pro Bowl last year escalated his 2009 pay to $2.2 million.

His desire for a contract befitting his back-to-back 100-catch seasons and stellar play is hampered by all the health and legal issues surrounding the Broncos' enigmatic star.

Will he return from hip surgery the same player who averaged 103 receptions, 1,295 yards and seven TDs each of the last two seasons?

And will he even be available for a full season?

Although the league decided Marshall won't face a suspension over his arrest in Atlanta this spring for fighting with his new fiancee, Marshall faces a trial later this summer on two misdemeanor battery charges stemming from an altercation with his former girlfriend.

The outcome of that case could subject Marshall to punishment from the NFL even though it was part of what triggered his summons to commissioner Roger Goodell's office last summer, when Marshall was suspended for the season opener and fined two paychecks after a series of police-related incidents involving his former girlfriend.

Marshall caught 104 passes for 1,265 yards and six TDs last season. But he dropped 18 on-target passes, something he blamed on the nerve damage in his right arm, which he said he put through a television set while horsing around with his brother a year ago in the offseason.

The Broncos are off until training camp in late July. If Marshall is still on the team, he could become their first camp holdout since Ashlie Lelie in 2006. Lelie forced a trade to Atlanta, which gave Marshall his chance to begin making his mark in Denver.

dogfish
06-15-2009, 09:17 PM
http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-broncos-marshall-trade-061509,0,7598812.story

DENVER, Colo. - Troubled Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall has asked the team for a trade, a prominent NFL insider reported Monday.

Adam Schefter told 850 KOA radio that Marshall, who missed a mandatory team minicamp this past weekend, made the request during a meeting with Broncos owner Pat Bowlen on Friday.

Marshall is due $2.2 million this season, the final year of a four-year contract he signed as a rookie. He is reportedly looking to renegotiate.

In addition to missing the mandatory minicamp, Marshall also missed part of the Broncos' optional passing camp earlier this spring after hip surgery. At the time his agent, Kennard McGuire, said it wasn't a ploy to seek a new contract.

Marshall has been openly critical of the Broncos' medical staff which, in his opinion, misdiagnosed his injury. He has been rehabbing in Orlando with an independent medical team.

Despite Marshall's request, Schefter does not believe the Broncos will trade their most potent offensive threat.

"He's not going anywhere," Schefter said. "The Broncos say they're not going to trade him."

Schefter said other teams were closely monitoring the situation.

Coincidentally, the Broncos signed veteran wide receiver Brandon Lloyd on Monday. Terms of the deal were not released.

"Jay Cutler is our quarterback."

- Josh McDaniels

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 09:18 PM
"Jay Cutler is our quarterback."

- Josh McDaniels

"I play for my teammates."

- Jay Cutler

What's your point?

People in sports lie all the damn time to the media.

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 09:25 PM
The more and more we go through this shit, I realize what a cluster**** Mike Shanahan was running. Nepotism, promises and favoritism. Do I know the new way will work? Hell no, but I like the direction.

Let the whiners and the babies go. Let's get people in here who understand what their job is.

BroncoWave
06-15-2009, 09:51 PM
The more and more we go through this shit, I realize what a cluster**** Mike Shanahan was running. Nepotism, promises and favoritism. Do I know the new way will work? Hell no, but I like the direction.

Let the whiners and the babies go. Let's get people in here who understand what their job is.

Agreed. So many people are saying "none of this ever would have happened under shanny." Those people are probably right. Shanny would have just folded to them and let them have their way and the steady decline this franchise is on would probably have continued. I'm glad to have someone here who is going to let the players know who's boss instead of having someone who just coddles them and lets them get away with pretty much whatever the hell they want.

NightTrainLayne
06-15-2009, 09:55 PM
I read that statement from Brandon on his web-site the other day and it struck me, but I never posted on it.

Now that I see it again. . ."my coaches thought I was getting 'big-headed' and just didn't want to practice.. ." Those coaches he's talking about were the Shanahan regime.

Shanny's staff thought BM was getting a big head? Well, if Shanny's staff thought that, how do you imagine he's presented himself to the new staff?

Let's face it, if BM is making it a point to let us know that Shanny's staff thought he was getting a big head. .. then he was probably getting a big head.

lex
06-15-2009, 10:11 PM
"I play for my teammates."

- Jay Cutler

What's your point?

Jay's problem was with his teammates? It seems more likely it was with McDaniels and/or Bowlen. He said he'd be at the mandatory stuff.

lex
06-15-2009, 10:13 PM

Did McDaniels not hire his brother off some HS football team?

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Jay's problem was with his teammates? It seems more likely it was with McDaniels and/or Bowlen. He said he'd be at the mandatory stuff.

Yeah, Jay lied too, and he said a lot of shit...what's your point?

