PDA

View Full Version : Broncos waive college free-agents

Lonestar
06-11-2009, 09:53 PM
T GORDON, LB KELLEY AND WR SHELTON

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos on Thursday waived tackle Marcus Gordon, linebacker Braxton Kelley and wide receiver Travis Shelton, it was announced. All three players were signed by the club as rookie college free agents.

Gordon (Kentucky State University) and Shelton (Temple University) signed with the Broncos on April 27 while Kelley (University of Kentucky) joined the club on April 28.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=338&storyID=9084

Elevation inc
06-12-2009, 01:55 AM
wow suprised about braxton kelly he has the same attitude as woodyard, i thought he would at least compete in TC, my guess is they are just running out of room at ILB spots....

Lonestar
06-12-2009, 03:15 AM
wow suprised about braxton kelly he has the same attitude as woodyard, i thought he would at least compete in TC, my guess is they are just running out of room at ILB spots....:salute:

and conisdering we have a half a gazillion LB's maybe they wanted to give him a chance to catch on somewhere else..

Elevation inc
06-12-2009, 08:09 AM
very ture, the shanny era would have cut him much later crimping his job hunting chances, at least the new era is giving him time to find another job.....

G_Money
06-12-2009, 09:09 AM
No, Shanahan kept those guys to have a surplus of bodies who might turn out to be useful, and that he could then trade for late-round picks as TC injuries hit other squads...or keep for his own as our guys went down.

But we have so many guys this year that reps are gonna be hard to come by. When you're running tryouts, and guys aren't getting it done or aren't catching on fast enough, you can only hold a spot for so long.

If you add a dozen more UDFAs than you usually do then that means you have a dozen more guys to cut. If they can't hack it early, they're the first ones to go.

~G

Lonestar
06-12-2009, 04:01 PM
No, Shanahan kept those guys to have a surplus of bodies who might turn out to be useful, and that he could then trade for late-round picks as TC injuries hit other squads...or keep for his own as our guys went down.

But we have so many guys this year that reps are gonna be hard to come by. When you're running tryouts, and guys aren't getting it done or aren't catching on fast enough, you can only hold a spot for so long.

If you add a dozen more UDFAs than you usually do then that means you have a dozen more guys to cut. If they can't hack it early, they're the first ones to go.

~G

I agree I think most folks were brought in because we at least wanted to see them in action..
Josh and Nolan both are looking for fast,smart and versatile folks I'm guessing like you they just did not catch on or was found lacking in some other area..

Afterall we had 43 new bodies this year to look at and way to many to coach UP, if they re not ready to do it.. let them go and allow them to catch on somewhere else if they can..

Superchop 7
06-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Must be pretty lousy if they can't make it here.

silkamilkamonico
06-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Must be pretty lousy if they can't make it here.

Yea, I'm sure that's probably why nobody drafted them.

Lonestar
06-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Yea, I'm sure that's probably why nobody drafted them.

but then of course so was Rod Smith.. how about TD in the sixth had we not taken him would he have been chosen. why Jerry Rice was a late draft choice there are lots of examples that could be used..

BroncoWave
06-13-2009, 02:33 PM
but then of course so was Rod Smith.. how about TD in the sixth had we not taken him would he have been chosen. why Jerry Rice was a late draft choice there are lots of examples that could be used..

And for every Rod Smith you have 100 guys that don't make it. So yeah, while you have your occasional diamond in the rough, 99% of the time if a guy goes undrafted he's probably not any good.

Lonestar
06-13-2009, 02:46 PM
And for every Rod Smith you have 100 guys that don't make it. So yeah, while you have your occasional diamond in the rough, 99% of the time if a guy goes undrafted he's probably not any good.

since they do not cost much and the draft is now just 7 players deep I think you can see that we have to replace more than 7 players each year.. and that is IF all 7 are worth keeping..

It would take you 7+ years to replace your team of 53 and we all know that alot of players never make it past the first contract because of various reasons injury being one of them..

trying to find Gems in the rubble is an absolute necessity.. even if it is 2-3 players a year that can fulfill PS to tackling dumb status.. some will actually become productive members of teams..

BroncoWave
06-13-2009, 03:16 PM
since they do not cost much and the draft is now just 7 players deep I think you can see that we have to replace more than 7 players each year.. and that is IF all 7 are worth keeping..

It would take you 7+ years to replace your team of 53 and we all know that alot of players never make it past the first contract because of various reasons injury being one of them..

trying to find Gems in the rubble is an absolute necessity.. even if it is 2-3 players a year that can fulfill PS to tackling dumb status.. some will actually become productive members of teams..

I agree that it's necessary to look for the gems in the rough among UDFA's. My point is just that most of the time when a player doesn't get drafted, that probably means he isn't any good.

Lonestar
06-13-2009, 03:22 PM
I agree that it's necessary to look for the gems in the rough among UDFA's. My point is just that most of the time when a player doesn't get drafted, that probably means he isn't any good.

lets agree to say he was not good enough to play in the NFL for most teams..
:salute:

Simple Jaded
06-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Say what you want about Mike Shanahan, but ruining the careers of undrafted free agents was not one of his many flaws, he was better at finding free agents than he was finding 1st round draft choices.

Btw, Jerry Rice was still the 16th pick in the draft, Jr, ......

Lonestar
06-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Say what you want about Mike Shanahan, but ruining the careers of undrafted free agents was not one of his many flaws, he was better at finding free agents than he was finding 1st round draft choices.......

well on that Captain Obvious we can agree on.. :salute:

Simple Jaded
06-13-2009, 04:17 PM
well on that Captain Obvious we can agree on.. :salute:

See? You're not always wrong! :beer:.......