PDA

View Full Version : Broncos WR Marshall likely to be back for minicamp

Lonestar
06-11-2009, 03:26 AM
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 06/11/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

For all the offseason drama involving their top two offensive stars of the past two seasons, the Broncos have yet to encounter an official holdout.

There's been a trade. There's been a rehabilitation out of state with an underlying feel of an unofficial holdout.

But a holdout can't officially begin until Friday, when the Broncos hold their mandatory minicamp. There will not be a Jay Cutler watch. The once disgruntled quarterback has been traded to the Chicago Bears, where presumably he is no longer disgruntled.

That leaves receiver Brandon Marshall, who three weeks ago decided to shift his rehab program for a surgically repaired hip to Orlando, Fla.

Marshall is likely to return to the team's Dove Valley headquarters by Friday. In the final year of a four-year contract that will pay him $2.198 million this year, Marshall would be subject to a fine if he continued to stay in Orlando. The Broncos have been involved in organized team activities (OTAs) the past three weeks, but those were designated as voluntary.

Marshall would not have been practicing, anyway, because of his hip injury, but he is the only Broncos player who has not been present in the locker room the past three weeks.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12565530?source=rss

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds like all the other rehabbing folks have been around and probably setting in on meetings all but marshall..

WARHORSE
06-11-2009, 03:30 AM
Yup. I know for a fact Torain, although rehabbing, was at the facility and on the field rehabbing yet learning the offense as well.

Lets hope Brandon plays team ball. Either way, he will get paid eventually.

Lonestar
06-11-2009, 03:43 AM
Yup. I know for a fact Torain, although rehabbing, was at the facility and on the field rehabbing yet learning the offense as well.

Lets hope Brandon plays team ball. Either way, he will get paid eventually.

glad to get an independent confirmation on that because many said they were not and some implied it was forbidden to be at an OTA if you were rehabbing..

Of course alot of folks that think Marshall is the cats ass and can do no wrong may now have to eat some crow..

lets also hope he is a TEAM player.. so far this offseason he has been a ME type..

Elevation inc
06-11-2009, 04:22 AM
glad to get an independent confirmation on that because many said they were not and some implied it was forbidden to be at an OTA if you were rehabbing..

Of course alot of folks that think Marshall is the cats ass and can do no wrong may now have to eat some crow..

lets also hope he is a TEAM player.. so far this offseason he has been a ME type..

well i know i was objective, i stated no injured player was participating not that they werent in denver.

thanks for posting this this by the way, especially since its written by the same guy who tried to spin a controversey out of marshall going to orlando.

i mean so now all the sudden marshall is likely to report....WTF klis has no problems claiming marshall is likely to holdout out and now he is recanting...hilarious....

i knew brandon would play ball....i mean it aint rocket science if he holds out he loses money, so why fight for a new contract about money, when you just contradict yourself by holding out and losing money.

i think its obvious to all he wants more cash, and i think denver will pay when his leagl stuff dies down, but marshall will play this year fro us....its up to him to keep the proper mindset now and focus on winning games for this team next year, he does that and the rest will fall in place.

JR juts to clarify my original issue stemmed from people claming he was holding out when there was no proof, as you can see the original rumor starter is even recanting a bit, so thats why my point was to wait and see...others twisted my objective view about injured players a bit about not being in denver, but the end result is that he isnt holding out and will report....

obviously its not friday yet, but my guess is klis got word marshall is going to report and thats the reasoin for the recant. could be smoke and mirrors and marshall could suprise all, but my guess is friday marshall will be there like he planned all along:salute:

LordTrychon
06-11-2009, 04:56 AM
Funny how an article about how this isn't likely to be an issue, which I'm sure most of us consider a good thing, still gets bolded for the negative parts...

Timmy!
06-11-2009, 05:59 AM
Good lord. OK....sorry, if Marshall actually holds out, I'll gladly eat crow. But holy cow man. Members of the media, and JR, (yes, you! :D ) have a serious grudge against this guy. Sure, he has made mistakes, I think he'd admit it. Call it the spotlight, or whatever, but everything he does is being put under a huge microscope. As of RIGHT NOW, he hasn't done a damn thing wrong since McKid took over. If he hold outs, it's one thing, but cut the kid some slack. He's our best offensive weapon, and I hope he gets it all together and is a career Bronco. The people that want to feed him to the wolves make me want to puke.

broncohead
06-11-2009, 11:35 AM

I'm sure he would be there if he was paid for his production the last 2 years...