Lonestar
06-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Agreed. So many people are saying "none of this ever would have happened under shanny." Those people are probably right. Shanny would have just folded to them and let them have their way and the steady decline this franchise is on would probably have continued. I'm glad to have someone here who is going to let the players know who's boss instead of having someone who just coddles them and lets them get away with pretty much whatever the hell they want.

NOT sure that he coddled alot of folks there was a 3 spot dog house that was often full and when there was not room someone got cut.. did he coddle some well not everyone agrees with that..

Seem to remember that crowder was in it all last year but seems to be a front runner this year for a starting spot. yes I know a different position this year,.. But I fail to believe that he was relegated to the inactive slots, every week when our DLINE SUCKED so bad..

lex
06-15-2009, 10:18 PM
How is that relevant?

You and I don't have the same interests. You are very apparently interested in
pissing contests. I am interested in the issue at hand.

Anybody else willing to discuss? I'm through with this guy here . . .

-----

Its relevant because Marshall and Bowlen are fighting over the same piece of meat. Its a piece of meat that the fans threw out there to be had. Bowlen is no better than Marshall. You seem to have this preoccupation with giving Bowlen some pass when he is no better than Marshall. You could also say Pat is taking the fans for granted.

Lonestar
06-15-2009, 10:18 PM
"What made last year so weird was that I got two MRIs, one in camp and the second around week six and was told nothing was wrong but come to find out THERE WAS A BIT OF A PROBLEM after all," Marshall added"

now it that a legal term or something that was a major issue.. or did he have the surgery just to "clean to up a BIT"

I think we all know that this has been about money from day one.. Follow the money folks that was it was..

Not sure how Josh could be a fault for that or for that matter his hip issues..

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Its relevant because Marshall and Bowlen are fighting over the same piece of meat. Its a piece of meat that the fans threw out there to be had. Bowlen is no better than Marshall. You seem to have this preoccupation with giving Bowlen some pass when he is no better than Marshall. You could also say Pat is taking the fans for granted.

I guess I missed the part where Bowlen is beating up fans. A link would be nice.

TIA.

lex
06-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Yeah, Jay lied too, and he said a lot of shit...what's your point?

Speaking of lies, you should check out Bowlens speech when he fired Shanahan. Its lie-infested. And Bowlen is a saintly owner (according to some). Cutler shouldnt be held to a higher standard than Bowlen.

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Speaking of lies, you should check out Bowlens speech when he fired Shanahan. Its lie-infested. And Bowlen is a saintly owner (according to some). Cutler shouldnt be held to a higher standard than Bowlen.

Again, your point?

lex
I guess I missed the part where Bowlen is beating up fans. A link would be nice.

TIA.

Beating up? Try avarice.

topscribe

Heard Bowlen's speech, several times.

Missed the lies . . . :coffee:

-----

lex
06-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Again, your point?

You should be asking yourself that. Youre the one who wants to hold Jays feet to the fire for stuff that the FO is more guilty of.

topscribe
06-15-2009, 10:25 PM
It would be nice if you would take us through a transcript of Bowlen's speech
and, point-by-point, show us where he was supposed to have lied, replete with
documentation.

-----

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 10:25 PM
You should be asking yourself that. Youre the one who wants to hold Jays feet to the fire for stuff that the FO is more guilty of.

What in the world are you trying to prove here?

lex
06-15-2009, 10:30 PM
It would be nice if you would take us through a transcript of Bowlen's speech
and, point-by-point, show us where he was supposed to have lied, replete with
documentation.

-----

I will but you have to make it worth my while. If I provide it, then you have to disappear from here for a month. Agree?

lex
06-15-2009, 10:31 PM
BTW, do we have a deal?

broncogirl7
06-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Lets see here

3. Hire a rookie HC

**** me.

Amen and **** me too!

topscribe
06-15-2009, 10:38 PM
I will but you have to make it worth my while. If I provide it, then you have to disappear from here for a month. Agree?

Do those deals with someone else.

Now, you made the charge, and it is quite a serious one: You called Mr. Bowlen
a liar, citing his termination speech of Shanahan as an example. It is up to you
to prove you did not slander Mr. Bowlen by elaborating on that charge and
providing the proper, documented evidence.

If you can't do that to the satisfaction of the board, then you behave yourself
and act like a normal poster for the next year. How about that deal?

*In fact, that would be a good idea for you if you can do it.*

-----

dogfish
06-15-2009, 10:45 PM
What's your point?

that WAS my point. . . .

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 10:47 PM
that WAS my point. . . .

See, I'm not getting this at all...players are allowed to lie, but coaches are not?

dogfish
06-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Did McDaniels not hire his brother off some HS football team?

not to mention overpaying to bring in his buddy the longsnapper when the position was already filled witha highly competent pro. . . i can understand bringing in jabbar gaffney and lamont jordan , since they do know his offensive scheme, but people are kidding themselves if they think the good ol' boy system isn't alive and well under doogie. . . .

lex
06-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Do those deals with someone else.

