PDA

View Full Version : Bowlen meets with AWOL Broncos receiver mar$$$hall

Lonestar
06-12-2009, 10:20 PM
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 06/12/2009 10:00:34 AM MDT
Updated: 06/12/2009 07:05:14 PM MDT

The Denver Broncos' Brandon Marshall, dejected on the bench against the Jacksonville Jaguars at Invesco Field at Mile High in October, 2008. (THE DENVER POST | ANDY CROSS)Absent from the start of mandatory minicamp this morning, Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall met with team owner Pat Bowlen this afternoon at 2 p.m., then left the property at 3:15 p.m. Coach Josh McDaniels said after minicamp practice that he planned to meet with Marshall.

"It's something we're going to handle and take care of it in-house," McDaniels said after practice. "I've been through a number of these situations. Whether it does or doesn't get fixed, that's something that's going to play out in the future. But we're going to coach the guys that are here the best we can. When he's ready to go and we get him out here, we'll get him out here."

Marshall was dressed in black shorts and a black T-shirt and loaded three boxes into his car upon his departure. He declined to comment to reporters as he chatted on his cell phone.
When the Broncos went through a similar ordeal with then-disgruntled quarterback Jay Cutler, such meetings included owner Pat Bowlen, chief operating officer Joe Ellis, general manager Brian Xanders and McDaniels.

Marshall is recovering from hip surgery so he would not be able to participate in the offseason workouts, anyway. But he has sent a message to the team he is unhappy with his contract by first transferring his rehab three weeks ago to Orlando, Fla. while the rest of the team was participating in the "voluntary" minicamps, and then not reporting for the 8:30 a.m. meeting today that was to start the team's three-day "mandatory" minicamp.

"That's a personal decision that Brandon has made, and we'll do what the league rules allow us to do for a player that has missed a mandatory activity," McDaniels said. "The rest of that is really internal. I've spoken to him and his agent and that's a decision that he's made."

Marshall is in the final year of a four-year contract that will pay him $2.198 million this season. Marshall believes he's worth more after recording 100-plus catches in each of the past two seasons, and 58 receivers made more than $2.2 million in salary and bonuses last season.

Marshall has also cited a lack of trust in the Broncos' medical care as a reason for not wanting to rehab at the team's headquarters.

The Broncos have reason to consider Marshall an investment risk. The team might want to first see how he recovers from his hip surgery. He also has been involved in numerous off-field legal issues to the point where another infraction could leave him vulnerable to a long-term suspension under the league's personal conduct policy.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12577176?source=rss

frauschieze
06-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Dang. I was hoping this might have new information.

OrangeHoof
06-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Marshall, if you want out you're not suppose to return the owner's phone calls. Don't you learn anything?

NameUsedBefore
06-12-2009, 11:05 PM
I've been through a number of these situations.

1 as head coach.

Batting avg.: 0.00

Requiem / The Dagda
06-12-2009, 11:07 PM
If they can sort this out he is batting .500 which is pretty Joe Mauer like. Which would be nice!

slim
06-12-2009, 11:10 PM
1 as head coach.

Batting avg.: 0.00

Hello kettle, I'm pot.

NameUsedBefore
06-12-2009, 11:11 PM
I'd wager Marshall stays. If he doesn't that would be a huge loss. We could only hope he doesn't go elsewhere and pull a Bertrand Berry on our ass.

NameUsedBefore
06-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Hello kettle, I'm pot.

I don't get understand compute.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-12-2009, 11:13 PM
I'd wager Marshall stays. If he doesn't that would be a huge loss. We could only hope he doesn't go elsewhere and pull a Bertrand Berry on our ass.

Berry isn't a good example. His first year in Arizona, he rocked then sucked ass. He's only played in 41 games the past four seasons, with only 31 starts. I hope Marshall goes to Chicago, then I'll have a good team to finally root for!

NameUsedBefore
06-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Perhaps a more consistent Berry.

I think even 1-outstanding year from Marshall outside the Broncos, combined with the Cutler fiasco, and a terrible record if Denver plays bad, would be a lot of fuel for the fire.

Double entendre, btw.

BroncoTech
06-12-2009, 11:38 PM
Am I reading too much into the fact he loaded 3 boxes into his car thus indicating he's taken his personal items and is not coming back? These guys that hold out then join the team later don't know the plays and aren't in football shape. They often get injured within a few games too. I think this is so-long good bye.

