PDA

View Full Version : The New Plan for Marshall : Trade Him

Lonestar
06-14-2009, 08:45 PM
WR Brandon Marshall (AP Photo/D. Zalubowski) By Ed Thompson
Scout.com Senior NFL Analyst
Posted Jun 14, 2009

Ed Thompson says that Broncos owner Pat Bowlen needs a new Marshall plan and should ship the team's star receiver elsewhere while he still has some trade value.

For the good of the team, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen should jettison his star wide receiver, Brandon Marshall, while he still has some market value.

After skipping the team's mandatory workouts this past week, Marshall was reportedly spotted carrying boxes out to his car following a meeting with Bowlen. Rumors have been circulating for some time that the fourth-year receiver, who is still rehabbing from off-season hip surgery, would like a new contract.

Bowlen recently told ESPN that he and Marshall are on good terms, saying, "I'm very keen on having Brandon play for the Broncos."

While I respect Pat Bowlen and what he's accomplished through his franchise, that simply doesn't make sense to me. He should be putting the irresponsible fourth-year player on the trading block to avoid any more damage to the team's public image and brand.

If it's true that Marshall wants a new deal that would pay him as well as the league's other top receivers, that's simply ridiculous and really bad timing.

By entering into a new contract with Marshall now, Denver would be gambling big bucks on a player who, in just three short years:

Has been ordered to get anger management counseling in exchange for having false imprisonment and domestic violence charges dropped.
Has been sentenced to a year of probation after avoiding a likely DUI conviction by entering a guilty plea to driving while ability-impaired (after being pulled over with a reported blood-alcohol level of 0.116 in a state where the legal limit is 0.08).
Still has two counts of simple battery charges pending due to alleged violence against former-girlfriend Rasheedah Watley
Was suspended by the league for three games in 2008 (which was later reduced to one game after he complied with league requirements that included more counseling).
Was arrested in March along with Michi Nogami-Campbell -- just weeks after they were engaged -- by an off-duty police officer who reportedly saw the pair hitting and kicking each other in public.
Here's what the Pro Bowl receiver had to say about his latest brush with the law.

"The judge, the next day, he had the police report, he had all the facts in front of him." Marshall said during a recently televised ESPN interview. "He looked at it and saw that there was no wrong-doing, it was simply an argument, and they got it wrong."

Simply an argument? So the officer didn't see them hitting and kicking each other or Marshall pinning the woman up against a wall? Well, either the officer needs to get glasses and apologize to the Broncos receiver, or Marshall needs to understand that an argument is a verbal exchange, not a physical one.

By other accounts, the charges of disorderly conduct were dropped after both Marshall and Michi Nogami-Campbell refused to press charges against each other, not because the police "got it wrong" as Marshall suggested.

But maybe that's just the lens through which he sees the world, constantly putting his spin on incidents when his life spins out of control. After all, over the past few years he's had to talk with police officers following run-ins with two different women, his father, an off-duty police officer in a restaurant, and during his arrest as a DUI suspect. Yet through it all, Marshall seems to miss the point that the common denominator in all of his problems has been him.

During his interview with ESPN, Marshall repeatedly shuffled through a stack of papers as though he was seeking a prepared answer to some of the questions being posed. That hit me as odd since he was involved in every single incident. If he wanted to be on camera to simply tell the truth, why did he need to keep referring to those papers?

While I'd be surprised if his former girlfriend has been completely honest about what has transpired between the pair, Marshall brought his honesty further into doubt when he was asked about one specific incident where he allegedly blocked the taxi cab of his former girlfriend with his own vehicle and then pounded on the windows angrily, prompting her to call 911 for help. Her version of the story was reportedly backed up by the cab driver.

Marshall hesitated a few seconds before replying to the question about whether or not he had pounded on the windows. Then he looked into the camera and claimed that he had "tapped" on the window to get the cab driver's attention because the woman had his cell phone and he wanted it back.

Right. And that's why he agreed to go to anger management counseling after the incident in exchange for having the false imprisonment and domestic violence charges dropped. That tapping on windows can be pretty scary stuff.

While the league office opted not to suspend Marshall for his most recent arrest, you may want to jot down his reaction to that decision. I have a feeling these words will be coming back to haunt him, especially if he and his bride-to-be can't find a more civil way to "argue" than they did in Atlanta.

"Getting straight to the point, I understand that there can't be any more hiccups from me. With that said, I guarantee, repeat, I guarantee there won't be any more from this day forward," Marshall reportedly told Denver radio station KDVR. "I'm thankful to the league and their findings today, but this is also a continuance of me looking into the mirror and growing into the man I know I should be."

