PDA

View Full Version : Broncos agree to deal with Ty Warren

BroncoWave
06-06-2012, 02:25 PM
According to Warren in his presser today...

"Warren: "We got the deal done behind closed doors. I'm happy that it's done.""

www.twitter.com/maxbroncos

BroncoWave
06-06-2012, 02:25 PM
No specifics on the deal.

SR
06-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Happy

Slick
06-06-2012, 02:30 PM
He'll probably pull a groin in camp.

underrated29
06-06-2012, 02:32 PM
VERY HAPPY!

While I am not expecting anything spectacular from him, I was just amazed at the people who wanted or thought he would get cut and we would have a starting DT rotation of Bannan and this Silivia guy.

I dont give a rats ass about what the FO thinks about Silivia- he is a ufda who could have been drafted but wasnt. I do NOT want him as my starting DT. Good Laaawd.

LTC Pain
06-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Screw Ty Warren. If Warren is putting out the info then the deal probably favors him. I hope he can play a full season without injury and earn the bread he's taken the last two season.

Northman
06-06-2012, 02:37 PM

This. ^

BroncoWave
06-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Good quote for those bashing him for being greedy when he balked at having his salary reduced to 1 million:

" "I hated the way I wasn't able to do anything [in 2011] for the way I was compensated. I have a conscience in that sense.""

www.twitter.com/postbroncos

BroncoWave
06-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Screw Ty Warren. If Warren is putting out the info then the deal probably favors him. I hope he can play a full season without injury and earn the bread he's taken the last two season.

The Broncos sent him to the podium for a press conference today. The media asked him about his contract. What was he supposed to say?

BroncoWave
06-06-2012, 02:39 PM

This. ^

You can always count on Broncos fans to look at the sunny side of things! :lol:

Slick
06-06-2012, 02:42 PM
You can always count on Broncos fans to look at the sunny side of things! :lol:

This is Ty Warren we're talking about.

I'm as optimistic as the next guy about getting Peyton, watching Von Miller improve, and the potential of our draft picks.

CoachChaz
06-06-2012, 02:45 PM
He'll be motivated to help his fellow Aggie. Wait and see.

Northman
06-06-2012, 02:48 PM
This is Ty Warren we're talking about.

I'm as optimistic as the next guy about getting Peyton, watching Von Miller improve, and the potential of our draft picks.

Lmao, no shit. Its all about the player in question.

iLands
06-06-2012, 02:52 PM
I screamed in joy when I read this. I'm glad something could be worked out that was mutually agreeable. Warren, impress us. Prove to us that you deserve this.

broncofaninfla
06-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Good if he's healthy he could a solid addition to the DT rotation. Hopefully Denver protected themselves with an injury clause given his recent injury issues. Time will tell but I'm feeling better about our DT's now.

HORSEPOWER 56
06-06-2012, 02:56 PM
At least it's behind us. Now, for the love of all that is holy, can we lock Prater up long term? The dude was the MVP of how many games last season? I know EF said they expect both Prater and Warren in mandatory camp next week. Get Prater done. Nobody appreciates having a clutch kicker with a big leg until you don't have one...

NorCalBronco7
06-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Very happy as well.

Hopefully he stays healthy, and if he does, he'll be the best run defender the Broncos have.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-06-2012, 03:31 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Defensive tackle Ty Warren agreed to a restructured contract, the team announced on Wednesday. The 10th-year player participated in the Broncos’ OTA practice earlier this morning.

“Ultimately we met in a middle ground and got the deal done,” Warren said.

Warren, who was signed by Denver prior to the 2011 season, was injured during training camp and spent the 2011 season on injured reserve.

“It definitely was a blow,” Warren said about missing the season. “I had every intention to come in, earn my spot and make an impact.”

rest - http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/broncos-warren-agree-on-restructured-contract/

bcbronc
06-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Meh can't say I'm overly excited. The cat is old for his position and hasn't played in two years. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets cut in camp.