NameUsedBefore
06-12-2009, 11:39 PM
I wonder how the new playbook will factor in... It's one thing to hold out on a coach whose playbook you already know, it's another if you got a new coach, new schemes, new plays etc. and you're not in there learning all of it.

bcbronc
06-13-2009, 12:43 AM
personally, I think the Broncos should pony up and give Marshall a new deal. his play on the field has sure earned it.

sure he brings risks to the table, but you factor that into the language of the contract.

I know he "signed a contract" and hold-outs used to piss me off. but in today's Not For Long, where teams can walk away from a deal at a moments notice (and remember, this is his rookie deal, so he didn't get a bunch of guaranteed money or signing bonuses) I think holding out is a legit manoeuvre. I know most won't agree with that.

but Marshall is the lynch pin of this offense, at least going into this season, and should be paid accordingly imo.

Lonestar
06-13-2009, 12:55 AM
I wonder how the new playbook will factor in... It's one thing to hold out on a coach whose playbook you already know, it's another if you got a new coach, new schemes, new plays etc. and you're not in there learning all of it.

AS I have understood it he has a playbook and supposedly is studying it.. and supposedly him and Josh were getting along..

but book learning is so much more different than actually running the routes watching film and going over things with your fellow players and coaches..

Now we all know he can't run routes and catch the ball.. but he should have been here all the time doing the rest of the stuff that his fellow WR's have been doing..

since this playbook is about confusing the defense with multiple crossing routes unless your actually seeing it and doing it your going to fall behind the others..

But Josh has also stated he will have so 40 odd sessions during TC to catch up.. but that also means the guys that have been here all the time will be some 30-40 sessions ahead of him also..

Now I have some odd thoughts to talk out ..

does anyone think that because he will not be the top gun in the offense since it is all about hitting the open man.. does anyone think he may be rebelling wanting more attention in the Offense..

Knowing that last year they doubled him alot and jay threw to him any way.. I think that he may see that the QB will now throw to the open man if he is doubled..

perhaps he has seen the playbook and is scared of it that he will not be able to "get it".. that perhaps he is not smart enough..

perhaps he thinks he will not be a TEAM player (he certainly has proven some of that with the hold out).

hey maybe it is only about money.. as I do not for one minute think the Broncos doctors are the real issue.. tuten maybe, with his "Strength and conditioning drills"

but the Broncos have millions of dollars invested in the players and I can not think of anyone that would not want to have them in prime condition to protect their investment.. I do not think the doctors are bad, because thy use some of the best in the country to do their consultations and surgery..

I believe that part of this is a smoke screen.. the comments about the doctors not seeing the issue in two separate MRI's just does not make sense to me.. and then to have a Bronco Doctor do the surgery.. and for that matter that was all under mike the old staff not Josh and the new staff.

sorry that just does not add up for me..

him taking three boxes out means that he is taking the playbook home to study or he came to get his stuff and not planing on coming back..

this IMHO does not bode well for marshall playing in DEN this year..

Lonestar
06-13-2009, 01:04 AM
personally, I think the Broncos should pony up and give Marshall a new deal. his play on the field has sure earned it.

sure he brings risks to the table, but you factor that into the language of the contract.

I know he "signed a contract" and hold-outs used to piss me off. but in today's Not For Long, where teams can walk away from a deal at a moments notice (and remember, this is his rookie deal, so he didn't get a bunch of guaranteed money or signing bonuses) I think holding out is a legit manoeuvre. I know most won't agree with that.

but Marshall is the lynch pin of this offense, at least going into this season, and should be paid accordingly imo.

But is he going to be the lynch pin? or just another big receiver

Will he see a 100 passes this coming year? or just 50-60

Is he the randy moss of this O?.. or just average.. remember he did not get many TD's this past couple of years certainly not in the randy moss area..

I think he sees his status downgraded just like jay did.. playing in a very controlled offense and they did not like not potentially being the big guns anymore..

do we really need him all that much or will Jabbey fill his pass quota..

if you had 2 WR before and he got 100 passes with a lot of 4 receiver sets does anyone think he will get that same 100 passes?

we now have Moreno and hopefully a fully recovered Hillis.. they will be getting more and more passes because they will be check downs when marshal is double covered.

