PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News projected most dominant players for 2009

Spiritguy
06-07-2009, 10:34 PM
A few interesting folks on this list and a few I question. Nice to see Clady acknowledged again.

RealScouts, Sporting News' team of former NFL scouts, projects the 25 players it expects to be most dominant in the upcoming season. (posted 6 Jun 09)

It's important to understand a couple of things. First, there are only 25 players on the list. By the time injury replacements were named, 97 players qualified for the Pro Bowl last season. So RealScouts had to skim the cream of the cream. Second, the overall list represents the 25 players they expect to be the best in 2009. In other words, it's a projection, not a salute to the past.

1. Peyton Manning, QB, Colts. His football IQ is unmatched. He's remarkably accurate, the ultimate competitor and indispensable.

2. Adrian Peterson, RB, Vikings. He already is the NFL's best runner, and coaches say they'll finally throw him the ball this year.

3. Tom Brady, QB, Patriots. Brady and the Patriots feel like their '08 season was taken from them. He's healthy, and it's payback time.

4. DeMarcus Ware, OLB, Cowboys. He is a game-changer -- an elite pass rusher with a stunning combination of size, speed, strength and agility.

5. Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Cardinals. His postseason run is the stuff little boys and grown men dream about.

6. James Harrison, OLB, Steelers. His biggest plays come as a pass rusher, but he does everything well. A complete and dominant player, Harrison wants to prove '08 was no fluke.

7. Ed Reed, S, Ravens. An instinctive ballhawk, Reed is a future Hall of Famer and will continue to flourish in a system that won't change with the departure of Rex Ryan.

8. Andre Johnson, WR, Texans. He was unstoppable when the Texans had no one else to stop. With improved depth at wideout and the emergence of RB Steve Slaton and TE Owen Daniels, Johnson could move up the list.

9. Troy Polamalu, S, Steelers. The catalyst for the Steelers' Super Bowl runs, he is tough, smart, instinctive and versatile.

10. Reggie Wayne, WR, Colts. He has been the Colts' go-to guy for a couple of years, a guy who can make something special happen on every touch. Marvin Harrison's departure won't have an impact.

11. Shawne Merriman, OLB, Chargers. After a year on the sideline, he is determined to be a force again, and coordinator Ron Rivera will make that happen. If Merriman is healthy, he'll be the focus of an elite defense.

12. Nnamdi Asomugha, CB, Raiders. When Peyton Manning avoids Asomugha's side of the field, it tells you all you need to know about this guy. He is the NFL's top cover corner.

13. Drew Brees, QB, Saints. Reggie Bush, Jeremy Shockey and Marques Colston missed 15 games combined last year, and Brees -- with his quick release and dead-on accuracy -- still threw for 5,000 yards. With all his weapons in place, he'll lead the Saints back to the playoffs.

14. Jared Allen, DE, Vikings. He is an elite pass rusher and also is a force against the run who never gives up on a play. He is tough, playing through knee and shoulder injuries in '08.

15. Albert Haynesworth, DT, Redskins. He is a dominant run defender with the size and quickness to also be a disruptive pass rusher. His production might not justify his contract, but he'll absolutely improve the Redskins' defense in '09.

16. Ryan Clady, OT, Broncos. Standard bearers Walter Jones and Orlando Pace still are good, but Clady was the NFL's best pass protector as a rookie, and the biggest improvement in most NFL players comes between Years 1 and 2.

17. Julius Peppers, DE, Panthers. If he is going to play in '09, it's going to be in Carolina. He is coming off a career year, and the team is poised for another playoff run. If he can "accept" his $16.7 million, one-year contract, he should dominate again.

18. Jason Witten, TE, Cowboys. With Terrell Owens out of the picture, Witten will get even more looks from pal Tony Romo. Witten is an excellent blocker with the speed, hands and route-running ability to remain a top receiving threat.

19. Anquan Boldin, WR, Cardinals. A big, physical receiver, he makes his biggest plays after the catch. He shows great toughness catching balls over the middle, too.

20. Randy Moss, WR, Patriots. No one is more excited about the return of Brady than Moss. The two were unstoppable in '07, and there is little reason to think they won't pick up where they left off.

