PDA

View Full Version : New story from NFL.com about Denver and MCD

Elevation inc
06-09-2009, 12:13 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810ba5bb&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

DENVER -- He botched an attempt to acquire his former quarterback, setting off a firestorm that eventually led to his inherited quarterback's exit out of town. He has come under heavy criticism for his way of doing business, not having a plan, being too young, too arrogant, too brash, too bold.

Even his new team owner admitted recently that the first-time coach had made "rookie mistakes" in his first 100 days on the job.

But the past few weeks have brought Broncos coach Josh McDaniels some public acceptance and faith from his players. Once pushed down the plank after mishandling former quarterback Jay Cutler's ego and trading the Pro Bowler away, he seemingly has discovered a return walkway.

McDaniels was a hit at a recent Broncos fan festival and his once suspect on-field plan, now that it's been set in motion through a series of passing camps, has piqued players' belief that maybe this guy is on to something. At the very least, players feel they need to give McDaniels a shot because winning with him will feel better than losing, regardless of who's making the decisions.

"The main thing, as one of the leaders of this team, is to buy into what the coach is doing. That way, the others follow," veteran Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey said after an OTA practice on Monday at the Broncos' practice facility. "You can't talk negative. I don't care if it is stuff that's real or not. You've got to be positive. You keep things positive, guys will feed into it and want to win for this guy."

Open competition

Kyle Orton and Chris Simms will duke it out during the offseason and in training camp for the Broncos starting quarterback job. Below is a comparison of their career stats:

Kyle Orton
Games/Starts: 33/33
Passer rating: 71.1
Comp. pct.: 55.3
Yards/attempt: 5.8
TDs/INTs: 30/27

Chris Simms
Games/Starts: 20/15
Passer rating: 71.2
Comp. pct.: 59.1
Yards/attempt: 6.3
TDs/INTs: 12/17
Regardless of what players think of McDaniels, it won't do any good to doubt him until it's determined whether what he's selling works.

No need to go to players for that assessment, though. McDaniels is well aware that if he doesn't win, the heat he'll feel in one of the NFL's most passionate football cities will be enough to melt the snow off the caps of the Rockies.

"That's this game. I mean I know what's going to happen. This is about winning," said McDaniels, in the midst of the Broncos' final offseason OTA. "If you lose, you're going to get criticism, I don't care who you are. If you win, you're going to get praise. I don't' care how good you are or how bad you are. If you're lucky to win you're going to get, "Look how good he is." That's just football."

Some Denver players indicated that there was some doubt about what McDaniels was trying to accomplish after his flirtation with acquiring former Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel got Cutler so bent out of shape, a trade was necessitated. What helped eventually swing things in McDaniels' favor were time, high character veterans and a slew of new acquisitions -- like former Eagles safety Brian Dawkins -- who put aside the high drama and concentrated on earning starting jobs or extending their careers.

"It was a crazy situation but it's the NFL and the NFL is always crazy," said quarterback Chris Simms, one of 17 new players acquired by the Broncos since McDaniels was hired in January. "For the most part, after the trade was done, two or three days later, everybody kind of moved on."

Added Bailey: "There always is going to be some negative talk somewhere. I don't care where you are or who the coach is, it's always going to be there. It's hard for a coach to please everybody. It's all about making guys understand. He's trying to do what's best for the team. We just have to buy into it."

According to McDaniels, the coaching and front office staffs' unflinching commitment to the blueprint that was laid out to players upon McDaniels' arrival is what has helped get and keep his team's attention. Well, everything except the Cutler Saga. And to some degree, even that unforeseen situation fell in line with the plan.

A plan that says no one player is bigger than the team and that the team can beat any opponent if players focus only on doing their jobs. It's the model that has proven successful in New England under Bill Belichick -- the Petri dish of winning that spawned McDaniels.

"In New England we had a mindset that if you didn't bring in people who were problems or who could be a problem you don't' have that distraction to deal with," McDaniels said. "We've tried to do this right and make this thing jell from a roster standpoint. From what I see, this group has come together as a team. From the first team meeting in the middle of March we laid out our vision and we really stuck to the things we told them we were going to stick to.

"That is hard work, evaluating everything we're doing to try to make it the best we can make it and that every player's got a job to do. It's been my experience that if 11 players do their job on a play we're going to win that play. We've really followed through in pounding that message home."

Reunited out west
Broncos coach Josh McDaniels may not have succeeded in trading for former Patriots QB Matt Cassel, but he was able to lure WR Jabar Gaffney to join him in Denver. More ... Added quarterback Kyle Orton: "It's all about accountability here."

Look up and down the Broncos' roster and you won't find but a handful of household names, and even that might be a stretch. Bailey and Dawkins are two. They are among the few players who won't be battling for their jobs, either.