Mannway187
06-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Good, now that he signed for less he'll be easier to find a team willing to trade something for him. Thats the only way the Broncos will ever be able to get anything out of this guy. If they don't trade him soon he'll be looking to find his way back onto the gravytrain he's been riding for the last 3 years. If he had anything left to offer, Belichek wouldn't have cut him loose. Stick a fork in this guy, he's done. It'll be awfull tough for him to go from layin around on the couch all week to playing DT in the NFL. I'm betting he doesn't make it through training camp. He'l retire if he doesn't hurt himself first.

Chef Zambini
06-06-2012, 04:25 PM
He'll probably pull a groin in camp.no tuten is gone,
conditioning is now a professional reality for our players, along with nutrition.

BroncoWave
06-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Good, now that he signed for less he'll be easier to find a team willing to trade something for him. Thats the only way the Broncos will ever be able to get anything out of this guy. If they don't trade him soon he'll be looking to find his way back onto the gravytrain he's been riding for the last 3 years. If he had anything left to offer, Belichek wouldn't have cut him loose. Stick a fork in this guy, he's done. It'll be awfull tough for him to go from layin around on the couch all week to playing DT in the NFL. I'm betting he doesn't make it through training camp. He'l retire if he doesn't hurt himself first.

Yeah, because all of Bellichick's roster moves as of late have been spot on. His aptitude for personnel has been getting pretty overrated lately. Other than Brady, Gronk, and Welker, that team really doesn't have a whole lot of talent.

NightTerror218
06-06-2012, 04:48 PM
less time in OTA means less chances of a preseason injury

Chef Zambini
06-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Good, now that he signed for less he'll be easier to find a team willing to trade something for him. Thats the only way the Broncos will ever be able to get anything out of this guy. If they don't trade him soon he'll be looking to find his way back onto the gravytrain he's been riding for the last 3 years. If he had anything left to offer, Belichek wouldn't have cut him loose. Stick a fork in this guy, he's done. It'll be awfull tough for him to go from layin around on the couch all week to playing DT in the NFL. I'm betting he doesn't make it through training camp. He'l retire if he doesn't hurt himself first.do you think he could play safety?

Davii
06-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Glad to read this. Our defense is better because of this. If he can stay healthy this could greatly help us out up front.

Simple Jaded
06-06-2012, 08:06 PM
I screamed in joy when I read this. I'm glad something could be worked out that was mutually agreeable. Warren, impress us. Prove to us that you deserve this.

Prove that he deserves a paycut? :D.......

Mannway187
06-07-2012, 01:18 AM
Yeah, because all of Bellichick's roster moves as of late have been spot on. His aptitude for personnel has been getting pretty overrated lately. Other than Brady, Gronk, and Welker, that team really doesn't have a whole lot of talent.

They seem to do pretty good for a team with only three talented players. My point is that they don't trade away players that are capable of making a contribution. Don't get me wrong, I hate the Patriots and am glad they got their asses tossed in the super bowl but they did make it that far. And we'll likely see them in next years playoffs again. If they are a three man team then those three did a pretty good job of smokin us twice last year. I'll give them the credit they deserve until they proove otherwise they're the team to beat only because of their head coach and his 6th round QB. I just hope we aren't still carrying their discarded dead weight DT around next time we see them.

Dzone
06-07-2012, 09:26 AM
He wont make it through pre season . Put a fork in him, he's done

BroncoWave
06-07-2012, 10:00 AM
They seem to do pretty good for a team with only three talented players. My point is that they don't trade away players that are capable of making a contribution. Don't get me wrong, I hate the Patriots and am glad they got their asses tossed in the super bowl but they did make it that far. And we'll likely see them in next years playoffs again. If they are a three man team then those three did a pretty good job of smokin us twice last year. I'll give them the credit they deserve until they proove otherwise they're the team to beat only because of their head coach and his 6th round QB. I just hope we aren't still carrying their discarded dead weight DT around next time we see them.