Former Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler realized that Marshall's immaturity was a big problem for the team last year, sharing his candid thoughts with the media after the receiver sustained a very serious cut that severed tendons in his arm. Marshall claimed that he had fallen into a television set while fooling around with his brother, an incident that he referenced as a wake-up call.

"He's had many wakeup calls," Cutler said last April. "I mean, he's been in [head coach Mike] Shanahan's office many times. I've been up there with him. He said the same thing, 'this is a wakeup call, this is the last thing that's going to happen. Blah blah blah.' I mean, until he goes out and proves it, we'll see what happens."

While Cutler didn't particularly think that Marshall was a bad person, "It's just something about him. He's always into something," he said.

With all the distraction and negative publicity that Marshall has brought to the Broncos organization in just three short years, Bowlen should tell the team's general manager, Brian Xanders, to make a few phone calls this week and find the most advantageous way to banish the receiver from Denver. The damage that Marshall has done to the team through choices he's made have tarnished an otherwise highly-respected organization. Continuing to ignore his repeated off-the-field problems sends a message that the team's public image is worth less than the allure of another 100-catch season.

And that's a shame.

Marshall isn't likely to catch 100 passes with Kyle Orton at quarterback anyway. And having him run routes along with squeaky-clean types like Eddie Royal and Brandon Stokley magnifies the difference between Marshall and the kind of people and players the Broncos organization usually tries to showcase.

Bowlen should raise his team's conduct standard to reflect the league's personal conduct policy that states: "It is not enough simply to avoid being found guilty of a crime. Instead, as an employee of the NFL or a member club, you are held to a higher standard and expected to conduct yourself in a way that is responsible, promotes the values upon which the league is based, and is lawful. Persons who fail to live up to this standard of conduct are guilty of conduct detrimental and subject to discipline, even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime."

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen has already made bold and difficult decisions, such as firing Mike Shanahan and trading Jay Cutler.

That statement is pretty clear. I don't see an asterisk or waiver for a player like Marshall just because he has caught 226 passes for 2,899 yards and 15 touchdowns during his three-year career. And rather than waiting to see if the league will slap Marshall with more penalties after his pending assault trial, Bowlen should make a statement to everyone associated with the organization that they have no room on their roster for players who are magnets for trouble. The distractions to the team and the damage to the team's brand isn't worth it.

Bowlen could also send a message to Marshall that might help him turn his life around, much like the Vikings did when they traded malcontent Randy Moss to the hapless Oakland Raiders a few years ago. Moss withered into anonymity in Oakland, leaving him pining for a better opportunity. And when he finally got it through a trade to New England, Moss became a better person and player. He had obviously learned a valuable life lesson during his exile.

Xanders' first phone calls for potential trade partners should be Detroit and St. Louis, a pair of rebuilding teams that won a combined total of two games last year. If Marshall does believe that he's worth more than the nearly $2.2 million he's scheduled to earn this year -- despite all of his baggage -- let him prove it with one of those teams.

Some of the other teams who might be willing put an attractive offer on the table for Marshall are the New York Jets, the Cleveland Browns, the Baltimore Ravens and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Earlier this year, Jay Cutler was traded after showing his disdain and lack of trust in the Broncos' new head coach, Josh McDaniels. Rumors indicated that McDaniels was willing to swap Cutler in a multi-team deal that would have brought Matt Cassel to Denver, and Cutler took exception to the notion in a very public forum. Bowlen responded appropriately and boldly as the team worked out a trade with the Chicago Bears, eliminating a huge distraction for his club this year.

And that's what makes his hesitance to part ways with Marshall even more puzzling.

Bowlen would be wise to move Marshall now while he still has some perceived trade value. Because after Marshall's next screw-up, Denver's pool of potential trade partners will shrink even further
http://den.scout.com/a.z?s=101&p=2&c=872248&refid=400

finally someone gets it..

UnderArmour
06-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Let's not and say we did.

atwater27
06-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Let's not and then be totally screwed when he inevitably ****s up again.

edited for accuracy

Requiem / The Dagda
06-14-2009, 09:11 PM
As long as you are part of the package to the other team, sure.

atwater27
06-14-2009, 09:13 PM
As long as you are part of the package to the other team, sure.