Northman
06-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Well, i guess the good news is we will find out tomorrow if he shows up or not.

underrated29
06-11-2009, 11:50 AM
ok so to recap. Marshall is in florida. And should be back tomorrow for mandatory mini camp.

Thats a-maz-za-zing!

In other news the rest of the broncos are not at dove valley either. They are at home, but should be back tomorrow for mandatory mini camp.

****Breaking news*****

Mrs. Lippys car is GREEN!!! And Josh Mcdanials likes soda.

Lonestar
06-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Well, i guess the good news is we will find out tomorrow if he shows up or not.

If he shows great, but that does not mean he is not going to holdout for a new contract either just means he is not yet ready to lose money by not being there.

We have training camp yet to make the statement if they are unable to get the contract.

Lets hope that all of this is hype by the news media. But I'll bet it is indeed nothing but a new contract this this year.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-11-2009, 01:49 PM
If he shows up, will you stop your incessant bitching and piss content on Marshall?

Lonestar
06-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Marshall likely to be back for minicamp by Mike Klis The Denver Post , The Denver Post

For all the offseason drama involving their top two offensive stars of the past two seasons, the Broncos have yet to encounter an official holdout.

There's been a trade. There's been a rehabilitation out of state with an underlying feel of an unofficial holdout.
But a holdout can't officially begin until Friday, when the Broncos hold their mandatory minicamp. There will not be a Jay Cutler watch. The once disgruntled quarterback has been traded to the Chicago Bears, where presumably he is no longer disgruntled.

That leaves receiver Brandon Marshall, who three weeks ago decided to shift his rehab program for a surgically repaired hip to Orlando, Fla.

Marshall is likely to return to the team's Dove Valley headquarters by Friday. In the final year of a four-year contract that will pay him $2.198 million this year, Marshall would be subject to a fine if he continued to stay in Orlando. The Broncos have been involved in organized team activities (OTAs) the past three weeks, but those were designated as voluntary.

Marshall would not have been practicing, anyway, because of his hip injury, but he is the only Broncos player who has not been present in the locker room the past three weeks.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9670542/Marshall-likely-to-be-back-for-minicamp-

Denver Native (Carol)
06-11-2009, 10:22 PM
I wonder if this is also part of the reason Brandon was gone, as the trial was suppose to be today????? He and his lawyers could have been preparing for the trial.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4238587

Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall's trial for two misdemeanor battery charges in Atlanta has been postponed until August, ESPN's John Barr reported.

Marshall was expected to go to court June 11 for two misdemeanor counts of battery, stemming from a March 2008 arrest involving his former girlfriend, Rasheeda Watley.

The outcome of the case could subject Marshall to punishment from the NFL even though it was part of what triggered his summons to commissioner Roger Goodell's office last summer, when Marshall was suspended for the season opener after a series of police-related incidents involving Watley.

"The discipline he received last year [one-game suspension without pay plus an additional fine of one game check] did not include the resolution of the March '08 incident, which is pending," league spokesman Greg Aiello told The AP.

"The pending case will be subject to review when appropriate. The notification he received from our office [Tuesday] applied only to the March 1 incident of this year," Aiello said.

In that case, Marshall and his new fiance, Michi Leshase Nogami-Campbell, got into a fight in Atlanta on March 1. Charges of disturbing the peace were dropped the next day when Marshall and Nogami-Campbell refused to testify against each other.

Denver coach Josh McDaniels demurred when asked what he thought of the potential punishment still hanging over Marshall's head forrepeated violations of the league's code of conduct.

"It's out of our control. That's something that's a league issue and whatever they come down with or whatever they decide, then we've got to deal with it and we'll do it at that time," McDaniels said. "But there's nothing we can worry about."

Marshall is rehabbing from March 31 hip surgery and hopes to be ready by training camp in late July. Marshall is due $2.2 million this season in the final year of a four-year contract he signed as a rookie. Although he's had back-to-back 100-catch seasons and made the Pro Bowl this year, there are questions about what kind of player he'll be coming off hip surgery.

Marshall caught 104 passes for 1,265 yards and six TDs last season. But he dropped 18 on-target passes, something he blamed on the nerve damage in his right arm, which he said he put through a television set while horsing around with his brother a year ago in the offseason.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

dogfish
06-11-2009, 11:46 PM
so wait. . . you're using an article about how he's not going to hold out to support your point that. . . he's holding out?

:confused:

JR, with that kind of spin at your command you should be in politics. . .

WARHORSE
06-12-2009, 12:16 AM
If he shows up, will you stop your incessant bitching and piss content on Marshall?

Wow. I havent heard incessant for awhile.