This, too, is part of McDaniels' plan.

Orton, the quarterback Denver received from Chicago in the Cutler trade (the Broncos also received 2009 and 2010 first-round picks), is competing for the starting job with Simms. Rookie running back Knowshon Moreno, taken with the first-round pick acquired from Bears, and outside linebacker/defensive end Robert Ayers, the taken with the Broncos' second first-round selection, aren't being given starting jobs. And the wide receiver rotation also remains in flux as standout Brandon Marshall is rehabilitating from hip surgery and awaiting possible discipline from a 2008 domestic incident.

With so many players worried about whether they'll earn a roster spot, there is little choice than to do what they're being told. So buying in isn't solely voluntary. For most, it's a method of survival.

Then, there are the Xs and Os. Defensively, the Broncos' porous defense from a season ago is being re-tooled under former 49ers head coach Mike Nolan. Denver plans to use a 3-4 front, which is one of the reasons the Broncos took Ayers out of Tennessee with the No. 18 overall pick. Bailey said there is definitely a high learning curve, but players see the chance to succeed.

McDaniels, as he did in New England, will control the offense. He will attempt to get Orton and Simms, quarterbacks with career completion percentages below 60 percent, to run a system where quarterbacks typically complete well above that mark. Not only are Simms and Orton believers, knowing that career backup Matt Cassel completed 63 percent of his passes and threw for 3,693 yards and 21 touchdowns in the same scheme in 2008, they've seen possitive things happen in practice with the offense.

"It's a great system. It puts a lot of demands on us mentally. It gets guys open and it's your job to get them the ball and let them do what they do," said Orton, who registered career highs in yards (2,972), touchdowns (18) and completion percentage (58.5) last season with the Bears.

Broncos' top 5 fantasy players
1. Knowshon Moreno
2. Brandon Marshall
3. Eddie Royal
4. Kyle Orton
5. Tony Scheffler

Sleeper: Orton

-- Michael Fabiano The main thing McDaniels has done and will do until his team goes on display this fall, is place himself, and no one else, in the line of fire. He is the singular voice and figure of the franchise.

Take the Cutler situation for example. Though trying to placate and then eventually dealing Cutler wasn't solely his idea, he made it appear publicly that way. Since arriving in Denver, every move made by the Broncos has been designed that way. Wins and losses will be placed at his feet, too, much like they've been with Belichick, his mentor.

It's not much different than the way things have been done in Denver for a long time. Mike Shanahan was the omnipotent force of the franchise for 14 years, two of which ended in Super Bowl championships. Players, coaches, and wins and losses arrived and left, but Shanahan remained a constant -- until last winter, when the seemingly impenetrable bubble around him was burst and he was fired after a third straight season of not making the playoffs.

In the short time he's walked in Shanahan's shoes, McDaniels hasn't done much to reconstruct the wall of security that allowed Shanahan such a lengthy shelf life. In fact, team owner Pat Bowlen, while supporting McDaniels through it all, admitted recently that his new coach has made "rookie mistakes" in his short tenure.

However, with the Cutler saga behind him and the franchise and the reality of football starting to settle in, McDaniels has at least developed a following from those he needs to lead.

Though things might not have gotten off to an ideal start, a plan at least seems to be developing. And for McDaniels and the Broncos, that is a victory unto itself.

JONtheBRONCO
06-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Very solid read.

WARHORSE
06-09-2009, 02:40 PM
As I said before, I really like what McD is doing. Only the Cutler deal sours the situation.

But in the end, maybe Jays head got a little too fat for this organization.

Maybe his head got bigger than his arm............

Maybe.

Lets sit back and watch it all play out.

McDaniels is playing his cards perfectly in response to everything thats happened, including hearing his boss say that his coach has made some rookie mistakes.

You can tell his determination has not been hampered. He believes through and through what hes doing is going to pay off, and that hard work and possible hard times are always part of the cost.

Keep working McD.

Keep working.:beer:

LoyalSoldier
06-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Just like with our president. I have to see how this team does before I start to believe it.

Lonestar
06-09-2009, 06:44 PM
here are followups to this series at NFL.com

Broncos RB Knowshon Moreno can be the No. 1 running back Denver has lacked in recent years.

Broncos burning fantasy question: Can Knowshon Moreno emerge as a featured back in his rookie season?

The Broncos raised a lot of eyebrows by drafting Moreno with the No. 12 overall selection in the 2009 NFL Draft. Not that Moreno lacks talent -- he was widely viewed as the best running back in the draft.

Broncos' top 5 fantasy players
1. Knowshon Moreno
2. Brandon Marshall
3. Eddie Royal
4. Kyle Orton
5. Tony Scheffler

Sleeper: Orton
- Michael Fabiano But the Broncos had previously added RBs Correll Buckhalter and LaMont Jordan during the free agency period to go with Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis among other holdovers.