I know you like packages.

dogfish
06-14-2009, 09:14 PM
yea. . . anyone that knows anything about business will tell you, "sell low!"-- it's the only proper way to do things. . .

well, his value right now is pretty damn low-- coming off surgery, coming off yet another recent infraction, and with contract demands coming on the heels of the cutlergate fiasaco. . . sure, if we just want to get rid of him, some other team will be delighted to take his prodigious talent off our hands at a reduced rate! it's not a smart decision for us, though. . . no way we're going to get something of equal value in exchange for a player that's already consistently putting up around 1,300 yards and 6-7 TDs per year while still having enormous upside-- not wth the other mitigating factors. . .

quite simply, the production we know we can get from him on the field, combined with the effect that his presence has on the rest of the offense (he's a beastly run blocker as well as a receiving threat that opens things up for other guys because the defense frequntly rolls coverage his way), is incomparably more valuable to us than the second or third round pick that i'd bet is the most we could possibly get for him right now. . .

if someone steps up with a better offer (nothing less than a first round pick, IMO), then fine, trade him. . . otherwise, the FO needs to stand firm on this one-- show some freakin' balls in your negotiations, don't just panic at the first sign of trouble and ship off anyone that holds out for a couple of days. . . what the **** kind of precedent does THAT set??? :noidea: may as well just write a memo and send it out to every agent in the business: "we cave to holdouts! we'll do whatever we have to in order to accomodate trade requests because we don't have the huevos or business savvy to deal with them!"

yea, that's good thinking. . . after all, any malcontent that holds out for a better deal can't possibly have anything of value to contribute to a football team. . . a unified locker room is what's most important, regardless of the cost! who needs talent to compete at this level? as long as we have the genius of doogie's system, it doesn't even matter who's running it-- other teams will just lay down their pads because they know resistance is futile against such an unselfish bunch of system players. . .

i suppose this type of mentality is fine for both fans and pundits, but the front office sure as hell better not be buying that nonsense! for all the talk about "teamwork," new england still has an awful lot of talent, including two future HOFers as the main battery of their passing game, and a defensive front seven anchored by three first rounders on the line and a top-ten pick at inside linebacker. . . .

y'all notice how they're handling vince wilfork's holdout? yep. . . they're ignoring it. . . not tripping over themselves trying to ship him out immediately, regardless of the compensation or cost. . . that's how the pros handle their business-- they don't sell off their important talents at the first sign of a little monetary discontent. . . they calmly sat on deion branch until somebody was willing to overpay for him, and they've always compromised with richard seymour when he's wanted more scratch. . . they know how important wilfork is to them, and you can bet they'll either quietly reach a fair compromise, or most likely just wait him out, see what they've got with ron brace, and then make the decision next year, keeping the franchise tag in their pocket if they need it. . . .

Requiem / The Dagda
06-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Definitely. I just got one from FedEx today. It is a Communist China rolled cig holder.

Shazam!
06-14-2009, 09:18 PM
I have mixed feelings about moving Marshall.

I don't want to see him go but I wouldn't be shocked nor would I be distraught if he did.

I couldn't blame Denver for dealing him.

The guy has all the physical tools but has too many risks off the field.

Not to mention the hand and hip injuries.

It's a double-edged sword.

Meh.

atwater27
06-14-2009, 09:20 PM
y'all notice how they're handling vince wilfork's holdout? yep. . . they're ignoring it. . . not tripping over themselves trying to ship him out immediately, regardless of the compensation or cost. . . that's how the pros handle their business-- they don't sell off their important talents at the first sign of a little monetary discontent. . . they calmly sat on deion branch until somebody was willing to overpay for him, and they've always compromised with richard seymour when he's wanted more scratch. . . they know how important wilfork is to them, and you can bet they'll either quietly reach a fair compromise, or most likely just wait him out, see what they've got with ron brace, and then make the decision next year, keeping the franchise tag in their pocket if they need it. . . .

Cool. Is Vince Wilfork a woman beater? Has he been suspended before? Does he have his own file at the county jail?

Lonestar
06-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Cool. Is Vince Wilfork a woman beater? Has he been suspended before? Does he have his own file at the county jail?

I doubt he has his own permanent ID pass for the NFL offices either..:laugh::laugh:

dogfish
06-14-2009, 09:26 PM

yea, he was suspended a year or so back for taking out j.p. losman's knee-- he came close to another one when he poked some RB in the eye. . .

atwater27
06-14-2009, 09:28 PM
yea, he was suspended a year or so back for taking out j.p. losman's knee-- he came close to another one when he poked some RB in the eye. . .

Foiled! I figured you'd find something on him.:D

Lonestar
06-14-2009, 09:29 PM

sounds like bills kinda down and dirty NT:salute:..

maybe because he is not poster child like mar$$$hall is they will be able to get something worked out..:laugh:

broncofanatic1987
06-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Why do these media types always forget about the fact that Marshall is going on trial for simple battery in Georgia and faces a suspension if he's convicted? Hell, technically he faces jail time, which would be on top of a suspension from the NFL.

Because of his pending trial and possible suspension, Marshall has no trade value until his legal issue is cleared up.

