PDA

View Full Version : Passing Camp Recap: Monday

WARHORSE
06-09-2009, 03:48 PM
The last open practice of passing camp took place on Monday, and the team was in high spirits. The weather was great — sunny, but with enough breeze that it wasn’t too hot — and the energy on the field was contagious. Head Coach Josh McDaniels even bantered back and forth with some of the media as practice was starting, commenting on the bright color of one reporter’s jacket.
Without further adieu, here are some notes from Monday’s practice session.
OFFENSIVE IN THE RED ZONE
Early in practice, the offense and defense lined up for one play in the red zone. As the units got set at the line of scrimmage, Kyle Orton barked out a few commands and tried to get the defense to show its hand. After a particularly loud shout, Robert Ayers jumped slightly forward, letting Orton know he intended to blitz. He alerted the offensive line, took the snap and lofted a pass to the back corner of the end zone where Brandon Stokley snatched the ball just in front of Jack Williams.
Later in practice it was the offense that shined again in the red zone. McDaniels announced the situation — ball on the two-yard line, both teams are out of timeouts and the offense needs to score. It’s one play to decide the game, and Chris Simms was at the helm. Simms took the snap, backpedaled, avoided some pressure and fired a pass to Jabar Gaffney, who made quite a catch in the corner of the end zone even though Champ Bailey seemed to have him blanketed.

QUICK HITS
Stokley seemed to have a pretty solid practice. He caught pass after pass after pass, often drawing groans from the defense who thought they had the play covered.
Just after warm-ups, Simms worked with running backs on catching the ball out of the backfield while Orton stepped aside to work on mechanics with McDaniels. The coach said earlier that he’s been working with each signal caller on alternating days.
Speaking of quarterbacks, each one practiced poise in the pocket with offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Mike McCoy simulating pressure by knocking them with blocking pads and forcing them to scramble before firing the pass.
Running backs and tight ends often went in motion out wide as receivers, something that seems to be prevalent in this offense, judging solely from the practices that have been open to the media.
During a hurry-up drill, Orton noticed the defense was taking a little long to substitute two players so he hurried the offense to the line and took the snap while too many defenders were on the field, drawing a penalty and subsequent first down.
At the end of each practice, the team runs sprints from one end of the field to another — the width of it, not the 100-yard length. It’s certainly not a race, but it’s obvious which players are having a little competition to see who can finish first. Two players won their shift of sprints every time — Joshua Bell and Simms.
After the sprints, the defensive line set up for one more drill — practicing knocking down balls at the line of scrimmage. Coaches aimed the JUGS machine high, launched the ball and the linemen jumped to swat away the “passes.”

G_Money
06-09-2009, 04:55 PM
I don't know how to feel. On the one hand, it's nice that the offense seems to be making some strides and doing some of the things McDaniels wants.

OTOH, is it a good thing that Spleen Boy and The Amazing Neck Beard are still shredding what was the worst D in the league last year?

~G

WARHORSE
06-09-2009, 05:49 PM
I don't know how to feel. On the one hand, it's nice that the offense seems to be making some strides and doing some of the things McDaniels wants.

OTOH, is it a good thing that Spleen Boy and The Amazing Neck Beard are still shredding what was the worst D in the league last year?

~G

I wouldnt read all that much into it. Its easy to throw TDs when you know youre wearing a red jersey and youre not gonna get hit.

Lonestar
06-10-2009, 01:50 AM

~G

with a great O is that not supposed to happen beat the D ?

we all knew that the Offense was not to far away from a great year.. and the D had a long ways to go..

Not to mention when the pads go on things also changes..

BTW why is everyone down on Simms I was lead to believe that mike regarded him highly..

topscribe
06-10-2009, 03:00 AM

~G

What was there last year is not what is there this year. You ought to know that.
But this "shredding" should be expected. That is essentially touch football out
there. I don't believe any concrete assumptions can be drawn from what is
going on out there now. They're playing chess. The WWE comes later.

-----

topscribe
06-10-2009, 03:01 AM
with a great O is that not supposed to happen beat the D ?

we all knew that the Offense was not to far away from a great year.. and the D had a long ways to go..

Not to mention when the pads go on things also changes..

BTW why is everyone down on Simms I was lead to believe that mike regarded him highly..

I don't think anyone knows much about Simms. He has played only 20 games, stretched over five years. :whoknows:

-----

WARHORSE
06-10-2009, 02:51 PM
What was there last year is not what is there this year. You ought to know that.

-----

Very astute choice of words. They are indeed simply playing chess.

......which made me think of challenging Kasparov to a chess match donning football gear to carry out each capture.

Lets see who wins now genius.:bike:

NameUsedBefore
06-10-2009, 03:13 PM
I think Gary is too busy getting busted in the mouth by Russian government thugs to play chess right now.

silkamilkamonico
06-10-2009, 03:44 PM
The offense will be good this year regardless of the QB. *cough*MattCassell*cough

Everyone talks about the QB being lucky because of the "weapons" on the Patriots offense, Denver's offense isn't exactly loaded with scrubs either *cough*BrandonMarshallEddieRoyalBrandonStokleyKnow ShonMorenoTonySchefflerDanielGrahamGreatOline*coug h*

Look for another explosive and dynamic offense this year, that might even actually be able to score in the red zone.

Lonestar
06-10-2009, 03:49 PM

-----

but even in chess you need to learn the moves before you go into combat..

If you do not get the ideas down before getting out on the field then you are going to flame out.. and perhaps that is partially why Bates failed here the players either did not get it or they did not want to get it..

I believe that Josh is assuring to everyone that it works by repetition and when TC comes they will have most of it down in their heads..

Lonestar
06-10-2009, 03:53 PM
The offense will be good this year regardless of the QB. *cough*MattCassell*cough

Everyone talks about the QB being lucky because of the "weapons" on the Patriots offense, Denver's offense isn't exactly loaded with scrubs either *cough*BrandonMarshallEddieRoyalBrandonStokleyKnow ShonMorenoHILLISTonySchefflerDanielGrahamGreatOlin e*cough*

Look for another explosive and dynamic offense this year, that might even actually be able to score in the red zone.

one glaring person missing from that list HILLIS

edited for accuracy

Superchop 7
06-10-2009, 08:18 PM
The defense is usually ahead of the offense at this stage......

Lonestar
06-10-2009, 08:34 PM
The defense is usually ahead of the offense at this stage......

but because most of them did not know each other before the camp started and none of them had a clue about the scheme it may be a tad reversed this year..

at least on the O side the OLINE knew where the urinals were before camp started..:laugh::laugh:

remember we have 43 rookies or NEW FA's on this team at this time out of 80 some odd players.. about the only folks held over from last year doing the same job is Champ, tuten, dennison, prater, Kern and Bobby Turner.. everyone else are new to there spots on this team..