That was nice..............:D

Lonestar
06-12-2009, 03:19 AM
so wait. . . you're using an article about how he's not going to hold out to support your point that. . . he's holding out?

:confused:

JR, with that kind of spin at your command you should be in politics. . .

I think you have me confused with someone that gives a crap..

that was Carols article not mine..

anton...
06-12-2009, 03:31 AM
i like watching football...

training, not so much...

Lonestar
06-12-2009, 03:41 AM
i like watching football...

training, not so much...

its like foreplay, almost have to have it to make it pleasurable for all involved..:laugh::laugh:

anton...
06-12-2009, 03:43 AM
its like foreplay, almost have to have it to make it pleasurable for all involved..:laugh::laugh:

sex and football ---> :beer:

Lonestar
06-12-2009, 03:48 AM
sex and football ---> :beer:

only if the football is on the big screen and your with your honey..:salute:

Not like some that want to have sex with the football players..:tsk:

anton...
06-12-2009, 03:53 AM
Not like some that want to have sex with the football players..:tsk:

or the actual footballs...

http://phoenix.fanster.com/files/2009/04/football.jpg

:shocked:

Lonestar
06-12-2009, 03:58 AM
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 06/12/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Brandon Marshall is expected to show up today, but neither he nor his agent is directly confirming it.

Marshall, the Broncos' top receiver with 100-plus catches each of the past two seasons, has missed the past three weeks of the team's "voluntary" minicamps because of medical trust and contract issues.

If he doesn't show up for the start of a three-day minicamp today, the Broncos would have a problem, because participation is mandatory. Broncos coach Josh McDaniels has said he expects Marshall's return to the team today.

"We understand what is mandatory and what is voluntary," said Marshall's agent, Kennard McGuire. "There is no dispute in interpreting the two."

Marshall underwent hip surgery April 1 and had been rehabilitating at the team's Dove Valley facilities until May 20, when he met with McDaniels to communicate his desire for a new contract. He made a brief return to Denver two weeks ago, but only to deal with an ESPN report that rehashed his past legal trouble with his former girlfriend, Rasheedah Watley.

Marshall is in the final year of a rookie deal that will pay him $2.198 million this season. Perhaps his primary concern, though, is he might not be eligible for the potential riches of unrestricted free agency after this season if the league owners and players union don't negotiate a new collective bargaining agreement.

With owners opting out of the current CBA, fourth-year players such as Marshall would be limited to restricted free agency, where the pay scale can pale next to the potential of unrestricted free agency.

McGuire said two weeks ago, though, that Marshall's absence is more of a trust issue regarding the Broncos' medical team and the hip injury. In the most recent posting on his website, Marshall wrote: "It's kind of funny now, but some of my coaches thought I was getting 'big-headed' and just didn't want to practice, but I needed some fine-tuning.

"What made last year so weird was that I got two MRIs, one in (training) camp and the second around Week 6 and was told nothing was wrong, but come to find out THERE WAS A BIT OF A PROBLEM after all."

Footnote.

The Broncos waived tackle Marcus Gordon, linebacker Braxton Kelley and wide receiver Travis Shelton on Thursday. Each had been signed as rookie college free agents.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12573345?source=rss

CoachChaz
06-12-2009, 06:45 AM
"What made last year so weird was that I got two MRIs, one in (training) camp and the second around Week 6 and was told nothing was wrong, but come to find out THERE WAS A BIT OF A PROBLEM after all."

Regardless of the defensive woes, the rookie head coach or anything else people want to say negative about this team...

...as an athlete, I think the one things I'd have to look into the most before making a decision to play in Denver is the seemingly pathetic training staff.

NorthernLights
06-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Saw another thread already, so I will change this one. Sorry.

GEM
06-12-2009, 01:03 PM
I'm sure he would be there if he was paid for his production the last 2 years...

He played for nothing the last 2 years? :confused:

If I remember correctly, he was drafted in the 4th round....not exactly 1st round kind of money. You play the contract you signed. Not to say he hasn't earned it....what it does say is he didn't do enough in college to put him in the 1st round drawing that kind of money.

You don't just throw a guy that kind of money when he has suspensions sitting over his head, a court trial sitting in front of him, rehabbing a hip injury, not having feeling in his hand.

If he had been an angel and there weren't still injury concerns, I'd agree with you fully. But for the good of this organization (which is what matters to me) he has done himself no favors in bettering his cause.

G_Money
06-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Marshall is extremely underpaid for his production.

He's also got issues.