Tned
06-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Why stop there. The most talented player on the team was traded, and we appeared to get awesome value for him (ayers, a short nickel back and half a blocking tight end), now we are supposed to trade one of the most talented receivers in the league?

Dang, that should be just the beginning. Why not trade Clady as soon as possible as well. Or better yet, package Clady and Royal for a blocking tight end and a short, slow dime back.

dogfish
06-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Why stop there. The most talented player on the team was traded, and we appeared to get awesome value for him (ayers, a short nickel back and half a blocking tight end), now we are supposed to trade one of the most talented receivers in the league?

Dang, that should be just the beginning. Why not trade Clady as soon as possible as well. Or better yet, package Clady and Royal for a blocking tight end and a short, slow dime back.

i bet we could get something for moreno. . . . :D

ikillz0mbies
06-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Another topic for debate that will divide the Broncos fans once again. I wonder where getlynched is?

GEM
06-14-2009, 11:08 PM
The sky is falling, the Broncos are done.

Before ever stepping foot on the field.

Northman
06-14-2009, 11:16 PM
I wouldnt try to trade him right now. If holds out for more than 2 months from here i would pull the trigger.

ikillz0mbies
06-14-2009, 11:50 PM
The sky is falling, the Broncos are done.

Before ever stepping foot on the field.

Haven't you heard? Once Cutler got traded and Shanny got fired, this team was already doomed.

Benetto
06-15-2009, 12:05 AM
We are on the cusp of trading away 2 of our best players, from (arguably) the best draft class the Broncos have ever had...:tsk:

The sky isn't falling, but it seems like our team is...Sure we haven't played a game yet under McD....At this point I don't even want to see how bad we do with a rebuilding Defense, and an Offense that just got dismantled.

Sure the sky isn't falling, yet....We still haven't even played a game...So grab your umbrellas folks...Sept is not that far away.

I will eat my crow, and say "I was wrong" if the Broncos surprisingly contend next year, and make it to the playoffs...But I will also make a HUGE deal of it, in bad taste, if we implode like expected... Either way, there's always a next year, a next after that, and so on...So I will just have to wait for another rocket armed Franchise QB to fall into our laps, and a 6'4'' Beast of a WR...Go Broncos, prove me wrong. Please.:defense:

SM19
06-15-2009, 12:49 AM
Do it now. Every additional minute it takes us to trade Marshall is a minute we won't be able to spend trying to deal away Clady and Moreno. If we're going to gut this team by opening day, we can't afford to be lallygagging around.

Elevation inc
06-15-2009, 12:56 AM
to be fair......

its easy to see and understand both sides of this arguement. I mean lets be real Marshall is elite We have never seen a guy fight for yardage or work as hard on the field during games to make plays...the way marshall did as a WR, his production has not been seen by a WR in denver like that in many years, he is elite and easily a top 5-7 WR in this league.

On the same token he is far from the full WR package. if he had rod smith's smarts or work ethic we wouldnt even be here right now talking about this.

I adamantly defended marshall against JR for good reasons, but now marshall has gone and messed up iT was his poor decision making, if you cant see that you are blind.

This is not MCD's doing or bowlens or anyone elses, this is being done by brandon marshall no one else. please leave the MCD hate out as this is marshall responsibility

This is not about MCD or Jay Cutler or anyone else on the team. This is about Marshall making the wrong decision. its quite simple, we as fans can sit back and talk about how we should just throw money at marshall...but if you sit back is that really smart from a buisness standpoint. if the stock market is super volatile and uneasy do you jsut throw money and hope it pans out??? no you ensure that you have a solid investemnet, thats how you make money and sucess. Marshall just needs to prove himself a bit, in fact getting the franchise tag afetr this year would be big money, the push for a new contract is a little unorthodox considering all his other volatile incidents going on.

Thats what denver wants from Marshall. Marshall has earned the right for a new contract by his play on the field, and he even has a valid gripe about the horrid medical staff. I dont balme him for that. I also dont blame him for asking for a raise in light of his off field issues in my mind he has earned it.

He started out right having a private meeting with MCD and then moving his rehab to orlando. I saw no problem with that. But it Was marshalls decision and his alone to hold out from a mandatory minicamp and and be naive about his situation. many players make holdout claims and then show up, usually the ones that show up get rewarded for showing there commitment.

Marshall not showing up, was a stupid move on his part he already has enough limelight and bad decisionmaking the last 2 years, why add more to the fire.

It is no secret without marshall are WR core gets worse. Eddie royal can be a nasty 1000yd reciever consistently, and i belive gaffney will have a career year next year, but marshall can take the WR core to elite status that the others cant. we will miss him if he gets traded, no doubt about it. it will be extremly diffucult to replace a guy like that.

