PDA

View Full Version : Cecil's Take Week 3

iLands
06-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Wrapping it up at Dove Valley for voluntary OTAs....up next week, mandatory minicamp. The installation continues, talked to Manning after practice and he seems really pleased in the direction of the team and his progress as he rehabs from the four neck procedures. Here's my notes from today's practice:

WRs
Demaryius Thomas might as well be wearing this: http://www.dowdlespo...51654-100-3.jpg My God this dude is amazing. Over the shoulder catches no problem...Manning trusts him. Went downfield to him in double coverage, no worries. Thomas could be top 10 special because of his work in vertical windows, size, strength, and speed. Dude skies for catches, plucks the ball out of the air, strong hands, and #### you 'my ball' mentality, really taken it to another level so far this offseason.

Greg Orton was making some nice catches today, including one deep pass over the shoulder early in practice. he also had one high pass he snared in between two defenders. Osweiler was a little off on that throw. He's been a "square in" guy since his days at Purdue, but did a nice job of high pointing passes today.

Tyler Grisham made some plays of note. showed good hands on a couple of out routes.

Mark Dell made a couple of catches worth noting. showed good body control and sideline awareness getting two feet down near the sideline.

D'Andre Goodwin had nice stop/start ability in the open field. I liked his cuts in and out of his breaks.

Eric Decker was able to get separation against Rahim Moore but he rounded out his route and Moore was able to knock it away. Once more he was out of position vs Champ and Bailey picked off the Manning pass. ED did a nice job on short passes, showing good concentration and strong hands. Decker also had nice catch on low and outside pass away from the defender who was draped all over him. Again, lack of separation will mean Decker will have to make higher degree of difficulty catches. He can do it, but catch is not as clean, and run after catch is stunted. Had one deep target in the middle but jersey was held by Steven Johnson.

Jason Hill showed nice wheels down the sideline. Caught a short pass, made one juke, turned on the jets and away he went! Also ran a good drag route where he was running away from his defender.

Bubba Caldwell showed good speed. Caught a difficult pass that was low and away.

Eric Page is making a name for himself. Kid is electric in the open field and has nice setup moves vs defenders. Not only is he perhaps the best option as a KR/PR but he also showed fearlessness over the middle. Yes, I know..they can't hit but you still see plenty of players who "hear footsteps" on inside routes.

Brandon Stokley had the catch of the day. Deep pass from Manning he had to dive for. Caught the ball as it went right in between David Bruton's outstretched arms.

RBs
Mario Fannin was running with good burst again. Catching passes naturally is what he does. My latest blog post http://denverssports...com/cecillammey answers the question; "how good can Mario Fannin be?" Answer - very good change of pace runner and receiver out of the backfield, he's not cut out to be a feature back.

Willis McGahee was back on the practice field after missing last week due to an event he attended with his daughter. Thundering steps from McGahee as he was hard charging with the ball in his hands. This team will run more than people think. If he can hold off Hillman for the primary job then he could get 200-225 carries this year.

Ronnie Hillman is very elusive after the catch and does a good job of looking passes in. If this was a game of tag not many would be able to get him. Thurman Thomas hop cuts are the name of the game and man is he tough to get a hand on. Studesville coaching up Hillman again after most every play. Hillman showed off his elite athleticism on a play where he slipped on a hook route, immediately bounced up as he caught the pass and turned to run. Lots of players would have slipped and stayed down, or at least caught the pass from their knees.

Jeremiah Johnson was sick last week, but back on the field today. Looked good getting to the edge, simply greased lightning after the catch, I would like to see him get more of an opportunity but the RB corps is so cramped he may not be able to.

Knowshon Moreno still not cleared for team activities. Sprinted by himself again on the sidelines.

Lance Ball didn't impress as a runner today but did have some nice catches. Went low for a pass, gathered it in and was able to continue running.

QBs
Brock Osweiler showed good mechanics and footwork once again. not saying he's completely different but man has he put in some work. Arm strength is there, overthrew Grisham twice today. Needs to work on throwing with touch. EZ throws had too much zip on them. Corner throws are coming in like a laser...needs to put more air under them. Virgil Green had a tough time hauling in one of those passes.