Hey folks he may be wanting out because he see his role in DEN as diminished.. and he wants a new contract THIS year and they re not going to budge on it..

bcbronc
06-13-2009, 01:35 AM

Is he the randy moss of this O?.. or just average.. remember he did not get many TD's this past couple of years certainly not in the randy moss area..

I think he sees his status downgraded just like jay did.. playing in a very controlled offense and they did not like not potentially being the big guns anymore..

if you had 2 WR before and he got 100 passes with a lot of 4 receiver sets does anyone think he will get that same 100 passes?

we now have Moreno and hopefully a fully recovered Hillis.. they will be getting more and more passes because they will be check downs when marshal is double covered.

Hey folks he may be wanting out because he see his role in DEN as diminished.. and he wants a new contract THIS year and they re not going to budge on it..

If Marshall is not getting the ball because he is double covered, it means he is drawing double coverage, right? if Marshall isn't drawing the double coverage, who is? Royal? maybe, but he's not the physical beast that Marshall is and certainly hasn't earned the attention from DCs that Marshall has.

if this offense works the way it should, Marshall should find himself isolated against a corner or safety plenty of times. we'll see more than a couple times where he breaks one tackle and turns it into big yards or a score. Marshall's big frame and ability to YAC will open up the field for the rest of the weapons you mentioned simply because you can't leave him in 1 on 1 situations and expect a corner or safety to consitantly make the tackle. and no, "Jabbey" does not bring this same threat.

I believe Marshall would gladly take 60 catches and a playoff berth over 100 catches and an early ski season. pay the guy what he's earned and get him in learning the offense pronto.

BroncoTech
06-13-2009, 03:16 AM
In case you didn't realize we are in the worst recession since the great depression. I've noticed many of you spending Pat's money like it grows on trees. Well, trees are sustainable, these player's salaries, much like the housing market are not sustainable. Pat already spent Brandon's raise by paying off Shanny's contract.

Saying we should pay Brandon for what he's worth means your trying to sell me something like a house at the value it was 3 years ago, when the prices became unsustainable. Now you can get a house for 40% of what it was back then, so who's paying full value now? Only a fool.

So the team owners are trying to restructure the CBA by crying poor like they always do, only this time they are not crying wolf. They are not too big to fail. Careless checkbooks can doom them.

Jay, Brandon and Casey are separate cases but they all probably at least considered holding out. It seems our 3 pro bowl players were it it for the money, and the whole team last year looked they they weren't sweating the blowouts because they get paid, win lose or draw. You can say Jay wouldn't be here if Mcdoogie had his wish, it's true. You can't blame Casey for trying to cash in on his last season, this could be the last trip to the bank for him. We don't know what Brandon is asking for, but he's not going to get it. I'm about 90% sure of this. We need to make plans without him. Let's hope we can find some guys who play with heart and can get fired up for big games and these guys who were pushing the envelope for money will be distant memories. Everyone wants to get paid but walking away from 2+ mil will prove to be the dumbest thing ever.

Lonestar
06-13-2009, 04:19 AM
If Marshall is not getting the ball because he is double covered, it means he is drawing double coverage, right? if Marshall isn't drawing the double coverage, who is? Royal? maybe, but he's not the physical beast that Marshall is and certainly hasn't earned the attention from DCs that Marshall has.

if this offense works the way it should, Marshall should find himself isolated against a corner or safety plenty of times. we'll see more than a couple times where he breaks one tackle and turns it into big yards or a score. Marshall's big frame and ability to YAC will open up the field for the rest of the weapons you mentioned simply because you can't leave him in 1 on 1 situations and expect a corner or safety to consitantly make the tackle. and no, "Jabbey" does not bring this same threat.

I believe Marshall would gladly take 60 catches and a playoff berth over 100 catches and an early ski season. pay the guy what he's earned and get him in learning the offense pronto.

but you see in this offense it creates mismatches as well as confusion.. If the QB is dong his job he is finding that open man and not trying to force that pass to anyone that is covered..

now can Stokely who is a master and getting open teach royal to do the same.. Gabbey already understands it all so between him Stokely, Scheffler, graham, new kid WR, royal, Moreno, Hillis someone will be open.. do we really need Marshall as much as he needs us right now?