I enjoy marshall reg. during the season and i do not want him from denver, but on a team where accountability, character, work ethic and good decision making is paramount and a welcome refrehsher from the previous regime.....Brandon marshall messed up...period!

HERE IS THE KICKER THAT EVERYONE NEEDS TO REALIZE. THIS IS NOT MCD'S FAULT, BOWLENS FAULT OR EVEN THE MEDICAL STAFFS FAULT AT THIS JUNCTURE.

THE DECISION AND RESPONSIBILTY LIES SOLEY WITH BRANDON RIGHT NOW. AND AS YOU CAN SEE HE MADE THE WRONG MOVE. THERE ARE RULES IN THE NFL, AND DESPITE HIS CLAIMS TO FOLLOW ALL THE RULES, HE JUST BROKE ANOTHER ONE!!!!!!

Brandon Marshall i still want you in denver but you are out of line right now. Be objective and realize that....its not that hard.....

WARHORSE
06-15-2009, 01:38 AM
Good points all around.

All I want to do is win.

If that includes Marshall........great. If it means hes down the road.....so be it.

I hope in the end he gets in here and contributes.

BroncoTech
06-15-2009, 01:39 AM
I agree it's one bad decision after another with this guy. I've been waiting a couple years to see some better decisions from him and he's left me disappointed in those matters.

I remember the week he carried a football around DV because he fumbled the week before. Then after fumbling that week he said he wasn't going to be as aggressive going after the YAC. And he wasn't. So there was a decline in production at the end of last year.

Stats are great, but those weren't boxes of super bowl rings he was seen loading into his car last Friday at DV.

If he wanted to play for us he'd be here learning the system.

LoyalSoldier
06-15-2009, 05:36 AM
I love Rod Smith as much as the next guy, but don't forget he had some issues as well.

lex
06-15-2009, 09:12 AM
This article is dumb.

It refers a lot to quotes from before last season and in doing so overlooks that Marshall was a big time producer in spite of his problems.

Its also being written from the perspective of getting rid of him just for its own sake. Sorry, but what we get in return makes all the difference. If we cant get something good for him, theres no reason to trade him. It begins and ends with what we can get for him. The guy is a 4th round pick on his rookie contract and is performing like a top 5 NFL WR.

nevcraw
06-15-2009, 09:21 AM
They need to lock him up w/ a top 5 WR contract w/ character clauses throughout. If he is not willing to sign that type of contract let him sit - all season if he wants..
No team is going to pay him what he wants without some of those clauses so me thinks trade value would not be on the Broncos side..

CoachChaz
06-15-2009, 09:22 AM
This article is dumb.

It refers a lot to quotes from before last season and in doing so overlooks that Marshall was a big time producer in spite of his problems.

Its also being written from the perspective of getting rid of him just for its own sake. Sorry, but what we get in return makes all the difference. If we cant get something good for him, theres no reason to trade him. It begins and ends with what we can get for him. The guy is a 4th round pick on his rookie contract and is performing like a top 5 NFL WR.

Most guys that have 150+ balls thrown to them are likely to catch 100 of them. Marshall knows the new offense wont focus on him 90% of the time and his numbers will shrink and therefore, he's using two distorted seasons as leverage.

lex
06-15-2009, 09:29 AM
Most guys that have 150+ balls thrown to them are likely to catch 100 of them. Marshall knows the new offense wont focus on him 90% of the time and his numbers will shrink and therefore, he's using two distorted seasons as leverage.

And just anyone is likely to have 150+ balls thrown at them? I dont remember Marcus Nash having 150+ balls thrown at him. I also dont remember Ashlie Lelie having that many passes thrown his way. Why is that?

scott.475
06-15-2009, 09:51 AM
I love Rod Smith as much as the next guy, but don't forget he had some issues as well.

True, but Rod actually did grow up and learn to manage himself.

At this point I am not sure I even care if we keep Marshall. All I have to say is, the way this off-season has been, I am just so grateful that Coach McD is the third coming and can apparently turn any no talent scrub like Tom Brady into an all-star. Whew, aren't we lucky! /sarcasm off

underrated29
06-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Sometimes it seems like EVERYONE is brainwashed.

I was at the other site and people were talking about how pissed they are at Jay, and hope we blitz him in preseason and how kyle orton is better than jay and that the bears suck and have no O line.

Then i come here and people are now turning on marshall.

WAKE UP YOU FREAKING ZOMBIES AND GET BACK TO REALITY!

Trading Brandon would be beyond stupid, so get over yourselves and what you think is best for the team, and watch what is right for the team.

Its like Genocide.

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Sometimes it seems like EVERYONE is brainwashed.

I was at the other site and people were talking about how pissed they are at Jay, and hope we blitz him in preseason and how kyle orton is better than jay and that the bears suck and have no O line.

Then i come here and people are now turning on marshall.

WAKE UP YOU FREAKING ZOMBIES AND GET BACK TO REALITY!

Trading Brandon would be beyond stupid, so get over yourselves and what you think is best for the team, and watch what is right for the team.

Its like Genocide.

So, just out of curiosity, what happens when Marshall decides to back hand his fiance again, and he ends up getting suspended for eight games?

CoachChaz
06-15-2009, 10:27 AM
So, just out of curiosity, what happens when Marshall decides to back hand his fiance again, and he ends up getting suspended for eight games?

Everyone keeps talking about the clauses in the contract to protect the team financially, but no one has a plan as to what the hell we do for a #1 receiver, when his hip gives out or he gets suspended.

broncofanatic1987
06-15-2009, 10:30 AM

We might not have to wait for him to backhand his fiancée. He will be suspended if he's convicted in Georgia after his current pending trial. That's the thing that gets me about the people who defend Marshall and the media types that keep talking about if he has one more run in with the law. They seem to act as though his pending trial doesn't exist. It does exist and if he's convicted, he will be suspended. The outcome of this matter was not part of his one game suspension plus fine last season. The league has said so.

underrated29
06-15-2009, 10:32 AM

Well you said it yourself. He get suspended for 8 games. But that could have happened last year too. It goes with the territory, no one should be surprised about this.

Last year lex had his trade marshall thread and people ripped him saying it was stupid etc. etc.

Since then the only thing brandon has done is get in an arguement with his fiance/wife (all charges dropped, goodell the king of laying down suspensions didnt even lift a finger) and now everyone wants to hang him out to dry...

What has changed???

Propoganda, people are now brainwashed.

Does he deserve a new contract, yes. Is he doing this the right way, NO. Does that mean we have to rip on him just like jay????and ship him out of town???

underrated29
06-15-2009, 10:34 AM
We might not have to wait for him to backhand his fiancée. He will be suspended if he's convicted in Georgia after his current pending trial. That's the thing that gets me about the people who defend Marshall and the media types that keep talking about if he has one more run in with the law. They seem to act as though his pending trial doesn't exist. It does exist and if he's convicted, he will be suspended. The outcome of this matter was not part of his one game suspension plus fine last season. The league has said so.

I think you are incorrect about that part. He did serve his suspension time for this upcomming trial.

But if the league said that he did not and could/would get suspended for this please provide a link as i would like to read it.

broncofanatic1987
06-15-2009, 10:37 AM
I think you are incorrect about that part. He did serve his suspension time for this upcomming trial.

But if the league said that he did not and could/would get suspended for this please provide a link as i would like to read it.

It was not part of the suspension and you can probably find an article on this board that has the part where the league makes it clear that the outcome of the trial was not part of his punishment last season. You've probably already read it and just don't remember.

weazel
06-15-2009, 10:41 AM
True, but Rod actually did grow up and learn to manage himself.

At this point I am not sure I even care if we keep Marshall. All I have to say is, the way this off-season has been, I am just so grateful that Coach McD is the third coming and can apparently turn any no talent scrub like Tom Brady into an all-star. Whew, aren't we lucky! /sarcasm off

so far none of Belichick's underlings have done a damn thing, what makes you think McDaniels will?

Nolan will be the head coach in a year from now...

CoachChaz
06-15-2009, 10:42 AM
so far none of Belichick's underlings have done a damn thing, what makes you think McDaniels will?

hoping at least one of them will buck the trend.

broncofanatic1987
06-15-2009, 10:46 AM

I think you missed the end where he makes it clear he was being sarcastic. He appears to one of your fellow McDaniels haters. Don't smack your own brother. It's not nice.

BTW, Nolan will not be the next head coach, even if McDaniels were to be fired, unless it's midseason and Nolan is announced as the interim head coach. I wouldn't bet on that happening though.

weazel
06-15-2009, 10:48 AM
I think you missed the end where he makes it clear he was being sarcastic. He appears to one of your fellow McDaniels haters. Don't smack your own brother. It's not nice.

BTW, Nolan will not be the next head coach, even if McDaniels were to be fired, unless it's midseason and Nolan is announced as the interim head coach. I wouldn't bet on that happening though.

oh no, I seen that. I knew he was being sarcastic. I just wanted to remind everyone that McDaniels will suck

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 10:50 AM

NFL.com has reported it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810a5f89&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

weazel
06-15-2009, 10:55 AM
NFL.com has reported it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810a5f89&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

he's a chump. Nothing more to say about it. There are just some people that cannot live within societies rules, and need to be forgotten. He's just another in a long line.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Never Forget: Brandon Marshall

powderaddict
06-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Wait...

