PDA

View Full Version : Red Faction- Guerilla (PS3/360)

Shazam!
06-09-2009, 01:05 AM
This game is so much fun I can't put it down.

Red Faction-Guerilla is in fact Red Faction 3. In a very brief summary of the originals- The miners and populace of Mars were rescued from the evil enslaving Ultor corporation that controlled the planet, when a resistance group called the Red Faction (RF) sent a distress call to the Earth Defense Force (EDF). Having had the corporation removed from power, EDF set up command on Mars with the settlers to help them rebuild. All went well for quite some time, until the EDF started taking control of all the land and citizen's mining claims, silencing opposition, killing protesters and demonstrators and all that stuff that these evil corporations do. In response, a small covert opposition group formed and took the RF name. Being outnumbered by not only manpower but the military might of the EDF, RF uses guerilla smash and grab tactics to fight their oppressors.

If you like GTA style games and liked causing chaos in the city, this game is for you. The original RF games were FPSs, but this is 3rd person like GTA. There is a cover system ala Gears or GRAW but it is nearly useless. Not only because your cover will constantly be broken down, but the enemies swarm at you quickly, so you'll always be moving.

Every structure on Mars can be brought crashing down in so many different ways and no two buildings collapse alike. There are all kinds of different buildings and other objects to be destroyed. Just going around smashing stuff with your sledgehammer and driving some of the huge trucks through EDF buildings and bases and running over enemy soldiers is so much fun no matter how many times you do it. Other citizens on Mars will jump in any fight raising morale and they'll open fire on the EDF and help you.

You can steal any of the vehicles, but the people give them to you to fight the EDF or escape. You can steal EDF vehicles too, even their tanks which is enormous fun because you can either blow up shit or drive right through anything. Later you can get into mechs they use for construction, and deconctruct anything.

Salvage of vehicles and buildings is the currency you use for upgrades and such, as the RF doesn't have the means to produce vehicles and weaponry like the EDF. The weapons are your typical standard fare with a few extra numbers that were improvised mining equipment, and a few are cool. Your sticky bombs, rocket launcher and various assault weapons will be getting a lot of use.

Many of the missions are supposed to be guerilla style. Stopping supply lines, taking out critical bases, blowing bridges, jailbreaks etc. But it always ends up the same way- kill the enemy, destroy some buildings and escape. It gets repetitive but it's still so much fun it's almost like a guilty pleasure.

The story goes along but it isn't anything moving until you get some meat into the game and even then it's just ok. The characters aren't memorable like Niko Belic (GTA4) or Tommy Vercetti (GTA-VC) either. This was one of the worst aspects of the game compared to others of the genre I thought. It's passable but they should've fleshed it out more. The in game movies and voice work is pretty good.

The presentation is great. The huge map allows you to navigate quickly around the landscape. The menu is easy to use and the HUD unobtrusive.

The graphics are excellent, though Mars is dirty and filthy kind of like a red Tatooine. Buildings come down wonderfully no matter what you use to do it, piece by piece. Explosions could've been better.

The sound is good, especially in the middle of full scale wars it opens up to some very dramatic themes. The frantic violin theme that opens up when you are in the middle of a massive fight or escaping your pursuers I found to be very fitting.

There are multiplayer options but I recommend this game for the single player campaign which is extremely lengthy. There is so much to do.

The game is rated M for Mature, but I think it should've earned a T. I've played a lot of T games that were more hardlined than this. Mercenaries 2 (which I thought was ass) was T and it had lots of destruction and mayhem too, despite being a lesser game.

I recommend this game to anyone who likes the GTA/open world type of games, 3rd person shooters, or if you like causing mass chaos, mayhem, and destruction. It's a blast.

8.5/10

Benetto
06-09-2009, 03:04 AM
Just added it to my Gamefly Q....If its that badass, I gotta see for myself...

Still in the middle of playing Infamous...8/10...Great game.

Shazam!
06-09-2009, 08:54 AM
I think my description is very accurate and if it intrigued you you'll agree with it. RFG doesn't disappoint in all the positives I mentioned.

Benetto
06-11-2009, 03:22 PM
I saw the commercial yesterday, and it did look badass...Can't wait for it to be sent.

Shazam!
06-11-2009, 09:10 PM
The game is SOOOO addicting. The gameplay is repetitive but it's so much fun no matter how much shit you destroy. I'm about 70% through now. I think you'll love it and agree with all I've said about it in my summary.

BroncoAV06
06-13-2009, 08:15 PM
I have not been able to play as much as I would have liked since I got it but I am liking it so far. The destruction is very cool, not just a blast then done, beems will fall a little after the blast etc..

Going to bust it out tonight after work!