Because if he does not play for us he sets unless we get really great value for him.. as it stands right now he is a RFA with a #1 even tender on him after 2009 season, that means for the next two years IF we decide not to match his contract offer we get a #1 choice from that team.. If there is a CBA at worst he is a player we will hold on to him as a franchise player..

HE B screwed if we want him ..Xman is holding all the cards..

Lonestar
06-13-2009, 04:33 AM
WR's future murky
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 06/13/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Brandon Marshall (Associated Press file photo)Wearing a dark T-shirt and dark athletic shorts, Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall walked into Dove Valley headquarters Friday afternoon for a private meeting with team owner Pat Bowlen.

Marshall walked out a little more than an hour later carrying packed boxes to his car before driving away from the players' parking lot without comment, leaving behind this dark possibility: Has he caught his last pass for the Broncos?

Anything must be considered possible in an offseason in which the Broncos have already said goodbye to star quarterback Jay Cutler. Only this time, don't blame new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels if Cutler's former favorite receiver follows him through the exit doors.

While rehabilitating from hip surgery, Marshall doesn't want to be treated by the Broncos' medical staff if the team won't give him a new contract. Marshall sent that message both through his absence from the start of the Broncos' mandatory minicamp Friday morning and presumably during his audience with Bowlen on Friday afternoon.
Bowlen could not be reached for comment. Marshall likely will be fined for each day he does not report to the three-day camp that ends Sunday.

"We'll do what the league rules allow us to do for a player that has missed a mandatory activity," McDaniels said. "The rest of that is really internal. I've spoken to him and his agent, and that's a decision that he's made."

The Broncos went through a similar ordeal earlier this offseason with Cutler. Cutler's dispute was not about money but with McDaniels. Soon after replacing Mike Shanahan as the Broncos' head coach, McDaniels considered a trade that would have made former New England quarterback Matt Cassel the new offensive leader in Denver.

Cutler was eventually traded, along with a fifth-round pick, to the Chicago Bears in exchange for quarterback Kyle Orton, two first-round picks and a third-round pick.

Marshall's beef is primarily about his contract. Because he wasn't selected until the fourth round in the 2006 draft, Marshall was essentially slotted into a contract that paid him a relatively modest $1.5 million in combined salary and signing bonus through his first three seasons.

Thanks to a Pro Bowl incentive in that contract, Marshall's fourth-year salary for 2009 did escalate to $2.198 million. However, Marshall believes he is getting paid fourth-round money for a player who has delivered the production of a top-10 overall draft pick. He has averaged 103 catches, 1,295 yards and 6 1/2 touchdowns the past two seasons.

Based on an NFL salary database compiled by USA Today last season, 58 receivers made more than $2.2 million last season.

Marshall also has cited a lack of trust in the team's medical care as a reason for not wanting to rehab at team headquarters. Before failing to report for the mandatory offseason practice session Friday, Marshall had skipped the previous three weeks of "voluntary" workouts because he wanted to rehab under the care of his personal physicians in Orlando, Fla.

"Of course, we'd love to have him here," said Chris Simms, who is competing with Orton for the Broncos' starting quarterback job. "He's very talented, and he's going to make our team better and he's a good guy. We love having him around. But at the same time, it's the NFL, it's a business. There's a lot of things that go into decisions like this, so you've got to respect his decision and we'll continue to work here."

The Broncos have not yet indicated a willingness to make a long-term investment in Marshall. The team might want to first see how he recovers from his hip surgery. Marshall also has been involved in numerous off-field legal issues — enough to where one more infraction could leave him vulnerable to a long-term suspension under the league's personal conduct policy.

Marshall is not expected to report today or Sunday, which would make training camp in late July the next step in his protest. A Broncos player has not held out from training camp since receiver Ashley Lelie in 2006. Lelie eventually was traded to San Francisco, a move that helped clear playing time for a rookie named Brandon Marshall.

"It's something we're going to handle and take care of it in-house," McDaniels said. "I've been through a number of these situations. Whether it does or doesn't get fixed, that's something that's going to play out in the future. But we're going to coach the guys that are here the best we can. When he's ready to go and we get him out here, we'll get him out here."

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12581741?source=rss

Bad Intentions
06-13-2009, 06:55 AM
AS I have understood it he has a playbook and supposedly is studying it.. and supposedly him and Josh were getting along..

but book learning is so much more different than actually running the routes watching film and going over things with your fellow players and coaches..