Seriously, other than those three guys (and I'll add Wilfork) name another All-Pro caliber player on that roster. Tom Brady CARRIES that team much like Manning did with all of those awful Colts teams. The pats had the LAST ranked defense in the NFL last season and only an average running game. That roster is not very talented past the few top line stars. If Brady were to go down again, that would not be another 11-5 team. More likely the inverse. If Bellichick doesn't completely luck out on Brady in the 6th round he wouldn't get anywhere near the reverence that he does.

I think Bellichick's career will heavily mirror Shanahan's. Great when he had a great QB, but never anything overly special after that.

TXBRONC
06-07-2012, 10:49 AM

I know you're probably right but please be quiet. :lol:

Mannway187
06-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Seriously, other than those three guys (and I'll add Wilfork) name another All-Pro caliber player on that roster. Tom Brady CARRIES that team much like Manning did with all of those awful Colts teams. The pats had the LAST ranked defense in the NFL last season and only an average running game. That roster is not very talented past the few top line stars. If Brady were to go down again, that would not be another 11-5 team. More likely the inverse. If Bellichick doesn't completely luck out on Brady in the 6th round he wouldn't get anywhere near the reverence that he does.

I think Bellichick's career will heavily mirror Shanahan's. Great when he had a great QB, but never anything overly special after that.

Except now they have their all world offensive coordinator back in the booth.:captain: You know, the guy who made Cassel a "superstar".:faint: The same guy that made Brady the player he was before he became the player he used to be.:ponder: The same guy that made the Broncos the team they were:egg: before moving on so they could become the team they are.:congrats: Please don't make me say his name.:spit:

TXBRONC
06-07-2012, 10:56 AM

Matt Light, Logan Makins, Gronkowski, Hernandez, and Welker. He's some talent around him but take a great quarterback out the line up it can kill a good team.

Dzone
06-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Jamal Williams Part Deux

Cugel
06-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Well, now that Ty Warren has Agreed to Restructured Contract; Joins OTAs (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20796987/ty-warren-agrees-broncos-restructured-contract-joins-otas) we'll get to see what he has left.

Apparently they "met in the middle" between $1 million and $4 million a season. My guess (since the contract details were filed with the league but not released) is that the contract is nearer to $1 million than $4 million. "In the middle may very well mean $1.5 million rather than $2.5 million.

In any case, he feels like he's as healthy as he's been in years, which is normal since he hasn't had anybody pounding on his body since 2009. But, he's going to be incredibly rusty.

Due to a shoulder injury I couldn't ski for a couple of years a few years ago. I've been skiing since I was 5 and am a (reasonably) expert skier. But, when I first tried to come back, it felt like I'd totally forgotten how to ski! I couldn't believe it.

Being a professional athlete trying to come back after missing so much time and play at an elite level has got to be unbelievably hard.

Think Michael Jordan's (forgettable) time spent with the Wizards. It wasn't so much that he was washed up as that it's just impossible to quit a sport for several years and then come back and be the same player you were when you left.

Many athletes have tried that and failed. (Do any of you remember 7 time Olympic Gold Medalist Mark Spitz's pathetic come-back attempt, years later?)

In Warren's favor he's barely 31 years old and hasn't taken the pounding of a full NFL season since he was 28. So, his body should be younger than a 31 year old DT who's played 3 more full seasons than Warren has.

But, I don't expect him to ever become the elite DT he was in 2008 again. The record of athletes taking a few years off and then trying to return to the same form they were at before just isn't encouraging in that respect.

Cugel
06-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Woody Paige (http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_20800405/woody-paige-denver-broncos-ty-warren-easy-welcome) has some good points for a change (shock) in writing today about Warren:

Warren said this is the best he has felt since he was bigger than everybody else in high school. Wednesday he still was large, 310 pounds large. He is, to anyone who has spent time with him, a gentleman giant off the field, an "(unprintable word)," he used, on. "Classiest Patriot," prominent Boston columnist Jackie MacMullan told me last year. He has been as classy in Denver.