Marshall wants to hold out due to his view he is worth more than the contract SHANAHAN signed him to, and due to complaints about how the BRONCOS staff handled his hip injury last year...

And somehow this is MCDANIELS fault??????

If he didn't have so many huge question marks and red flags I'd say pay him whatever he wants, but with his past and recent health and character issues, do we really want the Broncos to tie up that much money without knowing he will be able to perform at his past level, or even make it onto the playing field?

Right now I'd say if it comes down to it, I really don't think the reward is worth the risk. If he can prove this year that he can stay clean, and healthy, then next year back up the brinks truck. But right now, there's just too many red flags and question marks.

The Glue Factory
06-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Wait...

Marshall wants to hold out due to his view he is worth more than the contract SHANAHAN signed him to, and due to complaints about how the BRONCOS staff handled his hip injury last year...

I'm not so sure the hip was misdiagnosed. I wonder if Marshall's using it as a ploy to support his hold out. :tsk: :tsk: :tsk:

MOtorboat
06-15-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm not so sure the hip was misdiagnosed. I wonder if Marshall's using it as a ploy to support his hold out. :tsk: :tsk: :tsk:

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

Lonestar
06-15-2009, 10:43 PM

"What made last year so weird was that I got two MRIs, one in camp and the second around week six and was told nothing was wrong but come to find out THERE WAS A BIT OF A PROBLEM after all," Marshall added

as I asked in another thread just what is a BIT, clearly in his mind there was something wrong, BUT that was all on mikes watch..

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

right on the MONEY..

rcsodak
06-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Definitely. I just got one from FedEx today. It is a Communist China rolled cig holder.

Heard his name was Won-hung lo.

:listen:

rcsodak
06-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Why do these media types always forget about the fact that Marshall is going on trial for simple battery in Georgia and faces a suspension if he's convicted? Hell, technically he faces jail time, which would be on top of a suspension from the NFL.

Because of his pending trial and possible suspension, Marshall has no trade value until his legal issue is cleared up.

Not true....if that were the case, then Plexico wouldn't be considered a hot commodity....and I heartell he is.

rcsodak
06-16-2009, 12:14 PM

Well, if you're looking for a saint, you're looking in the wrong direction, imo.

But I don't think anybody died, or any dogs were killed.

Northman
06-16-2009, 12:18 PM

He had one issue in which he learned from. Brandon has 13 and doesnt seem to be learning from his mistakes.

rcsodak
06-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Everyone keeps talking about the clauses in the contract to protect the team financially, but no one has a plan as to what the hell we do for a #1 receiver, when his hip gives out or he gets suspended.

Who Are you?

Brandon Lloyd....

.....HELLO!

:lol:

rcsodak
06-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Well you said it yourself. He get suspended for 8 games. But that could have happened last year too. It goes with the territory, no one should be surprised about this.

Last year lex had his trade marshall thread and people ripped him saying it was stupid etc. etc.

Since then the only thing brandon has done is get in an arguement with his fiance/wife (all charges dropped, goodell the king of laying down suspensions didnt even lift a finger) and now everyone wants to hang him out to dry...

What has changed???

What's changed?

LMAO!!!!!!

Lex, for one! :lol:

rcsodak
06-16-2009, 12:35 PM
McDaniels said he wishes Marshall were rehabbing in Denver but doesn't hold it against him and is confident the wide receiver would attend the Broncos' mandatory minicamp June 12-14. McDaniels also said there's still plenty of time for Marshall to learn the new offense the coach is installing in place of Mike Shanahan's old West Coast system.

"There'll be plenty of time. We have a lot of practices in August," McDaniels said. "None of our injured players are out here. So, that's just kind of a standard procedure for us. He wouldn't be out here, either.

"And he's had plenty of opportunity to learn this spring. Again, these are voluntary sessions, so he doesn't have to be here, and nobody does. So the curve is the same as it is for everybody else. He'll have enough time to get caught up when he's healthy and ready to go."
I'd say something was whispered in Marsh's good ear, sometime after this article....

ChampWJ
06-16-2009, 12:40 PM
I actually don't see why this matters much. We've already been the laughing stock of the NFL this offseason, and we are well on our way to being a last place team. The tradition of winning is slowly being eroded in Denver, so we're just going to have to get used to players not wanting to be here. I remember thinking when they traded Cutler that we might as well forget about signing Marshall once his contract is up.

lewik
06-16-2009, 01:09 PM
and we are well on our way to being a last place team.