Now we all know he can't run routes and catch the ball.. but he should have been here all the time doing the rest of the stuff that his fellow WR's have been doing..

since this playbook is about confusing the defense with multiple crossing routes unless your actually seeing it and doing it your going to fall behind the others..

But Josh has also stated he will have so 40 odd sessions during TC to catch up.. but that also means the guys that have been here all the time will be some 30-40 sessions ahead of him also..

Now I have some odd thoughts to talk out ..

does anyone think that because he will not be the top gun in the offense since it is all about hitting the open man.. does anyone think he may be rebelling wanting more attention in the Offense..

Knowing that last year they doubled him alot and jay threw to him any way.. I think that he may see that the QB will now throw to the open man if he is doubled..

perhaps he has seen the playbook and is scared of it that he will not be able to "get it".. that perhaps he is not smart enough..

perhaps he thinks he will not be a TEAM player (he certainly has proven some of that with the hold out).

hey maybe it is only about money.. as I do not for one minute think the Broncos doctors are the real issue.. tuten maybe, with his "Strength and conditioning drills"

but the Broncos have millions of dollars invested in the players and I can not think of anyone that would not want to have them in prime condition to protect their investment.. I do not think the doctors are bad, because thy use some of the best in the country to do their consultations and surgery..

I believe that part of this is a smoke screen.. the comments about the doctors not seeing the issue in two separate MRI's just does not make sense to me.. and then to have a Bronco Doctor do the surgery.. and for that matter that was all under mike the old staff not Josh and the new staff.

sorry that just does not add up for me..

him taking three boxes out means that he is taking the playbook home to study or he came to get his stuff and not planing on coming back..

this IMHO does not bode well for marshall playing in DEN this year..

All interesting points, but BMarsh has been saying all the right things about the offense and all indications are that he really likes it.

I think this is more about the staff misdiagnosing his injury. I bet that is coming up in contract talks and is bothering him. He said himself that if it were the Superbowl a few weeks ago, he'd be playing in it. He can run now. I think the Broncos want to put some protection in the contract for injury and off field stuff (and rightfully so, IMO). I also think that Brandon feels "victimized" by his hip injury and the team's poor diagnosis last year. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he felt that he played through so much pain, that the team "owes" it to him to reward him without considering the injury risk OR off-field stuff since he laid it on the line for the team last year and played through everything. Too bad we didn't get rid of Greek and the rest of the training/medical staff. I think he has good reason to be upset, but I don't think he'll get very far with it... And, if we had got rid of the pathetic staff (you know, the ones that said guys like George Foster and Willie Middlebrooks were good to go and draft them early), we would have that to show BMarsh that there was less reason for him to be concerned.

nevcraw
06-13-2009, 07:29 AM
a number of these situations, my ass..

Nomad
06-13-2009, 07:59 AM
Many people work hurt in life and get paid alot less than Marshall, too bad all those people who get missed diagnosis's can't get recompensated. I believe the BRONCOS don't owe Marshall anything because he went out there and did the job he is supposed to and signed a contract. The fella should have stayed out of trouble because then this situation would be a no-brainer and he'd have his new contract.

Traveler
06-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Marshall is so far behind the 8ball in terms of learning this offense that losing him now wouldn't really make much differnece IMO. Love for them to work it out, but, how long will it be before Brandon is up to speed?

The way I'm interpreting all these offseason moves, it's becoming painfully obvious that we will be a run first team again. Our receivers will play second fiddle to the run game. Hence, McDaniels keeping only Dennison & Turner from the previous staff.

Maybe Marshall sees this too and is forcing the tams hand on shipping him elsewhere toa more passing friendly scheme.

gobroncsnv
06-13-2009, 09:25 AM
How many SB's has New England won since Moss got there??? The answer is a dunkin' donut...
Look, BMarsh has so much potential, and has realized quite a bit of it... for him to be asking for a large pay raise is one thing, but for Denver to be nuts enough to give him a large dollar multi-year pay hike when he has yet to show he can get through a season without the threat of a suspension is quite another...
I like the kid, I love what he brings to the game, and if you just looked at his success on the field, you'd think you HAVE to pay the man his due. But Brandon needs to SHOW that he's more than just words about being a changed man, and for an extended period of time. For him, a WHOLE YEAR probably seems like an eternity, and in his heart, he's saying never again to committing a suspend-able act... But Bowlen has seen this movie a few times, and is not convinced the ending will change just because the star said it would.
Brandon, play out your contract, (no, I wouldn't mind seeing somewhat of a raise), but knock off the holdout crap, be a team leader, and own up to what you signed for. I think you could end up being so much better than a TO knockoff. You're my adopted Bronco, after all.

