PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Rahim Moore works to rebound from disappointing rookie season

Denver Native (Carol)
06-07-2012, 02:19 PM
There was little about Rahim Moore's rookie year that went according to plan.

Moore, a second-round draft pick out of UCLA in 2011, was immediately named a starter in training camp for the Broncos, but he found himself benched by the team's sixth game. He was even left off the game-day roster for one game in December, and he finished the season with only one interception and 34 total tackles.

"It was a big learning experience for me. This was one of the only years I've ever went with no production, and that wasn't something I was looking forward to going into my rookie year. I wanted to play better," Moore said Thursday after the Broncos' final voluntary practice. "But I think I needed that, and it's driving me right now to want to compete and have a better season and be able to help the team win."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20805520/broncos-rahim-moore-works-rebound-from-disappointing-rookie

Cugel
06-07-2012, 03:41 PM
The Broncos signed free-agent veteran Mike Adams in March, who appears to be Moore's direct competition at free safety. But Moore said every safety on the roster is competing at both free- and strong-safety positions. Moore was working with the first-team defense, along with Adams and ahead of fellow second-year player Quinton Carter, in the practice that was open to the media earlier this week.

Moore can say what he wants. It's nice to see that he's re-dedicated himself to having a better season. He'll need to keep that attitude if he wants to stay on the roster after this season.

But, the Broncos are giving Mike Adams $4 million a season for a good reason, and that reason is NOT to sit on the bench behind Rahim Moore!

It sounds like Moore is competing with Quinton Carter for playing time at SS, which could easily be. The Broncos liked Carter's effort and play at SS his rookie year and he figures to be the starter this season, but if Moore can out-play him, then fine.

I don't see him outplaying Mike Adams though. Adams is a veteran FS with over 60 tackles last year starting for the Browns. He's played well in the OTAs and picked off a Manning pass. He's as good as advertised which is one of the better cover S's in the NFL.

Moore is really going to have to improve a LOT to start ahead of him this season.

But, that doesn't mean he won't get on the field if he's a backup. If he plays well he'll see more action in nickel coverages and there is always the possibility of injury to any of the guys starting ahead of him which could give him a chance at a starting role.

And of course he could possibly beat out Carter. That's not locked in stone by any means. But, it's hard to justify paying a guy $4 million and sitting him on the bench which the Broncos would have to do to Mike Adams to start Moore ahead of him.

You can't justify paying that money to a backup. So, they have to either start him or cut him basically. If Moore wins that job expect the Broncos to deal Adams next off-season and give his money to someone who WILL start.

Chef Zambini
06-07-2012, 03:43 PM
everyone is working hard. everyone is working for the team.
"we are family"
"I am motivated by my poor performance last year"
yada, yada, yada.
they should move moore to safety.

Slick
06-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Yeah, the front office showed how confident they were in Moore's potential and ability to develop by signing Adams.

Jsteve01
06-07-2012, 04:12 PM
I still have hopes for Moore. He and Irving are both players who really got hurt by the shortened offseason. Irving with the high ankle sprain and Moore with an inability to adjust.

Slick
06-07-2012, 04:15 PM
I still have hopes for Moore. He and Irving are both players who really got hurt by the shortened offseason. Irving with the high ankle sprain and Moore with an inability to adjust.

It would be nice to see those guys pan out. It sucks we had to spend 8 million a year on two veterans to play their positions.

Cugel
06-07-2012, 04:36 PM
$4 million a year for a starting NFL safety is NOT out of line at all. In fact, if Moore ever became a long-term starter and re-signed with the Broncos after the expiration of his rookie contract he'd get that kind of money too.

It's "starter money." It's just that since they are paying Adams starter money they're not going to start Moore ahead of him. Not for long.

If they have to play Moore ahead of Adams then Adams is not worth his money. They will then start Moore and ship Adams out next season. Because they aren't going to pay him $4 million to sit on the bench.

I'm not saying Adams will sit on the bench. He'll start. He's young and good.

I don't know why you are complaining about the Broncos signing one of the better cover S's in the league and paying him what he's worth. Because you want to see Moore start? Why if he's not as good? And he's probably not.

tomjonesrocks
06-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Looking like a dreadful pick. A lot of guys this team could have had in his spot in that draft that could have helped the team.

One year doesn't a failed player make but Moore didn't show anything last season except a brief streak of nasty in the preseason that rattled him and never returned.

Very dissapointing.

Slick
06-07-2012, 04:54 PM
$4 million a year for a starting NFL safety is NOT out of line at all. In fact, if Moore ever became a long-term starter and re-signed with the Broncos after the expiration of his rookie contract he'd get that kind of money too.

It's "starter money." It's just that since they are paying Adams starter money they're not going to start Moore ahead of him. Not for long.

If they have to play Moore ahead of Adams then Adams is not worth his money. They will then start Moore and ship Adams out next season. Because they aren't going to pay him $4 million to sit on the bench.

I'm not saying Adams will sit on the bench. He'll start. He's young and good.

I don't know why you are complaining about the Broncos signing one of the better cover S's in the league and paying him what he's worth. Because you want to see Moore start? Why if he's not as good? And he's probably not.

You read more into my post then was actually there Cugel.

Let me try again...

It would have been nice if Irving and Moore were ready and able to start and produce instead of paying Adams and Mays a total of 8 million dollars a season to start in their places. It would have been better for the Broncos if they could have used that money elsewhere. I was hoping that considering where we drafted those guys, that they would be able to start in their sophomore seasons.

NightTerror218
06-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Moores productions dropped IMO after he got the fined for that huge hit in preseason. I think it messed with his head.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-07-2012, 08:12 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Rahim Moore believes this year will be different.

The second-year safety started the first five games of his rookie campaign last year but his playing time diminished in the second half of the season.

“I think (last year) was one of the only years I went with no production, and that’s not something I looked forward to going into my rookie season,” said Moore, who had 31 tackles, a pick, two pass breakups and a fumble recovery in 2011. “I wanted to play better, but I think I needed that. It’s driven me now to want to compete and to have a better season and be able to help the team win.”

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Ready-For-Moore/264c8b00-67de-4141-b664-0400077436a2

Traveler
06-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Adams replaces Dawkins IMO. Moore & Carter fight it out for the other spot is my assumption.

sneakers
06-08-2012, 12:11 AM
If you are a rookie defensive back and you make a mistake, the result is usually disastrous. No one there to cover up your mistake....I think a rookie left tackle would be closest thing on teh offensive side (besides QB)