PDA

View Full Version : Talk about hating on the Broncos

Dortoh
06-09-2009, 03:32 PM
this is ******* awesome funny. Very VERY long but a great read if you like retarded funny shit

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2009den.php

2009 NFL Season Preview:

Veteran Additions:
QB Kyle Orton, QB Chris Simms, RB Correll Buckhalter, RB LaMont Jordan, WR Jabar Gaffney, OT Brandon Gorin, DE/NT Ronald Fields, DT Darrell Reid, ILB Andra Davis, ILB Nick Greisen, CB Andre' Goodman, FS Brian Dawkins, FS Renaldo Hill.
Draft Picks:
RB Knowshon Moreno, DE Robert Ayers, CB Alphonso Smith, FS Darcel McBath, TE Dick Quinn, FS David Bruton, G Seth Olsen, WR Kenny McKinley, QB Tom Brandstater.
Offseason Losses:
QB Jay Cutler, QB Patrick Ramsey, QB Darrell Hackney, RB Tatum Bell, RB J.J. Arrington, RB Selvin Young, RB P.J. Pope, RB Anthony Alridge, RB Michael Pittman, WR Darrell Jackson, WR Glenn Martinez, TE Nate Jackson, TE Chad Mustard, OT Erik Pears, C Tom Nalen, DE Ebenezer Ekbuan, DE John Engelberger, DT Dewayne Robertson, DT Josh Shaw, OLB Jamie Winborn, ILB Nate Webster, ILB Niko Koutouvides, CB Dre Bly, CB Karl Paymah, FS Marlon McCree, SS Marquand Manuel.

2009 Denver Broncos Offense:
You know the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?" Well, Josh McDaniels apparently lives by a different mantra: "If it ain't broke, make it worse. And if it is broke, don't fix it. Oh, and make sure you surrender future first-round picks so you can draft crappy players who don't fit your system."

I've been covering the NFL for nearly 10 years on this Web site, and I've seen coaches, GMs and owners do really stupid things - but not nearly as dumb as the stuff McDaniels pulled this offseason. From attempting to downgrade the quarterback position with a system player, to pissing off the franchise player, to alienating the fan base, to pissing off the franchise player even more, to actually downgrading the quarterback position by trading a top-notch signal caller for peanuts, to giving away a possible top-five pick for a nickel corner, to neglecting to fix one of the worst defenses in the NFL, McDaniels must have set a record for ineptitude.

Jay Cutler is gone and Kyle Orton is here. The few Denver fans who backed this silly Cutler-Orton deal are just about to see the difference between an elite talent and a system guy with no arm. Sure, Cutler threw a lot of interceptions last year (18) - way mo than Orton's 12 - but Cutler's interception percentage (2.9%) was pretty identical to Orton's (2.6%) because Cutler was forced to throw a ton, thanks to his horrifically inept defense. Orton has never been asked to play in shootouts or come from behind. Orton has always had a very capable defense at the very least in Chicago, so I'll be shocked if we don't see his pick total soar to about 20.

If the downgrade at the quarterback position wasn't enough, there's a chance Brandon Marshall could be suspended for a few games. The ultra-talented wideout (104 catches, 1,265 yards, 6 TDs) was arrested in March and is being charged with misdemeanor battery. We won't know Marshall's fate until August.

But it's not all negative for the Broncos. McDaniels made at least one great selection in the 2009 NFL Draft. Knowshon Moreno has the skills and the talent around him to lead in the league in yards from scrimmage. A three-down back, Moreno will catch a ton of passes from the weak-armed Orton. He also has the luxury of running behind one of the premier offensive lines in the NFL; the front five, led by left tackle Ryan Clady (gave up 0.5 sacks as a rookie) surrendered just 12 sacks in 2008 and allowed a slew of mediocre running backs to average 4.8 yards a pop.