rcsodak
06-13-2009, 11:05 AM

Really? How'd they do game 1, last year? :coffee:

Requiem / The Dagda
06-13-2009, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't want to get diagnosed by this medical staff either . See: Toviessi, Watts, Middlebrokos, Pryce and Wilson

red98
06-13-2009, 11:46 AM

In NE last year the top 2 recvrs caught 111 and 69 passes.
In NE 2007 the top 2 recvrs caught 112 and 98 passes.

This is a pass heavy offense that McKid runs. Plenty of passes to go around.

Drill-N-Fill
06-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Don't see what the problem is. Pay him what he's worth and put injury and off-field clause in there. Win-win situation for everybody. I'm so tiered of bad news this offseason.

Lonestar
06-13-2009, 12:03 PM
All interesting points, but BMarsh has been saying all the right things about the offense and all indications are that he really likes it.

I think this is more about the staff misdiagnosing his injury. I bet that is coming up in contract talks and is bothering him. He said himself that if it were the Superbowl a few weeks ago, he'd be playing in it. He can run now. I think the Broncos want to put some protection in the contract for injury and off field stuff (and rightfully so, IMO). I also think that Brandon feels "victimized" by his hip injury and the team's poor diagnosis last year. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he felt that he played through so much pain, that the team "owes" it to him to reward him without considering the injury risk OR off-field stuff since he laid it on the line for the team last year and played through everything. Too bad we didn't get rid of Greek and the rest of the training/medical staff. I think he has good reason to be upset, but I don't think he'll get very far with it... And, if we had got rid of the pathetic staff (you know, the ones that said guys like George Foster and Willie Middlebrooks were good to go and draft them early), we would have that to show BMarsh that there was less reason for him to be concerned.

Do you really think our staff had anything to do with foster and middlebroken. As mysterious as mike was in the past I doubt if any of them were brought in to eye ball.

In many cases our daft choices had NO idea we were even interested in them. When there named was called they were surprised.

Mike has always been known for reaching for guys he fell in love with. I believe in these cases that to be the fact. He raved about fosters FAST feet had never saw a big guy like that with fast feet like he had.

As for Watts again I think the one hand was known about or they were blind (scouts) and they were looking at his prduction numbers only. After all he broke many of Moss's records at Marshall he must be good right?

Mike was a risk taker in the DAFT and he simply got burned on day one alot. After all was he not the guy that found TD in the sixth? The asstermind that could do no wrong. A legend in his own mind.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Can't do clauses like that, and yes our staff has everything to do with diagnosing the injuries of players and reviewing their medical history. They do this extensively at Indianapolis. Every team. Physical and mental evaluations. Furthermore, they do this as they continue in the NFL. Obviously.

SoCalImport
06-13-2009, 12:08 PM
First off. Clady (if anyone) is the lynchpin of this offense.

I agree that this story doesn't paint a positive picture regarding the chances of B.Marsh holding out/asking for trade/being unhappy. I can see his role in the new scheme not being to his liking, and Mc.D's not likely to mince words about that.

Ultimately though. Marshal is looking at his stats, then looking at the contracts of other wideouts around the league with similar stats.
Just like with Weigman, I can totally understand why B.Marsh is looking to get paid now. These guys must feel the stress when it comes to a business that can chew you up and spit you out as quickly as look at you. They must feel like they may not (in this kind of situation) get another shot at a big payday.
A BIG pro sports contract will grant the kind of wealth that can last generations. That's a lot to consider. Must feel like a HUGE responsibility (to some)

Lonestar
06-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Broncos' Marshall again a no-show at minicamp
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 06/13/2009 11:06:24 AM MDT
Updated: 06/13/2009 11:13:02 AM MDT

As expected, Brandon Marshall did not show up again for Day Two of the Broncos' mandatory minicamp today.

Seeking a new contract, Marshall had skipped the previous three weeks of voluntary passing camp plus the first two days of the Broncos' three-day mandatory minicamp this weekend.

