PDA

View Full Version : Setting the Standard

Denver Native (Carol)
06-08-2009, 07:04 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9081

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Excuse Head Coach Josh McDaniels for wanting to erase the moment from his memory.

Rewind to Jan. 14, 2006. On that day, the Broncos defeated the New England Patriots 27-13 to advance to the AFC Championship game.

Many consider one play -- Champ Bailey's record-setting interception late into the third quarter -- as the crucial play that propelled the Broncos to victory and dethroned the two-time defending Super Bowl champs.

With the Patriots driving deep into Denver territory - and positioned to take the lead -- Bailey intercepted Tom Brady in the end zone and returned it 100 yards to the New England one-yard line, fumbling it out of bounds after being tackled by Patriots tight end Benjamin Watson. When he was finally brought to the ground, Bailey had recorded the longest non-scoring play in NFL history.

On Monday, a media member asked McDaniels if he has ever spoken with Bailey about the play that snapped the Patriots' 10-game postseason winning streak.

"We haven't talked about that too much," McDaniels said, cracking a smile. "If he did remind me of it, I'd remind him that he got caught by a tight end though. We haven't really talked about that, but that play is somewhere in the back of my head that I don't want to really bring up too many times."

As an opposing coach, McDaniels said he would give his quarterbacks simple advice when facing Bailey: "Don't throw over there."

Now on the same sideline as the eight-time Pro Bowler, he hopes Bailey can continue to cause headaches for opposing offenses. Throughout offseason workouts, McDaniels said Bailey has lived up to his billing as a standout player with a great work ethic.

"He's a very dangerous player," he said. "If you are going to throw over there you better make sure you run a good route and make a good throw, because he's going to be somewhere close to the ball."

STOKLEY DRAWS PRAISE

On a day when Brandon Stokley stood out among his peers at practice, McDaniels spoke highly of the 11th-year wide receiver.

"Brandon is certainly a veteran player who has done a lot of great things in this league and fits really well into our system and what we do," he said.

For some time, Stokley has been known around the league as a third-down threat. As a coach in New England, McDaniels got an up-close look as Stokley seemingly always found a way to move the chains for the Colts and Broncos.

"He's been a pain in the butt from afar really," McDaniels said. "He's been one of the best third-down receivers in the league in terms of getting open past the sticks and converting and keeping the offense on the field … He's a good person for some of our young players to emulate."

Eddie Royal is one of those young players learning from Stokley. While the wide receivers as a whole are adjusting to new routes and new terminology, Royal is leaning on Stokley whenever he needs advice.

"He's been great for me -- great in helping me grow as a wide receiver," Royal said. "Just watching him in the slot every day, they should teach tape just watching him, every route he runs. It's great getting little tips from him.

T.K.O.
06-08-2009, 09:37 PM
we're gonna make kyle orton a bada$$.....yeah i said it
"the broncos recievers will make kyle orton one of the top YOUNG qb's in the league!"

Dean
06-08-2009, 09:39 PM
That's an interesting read but all wasn't sugar and spice and everything nice today. It sounds like Wiegmann is chomping at the bit.

http://www.gazette.com/sports/wiegmann-56036-camp-contract.html

He played at a probowl level last year. IMO the Broncos line needs him back. However, his comment that if Shanahan was still here he would already have a new contract won't sit well with McKid.

I believe he is being paid veteran minimum. That is an insult after the way he played last year. Will he stay? Will he retire?

Magnificent Seven
06-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Please delete your thread.

NameUsedBefore
06-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Ban!

Dean
06-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Please delete your thread.

JR, when you merged the threads why didn't you either leave yours out (Carol beat you by about 2 hours) or keep this post after your thread like it originally was? Why did you put it after my post? :confused:

Lonestar
06-08-2009, 09:55 PM
JR, when you merged the threads why didn't you either leave yours out (Carol beat you by about 2 hours) or keep this post after your thread like it originally was? Why did you put it after my post? :confused:

I did not merge the threads.. one of the other mods must have.. I looked to see if this was reported must have missed it under new posts ..

gobroncsnv
06-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Man, I would HATE to see our line without Wiegmann... guy played just absolutely dope last year. I know that Clady and Harris have much skill, but we need Casey to keep this thing knitted together. He calls a mean game, can't over look his contribution when passing out credit for how few sacks we had last year. Anybody who's attended practices seeing anyone else we have who comes close?

Dean
06-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I did not merge the threads.. one of the other mods must have.. I looked to see if this was reported must have missed it under new posts ..

My bad, sorry.