PDA

View Full Version : Broncos like Siliga

Jsteve01
05-31-2012, 11:27 AM
Well It's so much hot air at this point but It looks like the Broncos weren't just talking when they said they like Siliga. He's running with the ones. Of course that's without Warren and Wolfe lol

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20746617/broncos-defensive-tackle-sealver-siliga-making-most-his

BigDaddyBronco
05-31-2012, 11:35 AM
Looks like a NT with him being in the 330-340 lb range. Would Bannan be the other NT?

Jsteve01
05-31-2012, 11:41 AM
Looks like a NT with him being in the 330-340 lb range. Would Bannan be the other NT?

I'm a little confused with he and Bannan both running at the same time. They're both big stout POA guys. Vickerson also bulked back up which tells me DelRio has already said we don't like the smallish tackles we ran out last year.

broncofaninfla
05-31-2012, 11:43 AM
Every offseason the media will beef 1-2 guys we never heard of, Im guessing he is one of them. With that said I would LOVE for him to be a surprsie stud DT and be the run stopper this team has needed for eons.

BigDaddyBronco
05-31-2012, 11:45 AM
I'm a little confused with he and Bannan both running at the same time. They're both big stout POA guys. Vickerson also bulked back up which tells me DelRio has already said we don't like the smallish tackles we ran out last year.

Maybe they were running out of bodies and used what they had. Either way, a 330 lb guy for the POA and Wolfe or Warren penetrating doesn't sound too bad. Problem is that will be how the year starts. At the end of the year, we'll have Siliga starting and Wolfe starting with a couple practice squad guys backing them up since everyone else is hurt.

Cugel
05-31-2012, 01:05 PM
Well, let's wait and see if Siliga makes the 53 man roster before we get all excited. :rolleyes:

"He's stout, he's strong and he's good on the inside," Broncos coach John Fox said. "We had him last year, and I liked the guy. He's been impressive."

Translation: "He's a big beefy guy and we need big beefy guys to anchor the run defense."

If Warren & Thomas don't return then Siliga's chances shoot up.

But, just try and name an undrafted DT who came out of nowhere to become a star in this league. It's like trying to name an undrafted QB who made the pro-bowl: Kurt Warner proves it's possible, but one Kurt Warner every thirty years or so doesn't mean it's likely.

So, pardon me if I wait a bit before jumping on the Sealver Siliga bandwagon! (Is there really a Sealver Siliga bandwagon?)

Hey, I'll be happy to jump on his bandwagon the minute he proves there's an engine in the thing and it doesn't have 4 square wheels! :laugh:

dogfish
05-31-2012, 02:01 PM
But, just try and name an undrafted DT who came out of nowhere to become a star in this league.

okay, john randle!

just because i could. . . :lol: and yes, i'm fully aware that it proves nothing, and the larger point stands-- i just couldn't help myself. . .

BigDaddyBronco
05-31-2012, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't be upset if Siliga turned into Pat Williams. He has been a pretty dominant undrafted DT. I don't think he'll even make the team, but you never know.

rationalfan
05-31-2012, 02:30 PM
But, just try and name an undrafted DT who came out of nowhere to become a star in this league.

jim burt
cullen jenkins
pat williams

not sure if each made the pro-bowl, but they were each very, very good DTs.

Cugel
05-31-2012, 03:09 PM
jim burt
cullen jenkins
pat williams

not sure if each made the pro-bowl, but they were each very, very good DTs.

Not one drafted in the last 15 years. :rolleyes:

If you want to argue that its perfectly possible to find a DT who wasn't even drafted and turn him into a pro-bowl player, well good luck!

It's the 2nd most difficult position to draft after QB. Elite pass-rushing DTs go in the top 5.

For all the scouts to so totally miss on a good big man that he's not even drafted is VERY rare these days. In the past, scouting was a LOT more hit and miss. I think that Karl Mecklenburg was drafted in the 8th round or something.

That's because of Bill Parcel's "Big Planet Theory" -- the number of athletic, agile big men is less the bigger they are. So, it's harder to find an elite DT than an elite LB, simply because there are more elite athletes who are 6'2" 245 than 6'6" 300+.

Just because there are more men 6'2 than 6'6" to begin with. So, if you're 6'6", 300 your chances of making the NFL are a lot better than if you're a 6'2" LB.

To get to the NFL as a LB you really have to be a VERY good college player. But, teams are forced to take chances on "developmental" DTs -- with the idea that a player might not be very good now, but given time he'll develop.

How often do you see them take a "developmental" LB or RB? Not that often. You have to have your game together if you're a RB or you're not likely to be drafted and certainly not in the first or second round.

If Derek Wolfe were a 6'2" LB who weighed 245 lbs he wouldn't have been drafted. Or he'd be a guy who had to fight for his job to prove himself in the NFL like Joe Mays.

rationalfan
05-31-2012, 03:55 PM
Not one drafted in the last 15 years. :rolleyes:

If you want to argue that its perfectly possible to find a DT who wasn't even drafted and turn him into a pro-bowl player, well good luck!

nope. just listed some undrafted guys who played DT pretty well. nothing more. nothing less.

though, i'd counter that you don't need a superstar at DT to win super bowls. you just need some true talent.

FanInAZ
05-31-2012, 04:46 PM
...and it doesn't have 4 square wheels! :laugh:

:D The Myth Busters proved that you can drive a motor vehicle on 4 square wheels; and I was shocked when they pulled it off. Granted, it wasn't a very comfortable ride and the wheels came off within 100 yards or so, but they did drive it for those 100 yards with square wheels. :D

Jsteve01
05-31-2012, 06:56 PM
Lol cug as I said in tthe original post its otas so means nothing. Just found it interesting that fox and delrio have been touting him recently. Delirio knows tackles

BroncoBowlby 88
05-31-2012, 07:52 PM
I wouldn't put much into it. Warren is holding out and still recovering, Thomas is waiting for a two year deal, and Wolfe can't practice for another week or so. He' s just getting reps because there are not a lot of people to spread around. Same with the RB's, mcgahee not at practice and Knowshon is recovering just like Johnson. Lots of reps for guys who will be practice squad or special teams at best.

Chef Zambini
05-31-2012, 09:29 PM
so a team has hold-outs at a position...
so they get a patsy from the media to write a nice article on their replacement to bring the hold-out back to the bargaining table,
and they promise the writer some exclusive nuggets down the road to repay him for this 'service'
now does that sound like any team we know?
just sayin'