Marshall met Friday afternoon with Broncos owner Pat Bowlen, but apparently the star receiver wasn't satisfied enough with that conversation to return. After combining for 206 catches the previous two seasons, Marshall isn't pleased with the one year, $2.2 million remaining on his deal.

However, he is still recovering from hip surgery and has been involved in numerous police-related incidents the past five years.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12584694?source=rss

Lonestar
06-13-2009, 01:44 PM
First off. Clady (if anyone) is the lynchpin of this offense.

I agree that this story doesn't paint a positive picture regarding the chances of B.Marsh holding out/asking for trade/being unhappy. I can see his role in the new scheme not being to his liking, and Mc.D's not likely to mince words about that.

Ultimately though. Marshal is looking at his stats, then looking at the contracts of other wideouts around the league with similar stats.
Just like with Weigman, I can totally understand why B.Marsh is looking to get paid now. These guys must feel the stress when it comes to a business that can chew you up and spit you out as quickly as look at you. They must feel like they may not (in this kind of situation) get another shot at a big payday.
A BIG pro sports contract will grant the kind of wealth that can last generations. That's a lot to consider. Must feel like a HUGE responsibility (to some)

he will likely not get any chance at a new contract in DEN and wind up doing just the opposite if they are not able to get a great player (all pro) in return or slew of draft choices from a weak assed team. he is going to be holding out the season for nothing but fines.

As it stands right now he is their property to do with for this year and two more RFA years that will mean the other team giving up and Number one choice the following year..

which means he is a bronco at 2.2 this year and 3.1+ the following two years.. Those are facts of life he could go to CFL till the broncos cut him or his contract plays out in 2012-13..

or he could suck it up and play like a mad man keep his nose clean and EARN a new contract from PAT and Josh..

now what do you think this twit will do?

WARHORSE
06-13-2009, 01:50 PM
In case you didn't realize we are in the worst recession since the great depression. I've noticed many of you spending Pat's money like it grows on trees. Well, trees are sustainable, these player's salaries, much like the housing market are not sustainable. Pat already spent Brandon's raise by paying off Shanny's contract.

Saying we should pay Brandon for what he's worth means your trying to sell me something like a house at the value it was 3 years ago, when the prices became unsustainable. Now you can get a house for 40% of what it was back then, so who's paying full value now? Only a fool.

So the team owners are trying to restructure the CBA by crying poor like they always do, only this time they are not crying wolf. They are not too big to fail. Careless checkbooks can doom them.

Actually, Pat Bowlen has been spending his money like it grows on trees.

Biggest offseason spending since forever.

Over 100 mil in the recession filled United States of the NFL.

Holding out is super bad news for Brandon. Cause if he holds out, he will be holding out into the season.

That will be about the time the money he has starts gettin real tight.

Owing huge fines, the pressure will mount every week that hes not in the lockeroom.................which means pressure at home...................with wife number one. :tsk:

atwater27
06-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Marshall's hip is a huuuuuge question mark. He knows this and is trying to get some quick cash in case his career is negatively affected or severely shortened by the injury. Broncos would be dumb to extend his contract, unless there are production and injury caveats.

Lonestar
06-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Actually, Pat Bowlen has been spending his money like it grows on trees.

Biggest offseason spending since forever.

Over 100 mil in the recession filled United States of the NFL.

Holding out is super bad news for Brandon. Cause if he holds out, he will be holding out into the season.

That will be about the time the money he has starts gettin real tight.

Owing huge fines, the pressure will mount every week that hes not in the lockeroom.................which means pressure at home...................with wife number one. :tsk:

it is not just the holding out.. it is a matter of him "getting" the scheme.. his team mates have been working there asses off learning it and will be just that much farther ahead to the point they may doing it automatically while he is still thinking about it..

so even If he comes to camp now he is still a long way from being at the same level everyone else is..

this is not longer just lining up and going deep each time like last year.. or bubble screen... lots of deceptive routes by everyone involved to get those mismatches..

if he runs the route wrong it may cause the other WR to deflect other wise catchable balls into the defenses hands.

UnderArmour
06-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Marshall has also cited a lack of trust in the Broncos' medical care as a reason for not wanting to rehab at the team's headquarters.