Now, you made the charge, and it is quite a serious one: You called Mr. Bowlen
a liar, citing his termination speech of Shanahan as an example. It is up to you
to prove you did not slander Mr. Bowlen by elaborating on that charge and
providing the proper, documented evidence.

If you can't do that to the satisfaction of the board, then you behave yourself
and act like a normal poster for the next year. How about that deal?

*In fact, that would be a good idea for you if you can do it.*

-----

And no, I wouldnt consent to something the board approves of. Id have to respect more people here than I actually do for you to pull something like that off.

Anyway, here it is. Good luck living this down.

http://broncotalk.net/2008/12/pat-bowlen-press-conference-transcript/

dogfish
06-15-2009, 10:51 PM
See, I'm not getting this at all...players are allowed to lie, but coaches are not?

hunh? i think you might be confusing me with lex. . . ?

i didn't say a thing about who's "allowed" to lie and who's not. . . merely pointed out that schefter declaring that the team isn't interested in trading marshall doesn't mean much to me, because they said they weren't going to trade cutler, and we saw how that worked out. . .

lex
06-15-2009, 10:53 PM

Do you not hold the commonly held belief that coaches and owners are positions of authority more than players?

Tned
06-15-2009, 10:54 PM

It's not about one group being allowed and one group not, it is how certain fans make baseless statements about how it is all the player's 'fault' and others make baseless statements about it all being the 'coaches' fault, when the reality is that we have no idea who is lieing and who isn't, or who is most at fault.

The sad part is how fans are willing to shred each other to bits in order to blindly follow their 'perceived' version of the truth, which as previously mentioned typically has no basis in truth, but only pure speculation.

topscribe
06-15-2009, 10:58 PM
And no, I wouldnt consent to something the board approves of. Id have to respect more people here than I actually do for you to pull something like that off.

Anyway, here it is. Good luck living this down.

http://broncotalk.net/2008/12/pat-bowlen-press-conference-transcript/

No, providing the transcript is only half of it. Now you need to take it point-by-
point and tell us where you think Mr. Bowlen is lying and why, and provide the
documentation to back it up.

Regarding your remark about respect: you just exposed your problem here.
I guess that's where you and I part: I do respect the other people here . . . :coffee:

-----

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 11:02 PM
It's not about one group being allowed and one group not, it is how certain fans make baseless statements about how it is all the player's 'fault' and others make baseless statements about it all being the 'coaches' fault, when the reality is that we have no idea who is lieing and who isn't, or who is most at fault.

The sad part is how fans are willing to shred each other to bits in order to blindly follow their 'perceived' version of the truth, which as previously mentioned typically has no basis in truth, but only pure speculation.

Don't know what your beef with me is, but that's exactly the point I was trying to make. Why are some fans condemning management while letting players lie, and vice versa.

And, I'm still trying to figure out who I'm trying to "shred to pieces."

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Do you not hold the commonly held belief that coaches and owners are positions of authority more than players?

So, that means players are allowed to lie, but coaches are not?

I'm still not getting the point laid out here. And, no, Tned, that's not baiting.

Tned
06-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Don't know what your beef with me is, but that's exactly the point I was trying to make. Why are some fans condemning management while letting players lie, and vice versa.

And, I'm still trying to figure out who I'm trying to "shred to pieces."

First, I didn't say MO was trying to shred..., I said fans (the s on the end indicates plural, or more than one -- so by definition could not simply have been referring to you).

Second, there are a few people in this thread that are simply flaming each other for the sake of doing so.

Why don't we all pretend to be the adults that our age would indicate we are and stop attacking and flaming each other and instead have civil debates and discussions on the matter?

lex
06-15-2009, 11:07 PM
No, providing the transcript is only half of it. Now you need to take it point-by-
point and tell us where you think Mr. Bowlen is lying and why, and provide the
documentation to back it up.

Regarding your remark about respect: you just exposed your problem here.
I guess that's where you and I part: I do respect the other people here . . . :coffee:

-----

No, you need to read the transcript. I would have spoonfed it to you but you didnt take my deal.

Tned
06-15-2009, 11:10 PM
MO / LEX / TOP

You guys cool it. If you want to continue your pissing contest, take it to PMs or something.

Lonestar
06-15-2009, 11:13 PM
MO / LEX / TOP

You guys cool it. If you want to continue your pissing contest, take it to PMs or something.

Just for a few minutes lets all take a time out and I'll see you in 15 minutes so we can then be civil..

and lets get

:focus:..

frauschieze
06-16-2009, 12:03 AM
Alright, let's try this again.

sneakers
06-16-2009, 12:05 AM
1st!

Requiem / The Dagda
06-16-2009, 12:08 AM
What up Sneakers? First what? Mashall's first-grade mentality is pissing me off dude.