21. Brian Urlacher, MLB, Bears. Urlacher had a down year in '08, but with improved play up front, there's no reason he can't reassert himself as the do-it-all middle man in the Bears' cover 2 scheme.

22. Steve Hutchinson, G, Vikings. Peterson should be thankful for Hutchinson, one of the most physical and dominant run blockers in the game.

23. Dwight Freeney, DE, Colts. With 10 1/2 sacks, Freeney enjoyed a bounce-back year in '08. When healthy, his speed off the edge is unmatched.

24. Kevin Williams, DT, Vikings. The potential for a four-game suspension hurts his ranking, but he is one of the few players who can't be blocked one-on-one. He regularly beats double-teams and is an absolute force inside.

25. Steven Jackson, RB, Rams. The Rams will use a West Coast-style offense in '09 with a quarterback who never has played in the system and an inexperienced receiving unit. Jackson, a workhorse when healthy, will be more important than ever.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=557654

honz
06-07-2009, 10:41 PM
I'd bet good money that Clady gives up more than a half a sack this year...that's just hard to duplicate. I look for him to improve his run blocking and still be a dominant pass blocker...but give up another sack or two.

dogfish
06-07-2009, 11:20 PM
pretty solid list, although i don't think urlacher or witten belong on it. . . .

Magnificent Seven
06-07-2009, 11:27 PM
Thanks God, we have Ryan Clady. Cutler is gonna miss him.

Bad Intentions
06-08-2009, 12:16 AM
I'd bet good money that Clady gives up more than a half a sack this year...that's just hard to duplicate. I look for him to improve his run blocking and still be a dominant pass blocker...but give up another sack or two.

Especially when you consider that he won't have Jay Cutler making up for some of those would be sacks on his own.

Bet he'll give up 4 or 5 sacks, but I'll also bet that he'll develop into a much better run blocker as well. If you watch him during the first quarter of the season and then again during the 3rd quarter, you see a completely different LT in the run blocking department. Also interesting that Hillis had a lot of success running to the left. Is Hillis left handed?

Northman
06-08-2009, 12:20 AM
You mean Jay wasnt on top of the list? Wow

Gamechanger
06-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Peyton #1

Reggie rounding out at #10

and D. Free at #23?

hmmm...awesome

Poet
06-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Haynesworth should have been in the top five. Defensive lineman make defenses and he is by far the best defensive lineman in the NFL.

Gamechanger
06-08-2009, 12:55 AM
Haynesworth should have been in the top five. Defensive lineman make defenses and he is by far the best defensive lineman in the NFL.

true, but he's going to Washington with a fat contract

he was injury prone, unmotivated & lazy with the Titans

now he'll be highly paid, injury prone, unmotivated & lazy with the Redskins

i think his rating is accurate

Poet
06-08-2009, 12:59 AM
true, but he's going to Washington with a fat contract

he was injury prone, unmotivated & lazy with the Titans

now he'll be highly paid, injury prone, unmotivated & lazy with the Redskins

i think his rating is accurate

I think you could spin it two ways. I could very well argue that after the head stomp incident he was not injury prone, not lazy, and very well motivated.

Make no mistake about it, he was the best defensive player in the NFL last year. The issue is that it is way easier for fans and sportswriters to go "he had sacks therefore he is good". It's the same reason why I laugh when people tell me that Troy Polamalu is the best player on the Steelers defense; the reality is that his defensive NT Casey Hampton allows the entire scheme to work which enables Troy P to play his "where the hell am I going to be" game.

There has not been a more dominant defensive lineman in the league for years. That includes any defensive end, 3-4 NT, and 4-3 DT.

I think holding his contact against him is unfair. Why don't I see more guys on that list who have smaller contracts? Fair is fair right? There are some young guys who tear it up on their rookie contracts. If you judge a guy on his contract then that list should have a lot of guys on "the cheap" who do really well.

It's just a bunch of crapola. This list blows.

Poet
06-08-2009, 01:07 AM
More proof that this guy is just wrong.

16. Ryan Clady, OT, Broncos. Standard bearers Walter Jones and Orlando Pace still are good, but Clady was the NFL's best pass protector as a rookie, and the biggest improvement in most NFL players comes between Years 1 and 2

Clady is a monster. I love his game, and I think he could be higher. That pick is not my issue.