Former coach Mike Shanahan tormented fantasy footballers with his running back by committee approach. New coach Josh McDaniels appeared to be taking it to another level. The coach who brazenly traded Jay Cutler was up to his old tricks again, dismantling the Broncos with little regard.

Or was he?

After the initial shock wore off, and the quips from so-called draft experts drifted into the ether, you could see the method to McDaniels' perceived madness. And how it greatly impacted fantasy owners everywhere.

Buckhalter and Jordan are nice players -- and maybe even nice guys. But not one of them is a No. 1 fantasy back. Moreno is -- and he will likely show that right from the start.

Moreno gives the Broncos a No. 1 back they have lacked since trading Clinton Portis in 2004. Now a potential RBBC in Denver has given way to a clear No. 1 back. A guy who should be among the first 15 running backs taken in most drafts. The rest of the mid-carders in the Broncos backfield barely even registered in most fantasy forcasts.

Are you o.k. with that?

Moreno is not only a great runner, but he is going to have an impact in the Broncos' passing game as an adept receiver, too. Scouts raved about his hands and Moreno is considered an exceptional route runner.

Great news for Broncos No. 1 QB Kyle Orton.

The former Bears signal caller probably won't attempt 616 passes like Cutler did in 2008, but with a legit No. 1 running back like Moreno, he won't have to.

http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/story?id=09000d5d8104dab0&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Lonestar
06-09-2009, 06:46 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81008144/Knowshon-Moreno-s-impact

RedFalcon
06-09-2009, 07:36 PM
That's a pretty good video... I don't know how I missed it before... Thanks!

lex
06-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Who is "we"?

MasterShake
06-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Who is "we"?

"We" would be "us", meaning "you" who is "I", who just happens to be "me".

Simple Jaded
06-09-2009, 07:55 PM
I trust that Josh McDaniels could **** up a wet dream.......

lex
06-09-2009, 08:16 PM
"We" would be "us", meaning "you" who is "I", who just happens to be "me".

Its not "I". Il Duce has a lot to prove. Trust is something thats earned and not given. He has nothing from me.

topscribe
06-09-2009, 08:36 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81008144/Knowshon-Moreno-s-impact

TD on Moreno: "I have yet to see the young man being caught."

TD is a Georgia alumnus. You know he saw their games.

So much for the perceived "top end speed" problems . . . :2thumbs:

-----

lex
06-09-2009, 08:42 PM

-----

Actually, I think i heard him say he hasnt followed the program as much. Its hard to blame him.

BroncoWave
06-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Its not "I". Il Duce has a lot to prove. Trust is something thats earned and not given. He has nothing from me.

Kinda like you put your 100% trust into Spagnuolo being our head coach despite him having the exact same HC experience as McDaniels? :rolleyes:

lex
06-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Kinda like you put your 100% trust into Spagnuolo being our head coach despite him having the exact same HC experience as McDaniels? :rolleyes:

gur, gur

Lonestar
06-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Actually, I think i heard him say he hasnt followed the program as much. Its hard to blame him.

Well there you go Thinking again..:confused:.. your gonna have to stop that:D

MasterShake
06-10-2009, 08:43 AM

Is that "me" meaning "Me" or "you"?

rationalfan
06-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Maybe his head got bigger than his arm............

Perfect. Just perfect.

Greatspirits
06-10-2009, 07:27 PM
I don't care what anybody say's, I'm totally stoked about this season, I have a good feel we will be a lot better than what most people think! We'll see!!

MasterShake
06-10-2009, 07:37 PM
I don't care what anybody say's, I'm totally stoked about this season, I have a good feel we will be a lot better than what most people think! We'll see!!

Well, most people think we will have 4 wins, so we have to aim pretty high!

Seriously though, I'm with you. Its nice to be under the radar again. I hope we can pull out a decent season. I'm more excited this year than most because I want to see it all come together.:salute:

atwater27
06-10-2009, 08:10 PM

-----

Don't get me wrong, I think Moreno will be good. But I don't know who TD saw playing but it wasn't Moreno. The guy gets caught from behind on a lot of his runs. And I give him credit for having the initial quickness, moves and vision to break away, but given a chance to kick on the afterburners, he usually gets caught by the safety.

Superchop 7
06-10-2009, 08:11 PM
5 wins would be the best !!

I am sooooooooo happy !!

MasterShake
06-10-2009, 08:28 PM
5 wins would be the best !!

I am sooooooooo happy !!

If 4 came against the Raiders and Chargers, I would be happy too!:D

Simple Jaded
06-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Spagnuolo didn't try to trade Marc Bulger for David Carr nor did he trade next years Top10-15 pick.......