PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos Notes,

Lonestar
06-12-2009, 03:52 AM
Quotesby Sports Xchange

Updated: June 12, 2009, 2:20 AM EDT --Knowshon Moreno will make an impact for the Denver Broncos this season. The team didn't draft Moreno with the 12th overall pick to sit on the bench all season.

He hasn't been instantly installed as a starting tailback, however. LaMont Jordan and Correll Buckhalter are working ahead of him in offseason practices, but that doesn't bother Moreno.
"Not at all," Moreno said. "I'm just learning, they've been in the league eight or nine years. Coming behind them and learning from them and maybe one day making my way up there is awesome."

Moreno was drafted as an every-down prospect. His running ability is clear, and Broncos coach Josh McDaniels raved about the way he did little things in college like pick up blitzes and catch the ball.

That makes Moreno a candidate to play a lot as a rookie, but his role is still rather unclear. Jordan knows the offense well, having been with McDaniels in New England last year. Buckhalter is an effective veteran, and he also wasn't signed to sit the bench all year.

Moreno understands the Broncos have a lot of tailback depth, but he also feels like he has the talent to be a good NFL player.

"I'm definitely confident," Moreno said. "I think a lot of guys in the backfield in that room can get the job done, any snap, anyone in that room. I'm trying to find my place and keep on learning."

Even though McDaniels liked that Moreno is pretty polished for a rookie, he said he still has a lot of work to do.

"There's always room for improvement, especially with pass protection and catching the ball and routes and running and reading the defenses," Moreno said. "It's a lot to learn and it's a lot to work on so I'm going to work on all of those things."

--After the Broncos' mandatory minicamp on June 12-14, they have no other organized team activities until training camp. The Broncos' training camp, held at their team headquarters, will begin the last week of July.

--Broncos safety Vernon Fox played with cornerback Andre Goodman, who signed with Denver this offseason, years ago in Detroit. During offseason practices Fox said he noticed a completely different Goodman than he remembered, and even asked him what happened.

"He's nothing like the player he was in Detroit," Fox said.

Fox said Goodman told him he is confident and healthy, which has helped a lot. Fox said Goodman will be a key addition to the Broncos' secondary.

"You're not going to get an easy win on him," Fox said.

--Broncos safety Brian Dawkins missed a day of the team's passing camp because his family was moving into their new Denver house. Moving from Philadelphia after so many years with the Eagles wasn't easy, but he and his family are getting used to it.

"I've been told it takes a year or two to really, really, really settle in, as far as a family is concerned," Dawkins said. "But we're settling in as a family."

QUOTE TO NOTE: "I want to be here, but everything has to be the right situation, too." -- Broncos center Casey Wiegmann, who is frustrated he hasn't received a contract extension.

Lonestar
06-12-2009, 03:53 AM
by Sports Xchange

add this RSS blog email print
Updated: June 12, 2009, 2:20 AM EDT Casey Wiegmann still hasn't received the contract extension he asked for earlier this offseason.

The Broncos' Pro Bowl center is in the last year of his contract. He signed a two-year deal last year, and the final year is for $1.145 million. When Wiegmann signed the deal last year it was as a backup, but Tom Nalen suffered a knee injury and didn't play all last season. Wiegmann started every game, extending his consecutive starts streak to 127, tops among NFL centers. He made his first Pro Bowl.
He considered retirement but decided to play another season. He came to the offseason workouts and practices, hoping that the Broncos' brass would reward him with the extension he wants.

"I just know I've done my job here, I showed up the entire offseason program," Wiegmann said. "I missed one OTA (organized team activity) because we celebrated my dad's 60th birthday party. For a guy going into his 14th year, he shouldn't be doing all the stuff our weight coach is doing, and I've done everything. I'm just doing my part. Now I'm going to see what they're going to do."

Wiegmann admitted the contract talks were "not really going anywhere," which frustrated him.

"It's kind of frustrating, especially when they want reliability," Wiegmann said. "I'm probably one of the more reliable players. We'll see. They have another month and a half to get something done."

Wiegmann wouldn't specifically state he would stay away from training camp or retire if he didn't get an extension. But he said it was possible. He was asked if he would come to training camp without an extension.

"It would be tough. It would be really tough," Wiegmann said. "A lot of things you have to discuss with your family, and my wife. There's also stuff that weighs in the back of your mind and what's going on, and if you can leave healthy in this game, it's always a good thing."