In addition to Moreno and Marshall, Orton will also have second-year wideout Eddie Royal and tight end Tony Scheffler at his disposal. As a mere rookie, Royal caught 91 passes for 980 yards, while Scheffler chipped in with 40 grabs for 645 yards. For fantasy purposes, it kind of makes you wish that the Broncos had someone who could get them the ball downfield consistently, huh?

2009 Denver Broncos Defense:
And now we're at the "If it's broke, don't fix it" part. The Broncos arguably had the worst defense in the NFL last year. They weren't dead last against the run (29th) or the pass (also 29th), but they completely melted down during the stretch, surrendering 112 points in a three-game span that decided their fate.

Instead of adding talent to the stop unit, McDaniels spent the entire offseason attempting to downgrade the quarterback position, changing the defensive scheme to an unfamiliar 3-4, acquiring old washed-up veterans and drafting players who don't fit the 3-4.

Good defenses can get to the quarterback, defend the pass and stop the run. The Broncos couldn't do any of those last year. As mentioned, they were pitiful versus the rush and pass. Meanwhile, their sack total stood at a pathetic 26, as no player had more than five sacks (Elvis Dumervil and Ebenezer Ekbuan). Unfortunately, Ekuban is gone, while Dumervil and the disappointing third-year Jarvis Moss (four career sacks) have to transition to the 3-4.

With quarterback pressure once again an issue, Denver's secondary could match the YPA it surrendered in 2008 (7.7). Cornerbacks Champ Bailey and Andre' Goodman are skilled players, but both will be 31 once the season starts. At safety, the Broncos have Brian Dawkins (36 in October) and Renaldo Hill (31 in November). It doesn't take a football guru to realize that four old defensive backs are going to struggle if the front seven can't get to the quarterback consistently. The Broncos have young secondary players in reserve (Alphonso Smith, Darcel McBath and David Bruton) but the three likely won't be ready for full-time NFL action until 2010.

As you can guess, the team's rush defense once again will be an issue. Denver's new three-man line is comprised of nose tackle Ronald Fields, a marginal player who couldn't even start for the 49ers; 3-4 end Robert Ayers, an undersized rookie who doesn't fit the system; and 3-4 end Ryan "The Magic" McBean, who has participated in just one NFL game. Ouch.

With perhaps the league's worst defensive line, inside linebackers D.J. Williams and Andra Davis will have to take on way too many blockers to make plays. Williams is a really talented player, but he won't have any help. Davis, meanwhile, really struggled in Cleveland last season. The Browns didn't even want to bring him back, yet he's starting for McDaniels. That should tell you how truly awful this defense is.

2009 Denver Broncos Schedule and Intangibles:
Freezing temperatures and thin air should create a hostile environment for opponents, which explains why Denver had an NFL-best 70-18 home record from 1995 to 2005. However, the team is just 13-11 as hosts the past three seasons. Is the Mile High magic dead? It certainly appeared that way when the Bills came into Denver and beat the Broncos in a must-win game in Week 16.

Jason Elam is gone, and it's safe to say that Broncos fans really missed him last year. Matt Prater established himself as one of the league's worst kickers, missing a field goal in all but one of his final nine games in 2008. Going into the 2008 campaign, Prater was just 1-of-4 in his career, so this had "fail" written all over it from the beginning.

Brett Kern averaged 46.7 yards per punt, which is usually a good number, but fairly easy to maintain in Denver. Kern dropped just 13 kicks inside the 20, however.

Eddie Royal couldn't score a punt or a kick return touchdown, but his averages (10.0, 26.1 respectively) were really decent. He could break one in 2009. Unfortunately, the Broncos surrendered two returns themselves, which gives them a total of five in the past two seasons. That's not good.

The Broncos open up against Cincinnati, Cleveland, Oakland and Dallas, but things get much more difficult after that. Check out their next seven games: New England, at San Diego, at Baltimore, Pittsburgh, at Washington, San Diego and New York Giants. Denver also has battles at Indianapolis in Week 14 and at Philadelphia in Week 16. Godspeed, Mr. McDaniels.

