PDA

View Full Version : AFCWest Projections....you'll love this!

rcsodak
06-13-2009, 11:00 AM
This should stir the pot a bit, I reckon. :D
http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=ArDuWle0GPd8c_S5H_CF_3VG2vAI;_ylu=X3oDMTFldXQ 4OXFiBGlpZAM1NDE3MzYxMTA1ODE3NTUzOTk2BG5vaAM1BHBvc wMzBHJpZAMyNzM0MzM-/SIG=13js3al0g/**http%3A//feedproxy.google.com/~r/foxsports/RSS/headlines/~3/W64HbjVghIw/WhatIfSports.com%3A-AFC-West-projections

Just to let you know, they have Denver in 4th place, winning 2 games.

Enjoy!

Italianmobstr7
06-13-2009, 11:15 AM
That's just stupid.

spikerman
06-13-2009, 11:15 AM
If I read that correctly, they have them actually winning 5 games which is about where I expect them to be (I hope I'm wrong). I can't really complain too much about it. Intresting article though. Thanks!

Italianmobstr7
06-13-2009, 11:16 AM
If I read that correctly, they have them actually winning 5 games which is about where I expect them to be (I hope I'm wrong). I can't really complain too much about it. Intresting article though. Thanks!

They're predicting Denver to go 5-11, but the system has us having a 50% chance to win only twice. which makes there system show us going 2-14. Denver has NEVER had a top 10 pick in the common draft by their own accord. I don't think they will this year either (or the Seahawks will).

spikerman
06-13-2009, 11:28 AM
They're predicting Denver to go 5-11, but the system has us having a 50% chance to win only twice. which makes there system show us going 2-14. Denver has NEVER had a top 10 pick in the common draft by their own accord. I don't think they will this year either (or the Seahawks will).
They say in their explanation that the record in parentheses is more accurate so I think they're going with that one.

SoCalImport
06-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Meh... let the hacks fill their pages. I know that we'll be better than that.

Bad Intentions
06-13-2009, 12:46 PM
This should stir the pot a bit, I reckon. :D
http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=ArDuWle0GPd8c_S5H_CF_3VG2vAI;_ylu=X3oDMTFldXQ 4OXFiBGlpZAM1NDE3MzYxMTA1ODE3NTUzOTk2BG5vaAM1BHBvc wMzBHJpZAMyNzM0MzM-/SIG=13js3al0g/**http%3A//feedproxy.google.com/~r/foxsports/RSS/headlines/~3/W64HbjVghIw/WhatIfSports.com%3A-AFC-West-projections

Just to let you know, they have Denver in 4th place, winning 2 games.

Enjoy!

Quite realistic, especially if the Broncos fail to sign/keep BMarsh.

SoCalImport
06-13-2009, 12:52 PM
I think our ground game will be top 3-4 in the league this year.
That alone will make the D better. The passing game will likely be dink and dunk. Again extending possessions making the D look better.
We will NOT get blown out of games like last year, and will give ourselves chances to win close games against "better" opponents.

my prediction (though I don't like making them). Broncos win 6-8 games in a rebuilding year.

Tned
06-13-2009, 01:16 PM
That alone will make the D better. The passing game will likely be dink and dunk. Again extending possessions making the D look better.
We will NOT get blown out of games like last year, and will give ourselves chances to win close games against "better" opponents.

my prediction (though I don't like making them). Broncos win 6-8 games in a rebuilding year.

The running game 'could' be that good, but since none of us know exactly what offense McD is putting in place (obviously we have some ideas from NE, but no idea if it will be identical), nor how well Orton/Simms will command respect for the passing game, we could just as easily be bottom 3-4 in the leauge in rushing.

There are simply too many unkowns on the team in terms of players and scheme.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-13-2009, 01:18 PM
I think I will take a "wait and see" approach

atwater27
06-13-2009, 01:31 PM
The article is silly. It is pretty much the same as if I simulated each game on the schedule 10 times in Madden, then used that data to predict our season.

Nature Boy
06-13-2009, 03:28 PM
It all comes down to the Defense, particularly the D-line. New scheme, a bunch of rag tag D-lineman without much experience in the 3-4 and particularly no bruising NT, Mike Nolan does not have much if anything to work with.

Positive note however is we have the best young O-lineman group and promising new rookie tail back so we should win atleast a few games.

I'm predicting we win 4 games if we are lucky.

But If Orton can play as good as we're hoping and I think he can and we get Marshall his new contract and if the defense can hold their own, then best we'll do is 8-8 but that is reaching a bit.

My best guess 4-12. Anything less and we fire Coach McDummass. BRING BACK MIKEY!

Lonestar
06-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Denver Broncos (5-11)
This isn't your father's Denver Broncos. It's not even your older brother's Denver Broncos. Since Mike Shanahan, who served as Denver's head coach for 14 seasons, was let go in favor of the then 32 year old Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, the whole atmosphere around the Broncos has changed, not to mention roster. It's not for the better - this season at least - as Denver regresses by three wins over last season and is only favored in two games all year. The Broncos average 20.8 points per game (#20) and allow 27 points (#30) against a schedule featuring just seven games against 2008 playoff teams.

