PDA

View Full Version : Lang, Kircus, Veal Among Broncos' Expected Cuts

Tned
08-27-2007, 06:43 PM
It looks like Kircus run with the Broncos is over:

Lang, Kircus, Veal Among Broncos' Expected Cuts

(AP) ENGLEWOOD, Colo. Defensive linemen Kenard Lang and wide receiver-returner David Kircus are among those expected to be released by the Denver Broncos on Tuesday.

Others who were absent Monday when the Broncos began preparations for their last preseason game were: defensive lineman Demetrin Veal; kicker Brandon Pace; wide receiver David Terrell; running backs Cedric Cobbs and Troy Fleming; and tight end Teyo Johnson.

Coach Mike Shanahan declined to discuss any of the players because the cuts won't be official until Tuesday's deadline for teams to trim their rosters to 75.

Final cuts will come on Saturday.

Kircus is facing an Oct. 2 arraignment on a second-degree assault charge stemming from a May 20 fight that sent a man to the hospital with facial fractures.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/local_story_239164635.html

topscribe
08-27-2007, 06:47 PM
It would have helped, had he held onto a few more passes. But, more than that,
it might have been a talent logjam. With Walker, Marshall, Stokley, and Hixon,
only one spot was left to fight over, and there are some younger, faster
competitors there. I figured Kirkus gone some time ago.

-----

Lonestar
08-27-2007, 08:21 PM
sounds about right to me many bodies in front of him let alone going to court. talk about a double whammy.

TXBRONC
08-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Veal was far gone conclusion from day one because he's not type of defensive tackle that Bates likes.

Broncos Mtnman
08-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Kircus wasn't too much of a surprise. Performance issues aside, Shanny just doesn't tolerate off-the-field distractions.

I was a little surprised about Lang though.

topscribe
08-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Kircus wasn't too much of a surprise. Performance issues aside, Shanny just doesn't tolerate off-the-field distractions.

I was a little surprised about Lang though.
Initially, I was a little surprised about Lang. But he essentially is the same
type as Moss/Dumervil . . . the pass rusher who is marginal against the run
(although Doom is proving better than advertised there). So, with those guys
younger and faster, and the need to include some power guys, or at least DEs
that are better against the run, it becomes reasonable to expect Lang to go.

-----

Broncos Mtnman
08-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Initially, I was a little surprised about Lang. But he essentially is the same
type as Moss/Dumervil . . . the pass rusher who is marginal against the run
(although Doom is proving better than advertised there). So, with those guys
younger and faster, and the need to include some power guys, or at least DEs
that are better against the run, it becomes reasonable to expect Lang to go.

-----

On NFL Network, there was a reference made from Shanny to the press that Elvis is better against the run than they originally thought, and actually says that he was being mis-cast as being only a pass rushing DE.

He did pretty well Saturday, playing on more than just 3rd down.

TXBRONC
08-27-2007, 10:21 PM
There really isn't to much that surprises me when it come to the Broncos and the personnel moves they make. It is what it is.

Lonestar
08-27-2007, 10:28 PM
On NFL Network, there was a reference made from Shanny to the press that Elvis is better against the run than they originally thought, and actually says that he was being mis-cast as being only a pass rushing DE.

He did pretty well Saturday, playing on more than just 3rd down.

Just getting ready to watch the game on TIVO will keep an eye out for it.

keithbishop
08-28-2007, 05:07 AM
No surprises. Lang had his moments last season, but wasn't the answer. Looks like Kircus lost his job to Hixon, which is a step in the right direction.

Tned
08-28-2007, 08:18 AM
No surprises. Lang had his moments last season, but wasn't the answer. Looks like Kircus lost his job to Hixon, which is a step in the right direction.

While Kircus was a feel good story (at least before the drunken brawl), Hixson has shown some flashes in preseason and hopefully will add some depth at WR.

TXBRONC
08-28-2007, 08:21 AM
Just getting ready to watch the game on TIVO will keep an eye out for it.

Make sure you wear your glasses. :p

anton...
08-28-2007, 08:22 AM
when are the official cuts going to be known??

we have like 20 players to cut from our current 90 something squad...

and anton wants to know!!

:shake:
________
Paxil lawyers (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/paxil/)

Retired_Member_001
08-28-2007, 12:22 PM
With Lang cut it just proves that Shanahan and Bates think that Elvis Dumervil and Jarvis Moss are going to do a good job, maybe Crowder aswell but we have heard more from Shanahan and Bates about Dumeveril and Moss. With Ebenezer out for the season I am not sure cutting Lang was the greatest idea but again it looks like Jarvis Moss and Elvis Dumervil are going to be the main focus on the Defensive Line.

I don't give a (ROOOAAAR) about Kircus. He would be a perfect for the Faiders, good in the pre-season but horrible in the regular season.

Veal was going to be pretty much useless for us this season anyway so it was the right decision to cut him.

Lonestar
08-28-2007, 01:12 PM
when are the official cuts going to be known??

we have like 20 players to cut from our current 90 something squad...

and anton wants to know!!

:shake:

I think it is 83 to 75 today sometime.

TXBRONC
08-28-2007, 03:43 PM
I think it is 83 to 75 today sometime.

I think it is 75 that they have to trim the roster too.