Peyton Manning described today as a "shots day" because the team emphasized downfield passing today. Manning passed with flying colors in terms of arm strength. He even overthrew Demaryius Thomas on a 9 route. That should answer any questions about his arm strength. He actually overthrew DT twice but the second time there was interference by Champ...would have been huge 50+ yd TD. Manning completed a deep pass (25+ yards) to Stokley that went through David Bruton's outstretched arms as the veteran WR came down to the ground with it. Fantastic play that set them up near the GL in 2-minute drill. Throwing with touch is no problem for Peyton Manning. Nice job in red zone drills today. Broncos were running 7 defenders against 5 receivers (combination of WR, RB, TEs) and Manning was still finding the right receiver. Fits passes into tight spots no problem.

Adam Weber overthrew Mark Dell on a 8 route. He overthrew Dell again in red zone drills. Bad day for Weber today.

Caleb Hanie holds onto the ball too long. Had Virgil Green open over the middle, paused just a beat then when he went to throw the pass was knocked away by Joe Mays. Hanie had a hail Mary pass picked off by Mike Adams.

TEs
Joel Dreesen was a little hot and cold today. He'd make a nice catch in stride over the middle and then he would fail to flatten out a route and miss the catch. Failed to catch a deep pass from Manning in one on one coverage. showed good body control near the sidelines.

Jacob Tamme continued to show good chemistry. Looks in passes, good run after the catch ability, and gets to top speed in a hurry. Able to get 2 feet down at the back of the end zone with ease.

D
Wesley Woodyard did a nice job of staying with TEs stride for stride (no crossing routes thrown at him though).

Tracy Porter loves to gamble, but it was paying off in some batted passes today.

Mike Adams is always around the football, very high football intelligence.

Champ Bailey is awesome....that is all.

Hope you enjoy!

tomjonesrocks
06-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Anxious to see this team in action. Think the brutal schedule will rain on the parade some but this should be the most entertaining team to watch since 2008.

And good old Moreno--doing what he does best--nothing.

GEM
06-05-2012, 10:42 AM
I love me some Eric Decker....but he better get his head out of his girlfriends ass. :laugh:

CoachChaz
06-05-2012, 10:57 AM
I love me some Eric Decker....but he better get his head out of his girlfriends ass. :laugh:

Has nothing to do with that. I've said it a million times already...he needs to be in the slot. At this point, I think its obvious that getting separation is something he may never figure out. He'll be useless outside until he does. Put him in the slot.

underrated29
06-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Anxious to see this team in action. Think the brutal schedule will rain on the parade some but this should be the most entertaining team to watch since 2008.

And good old Moreno--doing what he does best--nothing.

Just curious as to what you expect or think knowshon should be doing?

Foochacho
06-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Just curious as to what you expect or think knowshon should be doing?

If I was him I would be getting "sauced".

GEM
06-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Has nothing to do with that. I've said it a million times already...he needs to be in the slot. At this point, I think its obvious that getting separation is something he may never figure out. He'll be useless outside until he does. Put him in the slot.

I was being more of a smart ass than serious. ;) :D

silkamilkamonico
06-05-2012, 11:59 AM

I agree.

I am actually a little surprised the current coaching regime has not figured this out yet and it's a little concerning. I am hopin it will only be a matter of time before Manning sees that, if he hasn't already.

Manning will have more pull than any other QB we've had as far as WR's I'm sure, so I'm curious who he will connect with to become the #2. I think it could be Caldwell or Willis. But I think there might be some issues if Decker is the #2 for the above reasons stated.

Davii
06-05-2012, 11:59 AM

I don't know if it's part of the problem or not, but I'll volunteer to take his place up her ass. Anything I can do to help the team.

CoachChaz
06-05-2012, 12:05 PM

I know. I wasnt really replying to your post quite as much as I was venting about Decker's inability to get open

MOtorboat
06-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Champ Bailey is awesome. At corner.

Timmy!
06-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Champ Bailey is awesome. At corner.
Just ThinK of wHat he could Do at safety!