PDA

View Full Version : Advertising logos on unis? Broncos alter their practice

Lonestar
06-08-2009, 02:35 AM
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

With the right deal, the Broncos could develop a new set of catchy nicknames.

How about Motorola Moreno? Conoco Clady? Maybe even Bank of America Brandon Marshall? (He wishes.)

Coming soon to Dove Valley: Advertisements on the Broncos' practice jerseys.

"That is something we're exploring as we move forward in 2009," said Joe Ellis, the Broncos' chief operating officer.

First, teams started selling their stadium naming rights to corporations. Now, there are going to be advertisements on practice jerseys. Could this mean the next generation will some day refer to the local 11 as the Xcel Energy Broncos or, ahem, Chevrolet Broncos?

"No plans at all for that," said Brian McCarthy, NFL vice president of corporate communications. "To quote your former basketball player: 'This is practice. We're talking about practice.' "

It's all part of the NFL's ever-increasing need to raise more revenue. Besides selling advertisement patches to companies that want to see their logos on Broncos players practice jerseys — and the midweek 10 p.m. sportscasts — the league has loosened its sponsorship policies regarding state lotteries.

And, yes, for the first time at least since the demolition of Mile High Stadium, the Broncos and the Colorado Lottery are in the process of forging a relationship.

Until this year, the league allowed state lotteries to advertise their logos in stadiums and game programs. Ellis thought the Colorado Lottery might have advertised at their old Mile High Stadium but not since the team moved to Invesco Field at Mile High in 2001.

What's new this year is NFL teams can also put their logos on lottery tickets. Eventually, those Colorado scratch-ticket winners may have to first rub off a series of Broncos helmets or logos.

"Now that the door has been opened somewhat, we're in discussions with the state lottery, and we're hopeful we can establish a partnership with them," Ellis said.

Previously, state lotteries fell under the NFL's prohibited gambling umbrella. But with the economy sagging and other sports already connecting with state lotteries, the NFL decided to revisit its policy.

"I think we were the last in," McCarthy said. "In regard to gambling, our concern is betting on the outcome of NFL games. This has nothing to do with a real sporting event. We became increasingly comfortable in loosening those restrictions. And as people know, the state uses lotteries to fund public issues."

The Colorado Lottery supports the state's parks, recreation and education programs. Coors will not be supporting the Broncos' practice sessions. While the NFL has sponsorship deals with beer and distilled spirits companies, it doesn't allow its players to have any participation in beer or tobacco ads.

But if Coca-Cola wants to practice with Champ, or a certain computer company likes the ring of D.J., Dawkins and Dell, then the Broncos are open to a new way of doing business.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12542470?source=rss

JKcatch724
06-08-2009, 03:43 AM
Oh sweet Jesus............ really?

:tsk:

BroncoTech
06-08-2009, 04:12 AM
They might try to get advertising but look at the NFL network, they basically run 100% PSA's for United Way.

Nomad
06-08-2009, 07:26 AM
I don't see anything wrong with advertising during the practices as I usually don't see the BRONCOS. I would have a problem if they do this to gameday uniforms.

MasterShake
06-08-2009, 07:31 AM
I don't see anything wrong with advertising during the practices as I usually don't see the BRONCOS. I would have a problem if they do this to gameday uniforms.

Sounds like this could be a practice run for that. As you've stated, you (and most people) don't SEE the Broncos practice and advertisement needs lots of eyes. Its bad enough that movies and products are advertised on Madden in the background. I don't want the uniforms looking like NASCAR driver uniforms.

Nomad
06-08-2009, 07:34 AM
Sounds like this could be a practice run for that. As you've stated, you (and most people) don't SEE the Broncos practice and advertisement needs lots of eyes. Its bad enough that movies and products are advertised on Madden in the background. I don't want the uniforms looking like NASCAR driver uniforms.

If that's the case, maybe after the new CBA they'll start opening all the mini-camps and training camps for the public to see.;)

JKcatch724
06-08-2009, 01:15 PM
First, it's the practice jerseys. Then it's on the 25 yardline. Next thing you know, the horse on the helmet is replaced by that creepy ******* Burger King guy.

lex
06-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Like the NFL doesnt make enough money. Pathetic.

underrated29
06-08-2009, 01:44 PM
THEY cant have it on game day jerseys or anything...They have a contract with reebok? Or is that the NHL....Anyways they have a contract with nike or reebok or someone, so they cant do that.

Days of the nascar future for football wont happen luckily.
Thats why Mike Nolan had such a hard time getting authorization to wear his suits.

In the NHL EVERYTHING is RBK. They are not allowed to wear even shoes or socks that arent RBK on the bench or in any manner that is affiliated with the teams.

MasterShake
06-08-2009, 02:10 PM
THEY cant have it on game day jerseys or anything...They have a contract with reebok? Or is that the NHL....Anyways they have a contract with nike or reebok or someone, so they cant do that.

Days of the nascar future for football wont happen luckily.
Thats why Mike Nolan had such a hard time getting authorization to wear his suits.

In the NHL EVERYTHING is RBK. They are not allowed to wear even shoes or socks that arent RBK on the bench or in any manner that is affiliated with the teams.

Remember in 96/97 when the Broncos changed their uniforms and NIKE was the official sponsor? Apparently the orange stripe on the pants was supposed to replicate the NIKE swoop when the linemen go down into position. Wonder if there was any truth to that?

Requiem / The Dagda
06-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Motorola Moreno? No thanks. Mac-11 Moreno would work, because he straight up killin' shit on the field.

underrated29
06-08-2009, 10:15 PM
or maybe something for rolex...

Knowshon Moreno the "Minute Man"

That wasnt very good, was it?
:tsk:

BroncoJoe
06-08-2009, 10:33 PM
I could really care less.

Simple Jaded
06-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Ryan Torain could be sponsored by Aflac.......

slim
06-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Jay Cutler could be sponsored by Pampers...if he was still here.

anton...
06-09-2009, 02:03 AM
who cares??

nfl is a business last i checked... and these ads wont affect my football experience...

muse
06-09-2009, 02:22 AM
I wouldn't mind a few sponsors on the jerseys (note a few) if they cut down the amount of in-game TV advertising (like pretty much every other sport in the world) but I know that's not going to happen.

Dortoh
06-09-2009, 10:43 AM
The Defense could sport some "I cant believe its not butter" logos

Gamechanger
06-09-2009, 10:51 AM
The Defense could sport some "I cant believe its not butter" logos

or snuggles, seeing how soft they were ;)

Lonestar
06-09-2009, 03:32 PM
I wouldn't mind a few sponsors on the jerseys (note a few) if they cut down the amount of in-game TV advertising (like pretty much every other sport in the world) but I know that's not going to happen.

hey I tape/DVR the games and blow through the commercials..

What really pisses me off are those little pop up ads/graphics for some stupid series the channel is promoting.. for later that evening..

I have written the networks and told them I do not watch them because of this policy.. it was having an opposite effect on me and many others..