2009 Denver Broncos Analysis: A year ago, I picked the Broncos to go 9-7, tying them for first in the AFC West. I was excited about the fact that Jay Cutler finally had his condition under control, and I was confident he would establish himself among the league's top signal-callers.

Cutler managed to do so, but was betrayed by his defense in the final three weeks of the season. Cutler was then betrayed by Josh McDaniels and rightfully asked for a trade.

Now that Cutler's gone, the Broncos have a pretty mediocre offense to match their pathetic defense. This team seems destined to finish in the NFL's cellar. Too bad its probable top-five selection will belong to Seattle.

Projection: 4-12 (TBA in AFC West)

cont next post....

Dortoh
06-09-2009, 03:32 PM
2009 NFL Draft Grade:

John Clayton said it best: "Josh McDaniels doesn't have a grasp on how to build a team."

McDaniels had a franchise quarterback and shipped him away for what turned out to be Kyle Orton, Robert Ayers, Alphonso Smith and Richard Quinn.

Speaking of Ayers, how does he fit into the 3-4? This is why putting together a logical mock draft is futile; Ayers, a 4-3 guy, could be lost in Denver's scheme. Does he balloon up and play up front? Does he somehow play rush linebacker even though he couldn't get sacks in college? Does McDaniels even know he's running a 3-4?

McDaniels traded both of his third-round picks to move up to No. 64, where he took a blocking tight end. A freaking blocking tight end!

McDaniels also failed to address the defensive line. Denver should once again rank dead last versus the run.

And to top it off, McDaniels traded away next year's first-round pick to move up for Alphonso Smith. Smith will play nickel in 2009, while the Seahawks will likely be drafting in the top five next April.

Grade given on 4/27/09: D

2009 NFL Draft Picks:

12. Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
With Tyson Jackson and B.J. Raji off the board, the Broncos didn't have many options here. They took the best player available in Knowshon Moreno. Denver's defense will continue to be epically horrific, but once again, Denver didn't have much of a choice. (Pick Grade: A)

18. Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
I don't like this at all. Robert Ayers is a 1-year starter who wasn't nearly as productive as some of the other first-round prospects in this class. Ayers isn't a natural fit for the 3-4. Does he balloon up and play on the line? Do you play him at rush linebacker and get debacled in coverage? Then again, this pick was made by the same man who wanted a system quarterback over Jay Cutler. (Pick Grade: C)

37. Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
Alphonso Smith is an OK pick. I don't know what the Broncos plan on doing with their defensive line. The reason for the F? Denver gave up a 2010 first-round pick! If it was Denver's choice and not Chicago's, the Seahawks could be picking in the top five next April. (Pick Grade: F)

48. Darcel McBath, FS, Texas Tech
I guess you can never have too many defensive backs, eh? The Broncos needed a free safety to take over for Brian Dawkins in a year or two, but I really have to wonder what they're going to do with their defensive line. (Pick Grade: B)

64. Richard Quinn, TE, North Carolina
Yet another confusing move by Josh McDaniels, who moved up into this selection. You don't take a blocking tight end in the second round, especially when you have huge holes on your defensive line. It's amazing to me that some teams just don't understand the concept of positional value. I don't care if Quinn becomes a very good player; this selection deserves a Z- because blocking tight ends should never go over defensive linemen in Round 2. (Pick Grade: Z-)

114. David Bruton, FS, Notre Dame
Another defensive back, Josh? I like David Bruton, but it's very apparent that Josh McDaniels has absolutely no idea how to put an NFL team together. What are the Broncos going to do with their defensive line? (Pick Grade: C)

132. Seth Olsen, G, Iowa
Adding offensive line depth is never a bad idea. Reaching for prospects and ignoring the defensive line? That's another story. (Pick Grade: D)