The Broncos have reason to consider Marshall an investment risk. The team might want to first see how he recovers from his hip surgery. He also has been involved in numerous off-field legal issues to the point where another infraction could leave him vulnerable to a long-term suspension under the league's personal conduct policy.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12577176?source=rss

Oh well. I was at least half right, Jrwiz.

Lonestar
06-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Oh well. I was at least half right, Jrwiz.

but is it really justified.. his surgeon was from Colorado all he is doing down there is rehabbing which contrary to everyone that thinks FL is the best.. yet he spent a few days going to Reebok to sign that deal.. Sorry I think he head just inflated while he was in Waikiki to the point like jay, poorti$$$ and a few others that will not allow him to be happy in DEN again..

Maybe his new name should be mar$$$hall..

OrangeHoof
06-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Really? How'd they do game 1, last year? :coffee:

Fine. But that QB is not in camp this year.

WARHORSE
06-13-2009, 11:35 PM
it is not just the holding out.. it is a matter of him "getting" the scheme.. his team mates have been working there asses off learning it and will be just that much farther ahead to the point they may doing it automatically while he is still thinking about it..

so even If he comes to camp now he is still a long way from being at the same level everyone else is..

this is not longer just lining up and going deep each time like last year.. or bubble screen... lots of deceptive routes by everyone involved to get those mismatches..

if he runs the route wrong it may cause the other WR to deflect other wise catchable balls into the defenses hands.

Well, up until this time, Brandon has been learning the offense and according to McDaniels, if Brandon gets into camp, there should be no problem.

He will at least be able to play the positions he knows well. The rest can come as he moves along.

It wont be an optimal situation for us, but it will still be highly effective imo.

WARHORSE
06-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Marshall's hip is a huuuuuge question mark. He knows this and is trying to get some quick cash in case his career is negatively affected or severely shortened by the injury. Broncos would be dumb to extend his contract, unless there are production and injury caveats.

I cant see how the questions involving his knee are qualified as huge.

He played the entire season pretty much with it.

14 games.

104 catches with a bum hip? I'll take it.

Extend him with behavior clauses that protect the Broncos.

I'm not worried about his hip.

broncohead
06-13-2009, 11:53 PM

Yep 2 100 reception seasons and 2 1000+ yard seasons and he's looking for "quick cash." I don't see how the hip is an issue. How many players career ended or was "severely shortened" by the injury? Smith doesn't qualify because he was already at the end of his career. Who else?

Lonestar
06-14-2009, 12:34 AM
Well, up until this time, Brandon has been learning the offense and according to McDaniels, if Brandon gets into camp, there should be no problem.

He will at least be able to play the positions he knows well. The rest can come as he moves along.

It wont be an optimal situation for us, but it will still be highly effective imo.

do you really believe this? or do you think Josh was trying to play nice nice with him after the jay-gate thingy.. do you really think he is remotely close to where the other WR are in learning this complex concise spread offense..

as I understand this scheme the WR run patterns to wipe off DB's and confuse the defense and read and react to what the defense does.. not like last year when he went deep about 80% of the time and took bubble screen the rest of the time..:laugh:

Look I know he can't run/practice on the field but he could have been here studying film, setting in on meetings and being on the sidelines looking and seeing what the X's and O's really look like on the field..

But he has drawn the line in the sand and move out of dove valley.. fro what ever reason you want to believe I believe it is and always has been money..

rcsodak
06-14-2009, 01:14 AM
he will likely not get any chance at a new contract in DEN and wind up doing just the opposite if they are not able to get a great player (all pro) in return or slew of draft choices from a weak assed team. he is going to be holding out the season for nothing but fines.

As it stands right now he is their property to do with for this year and two more RFA years that will mean the other team giving up and Number one choice the following year..

which means he is a bronco at 2.2 this year and 3.1+ the following two years.. Those are facts of life he could go to CFL till the broncos cut him or his contract plays out in 2012-13..

or he could suck it up and play like a mad man keep his nose clean and EARN a new contract from PAT and Josh..

now what do you think this twit will do?

If he isn't careful, he could be sitting on the bench this year, and not receiving ANY money!
And next year, teams will shy away from him. Well...everybody but the faid/chefs.

rcsodak
06-14-2009, 01:29 AM
Fine. But that QB is not in camp this year.

1. That wasn't your original point.

2. "No running game" last year *not my words, but others'*

3. Is it the QB that makes the wr look good, or vise versa?