One of the strengths of Denver's team coming into this season is the offensive line, which will have all five members back if Wiegmann plays. The Broncos' backup center is Kory Lichtensteiger, who didn't play a snap at center last year as a rookie.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said he wasn't going to worry yet about the possibility of Wiegmann not showing up to training camp.

"It is where it is," McDaniels said. "There's nothing much more to talk about. He is under contract, and if we can get something done we will."

anton...
06-12-2009, 04:02 AM
i wish we would give wiegmann a pay rise...

but i have a feeling that we wont...

he only wants to play for one more year, chances are, he wont catch on anywhere else if we dont pay him so his only other option is to retire...

he doesnt have much pull either as its his last year to make any money, and $1.145 mil is not a bad years salary to wind down your career...

i hope something works out, but you can tell his only chance of a pay rise is from good will rather than team need, and that is why he is turning up to everything in the offseason, because if he didnt, the team wouldnt even bother thinking about it...

ssgtwc
06-12-2009, 05:57 AM
Good Read!

I wish the season would start this Sunday:salute:

gobroncsnv
06-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Good Read!

I wish the season would start this Sunday:salute:

Sarge, I think WE'RE the ones who should be saluting you! Glad you're getting enough of a break to check out some feetsball... Stay safe over there, and thanks for your service.

I'd like to see Casey get a bit more... I would think we've got the cap room to double him up, but then, they may not do a thing about him until we see how much signing Moreno, Ayers, and Company cost us. Nevertheless, he deserves a raise in my book.

SoCalImport
06-12-2009, 07:00 AM
Goodman is a real curiosity. "Will he stay healthy?" seems to be the million (or is it 20 million) dollar question.
Staying healthy is so key to any chance of success in the NFL.
One reason that I don't mind all the young DBs drafted this year. We appear to be LOADED in the defensive backfield, but these guys aren't getting any younger.

Weigman? I'd love to see him sign a 2 year deal with clauses regarding % of snaps. That way if he's head and shoulders better that Lichtensteiger, we win. If he's not and loses his starting position to the kid, we win again.
Then he'd be the veteran backup he was signed to be in the first place.

ssgtwc
06-12-2009, 07:45 AM
Sarge, I think WE'RE the ones who should be saluting you! Glad you're getting enough of a break to check out some feetsball... Stay safe over there, and thanks for your service.

I'd like to see Casey get a bit more... I would think we've got the cap room to double him up, but then, they may not do a thing about him until we see how much signing Moreno, Ayers, and Company cost us. Nevertheless, he deserves a raise in my book.

Oops! I should have updated my location.

Thank you though, for your support! I truly appreciate it.:beer:

sneakers
06-12-2009, 08:31 AM
I have a bad feeling that torain and hillis are going to be pushed to the side.

Thnikkaman
06-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Torain? Probably. Hillis? Don't think so.

LRtagger
06-12-2009, 10:30 AM
What gives you that feeling about Hillis? I have heard McD rave about using him at TB, H-Back, WR, etc. I've seen a bunch of pics from camp with him running at TB behind Larsen (probably short yardage package) and have seen him at FB in front of Moreno. I think he will get used plenty and will end up being a huge safety valve for Orton.

Also, why would Torrain getting pushed to the side give you a bad feeling? Personally it gives me a good feeling knowing that we have guys that are better than him. He has good vision, but he runs too high and awkwardly which IMO is why he is often injured. He was just another example of Shanny trying to get the next TD. What would give me a bad feeling is if he was the #1 guy going into TC.

Moreno has been a long time coming for this team.

Dortoh
06-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Give Casey a new one year deal worth 2-3mil thus avoiding a hole at center this year and dead cap space next year.

I dont even want to think about Orton or Simms working from behind a new starting center

silkamilkamonico
06-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Forget Torain. Cut him now and be done with it. Hillis will force McDaniels to like him when he sees him in training camp and preseason games.

Lonestar
06-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Forget Torain. Cut him now and be done with it. Hillis will force McDaniels to like him when he sees him in training camp and preseason games.

going into TC you can never have to many RB's LB's and DB's.. as for torain If he can make the squad fine if not no biggie..

Superchop 7
06-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Maybe Wiegman should become a long snapper.

Josh pays great for those guys.