PDA

View Full Version : One Step Closer

Lonestar
06-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Brian Dawkins spoke to the media after practice Wednesday afternoon at

By Zach Eisendrath
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- It may only be June, but there is a sense of enthusiasm making its way around Dove Valley these days.

Brian Dawkinss can feel it. At his first edition of Fan Fair on Saturday, he was humbled by the turnout of fans who were excited to meet him at INVESCO Field at Mile High. During the team's 11-day passing camp, which came to a close Wednesday, Dawkins said he could feel similar exhilaration among his peers.

"Obviously there is an excitement here," he said. "We're battling against the offense; we're battling against one another to see who can make the most plays on defense. It's a fun atmosphere."

With the close of passing camp, the players have a day off before beginning a mandatory three-day mini-camp on Friday, the team's final OTA before essentially a month-long layoff.

After that? Training camp and then the 2009 campaign. Dawkins, like many of his teammates, is especially looking forward to the latter.

"I know I'm looking for camp to be over with so I can play the season," he said. "I don't know about looking for camp to get here, but I think it's important. I know it's a cliché, but you really have to take it one day at a time because there are situations and circumstances every day at practice that we make mistakes on and need to correct."

According to Dawkins, correcting mistakes starts with personal accountability. Every player needs to study the playbook and dedicate themselves to making the 2009 Broncos a playoff team.

"What I mean by dedication is your workouts have to be intense," he said. "You can't not work out for a period of time and think 'I'm just going to be alright.' You can't just think 'I have all the plays down' and not study them. And you have to take care of your body. What that means is getting your proper sleep and eating the right things."

So far things have lived up to Dawkins' standards. He said he believes organized team activities have been bringing out the best in everybody, which is a good sign. It is his belief that OTAs are building blocks towards establishing confidence as a unit heading toward training camp.

With one final mini-camp standing between the team and training camp, the club has an opportunity to get more comfortable in Head Coach Josh McDaniels' system.

"We have some very talented guys out there on the field," Richard Quinn said. "Guys out there running around; flying around making plays. It's exciting to watch. We're getting better every day. The offense is making the defense better, the defense is making the offense better."

With the amount of passion being displayed on a daily basis during passing camp, one can imagine the intensity picking up even further when pads and helmets enter the equation come late July.

By that time, the Broncos will hopefully have the mental part of the game down and be able to focus more on the physical aspects.

"We're still thinking a little bit now," Dawkins said. "But once you stop thinking, you can play football."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9083

gobroncsnv
06-10-2009, 09:16 PM
"We're still thinking a little bit now," Dawkins said. "But once you stop thinking, you can play football."

I know what he means on this, to let the game be just a natural and instinctive flow instead of being paralyzed by analysis... but his statement DOES give you pause, just at face value. Sounded kinda funny at first read.

Shazam!
06-10-2009, 09:19 PM
I love that Denver got Dawkins. This team missed Lynch terribly not just on the Field but his example and leadership. He was a great pick up and I'm excited to see him in their new defense.

The Glue Factory
06-10-2009, 09:38 PM
I love that Denver got Dawkins. This team missed Lynch terribly not just on the Field but his example and leadership. He was a great pick up and I'm excited to see him in their new defense.

Now all we need do is draft Dawkins Jr.

Grover
06-10-2009, 10:49 PM
I know what he means on this, to let the game be just a natural and instinctive flow instead of being paralyzed by analysis... but his statement DOES give you pause, just at face value. Sounded kinda funny at first read.

Hmmmmmmmm, kinda funny enough to make a sig out of it? (Yeah, I KNOW what he meant, but it's still funny)

|
|
|
V

Northman
06-10-2009, 11:05 PM
I just hope that Dawkins doesnt get used like a dirty tampon. Because without a real Dline and real pass rush it might be more of the same. Lets hope that McD knows what he is dong.

Shazam!
06-11-2009, 12:43 AM
I just hope that Dawkins doesnt get used like a dirty tampon.

Interesting choice of an example...

Because without a real Dline and real pass rush it might be more of the same. Lets hope that McD knows what he is dong.

They need to blitz and a lot. None of that smoke and mirrors or read and react crap anymore. If your DLine can't generate pressure they need help to get it. I have confidence in Nolan. He's accomplished and I think he'll produce a different unit with a better attitude. I hope they're able to get those difficult stops this year at 2nd and 22, you know? Even if they can be marginally improved it could save them some games.

Lonestar
06-11-2009, 01:08 AM

:salute:

lets hope he can train one of the rookies to be a leader and as intense as he is..

Lonestar
06-11-2009, 01:15 AM
Interesting choice of an example...

They need to blitz and a lot. None of that smoke and mirrors or read and react crap anymore. If your DLine can't generate pressure they need help to get it. I have confidence in Nolan. He's accomplished and I think he'll produce a different unit with a better attitude. I hope they're able to get those difficult stops this year at 2nd and 22, you know? Even if they can be marginally improved it could save them some games.

I think with the 3-4 where as many as 3 or as many as 7 could be coming will cause some confusion at the LOS..

in the past we almost always had 4 rushing the passer and not very effectively because it was not disguised very well.. same four every time with one of them being a very light in the pants DE..

now they will not know for sure who is coming if anyone..

I remember hearing in movie way back a comment that is appropriate for this spot .. "In confusion, there is profit" anyone know which movie?

gobroncsnv
06-11-2009, 07:06 AM
I'm not sure which movie that's from, but it sounds a lot like the same sentiment as "you can't let a good crisis go to waste."

But, back to football, I used to absolutely cringe when we'd have one of our DT's drop into pass coverage, because that would mean even LESS pressure than we would normally be generating (un-measurable), and ergo, even less effective. I think the 3-4 brings a better use of this little trick, just because you have different type players up front, and least once you get who you need there... but yeah, we've seen that it doesn't matter WHO we have in the backfield if there's no pass rush.
Nevertheless, really glad to see someone like Dawkins back there. The M&M's proved to be fairly useless. It's gonna be easy to be a fan of a guy like Dawk, and I think he'll help knit things together. Our defense can't help but improve, just based on how completely crappy they were last year. If they somehow get worse, then it could be said this was the year there were only 31 NFL teams.