PDA

View Full Version : The best secondary in the afcw....

T.K.O.
06-06-2009, 04:09 PM
hands down its gonna be the broncos.
another thing that kinda got forgotten in the cutler drama is the fact that we picked up alot of talent in free agency.
dawkins,no he's not washed up at all.he will be a HUGE factor in turning around our miserable takaway #s
renaldo hill is damn good ,smith = ? but a huge upside and is a gamechanger.
we are going to be a ball hawking D,we might still get pounded in the running game ,but i bet we'll be in the + turnover margin.
and that alone will give us a fighting chance !
and the fact that we will have actual safeties and corners that dont get burned every other play (shhhhh.....dont tell dre bly i said that )
should improve us to a mid pack or better D !:defense:

broncohead
06-06-2009, 04:26 PM
It was talked about when Bly came that we might have one of the best passing D but we didnt' get a pass rush and couldn't stop the run which both effects the DBs ability to cover. Then we started getting burned in the passing game. Can't expect the secondary to cover a man for 5+ seconds.

dogfish
06-06-2009, 04:32 PM
i hope that's the case, but IMO it's really going to be dependent on whether we can generate more pass rush than we have the past few years. . . . remember, people all talked about how many picks we were going to get with bly playing across from champ, but it never materialized. . . . as much as we now have invested in the secondary, they absolutely SHOULD play well, but you can o0nly cover so many guys for so long if the QB can sit back and go through his progressions with no pressure. . . .

did we do enough this offseason to address the rush? i know we all have high hopes for ayers, but otherwise we're looking at the same guys from last year. . . we'll see if the scheme change and new coaching staff can get some production from guys like moss and crowder, and whether doom can bounce back from a down year while also learning a new position. . . IF the rush can improve then the secondary should be solid-- but if it doesn't, we may find ourselves not very happy about the decision to pass on everette brown and connor barwin for alphonso smith, and lawrence sidbury for david bruton. . .

dogfish
06-06-2009, 04:32 PM
hah. . . beat me to it while i was typing. . . .

ikillz0mbies
06-06-2009, 05:47 PM
No pass rush=secondary looks like crap. I'm hoping the Broncos get some kind of pass rush this year so the secondary can really shine.

BTW, who's the chick in your avatar dogfish? She's a cutie.

dogfish
06-06-2009, 05:49 PM
No pass rush=secondary looks like crap. I'm hoping the Broncos get some kind of pass rush this year so the secondary can really shine.

BTW, who's the chick in your avatar dogfish? She's a cutie.

she's a model from the site suicide girls-- don't know what her real name is, they don't use them. . . .

ikillz0mbies
06-06-2009, 05:53 PM
she's a model from the site suicide girls-- don't know what her real name is, they don't use them. . . .

Gotcha...I really like the girls at SG and God's Girls :D

Anyway, what's really key this year is the defense getting turnovers. Hopefully Alphonso Smith can help with that this year despite his size.

Lonestar
06-06-2009, 06:54 PM

I think with the potential of anyone on the front seven coming and maybe even a DB blitz now and then there will be an improvement in pressure.. will we be a NYG, PIT or SAN not in the near future but it should be enough to cause some turn overs..

horsepig
06-06-2009, 08:10 PM
It was talked about when Bly came that we might have one of the best passing D but we didnt' get a pass rush and couldn't stop the run which both effects the DBs ability to cover. Then we started getting burned in the passing game. Can't expect the secondary to cover a man for 5+ seconds.

It also did not help that we had the worst safetieS in the history of the NFL.

T.K.O.
06-06-2009, 08:31 PM
It also did not help that we had the worst safetieS in the history of the NFL.

we wont even recognize next years d ....its gonna be a 180 degree turn around,im talking hungry ball hawking guys and champ will be free to do what he does "hit people in the mouth and get int's " dawkins will add to that qb pressure,did you see him against big ben last year...awesome !
with all the competition in camp and having a real DC we will be much improved !:beer:

ism
06-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Its probably been said a million times, but B Dawk not only will bring true production to the defense, but he will bring a once in a generation vocal leadership type guy to our last year's identity crisis(ed) defense and the entire Broncos team.

Traveler
06-08-2009, 05:28 AM
Just read in Lindy's 2009 Pro Football Annual they think Denver has the best secondary tandem (Champ & Goodman) in the AFC. They also rated Denver's drafts as an A- ( for whatever that's worth).

T.K.O.
06-08-2009, 08:47 AM
hope they're right !:defense:

broncohead
06-08-2009, 09:29 AM
I really hope some of you are right. It's hard for me to be optomistic(sp?) expecially after last year. I just want to see promise.

SOCALORADO.
06-08-2009, 11:20 AM
It wouldnt matter if Champ, Neon, Lott and Lynch were in the backfield all in their PRIME at the same time, if you dont have a pass rush, the QB will pick you apart.
If the opposing QB has time to write Chapter 14 of his autobiography after he snaps the ball, like last year, and then STILL complete a pass, DEn is in trouble. Hopefully Nolan can create schemes with Ayers and Doom that can get to the QB. Fields play is gonna be a HUGE factor as well.
The most important positional aspect for success to me will be
JACK
NT
DE
If these 3 positions are solid, not spectacular, but solid, then YES, DEN could see some serious turnover increases.

WARHORSE
06-08-2009, 11:47 AM
It wouldnt matter if Champ, Neon, Lott and Lynch were in the backfield all in their PRIME at the same time, if you dont have a pass rush, the QB will pick you apart.
If the opposing QB has time to write Chapter 14 of his autobiography after he snaps the ball, like last year, and then STILL complete a pass, DEn is in trouble. Hopefully Nolan can create schemes with Ayers and Doom that can get to the QB. Fields play is gonna be a HUGE factor as well.
The most important positional aspect for success to me will be
JACK
NT
DE
If these 3 positions are solid, not spectacular, but solid, then YES, DEN could see some serious turnover increases.

Unless youre Phillip Rivers.

He only has a paragraph in his whole autobiography.:coffee:

It begins and ends like this: I was born a 10 lb forehead with a 2 lb body......................and now I play for the Chargers and they SUCK!

T.K.O.
10-12-2009, 03:53 PM
bump........bump...bump
its twoo... ITS TWOO !

wbmustang
10-12-2009, 04:16 PM
BTW Lol @ Dre Bly yesterday. How do you start doing the prime time Deion Sanders dance when you are clearly not in the open field and not about to score. The whole time I was like I hope he fumbles and when he did I lol'd pretty hard. Singletary probably ripped him a new one too.

OldschoolFreak
10-12-2009, 04:43 PM
I remember when we brought in our previous washed up previous big name safety who was supposed to make an impact with his on field leadership. And though Lynch did act as an effective team leader, his play really was washed up--he occasionally brought the wood but didn't dominate games.

Fast forward 5 years. Brian Dawkins was supposed to be washed up in terms of his play, though all expected him to become the heart and soul of the defense. Thing is, it worked out differently this time. Far from looking washed up, he's flying all over the place and often seems to be THE key defensive player on the filed.

Badddd asssssss.

Traveler
10-13-2009, 05:06 AM
Great win for us this past Sunday, but I did notice some atrocious attempts at tackling by Andre Goodman.

For those that taped the game, take a close look at Goodman (#21) and watch how many times he shied away from making a tackle.

One one play, he even pushed the receiver forward instead of trying to tackle him. I did see on play where he finally stuck his nose in there to assist on a tackle behind the line of scrimmage.

Overall, the play of the secondary has been great.

CoachChaz
10-13-2009, 07:28 AM
The same Goodman that was 5 yards off of his assignment in the Dallas game? If Romo had looked left, they tie the game

D1g1tal j1m
10-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Our secondary has looked very good so far this year.
Champ continues to be his HOF self. Goodman has been solid on the other side and is a big upgrade to Dre "Not Primetime" Bly. Hill and Dawkins have played great at the back end with Dawkins making a whole lot of game saving tackles. Smith was solid as the nickle corner when he was healthy, but Jack has been a pleasant surprise the last 2 games.

Lonestar
10-13-2009, 11:11 AM
I remember when we brought in our previous washed up previous big name safety who was supposed to make an impact with his on field leadership. And though Lynch did act as an effective team leader, his play really was washed up--he occasionally brought the wood but didn't dominate games.

Fast forward 5 years. Brian Dawkins was supposed to be washed up in terms of his play, though all expected him to become the heart and soul of the defense. Thing is, it worked out differently this time. Far from looking washed up, he's flying all over the place and often seems to be THE key defensive player on the filed.

Badddd asssssss.

IIRC Safeties are not supposed to lead the team in tackles neither are CB's..

the schemes that John played under coyer were designed to funnel the tackles to the LB's yet Champ was almost always the leader in tackles or top 3 from 2003-2007 were John was normally right behind the LB's in total tackles..

I think we were privileged to have John as leader on this team and to have two HOF Safeties play for us in the past 5 years says alot for the defense.. please note when John left in 2008 our defense went to hell in a hand basket.. and our "backstops" were pathetic especially after champ went down..

I love the passion Dawkins brings to the game he is a great find for Josh, hope he can keep it up for a few more years till HE gets the kiddies trained....

T.K.O.
10-14-2009, 04:57 PM
broncos premium - briefs
DBs lead league in age, breakups
Posted: 10/14/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Denver Broncos

Cornerback Champ Bailey has said all season that with the experience Denver has in its secondary — it is the only team starting four players at least 30 years old at defensive back — the Broncos should get themselves in position to make some plays.

"We know where to be," Bailey said.

And after five games, the Broncos' defense has intercepted and knocked away more passes combined than any team in the league.

The Broncos have been credited with a league-leading 36 passes defended, including those knocked down by defensive linemen or linebackers in the pass rush, and are tied for fifth with six interceptions.

New Orleans has 10 interceptions and has been credited with 34 passes defended.

Orton honored.

Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton is the AFC offensive player of the week, the first time in his five-year career he has won the award. Orton completed 35-of-48 passes for 330 yards and two touchdowns in Denver's 20-17 overtime victory against the New England Patriots on Sunday.

Rested and ready.

The Chargers are coming off a bye week and already have said they consider Monday night's game against Denver a "do or die" affair.

They had a players-only meeting last Thursday before taking a three-day weekend.

Injuries.

Broncos tight end Tony Scheffler, who left Sunday's game early with a back/hip injury, is expected to be evaluated throughout the week, and it's possible he may be limited some in practice.

Brian Dawkins was held out of practice some last week with knee/shoulder pain and may miss some practice time again this week as well.

Footnotes.

Former Broncos running back Ryan Torain worked out in Green Bay. . . . The Broncos' defense is second in the league in sacks with 16. . . . Orton and rookie running back Knowshon Moreno have been nominated for two of the league's sponsored player of the week awards. Fans can vote at nfl.com.

Jeff Legwold, The Denver Post