PDA

View Full Version : SHHHHH.........Jabar Gaffney!

WARHORSE
06-10-2009, 04:31 PM
From NFL.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Jabar Gaffney (http://www.nfl.com/players/jabargaffney/profile?id=GAF203145) sprinted off the line of scrimmage and cut to the corner of the end zone. As he headed to the sideline, the Denver Broncos (http://www.nfl.com/teams/denverbroncos/profile?team=DEN)' wide receiver looked over his left shoulder and gathered in a pass as he kept his feet in play.
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/J_McDaniels_090608_IA.jpgEd Andrieski / Associated PressNew Broncos coach Josh McDaniels (above) has a comfort level with WR Jabar Gaffney, who played three seasons for him with the Patriots.

It was only one play among many during Monday's minicamp practice, but it was a familiar sight for new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels. For the past three seasons, McDaniels, then the offensive coordinator in New England, saw Gaffney catch 85 passes, eight for touchdowns, with the Patriots.

With a new team and plenty of new faces, McDaniels knows having Gaffney in the fold is an asset.

"Jabar can play really anywhere," McDaniels said. "It's a tribute to him because, one, he's worked his butt off to get to that point where he knows everything."

McDaniels and Gaffney had plenty of success with New England, including an undefeated regular season in 2007 and a trip to Super Bowl XLII.

They're trying to build that kind of successful program in Denver, but first they must get familiar with new personnel and a different system.

Gaffney is confident that McDaniels will put everyone on the same page.
"It's a whole new look, whole new team," Gaffney said. "He's constantly changing things up.

He's a great mind, and we have some of the stuff we did last year, but people know that, so he has to add to the offense. That's keeping us all on our toes."

Having played for McDaniels is a plus for Gaffney as he grows comfortable in Denver.

"It helps a lot," Gaffney said. "I've been with him for the past three seasons, so I know what's expected from the receivers and all the players in general."

Nobody jumped through the roof when we signed Gaffney. Broncos fans yawned after a couple of claps.
But Gaffney caught 26 passes for 351 yards at 13.5 yards per clip, with a single score in his last 6 games he played for the Pats.
This was behind Welker and Moss.

In those same games Welker caught 47 passes for 567 yards and 2 TDs at 12 yards per catch.

Moss on the other hand caught 25 passes for 392 yards with 5 TDs at 15.7 yards per catch.

Welker undoubtedly was a huge target and comfort blanket for Cassell. So his inflated numbers arent askew. And Brady leaned on him almost as much.

In his last 5 games that Gaffney ran with Brady, he scored 4 TDs.

Gaffney is the most comfortable in this offense without a doubt when it comes to receivers. Not only may he be a very pleasant surprise for us..........is it possible he starts over Brandon, Eddie or Stokes early on due to his knowledge of the offense?

No matter if it plays out like that........I think we have an 8 year vet who is going to be a fourth player for us at WR.

BRONCOS BABY.

SoCalBronco
06-10-2009, 05:25 PM
I for one will be very disappointed to see Gaffney "starting" over our two stars and the slot machine. Not cool with that.
It means that our FAR more talented triumvirate of receivers will be put behind a system wideOut...really??!!
C'mon Mc'D. You need to get these guys up to speed, cuz if Gaffney "gets starts" in the regular season, when we all know that He's at BEST the fourth most talented player we have at the position (fifth if you include Scheff). We'll then you're failing as a coach.

silkamilkamonico
06-10-2009, 05:29 PM
I for one will be very disappointed to see Gaffney "starting" over our two stars and the slot machine. Not cool with that.
It means that our FAR more talented triumvirate of receivers will be put behind a system wideOut...really??!!
C'mon Mc'D. You need to get these guys up to speed, cuz if Gaffney "gets starts" in the regular season, when we all know that He's at BEST the fourth most talented player we have at the position (fifth if you include Scheff). We'll then you're failing as a coach.

While we're on the Madden kick, we need to release Elvis Dumervil. The guy comes out to a low 70's when I try and switch him into a LB, and he's certainly not big enough to play the DE position. Not releasing him would be ultimate failure by the coach as well.

Chris90210
06-10-2009, 05:37 PM
While we're on the Madden kick, we need to release Elvis Dumervil. The guy comes out to a low 70's when I try and switch him into a LB, and he's certainly not big enough to play the DE position. Not releasing him would be ultimate failure by the coach as well.

yep and imagine if we traded our star quarterback that would be pretty ultimate fail too

Chris90210
06-10-2009, 05:38 PM
o wait..............

BroncoWave
06-10-2009, 05:41 PM

Stokley is getting up there in age, so is it really inconceivable that Gaffney could outperform him in camp? Gaffney isn't chopped liver, he played some decent football in New England. I realize you like Stokley because he's "our guy" and has been solid for the Broncos but at this point, neither you nor I know which of the two will have a better camp, but if it is Gaffney who comes out of camp doing better than Stokley in the slot, I think McD would be irresponsible not to give him that spot.

BroncoWave
06-10-2009, 05:43 PM
yep and imagine if we traded our star quarterback that would be pretty ultimate fail too

o wait..............

Wow, haven't heard that one yet. What a clever poster you are. How did we ever get by on this board for 2 years without that kind of wit and stellar insight?

hotcarl
06-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Wow, haven't heard that one yet. What a clever poster you are. How did we ever get by on this board for 2 years without that kind of wit and stellar insight?

whats up, dick?

Lonestar
06-10-2009, 06:22 PM
if you listen to Josh in the video section at broncos dot com.. you will here him praise Stokely as one of the best ever slot players that he has been a real pain in the ass for him as an opposing coach..

he also comment about gaffney knowing the scheme inside and out "many times last year if someone lined up wrong Gaffney line up in his slot and knew the routes"..

he can play all the different positions and he looks forward to him helping the TEAM..

so IF he starts or plays for someone else it is because he knows what he is doing and not thinking about it causing the reaction time to be off..

Lets hope that marshall can come in when he is physically ready and get the number of rep he needs for things to be automatic if not others that are ready to go will see alot more playing time..

BroncoWave
06-10-2009, 06:22 PM
whats up, dick?

:hi: Hi, hotcarl!

JONtheBRONCO
06-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Gaffney is a good third receiver but we already have a couple of those.

JKcatch724
06-10-2009, 07:45 PM
If he's outplaying people, he should get more playing time. Simple.

SoCalBronco
06-10-2009, 07:51 PM
It is that simple. If he's earning it in practice, then by gum, he should get the start.

AND..., it's disappointing to think that Gaffney is outplaying our guys.

That's my stance. Simple.

SoCalBronco
06-10-2009, 07:53 PM

Guess I was exposed as posting only half my thoughts on the issue.

Consider me duly chastised.

JKcatch724
06-10-2009, 09:16 PM
It is that simple. If he's earning it in practice, then by gum, he should get the start.

AND..., it's disappointing to think that Gaffney is outplaying our guys.

That's my stance. Simple.

I think he has a good chance of being the #3 receiver. You gotta remember, Gaffney held his own in New England...

silkamilkamonico
06-10-2009, 10:36 PM

You mean the "star" Qb that has a career losing record, including college?

Some "winner"....

Lonestar
06-11-2009, 01:18 AM
You mean the "star" QB that has a career losing record, including college?

Some "whiner"....

edited for accuracy..

weazel
06-11-2009, 12:39 PM
From NFL.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Jabar Gaffney (http://www.nfl.com/players/jabargaffney/profile?id=GAF203145) sprinted off the line of scrimmage and cut to the corner of the end zone. As he headed to the sideline, the Denver Broncos (http://www.nfl.com/teams/denverbroncos/profile?team=DEN)' wide receiver looked over his left shoulder and gathered in a pass as he kept his feet in play.
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/J_McDaniels_090608_IA.jpgEd Andrieski / Associated PressNew Broncos coach Josh McDaniels (above) has a comfort level with WR Jabar Gaffney, who played three seasons for him with the Patriots.

It was only one play among many during Monday's minicamp practice, but it was a familiar sight for new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels. For the past three seasons, McDaniels, then the offensive coordinator in New England, saw Gaffney catch 85 passes, eight for touchdowns, with the Patriots.

With a new team and plenty of new faces, McDaniels knows having Gaffney in the fold is an asset.

"Jabar can play really anywhere," McDaniels said. "It's a tribute to him because, one, he's worked his butt off to get to that point where he knows everything."

McDaniels and Gaffney had plenty of success with New England, including an undefeated regular season in 2007 and a trip to Super Bowl XLII.

They're trying to build that kind of successful program in Denver, but first they must get familiar with new personnel and a different system.

Gaffney is confident that McDaniels will put everyone on the same page.
"It's a whole new look, whole new team," Gaffney said. "He's constantly changing things up.

He's a great mind, and we have some of the stuff we did last year, but people know that, so he has to add to the offense. That's keeping us all on our toes."

Having played for McDaniels is a plus for Gaffney as he grows comfortable in Denver.

"It helps a lot," Gaffney said. "I've been with him for the past three seasons, so I know what's expected from the receivers and all the players in general."

Nobody jumped through the roof when we signed Gaffney. Broncos fans yawned after a couple of claps.
But Gaffney caught 26 passes for 351 yards at 13.5 yards per clip, with a single score in his last 6 games he played for the Pats.
This was behind Welker and Moss.

In those same games Welker caught 47 passes for 567 yards and 2 TDs at 12 yards per catch.

Moss on the other hand caught 25 passes for 392 yards with 5 TDs at 15.7 yards per catch.

Welker undoubtedly was a huge target and comfort blanket for Cassell. So his inflated numbers arent askew. And Brady leaned on him almost as much.

In his last 5 games that Gaffney ran with Brady, he scored 4 TDs.

Gaffney is the most comfortable in this offense without a doubt when it comes to receivers. Not only may he be a very pleasant surprise for us..........is it possible he starts over Brandon, Eddie or Stokes early on due to his knowledge of the offense?

No matter if it plays out like that........I think we have an 8 year vet who is going to be a fourth player for us at WR.

BRONCOS BABY.

I guess we can let Marshall, Stokely and Royal walk!

LRtagger
06-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Well considering we will have a ton of 4-WR sets, I'm not too worried about who is starting. All 4 guys will see plenty of playing time. As long as our QB throws it to the guy that's open instead of throwing it to Brandon 70% of the time (even when he is blanketed) then I'll be happy.

Between all four of those guys, at least one of them should be able to get open on every play.

BigSarge87
06-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Well considering we will have a ton of 4-WR sets, I'm not too worried about who is starting. All 4 guys will see plenty of playing time. As long as our QB throws it to the guy that's open instead of throwing it to Brandon 70% of the time (even when he is blanketed) then I'll be happy.

Between all four of those guys, at least one of them should be able to get open on every play.

That post makes more sense than anything I've read on this forum for weeks.

powderaddict
06-11-2009, 01:07 PM
If he's playing better than other WR's on the roster, then he should start.

Of course, this is OTA and not even training camp, so depth charts haven't even been finalized (won't happen until AFTER training camp AND pre-season).

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone has anything to bitch about during OTA's :rolleyes:

Let's see how they perform in training camp and in pre-season before we bitch about potential depth chart seedings mmmmmmkay?

BroncoWave
06-11-2009, 01:37 PM
I guess we can let Marshall, Stokely and Royal walk!

I don't understand this post. Are we not allowed to praise players other than the stars?

WARHORSE
06-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Gaffney is a good all around addition to the lockeroom and the roster.

Hes not going to burn up the field, but hes going to contribute well and thats what we need. If we sign em and they contribute to winning, Im good.

Hes going to make plays..........thats one more thing the defense needs to think about while playing.

Lonestar
06-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Gaffney is a good all around addition to the lockeroom and the roster.

Hes not going to burn up the field, but hes going to contribute well and thats what we need. If we sign em and they contribute to winning, Im good.

Hes going to make plays..........thats one more thing the defense needs to think about while playing.

a good character guy that already knows the playbook and what is expected and can be a leader on the practice field as most folks are just trying to figure out the coach..

He is what most bakers would call the starter mix * for sourdough bread.. you take a bit of the original mix and add it to the flour your making and the entire bread turns in to sourdough bread..

*Some starter mixes like that go back centuries and they always save some of it in a sealed jar and use just a portion.. Like a farmer never eating the seed corn..

now I know that some of that will be way over some Y'alls head, so no need to comment if you do not get it..

LRtagger
06-12-2009, 10:45 AM
I don't understand this post. Are we not allowed to praise players other than the stars?

Funny, I doubt NE fans were complaining when he was bailing out Cassell and catching TD passes. Yet here we are complaining about having another WR on the roster that can compete for catches. :tsk:

weazel
06-12-2009, 01:29 PM

when did I say that? it was a joke, dont get your panties in a bunch