PDA

View Full Version : Paige: John Elway's final desire is to become an owner

Denver Native (Carol)
05-31-2012, 09:45 AM
They are E-Broncos.

John Elway's team ... again and more so.

But how long will he stay this time, and will Elway end up as minority, or even majority, owner of the Broncos?

Sixteen months ago I wrote: "The savior of the Broncos in 1983 could be the best man to salvage the franchise in 2010. John Elway. Why not hire the most successful, renowned and honored player in Broncos history to a newly created position of executive vice president, football operations? Why not let The Duke of Denver help turn around the team that has been characterized as a 'laughingstock of the NFL?' "

Nobody is laughing now.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_20746724/john-elways-final-desire-is-become-an-owner

Chef Zambini
05-31-2012, 09:58 AM
nice article, upl;ifting.
JE did take out the trash!
not mentioned in the article, goodman and tuten.

The Glue Factory
05-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Since rumors of Elway joining the Broncos, I have said this is Bowlen's way of finding a good owner for the Broncos. Bowlen's family has no interest in owning any sports team let alone the Broncos. Bowlen has longed to bring Elway into ownership of the Broncos but the opportunity wasn't right until last year. Kaiser posed a huge barrier (and still may) having right of first refusal to ownership interest that Bowlen wa willing to sell. Since Kaiser died a few years ago his rights may have passed to his heirs and may still be a barrier to Elway becoming owner but

silkamilkamonico
05-31-2012, 10:59 AM
So what needs to happen for
Elway to become owner, were there still snags with the Rams owner?

The Glue Factory
05-31-2012, 11:07 AM
Bowlen doesn't want Elway to be owner and exec. Makes sense. I'd say that Elway and Bowlen will be in continuous talks as to when to make the change, but for now it looks like Elway is hear to right the ship and take stress off of Bowlen so he can enjoy owning the Broncos a little bit longer.

Cugel
05-31-2012, 11:21 AM
The key paragraph in the story is this:

In December 2010, Bowlen discussed two options with Elway — becoming an executive or a minority partner, but not both. If and when Elway succeeds at one, he would become the other — either as a minority investor or a majority owner with a group, if and when Bowlen and his family determine their future with ownership of the Broncos.

"If and when Elway succeeds at one, he would become the other." Really Elway's chances of becoming the owner of the Broncos hinge on his success in building a championship team as VP of Football Operations.

If he does that, I'd imagine that Bowlen will sell him a controlling share of the team at some point. He just can't do both -- have a minority ownership interest and manage the team.

Elway perhaps wisely chose to become the GM because he would have much more control than as minority owner. (I have no idea what the minority owner does except wait around for a chance to become the majority owner).

So far he's proven to be a success, especially in luring Peyton Manning to play for the Broncos. If that ends up in a SB appearance then Elway will have sealed Bowlen's gratitude to the point where he probably WILL wind up with a chance to own the Broncos.

(Actually he'd have to put together an investment group in which he'd have the controlling share, but he doesn't have remotely enough money by himself, the team is worth $1.1 billion and Bowlen's share is more than 1/2 of that, at least $600 million).

topscribe
05-31-2012, 11:37 AM
I'd hate to be Woody's chest, the way he pounds it.

Cugel
05-31-2012, 11:54 AM
I'd hate to be Woody's chest, the way he pounds it.

Woody is so seldom right that he has to Top! If he didn't promote his occasional successes, people would think he NEVER has a clue what's going on, instead of the truth -- he has an occasional lightning bug flash in the cavernous darkness.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-31-2012, 02:04 PM
Since rumors of Elway joining the Broncos, I have said this is Bowlen's way of finding a good owner for the Broncos. Bowlen's family has no interest in owning any sports team let alone the Broncos. Bowlen has longed to bring Elway into ownership of the Broncos but the opportunity wasn't right until last year. Kaiser posed a huge barrier (and still may) having right of first refusal to ownership interest that Bowlen wa willing to sell. Since Kaiser died a few years ago his rights may have passed to his heirs and may still be a barrier to Elway becoming owner but

Besides Pat, there are other Bowlens' listed as far as having something to do with the Broncos.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/staff-directory.html

The Glue Factory
05-31-2012, 03:33 PM
That would be Bowlen's son (John) who is listed as a director. According to Bloomberg (investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/person.asp?personId=12503194&privcapId=6802901&previousCapId=21975862&previousTitle=CIRRUS%20ENERGY%20CORP)

He serves as Director of the Denver Broncos Football Club of the National Football League and was its Owner.