Absolute Record: 2-14

Most Significant Newcomer: Josh McDaniels, Head Coach - I would love to spotlight Chris Simms, Knowshon Moreno or Reynaldo Hill, but they are not even guaranteed to contribute this year. So many new players have been brought in to compete amongst other new players for starting jobs that McDaniels has to be the guy because he is the only addition whose role is set in stone. In New England, Josh McDaniels learned from some of the best minds in the game like Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli. He became widely regarded as an ingenious play-caller and rising star in the coaching ranks. Clearly he has the football IQ and ambition to succeed. He may not have the public relations savvy, maturity or the personality to last though. Less than three months into the job, a rift between McDaniels and incumbent starting quarterback Jay Cutler spearheaded a trade of the former first round pick to Chicago for Kyle Orton and picks. While McDaniels legacy may ultimately hinge on this deal, it is important to note that that does not mean that Kyle Orton must be the starting quarterback all season. Denver originally started talking about trading Cutler after it had signed Chris Simms. McDaniels knew that Simms would be a viable solution at quarterback if Cutler was not able to bring in a top replacement at the position. The notion that Orton must play because he was McDaniels hand-picked leader of the offense is silly because the decision would not have been made without another capable QB on the roster. In our projections, Orton starts nine games and Simms seven. Either way, Denver is a mess right now. A good goal for McDaniels and his staff should be to get everything back in order and "right the ship" with a clear focus and plan as the Broncos head into the 2010 season.

Biggest Strength: Offensive Line - With all of the off-season movement, one of the few things that went mostly untouched was the offensive line - with good reason. In 2008, Denver finished third in the NFL in yards-per-rush (4.8) and tied with Tennessee in giving up the fewest sacks in the league (12) despite throwing 167 more passes than the Titans. The Patriots offense with which Josh McDaniels is familiar is predicated on the quarterback getting time in the pocket and a running game that is enough of a threat for big plays that it keeps the defense guessing. A cohesive offensive line is crucial for this offense to succeed and the Broncos have built just that. All five starters played in 16 games last season. 2008 first round pick Ryan Clady is already one of the league's top tackles. For a team with so many questions and potential issues, this unit is as solid and as promising as any in the league.

Most Exploitable Weakness: Rushing Defense - The Broncos' pass defense was worse than their rush defense in 2008, but got a little bit better in the off-season with the additions of Reynaldo Hill, Brian Dawkins, Andre Goodman and Alphonso Smith; while the team may now be worse against the run. In a division with LaDainian Tomlinson, Darren McFadden, Larry Johnson (he's still good - go look at the numbers), Darren Sproles and others, that's scary.

Possible Fantasy Sleeper: Peyton Hillis, RB - One thing has remained the same from the Mike Shanahan days - the Broncos running back situation is a fantasy nightmare. While Knowshon Moreno, Correll Buckhalter and LaMont Jordan will split carries (kind of like Jordan, Sammy Morris, Laurence Maroney and BenJarvus Green-Ellis did for the Patriots last season), Hillis, the lone returning Bronco running back likely to see the field in 2009, has Kevin Faulk written all over him. Faulk totaled 993 yards on 141 touches, including 58 catches last year. Hillis caught 14 passes in seven games a rookie after catching 49 in his senior season at Arkansas. He is coming off a torn hamstring, so he will need to be completely healthy to warrant taking a flier on him in fantasy, but he is more than capable of breaching 50 catches and 500 total yards. Our projections give Hillis 676 total yards on 102 touches in 14 games.

Closest Game: @Oakland Raiders (Week 3) - After opening the season with Cincinnati and Cleveland, the Broncos go to Oakland to face their divisional rivals. After this game, they play eight straight games against teams who we project .500 or better this season, including six games against teams who make our 2009 playoffs. If theBroncos go to Oakland to face their divisional rivals. After this game, they play eight straight games against teams who we project .500 or better this season, including six games against teams who make our 2009 playoffs. If the Broncos split the first two, this could be a must-win early in the season before the schedule becomes brutal.

Fantasy Notables: Kyle Orton (32) 1,814 yards, 10 TDs, 8 INTs; Chris Simms (34) 1,252 yards, 9 TDs, 4 INTs; Knowshon Moreno (34) 970 total yards, 7 TDs; Correll Buckhalter (45) 806 total yards, 7 TDs; Brandon Marshall (31) 70 receptions, 895 yards, 5 TDs; Eddie Royal (35) 80 receptions, 855 yards, 5 TDs; Tony Scheffler (18) 27 receptions, 419 yards, 3 TDs; Matt Prater (24) 35/36 XPs, 22/30 FGs

Projected 2009 Results:
Week Opponent Win% Avg Score
1 @Cincinnati Bengals 32 21-29
2 Cleveland Browns 71 31-23
3 @Oakland Raiders 53 26-27
4 Dallas Cowboys 25 23-30
5 New England Pats 32 22-27
6 @San Diego Charg 30 22-31
8 @Baltimore Ravens 23 16-26
9 Pittsburgh Steelers 26 16-23
10 @Was Redskins 24 13-23
11 San Diego Charger 31 23-29
12 New York Giants 21 19-28
13 @Kansas C Chefs 40 21-26
14 @Indianapolis 19 19-31
15 Oakland Raiders 42 27-28
16 @Philadelphia 6 9-29
17 Kansas City Chefs 49 25-23

Simple Jaded
06-13-2009, 03:35 PM
12-4 and Champions of the National Football League.......

Bad Intentions
06-13-2009, 03:58 PM

Gonna be hard to keep the run game and the pass pro up to last year's standards with Kory Lichensteiger at Center don't you think?

dogfish
06-13-2009, 04:04 PM
12-4 and Champions of the National Football League.......

*scoffs*

damn right! ask anybody around here if ya don't believe me. . . .

SoCalImport
06-13-2009, 04:57 PM
NO I don't.
As I see it the only reason efforts wouldn't be made to bring back Weigman is if He's not the clear cut best option at the position.

Denver27og
06-14-2009, 03:31 AM
im not sure what the broncos record will be but i know the bears will have a better record than us