Clown-car passengers in Denver thought Warren was an ingrate for not returning the $2,750,000 he received from the Broncos last season. One dunce commenter wrote on The Post website Wednesday afternoon, "Nice little scam he's got going on," as if this were some workers' compensation fraud. How do you fake a triceps tear on an MRI? Would the dunce give back his salary if he were injured on his job, assuming he ever held one?

Warren said, "I never wanted to tear a tricep." He actually apologized Wednesday for not being able to earn his "compensation" in 2011.

Another yahoo wrote on the Internet that the Broncos should get rid of Warren because he's been injured. Well, then, the Broncos never should have signed Peyton Manning, and never should have brought back Dumervil after his torn pectoral muscle, and they shouldn't have re-signed Champ Bailey, who has occasionally been injured. John Elway was injured when he was playing.

If you are thinking greed, visit any of the CEOs a couple of miles from Dove Valley in the Denver Tech Center. The only injury any of those corporate capitalists ever suffered was to their pride.

It's difficult to argue that Warren has done anything wrong, but for some reason some fans seem to blame a player who gets hurt for any reason.

Chef Zambini
06-07-2012, 12:50 PM
I expect healthier broncos now that tuten is gone.

Cugel
06-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Injuries happen every year. It's a part of life in the NFL. Warren for instance was hurt and missed the season in 2010, BEFORE he became a Bronco. You certainly can't blame Tuten for that one!

NightTerror218
06-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Warren has not been sitting on a couch for 2 years. He has prob been working out and conditioning. He will not be as rusty as you think. The rust comes IMO when your body is not use to it. I can ski/snowboard black diamonds with easy even if I take a couple year break. I hit the mountain a couple times a year and then I take a couple year break due to being busy and its more nerves at first but doesn't hold me back. Same goes with Rugby/soccer/basketball/football its all about conditioning and being in shape. I played all those sports and took breaks went back. These all require conditioning and if you are out of shape then its harder. Which can come with not playing for a couple years. I plan to go back to rugby next season and I have not played in 4 years. I can still tackle, kick and pass the ball. I may die in conditioning though.

you think warren has forgot how to shed a blocker? Forgot how to tackle?

you mention Jordan playing for the Wizards, when he was in his 40s. Big difference, when your body is not at that level anymore then being rusty.

Slick
06-07-2012, 01:16 PM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/402090-Broncos-agree-to-deal-with-Ty-Warren

Denver Native (Carol)
06-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Denver Broncos defensive lineman Ty Warren took a $2.5 million paycut in his recent renegotiation.

According to a league source, Warren is due a $1.25 million base salary down from his originally scheduled $4 million base salary.

rest - http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=1192954&nid=5849896&fhn=1

LTC Pain
06-07-2012, 02:06 PM
rest - http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=1192954&nid=5849896&fhn=1

Ahh, good news. This alters my perception of Mr. Warren. Hope his new contract is laden with games played incentives.

Cugel
06-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Warren has not been sitting on a couch for 2 years. He has prob been working out and conditioning. He will not be as rusty as you think. The rust comes IMO when your body is not use to it. I can ski/snowboard black diamonds with easy even if I take a couple year break. I hit the mountain a couple times a year and then I take a couple year break due to being busy and its more nerves at first but doesn't hold me back. Same goes with Rugby/soccer/basketball/football its all about conditioning and being in shape. I played all those sports and took breaks went back. These all require conditioning and if you are out of shape then its harder. Which can come with not playing for a couple years. I plan to go back to rugby next season and I have not played in 4 years. I can still tackle, kick and pass the ball. I may die in conditioning though.

you think warren has forgot how to shed a blocker? Forgot how to tackle?

you mention Jordan playing for the Wizards, when he was in his 40s. Big difference, when your body is not at that level anymore then being rusty.