Indicating he has no ownership in the Broncos and supported by the fact that he is CEO of an oil company.

rationalfan
05-31-2012, 03:58 PM
Woody is so seldom right that he has to Top! If he didn't promote his occasional successes, people would think he NEVER has a clue what's going on, instead of the truth -- he has an occasional lightning bug flash in the cavernous darkness.

woody's a very good columnist, he should promote his own merits. remember, just because his opinions don't mesh with yours doesn't mean he "sucks." he's just different.

also, of all the people working at the denver post, woody gives us the best inside broncos information.

topscribe
05-31-2012, 04:08 PM
woody's a very good columnist, he should promote his own merits. remember, just because his opinions don't mesh with yours doesn't mean he "sucks." he's just different.

also, of all the people working at the denver post, woody gives us the best inside broncos information.
:pound:

Simple Jaded
05-31-2012, 08:41 PM
Woody Paige is an asshat.......

Day1BroncoFan
05-31-2012, 09:38 PM
Apparently, you guys Rs not on the same Paige. :lol:

tomjonesrocks
05-31-2012, 11:36 PM
I think you need to have more than 1-2 bad years to be the "laughingstock of the NFL".

Am glad things are turning around--but still not 100 percent confident the team is better off than the year before Shanny was fired.

Superchop 7
06-01-2012, 01:56 PM
In a written statement, the Broncos said the jury's decision, "combined with Kaiser's decision to abandon fraud claims previously put before the court, as well as a prior court order, eliminates any chance of Edgar Kaiser owning or receiving any portion of ownership of the Denver Broncos."

Elway testified during the trial that it was common knowledge within the organization that members of Bowlen's family had some ownership involvement.

Elway also testified that Bowlen offered him a deal to buy up to a 20 percent stake in the team and work for Bowlen, eventually becoming chief operations officer. Elway said he turned down the offer because he didn't want to be a minority shareholder.

Source: ESPN (Back in the day)

Denver Native (Carol)
06-01-2012, 03:58 PM
I was hanging out in John Elway’s office today. I was interviewing the Broncos’ football operations boss for a Sunday story. We brought up the column today by the Denver Post’s Woody Paige, who mentioned Elway ultimately would like to own the Broncos.

“First of all this is Pat Bowlen’s team,” Elway said. “I got into this to do what I’m doing now. Mr. Bowlen’s been great to me not only as a player but he’s given me an opportunity to be in the position now to help try and hopefully win a world championship.

“There is no discussion because I’m happy right where I am. This is Pat Bowlen and his family’s team. We’re going to try and live up to the expectations he has.”

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/05/31/elway-content-current-role/13844/

Npba900
06-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Bowlen doesn't want Elway to be owner and exec. Makes sense. I'd say that Elway and Bowlen will be in continuous talks as to when to make the change, but for now it looks like Elway is hear to right the ship and take stress off of Bowlen so he can enjoy owning the Broncos a little bit longer.

Elway being GM and owner can work. Al Davis had both titles and from the 60's to the late 90's and early 00's it worked great for Raiders.

Canmore
06-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Elway being GM and owner can work. Al Davis had both titles and from the 60's to the late 90's and early 00's it worked great for Raiders.

It worked for a while but ultimately was a disaster. Big Al didn't know when the game had passed him by.

MOtorboat
06-03-2012, 06:07 PM
I think you need to have more than 1-2 bad years to be the "laughingstock of the NFL".

Am glad things are turning around--but still not 100 percent confident the team is better off than the year before Shanny was fired.

It was less than one year. Some will have you believe it was 20.

BroncoWave
06-03-2012, 06:42 PM
It was less than one year. Some will have you believe it was 20.

While I agree with your sentiment, it wasn't quite that little a time. After starting 6-0 a few years back, the runs of 2-8, 4-12, and 1-4 (7-24 total) in back to back to back years was laughing stock material.

DenBronx
06-03-2012, 07:11 PM

Never capitalize raiders. They are beneath us.

MOtorboat
06-03-2012, 08:10 PM
While I agree with your sentiment, it wasn't quite that little a time. After starting 6-0 a few years back, the runs of 2-8, 4-12, and 1-4 (7-24 total) in back to back to back years was laughing stock material.

30 years. 3 losing seasons. It's not that bad.

BroncoWave
06-03-2012, 08:25 PM
30 years. 3 losing seasons. It's not that bad.

Oh I completely agree. I was just saying it was a little over a year that we were dreadfully bad. Not less.

The Glue Factory
06-04-2012, 02:52 PM

I didn't say it couldn't. It won't happen right now as Bowlen does not want John to have ownership and be an executive simultaneously.