And not only that... but a last place team who just traded their 1st rounder away...

:cool:

Honestly though...IMO, between the behavior of Cutler and Marshall, I'm walking away from the Shanny era with a bitter taste in my mouth. He had to have been treating these kids like royalty for them to be acting like this now. A few years after our 2nd trophy, it became pretty apparent that he wasn't much of a motivator. How many big games (mnf/primetime) did we blow? Always starting those seasons out strong, only to fade out as the season went on...

Shanny is an all-time-great offensive schemer... and he was good at finding talent in the QB, RB, and O-line positions. But the fact that we hardly sniffed any post-season success --post Elway/TD era-- speaks volumes to his shortcomings as an overall coach.

A mid first rounder is the most we'll get for Marshall. Anything less than a 1st and we're getting screwed. :tsk:

sanluis
06-16-2009, 01:48 PM
I say get rid of him for a cheese sandwich.... but I don't really have Denver's best interests at heart!..... :D:lol:

http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A9448/94487/300_94487.jpg

Looks good !!

:lol:

Dr Velcro
06-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Until it becomes fact, it's only speculation.

Big egos do not belong with the Broncos...especially right now.

If this is the case, then best he go on.

lex
06-16-2009, 02:11 PM
What's changed?

LMAO!!!!!!

Lex, for one! :lol:

How have I changed? In that thread, I wasnt wholly committed to trading him but I acknowledge the idea had merit due to the fact that when guys get in trouble like Marshall has, it seldom stops just like that. I kind of anticipated more shenanigans. It seems like he may have toned it down but, who knows. Still, even with all that, the team needs him now more than last year. Its a different regime and the fanbase isnt as accepting of the current regime. They need to win this year or it could get really ugly.

Another thing that has changed is that Marshall went out and had a great season in spite of his problems this in the 08 offseason. In a weird way, it kind of speaks well for him in that he can produce through distractions.

But for where we are right now, the guy is a 4th round pick who has been gold in terms of production. You cant deny his talent or production. He has justified his holdout.

Another thing that has changed is that Pat Bowlen has become a fullblown tightwad who, every time he makes a mistake, wants either the player or the fan to be the bigger man and look the other way. And this is another example of that. Bowlen wants to dig in and try to make things work on the cheap even though the fans have made his franshise worth over 1 billion dollars and then if it doesnt work and the team loses, he wants people to still be accepting and to keeping buying tickets and merchandise. Forget that.

rcsodak
06-16-2009, 11:00 PM
How have I changed? In that thread, I wasnt wholly committed to trading him but I acknowledge the idea had merit due to the fact that when guys get in trouble like Marshall has, it seldom stops just like that. I kind of anticipated more shenanigans. It seems like he may have toned it down but, who knows. Still, even with all that, the team needs him now more than last year. Its a different regime and the fanbase isnt as accepting of the current regime. They need to win this year or it could get really ugly.

Another thing that has changed is that Marshall went out and had a great season in spite of his problems this in the 08 offseason. In a weird way, it kind of speaks well for him in that he can produce through distractions.

What's changed?

LMAO!!!!!!

Lex, for one!
Hmmmm.....glad you agree. :coffee:

Tned
06-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Not sure if there is a mod on duty, and I am more ill tempered then they are, so I'll just do it publicly.

RC, COOL IT. Discuss your points, stop taking shots at people or posting snied comments. Thanks in advance for the cooperation.

broncofanatic1987
06-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Not true....if that were the case, then Plexico wouldn't be considered a hot commodity....and I heartell he is.

Burress is a free agent and has been available for quite a while and has yet to be signed.

Marshall is not a free agent and can only go to another team if the Broncos trade him. Why would a team give the Broncos much in return when Marshall faces a suspension if he's convicted in Georgia?

As for Burress, Goodell could do what he did with Vick, suspend him indefinitely before he even goes to trial. I don't know how likely that is. At least with Burress there's a real possibility that he will be able to play the entire season before he goes to trial, after which he will do jail time and be suspended.

With Marshall, teams have to wait until after his trial in August before they know whether he will be suspended or not. If Marshall was smart or at least has a smart agent, he will get his trial lawyer to do everything possible to get the trial delayed until next year. That would at least provide some incentive to the Broncos to trade him because that might bump Marshall's trade value up a little.

I don't advocate that the Broncos trade Marshall. I think they should wait it out and see what happens with the trial. If he's acquitted, they should sign him to an incentive laden contract with strong behavioral clauses that allows them to recoup a big chunk of money if he gets in trouble again. If he's convicted, they should not commit to a long term contract and franchise tag him next year. They can then tell him that if he goes through the entire year without getting into trouble, they will sign him to a long term contract in 2011.