But listen to this awesome reasoning...

Walter Jones and Pace are still good? They both are old injury prone tackles. The Rams cut Pace for an unknown player to TAKE HIS PLACE.

Jones suffered a big leg injury and I recall hearing people talk about his retirement because of it.

Clady is probably my pick to be the next great LT in the NFL. I would say that I am a fan of placing a player on that level after they do it consistently, but if that is not how you rank them then this is fine and a defendable position.

I do recall someone in the thread making the statement that Jay Cutler helped out his sack production. Now, because of Jay's style of play he helped AND hurt. Jay extended a lot of plays for the Broncos last year. That means that that Clady would not benefit because he would have to block people longer. By that same token, Jay also had a quick release.

I think it evens out in the end. That being said, I casually watch the Broncos, so I could be wrong.

MasterShake
06-08-2009, 08:02 AM
3. Tom Brady, QB, Patriots. Brady and the Patriots feel like their '08 season was taken from them. He's healthy, and it's payback time.

I'm sorry, but I almost spit out my drink on my computer reading this one. Like Tom Brady is looking in the mirror applying face paint under his eyes, staring intensely as the anger builds up inside him. His fist clenches as he can not wait to unleash his mighty Tom-Fury on the NFL. :mad:

I hope the Patriots rot in the cellar this year. Yeah I'm vindictive, so what? I'm also gonna root against the Bears every chance I get. :D

atwater27
06-08-2009, 08:12 AM
You mean Jay wasnt on top of the list? Wow

And who here thought he was better than Peyton or Drew? Cute.

atwater27
06-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks God, we have Ryan Clady. Cutler is gonna miss him.

He is going to miss Cutler. Guy could avoid the pass rush pretty well.

CoachChaz
06-08-2009, 08:37 AM
pretty solid list, although i don't think urlacher or witten belong on it. . . .

I'll agree with Urlacher, but without T.O. around to whine and add pressure...and with the absence of a true #1 receiver, Romo is going to be able to utilize Witten as his primary weapon. With a healthy Barber, Jones and Choice, the play action will be used a lot and I'd be surprised if Witten didnt catch 90-100 balls this year and lead all TE's in receptions, yards and TD's

CoachChaz
06-08-2009, 08:39 AM

Wont be much difference. The new offense will be designed to utilize shorter routes, so the QB's wont be holding the ball quite as long while waiting for a receiver to get 30 yards downfield so they can force a pass to them in triple coverage.

Clady's job might actually get a little easier

broncohead
06-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Wont be much difference. The new offense will be designed to utilize shorter routes, so the QB's wont be holding the ball quite as long while waiting for a receiver to get 30 yards downfield so they can force a pass to them in triple coverage.

Cassel was sacked 47 times...

Poet
06-08-2009, 10:11 AM
I'll agree with Urlacher, but without T.O. around to whine and add pressure...and with the absence of a true #1 receiver, Romo is going to be able to utilize Witten as his primary weapon. With a healthy Barber, Jones and Choice, the play action will be used a lot and I'd be surprised if Witten didnt catch 90-100 balls this year and lead all TE's in receptions, yards and TD's

Witten is going to kill people. The Cowboys still have a servicable WR corps and Witten is insanely consistent. I actually expect the Cowboys to have a better offense this year.

SoCalImport
06-08-2009, 10:19 AM

I for one was scared whenever Cutty broke the pocket but was still looking down field. He'd just as easily make an AWEFUL decision as not in those instances.
Why o why was the idea of throwing it out of bounds so difficult for him?

SoCalImport
06-08-2009, 10:21 AM

Pats line last year vrs. the Broncos? Apples and oranges, my friend.

dogfish
06-08-2009, 05:53 PM

don't get me wrong, i have a ton of respect for witten's ability-- he's a hell of a player, no doubt about it. . . i agree that he should do better statistically this year, as they'll be free to feature him more without worrying about placating TO's ego (although i also think witten will have to work harder for catches and yards without a dominant receiver drawing extra attention over the top-- roy williams is solid, but he just doesn't command the same level of respect as TO). . . i don't doubt that witten could easily lead all TEs in catches, yards and TDs-- but even if he does, is he really more dominant than a wideout like calvin johnson, steve smith or roddy white? those guys all put up 1,300+ yards last year, which i don't see witten matching, and at least 6 TDs (CJ had 12)-- not to mention opening up the field for the rest of the offense. . .

i'm also not convinced that witten will be more dominant or valuable than guys like mario williams, osi and justin tuck, or patrick willis. . . it's all projection anyways, so it's not like there's a right or wrong answer-- but i'd probably put some of those guys ahead of witten, as good as he is. . . .

