PDA

View Full Version : Summer camps keep ex-Hog Hillis on the run

titan
06-14-2009, 04:05 PM
WALLY HALL Arkansas Democrat Gazette

Peyton Hillis was enjoying his day off during Denver Broncos minicamp, but it wasn't a total day of mile-high leisure.

He was in almost constant contact with his brother Kyle and others.

The Hillis brothers, along with Cole Barthel and other former high school and college players, will conduct the Peyton Hillis Football Camp on July 11 and July 18.

Hillis is having a very good camp of his own. The "Beast" of the Broncos is spending almost as much time on the field as the coaches.

The hamstring injury that sidelined him late last season, the one that came on an acrobatic catch against Kansas City, is a distant memory and his new coach, Josh McDaniels, can't seem to get enough of the former Razorback.

McDaniels has scrapped the old two-tight end set and is opening the offense with four and five receivers on most plays. Pretty much what he ran at New England as the offensive coordinator, which fits the multitalented Hillis.

"I'm doing a little bit of everything," Hillis said by phone. "I'm getting snaps at running back, wide receiver, fullback and tight end."

Plus he is the rage of special teams play.

"Coach Daniels is very smart," he said. "I'm really enjoying learning from him. He knows what he is doing. It is just going to take a little time to get in a groove."

Last season, Hillis earned the starting fullback position - and was called one of the biggest surprises of the NFL Draft - but then a rash of injuries hit the running back corps.

Hillis moved to running back and in six games averaged 5.0 yards per carry and 12.8 per catch. More important, the Broncos won four games, half of their season total.

"We're going to use every skill he has," McDaniels told the Denver Post. "He's got great hands, and he's a very tough runner to bring down when you give him the ball. So he'll do a lot different things for us. He's certainly done a good job of taking what we're giving him and doing it very well."

Which makes Hillis, who surprisingly wasn't drafted until the seventh round, very happy.

"It is different than when I was at Arkansas and it seemed like everything was done to keep me from getting the ball," he said. "Now they want me to have it as much as possible.

"Coach tells us every day we are all first team and the reps are really spread out evenly."

As for the camp with his name on it, it will be hands-on. The first session is July 11 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. for ages 7-13 and that afternoon from 2 p..m. to 6 p.m. for kids 14-17. That camp is at Conway Christian High.

The July 18 camp, at Conway High's west field, has the same format. Anyone wanting more information can contact Kyle at kphillis22@yahoo.com or (501) 733-4339.

The Broncos camp ends today. But Hillis has two more weeks of mandatory workouts and then he'll head home, which is what Conway and Arkansas will always be to him.

"The fans here are great, people are really nice and, of course, it is beautiful, but home is home and that will never change for me," he said. "That's why when Kyle asked if I wanted to do a camp for people in Arkansas, I didn't even have to think about it."

Hillis, who was a Parade All-American coming out of Conway High, played in 10 games as a freshman for the Hogs and in his sophomore season made the move to fullback to make room for Darren McFadden and Felix Jones, both of whom benefited from his bone-rattling blocks.

Yet, Hillis was always a double threat as a runner or receiver.

Some Broncos fans were skeptical about his ability to make the move to the NFL, but they were mostly won over in a hurry.

Right now, no one is spending more time on the field at the Broncos camp than Peyton Hillis, who is seeing time at four offensive positions and on special teams, where he is earning the nickname "Beast" of the Broncos.

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/261919/

Requiem / The Dagda
06-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Great article, but I thought that Marshall was nicknamed the Beast.

BroncoJoe
06-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Great article, but I thought that Marshall was nicknamed the Beast.

You're right. By all his girlfriends...

Tned
06-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Not a Wally Hall fan (he's like Woody Paige, but more off beat and idiotic), but that was a nice read.

Lonestar
06-14-2009, 06:38 PM
sounds like a solid upstanding kid that I hope has a long career in DEN..

unlike some other skells we still have..

atwater27
06-14-2009, 09:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSjDe0WDuCg&feature=related

God he runs hard. Awesome clip, just turn down the volume to avoid a gay eminem song.

Moreno and Hillis thunder and lightning? They are both gonna catch at least 30 passes this year.