NameUsedBefore
06-16-2009, 12:11 AM
1st!

NameUsedBefore
06-16-2009, 12:12 AM
Dammit.

frauschieze
06-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Guys.....knock it off. Stat.

Lonestar
06-16-2009, 12:23 AM
sorry folks forgot to open it back up thanks Frau for covering my butt. getting ready to go on a vacation of sorts..

Now lets play nice or she is gonna slap the snot of of Y'all..

Lonestar
06-16-2009, 12:49 AM
Rehash by FOXSports.com

Updated: June 15, 2009, 10:59 PM EDT

After missing the Broncos' mandatory minicamp on Friday, Brandon Marshall's holdout may soon be over.

The star wide receiver asked Broncos owner Pat Bowlen for a trade during a meeting on Friday, according to a report by Adam Schefter on the team's flagship radio network, KOA in Denver.

Marshall walked out of the meeting with several boxes of belongings and didn't speak with reporters.

Marshall's agent, Kennard McGuire, however, was not available for comment.

Marshall, who was supposed to attend the minicamp even though he's rehabbing from March 31 hip surgery, faces tens of thousands of dollars in fines for going AWOL. He also skipped three weeks of voluntary workouts while rehabbing under the care of his personal doctors back home in Orlando, Fla.

Marshall's issue with the team is primarily about money but he also has cited a lack of trust in Denver's medical staff for not wanting to rehab at team headquarters following what he has called a misdiagnosis of his hip injury last year.

In his most recent posting on his Web site, Marshall wrote: "It's kind of funny now but some of my coaches thought I was getting 'big-headed' and just didn't want to practice but I needed some fine tuning.

"What made last year so weird was that I got two MRIs, one in camp and the second around week six and was told nothing was wrong but come to find out THERE WAS A BIT OF A PROBLEM after all," Marshall added. "LOL. I guess that's part of the business. So after all that, I'm now even more excited about playing this season at 100%. This year I can help my team more and hopefully we can get to the playoffs."

Marshall made $1.5 million in each of his first three seasons after being drafted in the fourth round in 2006. Making the Pro Bowl last year escalated his 2009 pay to $2.2 million.

His desire for a contract befitting his back-to-back 100-catch seasons and stellar play is hampered by all the health and legal issues surrounding the Broncos' enigmatic star.

Although the league decided Marshall won't face a suspension over his arrest in Atlanta this spring for fighting with his new fiancee, Marshall faces a trial later this summer on two misdemeanor battery charges stemming from an altercation with his former girlfriend.

The outcome of that case could subject Marshall to punishment from the NFL even though it was part of what triggered his summons to commissioner Roger Goodell's office last summer, when Marshall was suspended for the season opener and fined two paychecks after a series of police-related incidents involving his former girlfriend.

The Broncos, meanwhile, signed free-agent wide receiver Brandon Lloyd on Monday.

The Associated Press contributed to this report

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9687202/Report:-Marshall-wants-trade,-Broncos-sign-Lloyd

BTW the FOX Sports Poll taken on this:

Should the broncos trade Marshall?..

YES 74%
NO 26%

total votes 16,002

BroncoTech
06-16-2009, 01:15 AM
There once was a man name Brandon
his team he decided to abandon
He said with a grin that his wallet was thin
if you want to play him now it will be in Madden

The loyal felt betrayed as he requested a trade
filling the forums with a useless chatter
instead of changing his life he's slapping his wife
and the management couldn't be madder

Oh No said the fans as they change their jersey buying plans
We've seen this before with a cutler
We expected better and even mailed a letter
it's all the faithful could muster

Management stood firm as they explained the terms
your contract is not broken
but they flew separate ways and all through the days
nary a word was spoken

On the highlight reels fans watching did squeal
that's the guy that's here no more
They checked the score as they kicked in the TV some more
we should have been a fan of Baltimore

Tned
06-16-2009, 07:24 AM

FWIW, I think this article has the salary information incorrect. It states (or seems to state) that he made $1.5 million each year, but I think it was more like $1.5 total in his first three years.

Marshall received a signing bonus of $420,000, and then a four year contract with rookie minimum salaries of:
2006 - $275,000
2007 - $360,000
2008 - $445,000
2009 - $530,000

As has been discussed, there was an escalator for 2009 (based on playing time I believe, but some have stated it was pased on performance or the pro-bowl appearance) that increased his 2009 salary to over $2 million.

Anyway, while I don't like players that choose to hold out and feel that even if a player feels he is underpaid, he needs to negotiate without breaking his contract, I did think it was worth setting the record straight on what he has been paid, since some reporters seem to be getting it wrong.

For the first three seasons of his career, Marshall has been paid the rookie minimum. The only part above the rookie minimum was his signing bonus, and a couple bonuses that amounted to a few thousand dollars each.