Lonestar
06-08-2009, 06:00 PM

well jay is going to get lots of opportunities this year.. ahahahahahahahaha

atwater27
06-08-2009, 06:13 PM

Yet his chances for a championship slipped farther away...

dogfish
06-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Pats line last year vrs. the Broncos? Apples and oranges, my friend.

not nearly as much so as you might think if you only look at those 47 sacks-- the pats line is actually quite good. . . despite getting handled by the giants' incredible DL in the super bowl, the same line that let cassel get sacked 47 times in '08 gave up a much more respectable 21 sacks in '07, when they were good enough to block for the best offense (at least statistically) in the history of the league. . .

a ton of those sacks were on cassel, not the line or the system. . . his lack of experience going through his progressions, average release speed, indecisiveness and penchant to hold the ball too long were all contributing factors. . .

i do think it's fair to say that our line will miss cutler's escapability and quick feet in the pocket to some degree, but i still think they're good enough that our pass protection should be fine. . . clady really is a monster, and we're playing a guy with left tackle skills at right tackle. . . besides which, the selection of both moreno and richard quinn suggests to me that we'll be running the ball plenty this year. . .

Poet
06-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Yet his chances for a championship slipped farther away...

No they didn't. Jay Cutler is a good QB but the loss of him as a player is overrated. Especially since he forced his way out of Denver.

topscribe
06-08-2009, 08:55 PM

So he's going to miss Clady, and he has never had him . . . :lol:

-----

atwater27
06-08-2009, 11:22 PM
No they didn't. Jay Cutler is a good QB but the loss of him as a player is overrated. Especially since he forced his way out of Denver.

McDaniels forced him out. Let's rehash this. Again.

slim
06-08-2009, 11:24 PM

Why rehash? You are still wrong.

atwater27
06-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Why rehash? You are still wrong.

The majority of the NFL and the national sportswriters agree with me. Just stick to lighting your own farts.

Elevation inc
06-09-2009, 08:27 AM

no actually bowlen made the final call and forced him out....and i might add cutler went rather willingly

MCD and cutler both have fault in that saga, but the owner made the final call for both them since neither could be men and squash shite that needed to be squashed

Poet
06-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Jay Cutler demanded a trade. End of story. What lead up to that is a long series of half facts and speculation.

He said trade me. The Denver Broncos said "poof, be gone beyotch".

Atwater, I am here if you need me, man. I will help you cope through the pain and agony.

topscribe
06-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Jay Cutler demanded a trade. End of story. What lead up to that is a long series of half facts and speculation.

Atwater, I am here if you need me, man. I will help you cope through the pain and agony.

Well, that's an interesting way to put it. :laugh:

-----

Poet
06-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Well, that's an interesting way to put it. :laugh:

-----

I keeps it real. :beer:

Gamechanger
06-09-2009, 02:51 PM

http://r9.fodey.com/2057/03d13a2f5bfd4cbda139191f3427ae26.0.gif (http://www.fodey.com/generators/animated/ninjatext.asp)

atwater27
06-09-2009, 06:04 PM

McDaniels forced him out. A fact. end of story. You can still hold me.

atwater27
06-09-2009, 06:05 PM
http://r9.fodey.com/2057/03d13a2f5bfd4cbda139191f3427ae26.0.gif (http://www.fodey.com/generators/animated/ninjatext.asp)

What's up with your sig, man? What does it mean?

Lonestar
06-09-2009, 06:25 PM
McDaniels forced him out. A fact. end of story. You can still hold me.

yep Josh call blocked all of Pats phone calls.. that is why jay failed to return them.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Now we know the rest of the story..:salute:

dogfish
06-09-2009, 11:43 PM
"Sporting News projected most dominant players for 2009" seems like a reeeeal strange thread to rehash cutlergate. . . .

:confused:

:focus: