PDA

View Full Version : David Bruton: Adjustin' to the NFL

Requiem / The Dagda
06-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Bruton was one of my favorite players in all the draft, and perhaps my most favorite selection for the Broncos besides Knowshon and Smith. Love his attitude, and hopefully he'll be able to help out our woeful special teams. Go DB! (http://www.blueandgold.com/content/?aid=7124)

Italianmobstr7
06-09-2009, 06:14 PM
June 5, 2009
Bruton Adjusting To NFL Life
by JOHN HAYNSWORTH
Web Editor
Print Version | Discuss this article |Digg This Story
It is kind of like starting all over again for David Bruton as he acclimated himself to life in the NFL.

After serving as one of the more experienced members of the Irish defense over the past two seasons with the younger players looking to him for leadership, the roles have been reversed, and he’s now the one seeking out the veterans for guidance.

“Brian Dawkins,” Bruton responded when asked which of his new Denver Broncos teammates he’s leaned on for support as an up and coming defensive back. “Basically, I’m just trying to learn under all of the veteran guys, and take the lessons that they tell me and put them to practice on the field.

Also helping Bruton along the way has been a familiar face from his days with the Irish program as he’s renewed his friendship with offensive tackle Ryan Harris, who will be entering his third season in 2009.

“That was my big brother at Notre Dame as a freshman and sophomore. I always used to try to hang out with him, try to be around him. He’s just an overall good guy, just a great person in general, just a great football player.

“It’s been a fun experience, getting a chance to know all of the guys and learn how to play professional football, walk around like a professional.”

Bruton has looked the part of an NFL professional since his junior season when he recorded 85 tackles, third best on the team, with three interceptions, two passes broken up, a forced fumble and a recovery. That effort earned attention from the NFL scouts during Notre Dame’s practices last spring and fall, and he followed that up last season by increasing his tackles total to 97, second only to fellow safety Kyle McCarthy, with four interceptions, six passes broken up, two forced fumbles and two recoveries.

However, much like his freshman and sophomore seasons, as well as his junior and senior season quite frankly, Bruton figures to make his most immediate impact on special teams as a rookie with Denver.

“I think special teams plays a major part in where I was drafted as well as a major part in any football game,” he acknowledged. “I’ve played special teams throughout high school, even when I was a starter in high school, even as a starter at Notre Dame. So I’ve always taken special teams very seriously. It’s a way to get on the field and get my feet wet, and get some experience.”

Bruton was a standout as a gunner for the Irish, especially on the punt coverage team, and he looks forward to locking down that role with the Broncos during the preseason workouts.

“That’s probably my favorite position on special teams,” he said. “Just being a big guy and people not thinking you can run that fast, you basically get a free shot at the returner. That’s the fun part, just knowing that you have a chance to knock the returner out or cause a big turnover, a big play in the game.”

While Bruton hopes to take advantage of every opportunity for playing time that comes his way as a rookie, he ultimately looks forward to playing in the defensive backfield. He started at free safety at Notre Dame in each of the past two seasons, but as the consummate team player, he’ll play wherever the coaches ask him to play with the Broncos.

“I see myself as a safety,” he said when asked if he had a preference – free safety or strong safety. “Wherever they put me is what I’m going to have to learn to play. I’ll play strong willingly. I’ll play free willingly. I have no problem doing either.”

If Bruton can maintain that humble attitude throughout his professional career, he’ll have no problems, period.

Lonestar
06-09-2009, 06:22 PM
looks like we have alot of talent at the safety spot some really great vets who can teach the kiddies that are on the team..

It is nice to have an overabundance unlike last year when we had none until they started the rookies.. who were not ready to go at all. but then it may have been the scheme or that slowitt was not a good DB coach afterall..:mad:

what the hell was mikey thinking..

Buff
12-22-2010, 02:26 AM
Sorry for the bump but I didn't really want to start a new thread on David Bruton...

Just wanted to bring up his epic missed tackle against FULLBACK Marcel Reece on Sunday. Holy crap, I don't think I've ever seen one play that made me sour on a guy's potential more than that... Once a promising ST player who I hoped would make it as a safety, now reduced to Marlon McCree and Calvin Lowry status. Where is Hamzah Abdullah when you need him?

dogfish
12-22-2010, 02:56 AM
it really was one of he most egregious fubars of a "tackle attempt" i've ever seen. . . he basically just stood there while dude went right ****ing by him-- i'm not sure he even extended his arms. . .

sneakers
12-22-2010, 03:33 AM
Bring back Dream!!!!

SOCALORADO.
12-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Sorry for the bump but I didn't really want to start a new thread on David Bruton...

Just wanted to bring up his epic missed tackle against FULLBACK Marcel Reece on Sunday. Holy crap, I don't think I've ever seen one play that made me sour on a guy's potential more than that... Once a promising ST player who I hoped would make it as a safety, now reduced to Marlon McCree and Calvin Lowry status. Where is Hamzah Abdullah when you need him?

You know, i was having such a nice Christmas season.
Then i read those three names.
McCree-Lowry-Abdullah.

Just so freakin sickening.

Superchop 7
12-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Pretty sure I have made my thoughts known.

Coulda woulda shoulda.

BroncoWave
12-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Bring back Dream!!!!

My thoughts exactly.