If he was a perfectly heathy pro-bowler with 100 catch seasons and strong as an ox, with no off-the-field issues? I'd be backing him on his potential holdout without question, because the CBA is screwing him over royally. Next year was supposed to be his UFA year, and instead he'll be a RFA and lose out on a big contract for 2 more seasons beyond this one. In the NFL you usually only get one big contract, and Brandon didn't get one right out of college, that's for sure. I'd be all for him trying to get it now, and would want to give it to him.

With his health and playing status up in the air? Can't do it, not for what he undoubtedly wants.

I can't pay him like he's Larry Fitzgerald, because Larry is healthy and not in danger of suspension for his next jaywalking offense.

Meanwhile, Marshall is burned that Gaffney is getting paid more than him as a 4th WR while Brandon goes out like a gamer and plays through an injury all year, STILL at a Pro Bowl level.

There has to be some middle ground between those two sides.

I'm glad Brandon's in town talking to Pat. I hope they come to some sort of resolution that gets Brandon to camp and can find some way to slide him some bucks over the next 2-3 years til he hits FA...without breaking the bank for a guy who a) may not be able to run any more and b) might miss half the season or more with another screwup.

If not...well, if not, and there is no common ground, this is gonna suck hard.

~G

Thnikkaman
06-12-2009, 01:44 PM
From the 4 letter

Marshall is making a mistake by skipping camp

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-2323/Marshall-is-making-a-mistake-by-skipping-camp.html

June 12, 2009 2:30 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

Last week, Brandon Marshall guaranteed that his days of getting in trouble are behind him.

AP Photo/Jack D
Brandon Marshall could be fined by the Broncos for skipping the first day of their mandatory minicamp.

Yet, Denver's Pro Bowl receiver made a big mistake on Friday.

According to the Denver Post, Marshall skipped the first day of the team' mandatory three-day minicamp. Marshall's move is symbolic. He can't practice because he had hip surgery in March. He should be ready to practice by the time training camp begins in late July.

Still, Marshall is required to be at this minicamp. He stayed away from the team's voluntary activities for the past three weeks. The Post reports that Marshall has "cited a lack of confidence in the Broncos medical team" and wants a pay raise. He could be fined by the team for missing the minicamp.

This move isn't the way to clear up his problems. Whether or not Marshall feels good about the medical attention he gets from the team, really, is moot. It's just something he has to live with. His desire for a new contract is understood. The fourth-round pick in 2006 is underpaid. But he needs to have patience. Marshall is a free agent in 2010 and he will get a significant raise then.

Marshall is a fantastic player. He has surpassed the 100-catch plateau in the past two seasons. His play is worthy of a huge contract.

Let's face it, though -- Marshall is too big of a risk for Denver to give him a big, long-term contract at this time. He has had his share of legal issues and will likely face an NFL suspension if he has any more. He has also been hurt often in his short NFL career.

Marshall is going to have to show he can stay out of trouble and stay healthy before getting a big contract. A likely scenario is that Denver puts the franchise tag on him next year, which would make him a very rich man.

Skipping this camp is not a good way for Marshall to ingratiate himself with Denver's new brass. Coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders aren't going to go out of their way to accommodate a player who is causing a stink in June.

Marshall should look at teammate Casey Wiegmann and Kansas City guard Brian Waters for guidance. Wiegmann wants a new deal and Waters wants to be traded. But they both showed up for their respective mandatory camps.

It's the right thing to do. For a player who guaranteed he was going to do all the right things, Marshall is making a mistake

G_Money
06-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Marshall is going to have to show he can stay out of trouble and stay healthy before getting a big contract. A likely scenario is that Denver puts the franchise tag on him next year, which would make him a very rich man.

Untrue. He's thinking Marshall is still an unrestricted FA next year, and he isn't. The Broncos don't have to franchise him at all, they can just pay him the 2.5 mil RFA tag. He won't be a UFA til after year SIX now instead of year four.

That's part of the problem. He doesn't wanna make 2, 2.5 mil a year the next three years with no chance of improvement, even though guys with his stats are making a killing on the open market...that he's locked out of through no fault of his own. This would have been the last year of his rookie deal that was paying him NFL chump change. Now he's got 2 more years of mediocrity tagged on to the end. Telling him he'll get paid in 2012 isn't gonna cut it.

Paying him 8 figures a year between now and then with a buncha guaranteed signing change won't cut it either. But I can see why Marshall would want more than what he's currently slated to get.

~G

Dortoh
06-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Personally I've taken this approach for the rest of the offseason. Seriously has there ever been a stranger offseason???

http://newworldodor.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/see-no-evil-hear-no-evil-speak-no-evil.jpg