141. Kenny McKinley, WR, South Carolina
Josh McDaniels is either really smart by finding these unknown players who are being considered reaches right now... or he'll be fired by Jan. 1, 2011. I'll lay -200 on the latter. (Pick Grade: D)

174. Tom Brandstater, QB, Fresno State
Josh McDaniels finds his developmental quarterback. I have no problem with this draft choice. (Pick Grade: B)

225. Blake Schlueter, C, TCU
No draft value here, but the Broncos needed a zone-blocking center. (Pick Grade: B)

Requiem / The Dagda
06-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Nobody has taken Walter Football seriously for years, I don't see why people should start taking it seriously now.

JKcatch724
06-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Somebody's gonna feel stupid when that F grade for Phonso is brought up in a couple years.

Dean
06-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Somebody's gonna feel stupid when that F grade for Phonso is brought up in a couple years.

Yes, . . . for a first round pick, let's hope that is not Bronco fans feeling stupid. :D

Lonestar
06-10-2009, 01:41 AM
Hey he obviously does not get what Josh it trying to do or he knows and Josh does not have a clue on what to do..

I think it the former.. as a team we should be better than last year, but going up against this schedule well he may be right about 4-12..

But with mike it would not have been any better.. mikes teams struggled out on the east coast forever and we are playing some heavy duty teams with 6 of them being playoff teams from last year.. and none of them have been bad teams over the past 6-8 years.. all been good solid teams..

lex
06-10-2009, 08:31 AM
Stuff like this could actually get worse. All the McDaniels apologists should probably start getting their excuses ready. Because if it doesnt go well, they could easily come down on McDaniels like a ton of bricks. Its going to be glorious success or absolute failure and based on the way the media is entrenching itself, it doesnt seem there will be a middle ground.

roomemp
06-10-2009, 09:00 AM
I had a dream that the Broncos won the Super Bowl last night. All of the McDaniels bashers ate their crow. I hope it comes true.

frauschieze
06-10-2009, 09:07 AM
I had a dream that the Broncos won the Super Bowl last night. All of the McDaniels bashers ate their crow. I hope it comes true.

I had a dream last night that I was fighting zombies and I came up with a formula which would turn them human again if they were sprayed and it was awesome except it only worked for about 10 minutes, after which the zombies evolved so it was not effective anymore and I was trapped in a small room in a warehouse full of zombies and I faced certain death.

I hope your dream comes true and not mine!

roomemp
06-10-2009, 09:08 AM
I had a dream last night that I was fighting zombies and I came up with a formula which would turn them human again if they were sprayed and it was awesome except it only worked for about 10 minutes, after which the zombies evolved so it was not effective anymore and I was trapped in a small room in a warehouse full of zombies and I faced certain death.

I hope so too. That is a very entertaining dream by the way :laugh:

NightTrainLayne
06-10-2009, 09:13 AM

Are your dreams always so sexual Frau? :confused:

Back on topic, if McDaniels turns into a total failure, I will be ready to eat my crow. I won't bother making excuses for him, I will just admit that I was totally wrong. However, I am still really optimistic about what he is trying to do. At the very least, he is running the team how he wants it run, and taking control and ownership of his decisions. I can't ask much more as a fan (i.e. I am not involved in day-to-day operations).

Plus, if he's a success, I won't ever let Dreadnought live it down. :D

Dortoh
06-10-2009, 09:22 AM

You are legend

except you didnt seem to have a kick ass dog with you

atwater27
06-10-2009, 08:14 PM
I agree with the articles. Josh has pissed in my cornflakes. He has to prove himself to me now.

Lonestar
06-10-2009, 08:38 PM
I agree with the articles. Josh has pissed in my cornflakes. He has to prove himself to me now.

well I'm sure he is losing sleep about it.. :tsk:

atwater27
06-11-2009, 08:01 AM
well I'm sure he is losing sleep about it.. :tsk:

Did you think of that one all by your self? I'm proud of you!