Of course Warren hasn't "forgotten" how to play DT! :laugh:

And yes, I "re-learned" how to ski in the double-diamonds, but I'm not an elite athlete (never was)!

It's different when you're on top of your professional sport. To give you an example. Lindsey Vonn.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/mp/guvIeozjlCGl.jpg
If you didn't know, in addition to her Olympic Gold medal, she's clearly going to be the greatest women's Alpine Ski Champion in history, winning 4 overall World Cup (season) titles and 53 total races and 97 medal (top 3) finishes. Still only 27, at the rate she's going she's going to break Annemarie Moser Proell's all-time record for World Cup victories (64) which was thought un-reachable.

It's like Hank Aaron approaching Babe Ruth's 714 HR record. It's that big of an accomplishment in skiing.

She just set the all-time record for the most World Cup points for a woman in a single season, but, could she sit out the next 2 seasons and come back and dominate the World Cup they way she does now?

No way. It's not just age, it's hard to re-gain your status as the most dominating athlete. Micheal Jordan at 40 is still better than most of the players in the NBA, but he couldn't make up for the time lost. He was worse than he'd have been if he'd stayed in the league.

It wasn't that he was "soft" or "out of shape" it's that competitive edge that's so hard to maintain and so easy to lose once you're out of a sport.

We'll see how Warren does. I think he'll be an adequate DT. But to expect him to come back and be again one of the top DTs in the NFL is rather unlikely. And no, he's not "out of shape" but sitting in on film study is not the same thing as being on the field.

Jsteve01
06-07-2012, 04:03 PM
I agree with you Cugel. I don't think we can ever expect dominance out of him again. I remember hearing the same stuff about Jamal Williams 2 years ago. How'd that pan out. I do think he'll be hungry and be a valuable rotational player who will have his flashes. Just not the consistently dominant player of the Pats days.

NightTerror218
06-07-2012, 06:47 PM
I think as long as Warren is still in great shape and his body doesnt need to get use to this type of work he could return to his prior form. But if his body is unable to return for 100% then I agree. As for Lindsey Vonn, if she took 2 years off and stayed in same shape and her muscles were use to same discipline she could do it at her age. But if her body is not use to it, then no way.

rationalfan
06-08-2012, 11:51 PM
My opinion: if Ty warren came from any other team but NE there wouldn't be as much rush to judgement from some fans.

Also, if he plays well - at a starter level - his signing will be a success. The broncos didn't give him all pro money. They gave good player money.

TXBRONC
06-09-2012, 10:15 AM
My opinion: if Ty warren came from any other team but NE there wouldn't be as much rush to judgement from some fans.

Also, if he plays well - at a starter level - his signing will be a success. The broncos didn't give him all pro money. They gave good player money.

I honestly don't think so. Whether they gave him all pro money or not isn't the issue. He was suppose play last year so whatever salary he got was for nothing.

BroncoWave
06-09-2012, 12:40 PM

Agreed fully. People have this mistaken view that Bill Bellichick is some sort of talent expert and any player he gets rid of is clearly worthless. I don't see how you can look at the talent on that roster past Brady (ESPECIALLY on the defensive side of the ball) and come to that conclusion still.

Cugel
06-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Matt Light, Logan Makins, Gronkowski, Hernandez, and Welker. He's some talent around him but take a great quarterback out the line up it can kill a good team.

Without Brady that NE team is the Chiefs!

The Chiefs have a bunch of talented players on both offense and defense. They have maybe the best RB in the NFL in Jamaal Charles for instance. They have a number of high draft picks on their DL (not that they've been all-pros).

They are a solid team, but lacking a decent QB has made them watch the playoffs on TV for years and probably will again. And if they somehow sneak into the playoffs, nobody in their right mind thinks they'll do anything once there.

Not when they've got Matt Cassel, and the other team has Manning, Brady, or Roethlisberger, etc.