PDA

View Full Version : Dawkins hopes for Super finish

Lonestar
06-11-2009, 03:29 AM
The veteran safety is emphasizing dedication this offseason as the new locker-room voice.
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 06/11/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Dawkins raising the bar for teammates. Safety Brian Dawkins didn't sign a free-agent deal with the Broncos to be merely a cheerleader or a mentor.

Dawkins, who is entering his 14th year in the NFL and first in Denver, said on Wednesday he still is hoping to win a championship.

"I would love to have a ring," Dawkins said. "I would love to finish it all with a ring."

It was hardly a prediction from Dawkins, though, about the Broncos' prospects in 2009. Still, it's a bold statement coming from the team's new locker-room leader.

Dawkins, 35, played on 10 teams that made the playoffs in his 13 seasons in Philadelphia. His Eagles teams made it to five NFC championship games and one Super Bowl, in 2004, though the Eagles lost that game to the New England Patriots.

That's a lot of postseason experience, something that only a handful of the Broncos holdovers from the Mike Shanahan era can claim. Only Champ Bailey, D.J. Williams, Ben Hamilton, Louis Green and Jeb Putzier were Broncos when the team last made the playoffs in 2005.

Dawkins said it is important, then, that his new teammates — especially the young ones — realize what they do in June is critical to making a playoff push come November or December.

"From this time of year, it's really honestly about dedication. Dedicating yourself to the potential of us doing what we need to do and to getting to the playoffs," Dawkins said. "What I mean by that dedication is your workouts need to be intense. You can't not work out for a period of time and think 'I'm going to be all right.' You can't think, 'I've got all the plays down' and not study them. And you have to take care of your body, and what that means is getting the proper sleep and eating the right things."

The Broncos will hold their final organized team activity Friday through Sunday — a full-team camp that is the only mandatory event of the offseason. The team expects full attendance.

After the camp, players will remain in Denver for more weight

and conditioning training before taking a month off before the start of training camp in late July.
"It's going to be important for every guy to take responsibility for his playbook and know that thing so that we can go out and play, when you're not thinking anymore," Dawkins said.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12565533?source=rss

Timmy!
06-11-2009, 06:05 AM
The veteran safety is emphasizing dedication this offseason as the new locker-room voice.
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 06/11/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Dawkins raising the bar for teammates. Safety Brian Dawkins didn't sign a free-agent deal with the Broncos to be merely a cheerleader or a mentor.

Dawkins, who is entering his 14th year in the NFL and first in Denver, said on Wednesday he still is hoping to win a championship.

"I would love to have a ring," Dawkins said. "I would love to finish it all with a ring."

It was hardly a prediction from Dawkins, though, about the Broncos' prospects in 2009. Still, it's a bold statement coming from the team's new locker-room leader.

Dawkins, 35, played on 10 teams that made the playoffs in his 13 seasons in Philadelphia. His Eagles teams made it to five NFC championship games and one Super Bowl, in 2004, though the Eagles lost that game to the New England Patriots.

That's a lot of postseason experience, something that only a handful of the Broncos holdovers from the Mike Shanahan era can claim. Only Champ Bailey, D.J. Williams, Ben Hamilton, Louis Green and Jeb Putzier were Broncos when the team last made the playoffs in 2005.

Dawkins said it is important, then, that his new teammates — especially the young ones — realize what they do in June is critical to making a playoff push come November or December.

"From this time of year, it's really honestly about dedication. Dedicating yourself to the potential of us doing what we need to do and to getting to the playoffs," Dawkins said. "What I mean by that dedication is your workouts need to be intense. You can't not work out for a period of time and think 'I'm going to be all right.' You can't think, 'I've got all the plays down' and not study them. And you have to take care of your body, and what that means is getting the proper sleep and eating the right things."

The Broncos will hold their final organized team activity Friday through Sunday — a full-team camp that is the only mandatory event of the offseason. The team expects full attendance.

After the camp, players will remain in Denver for more weight

and conditioning training before taking a month off before the start of training camp in late July.
"It's going to be important for every guy to take responsibility for his playbook and know that thing so that we can go out and play, when you're not thinking anymore," Dawkins said.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12565533?source=rss

He's a leader. Easily a hall of famer, and he's got some gas left. Let's put it this way. I loved Lynch. Loved it when we signed him. But, honestly, Dawkins>Lynch. Seriously. Not only will this guy bring leadership, but for a couple years (hopefully more than Lynch did, and that's not a knock against John) he'll be our starting safety. I'm on the record for 3 years (of pro bowl worthy) production. Sure Dawkins is getting old, but if anybody watched the week 17 (that's right, last game of the regular season, where a burned out player is out of gas) game last year Eagles vs Cowboys, you can't tell me Dawkins can't still bring it. Gigantic underrated signing, that has been lost in the McKid/Cutler crap storm. The first time this guy lays the wood to some poor WR going over the middle eyebrows will raise. Bank on it.